Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lymph node recurrence

Options

Hi I am 9 years out from Invasive Carcinoma Moderately defeminated Grade II Stage 2B with 1 lymph node involved. I underwent a radical mastectomy followed by 6 rounds of chemotherapy and 5 years of Femara.

I had a mamo followed by an ultrasound where they saw abnormal lymph node that was watched for 6 months. When I went back the finds had changed to as follows:

FINDINGS:
Several left axillary lymph nodes, increased in number and size from 1/9/2024. Largest measures 1.9 x 1.8 x 1.8 cm with
rounded morphology and no clear fatty hila.

Has anyone else experienced this ? I am worrying excessively to the point of making my self sick of this being a recurrence.

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,105
    edited June 7
    Options

magbrew,

Your worry is understandable as you have had a previous dx. It is very rare to have a radical mastectomy*, which would have involved the removal of all skin, muscle, lymph nodes, and any tissue. This which would make a mammo very difficult, if not impossible , since there is no breast tissue. Since a radical mastectomy takes all of the above mentioned, is it possible you had the a simple mastectomy, which is the current standard? Could you clarify that, and also the term defeminated, please? What has your doctor said about the report?
    * Radical mastectomies are very rarely performed after in the US since about the 1970’s and would have included lymph node removal.

• magbrew
    magbrew Member Posts: 3
    Options

From my hospital report dated April 04/09/2015: it states I had a left modified radical mastectomy.

Stage II with one Lymph Node involved

90%Estrogen

70% Progesterone

Her2 negative

I apologize if you thought I had a mammogram on that side the other breast is where i had the mammography.

The ultrasound was on the same side that I had the breast removed because I thought I had felt a bump.

This is where the radiologist is saying there is suspicious cancer lymph node, I am having a biopsy on Wednesday to see what is going on with it. Below are the findings from the ultrasound this past week:

FINDINGS:
    Several left axillary lymph nodes, increased in number and size from 1/9/2024. Largest measures 1.9 x 1.8 x 1.8 cm with
    rounded morphology and no clear fatty hila.

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

magbrew,

Modified radical mx is different from a radical mx in that the muscle is not removed, though lymph nodes are removed. Still a less common surgery but may be necessary for some. So your concerns are regarding the contra lateral breast, is that correct? Unfortunately, until you have your biopsy, there isn’t much more to be said or done at this point. If it does turn out to be bc, since it is in the breast it would be a local recurrence. While no fun, it can be treated. Try some good old fashioned distraction and escapism until your biopsy. Take care

• magbrew
    magbrew Member Posts: 3
    Options

I am referring to the same left side that I had my mastectomy done except this time it looks subspinous on one of the lymph nodes that was left after surgery, same area just under my arm pit. Maybe a local recurrence? My question here was to see if there was anyone else that may have experienced this if so what was the outcome. Sorry for not making my self clear.

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

Ah, I think I’ve got it! Although most modified radical mastectomies take all lymph nodes, it’s certainly possible that your modifications left some intact. It’s also possible that this is a local recurrence (axillary nodes are considered local not metastatic) or nothing at all! Waiting is never easy but your biopsy will give you answers. Take care