Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Waiting for Onco test result…..

Had lumpsectomy and now waiting for onco test score to determine if I need chemo or not. Oncologist doesn’t think so based on my other data - eg Stage 1A 1.5cm tumor size . Grade 2

Can anyone tell me what the ER and PR mean below especially the 3+ want to work out my H score ?

Pathologic TNM Staging (AJCC 8th edition) pT1c pNO (i+) (sn)

ERA (IPOX) Positive (3+ in 91-100%), per case SUS-24-2020

PRA (IPOX) Positive (3+ in 91-100%), per case SUS-24-2020

HER-2/neu (IC) Negative (0, scale 0- 3+), per case

SUS-24-2020

HER-2/neu (FISH) Negative, per case SUS-24-2020

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,249

No clue as I’m not a doctor nor have any medical training. By your “H score” do you mean HER2 neu? Clearly that was negative 😊 . Have you called your doctors office to ask those questions? Because of my lack of medical training, I am not comfortable interpreting medical reports (though having been stage IV for over a decade, I am more familiar with medical terms than I want…) but we do have members who don’t have my cautious attitude and will likely be along soon.

I’m sorry you were dx’ed. Take care

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,296

As exbrnxgrl said most of us are not doctors. The path report shows your tumor is highly positive for estrogen and progesterone receptors (3+, present in over 90% of cells) and negative for HER2 (score of 0.) HER2 scores of 3 are positive while scores of 1 are HER2 low and those of 2 are either low or positive depending on the result of the FISH test which must be done. The H score, if used, is calculated by a pathologist by hand or using a digital image analysis since it uses the visual IHC staining on the slides. I don't think that it would tell you anything you don't already know but you can ask your doctor about what your particular pathology lab does. Hopefully your oncotype score will be favorable but whatever the outcome you will get through your treatment. I hope things go well for you.

• sosa98
    sosa98 Member Posts: 7

thanks both for your thoughts and you are both heroes!

Will ask Dr Monday but it was the 3+ in my PR and ER that I didn’t understand and was curious if anyone knew.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,549

Hi @sosa98,

You can read all about what the hormone receptor status means here:

And more info about what each piece of your pathology report means here:

We hope this helps! Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

—The Mods

• ginger_stevens
    ginger_stevens Member Posts: 7
    edited July 25

Hope I am doing this correctly. I had a lumpectomy last week for DICS… Got a shock when the pathology report came back there is a small invasive tumor (something around 3 cm I think). The surgeon thinks that radiation will take care of the tumor.. Not sure what to do, ask for more horrible tests, try radiation (it was in the treatment plan) and see what happens?? Has anyone had this? I am confused as to what I need to ask the surgeon. TIA.

• maggie15

Hi @ginger_stevens, It’s a bit of a shock but not terribly unusual when the surgical pathology is different from the biopsy path. It can happen since a biopsy involves a small sample of the tumor or if the biopsy is misread by the pathologist as in my case.

If the invasive tumor is very small insurance won’t pay for an Oncotype DX. My insurance covers it if the tumor is greater than 1 cm or sized .6 to 1 cm and grade 2, 3 or grade 1 with lymphovascular invasion. Research shows that anything smaller than that would not need chemo which is why the test is done.

Ask your surgeon about the details of your tumor and whether an Oncotype would be recommended. If the tumor were .3 cm (3 mm) radiation without doing an Oncotype is standard of care. I hope the rest of your treatment goes well.

• ginger_stevens
    ginger_stevens Member Posts: 7

I felt good after my appointment with the surgeon… The tumor is very small… The surgeon, oncologist and radiologist all seem to think that at this moment in time, radiation will take care of things….

• maggie15

Good news! I hope radiation goes well.

• ars31178
    ars31178 Member Posts: 17
    edited July 26

Hi @sosa98

I was diagnosed last October. I was Stage 1A, 1.1 cm tumor and Grade 2 as well. HR and PR + and HER2 -. I had zero lymph node affected. My Onco came back as an 7. So, it was recommended to do radiation and tamoxifen, since I was pre-menopausal. I qualified for Accelerated Partial Breast Radiation. I had 5 treatments every other day for two weeks. I take tamoxifen, but have since had a full hysterectomy, so I figure they will switch me to a AI pretty soon. Just wanted to tell you my experience.