Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Torso sensitivity

I posted about this 5 years ago, and never received a response from anyone who could relate. I hoped I'd "outgrow" this sensation, but that's not the case. So I'm circling back now, after discussing this at my annual check-up.

Has anyone experienced hyper-sensitivity after a double mastectomy? Specifically, along the bra line. While I no longer wear a bra, I have a difficult time finding a bathing suit with no seam/bra line. Even tops with a built-in bra are bothersome to me, but I can avoid them. I'm struggling during the summer months/swimsuit season.

Any suggestions or direction you can provide?

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,283

After lumpectomy, radiation and a thermal burn my right breast is still very painful due to nerve damage. For swimming I wear a practice competition style swimsuit which has no built in bra (Speedo, Tyr, Dolfin.) The practice suits are thicker (not as aerodynamic as ones meant for racing) to stand up to the chlorine. My practice suit is two to three sizes larger than what I wore during my competition days so that it is not too tight but doesn’t fall off (no more racing starts either.) I might not be the most stylish person at the pool but I can swim. A tank top without a shelf bra under a blouson bathing suit top and a separate bottom might work for sunning and lounging in the water. I hope you can find something that works for you.

• laughinggull
    laughinggull Member Posts: 522

I am a swimmer and I use TYR practice swimsuits, the ones made of polyester (rather than lycra) since they are thicker and hold their shape longer. They have no seam or bra line and they are very comfortable in the chest area. I use the "diamondfit" cut which covers everything better.

Something like this:

https://www.tyr.com/women-s-durafast-one-solid-diamondfit-swimsuit.html

I am also sensitive around the chest area and only wear the softest seamless bras.

Hope this helps!