Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Sudden left side numbness, negative for stroke

hi friends. I’m a three year cancer survivor trying to navigate life after my cancer and the death of my sister from ovarian cancer. Long story short I was driving my kids when I experienced left lip numbness, left thumb numbness then my entire left leg went numb. Like pins and needles. And it felt swollen but wasn’t. Spent a day and half in the hospital where every test was run and lots of bloodwork. Nothing definitive found. Cholesterol is slightly high and BP is never great but not crazy high. I’m 5.6 and half and about 160 lbs which is heavy for me. Always was about 145. I try and eat a plant forward diet. I work at a nature preschool, enjoy gardening and generally active. I exercise when I can but find working and being a mom and doing my hobbies doesn’t leave me with much time or energy.
They’ve released me on b12 (slightly low), baby aspirin and plavex (I think) with follow ups scheduled. I’m stumped to what caused this. But since cancer I feel like my health is out of my control. I try my best to live healthy, do therapy. All of the things. I’m 48. I want to live another 40 years.
they did ct scan, head and neck mri, eeg, echocardiography with bubbles. X Ray. Lots of bloodwork. I was terrified the whole time it meant my cancer was back.
Lyme test pending. They discussed mini stroke as a full stroke was ruled out. Considered Migraines but besides numbness no other neuro symptoms. Then viral but I haven’t been sick with any symptoms.

I don’t know where to go from here. Calling my PCP Monday. Very curious to talk to my oncologist as well though I don’t see him till the fall. But the experience was terrifying. I had my kids plus one of their friends in the car. I had to drive us to the hospital. I wonder if any of you have any insight or similar experience. Please help me understand this? Forgot to add. Numbness was intermittent for about 5 hours then resolved. I did have some hypersensitivity in my left lower lip which was where the numbness began. Other than that i feel normal. I am hyper aware right now of every sensation and I’m trying to be mindful of the present moment and not let my fears run away

Comments

• waves2stars
    waves2stars Member Posts: 152

There could be a few different causes, but unless you are having ongoing symptoms it may be hard to tease out what caused this event. You might ask your primary care for a referral to a neurologist because autoimmune issues, viruses, and spinal cord problems could cause the same symptoms. It often takes a very long time to get seen by a neurologist, but your oncologist may be able to get you quicker access.

• monarchandthemilkweed
    monarchandthemilkweed Member Posts: 175

this is helpful thank you. Yes I’m supposed to follow up with neurology in 4-6 weeks. I’m going to call Monday. The symptoms were so sudden and severe. I hate the thought of them happening again.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 30

Hi @monarchandthemilkweed , I'm sorry that you had that frightening incident. If you are not symptomatic it can be very difficult to figure out the cause. I ended up in the ER with a concussion when I apparently briefly passed out and fell while out walking; no reason found. It happened again at home a month later with no evident cause. The third time it happened was during a routine pulmonary function test when I was hooked up to monitors. I was coughing severely and my O2 level dropped to 40% on the monitor and then went back up to 89%. The tech grabbed me as I passed out. Cough syncope was finally the diagnosis (had never heard of it) and my steroid inhaler dose was doubled to prevent rather than reduce the frequency of my coughing episodes.

A consult with a neurologist is a good idea in the event there is something they can find. It seems that you were given an excellent workup in the ER and are on meds to prevent B12 deficiency and mini strokes which are possible causes. I understand your worry as I was afraid to drive. Hopefully that numbness won't appear again.

• monarchandthemilkweed

maggie15, thank you so much for sharing your experience. It is slightly uncomfortable being a medical mystery at the moment. Since coming home from the hospital, I’ve had a few times where I felt tingling but it never was severe like before and it only lasted minutes not hours.

• monarchandthemilkweed

so I’ve seen my PCP. She’s ordered a nerve functioning test and the autoimmune panel of bloodwork. So some more tests and waiting. Still very occasionally have tingling.

Wonder how common autoimmune disorders are after cancer

• maggie15

There seems to be an association between autoimmune disease and cancer but no agreement on which appears first. I seem to grow cells which aren't cancer but shouldn't be there (e.g. a thyroid goiter which has surgically been removed twice and keeps growing back, nodules, dysplasia in various organs.) I haven't been diagnosed with a specific autoimmune disease but have Reynaud's and am a super responder to steroids. My new MO (previous one moved on) took a look at my medical record and said I must have some unknown gene for uncontrolled cell growth or a tendency toward being autoimmune. Nobody wants a diagnosis for those conditions but it would be welcome if it were the root cause of the tingling. I hope you get your tests and results quickly.

• waves2stars

I think stress and surgeries can trigger some, like myasthenia gravis, so it’s good to get a full panel. I had a similar episode to yours last year, but with lingering weakness, that my onc suspected was autoimmune in origin, though only my rheumatoid factor was elevated. I got no answers but am happy it’s nearly resolved a year later. Hopefully all that info your Dr is getting will get you an answer!

• monarchandthemilkweed

so interesting Waves2stars! Thanks for sharing your experience.

• maggie15

Just happened across this article today. I have to supplement for my low B12 levels (per my gastroenterologist) but don't have any definite identifiable autoimmune disease so I thought it was interesting.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/form-b12-deficiency-affecting-central-nervous-system-may-be-2024a1000c5q?ecd=WNL_trdalrt_pos1_240702_etid6642193&uac=413329CR&impID=6642193

• monarchandthemilkweed

Maggie that’s very interesting. Something happened with a good friend of mine. Her iron levels in her blood were normal-ish but her iron stores were critically low which explained the sudden and strange symptoms like anxiety, shortness of breath going up the stairs, weakness.

Bodies are so complex and living post cancer makes it even more challenging. I’m feeling better with almost no symptoms (tingling and numbness) and I think my moods are stabilizing.

this was a really traumatic experience for me. Especially because I had my kids with me and drove myself to the ER. It was so sudden. I wish I were better at rolling with the punches life has thrown but I’ve been knocked down SO many different ways these last few years it’s hard not think it’s the worst. I’m begging life to give us a break. Hopefully.

• monarchandthemilkweed

so my ANA test came back abnormal and my PCP is recommending I see a rheumatologist because she is not sure if my symptoms are related and what the abnormal result means. So more waiting.

• maggie15

Nobody likes to get an abnormal test result but if it leads you closer to a diagnosis that’s a good thing. Keep us updated (but we won’t hold our breath.)

• waves2stars

Another diagnosis isn’t great, but to get answers is a relief! Hopefully it helps allay fears of lepto or cancer in the cns. Did you get the nerve conduction test?

• monarchandthemilkweed

nerve conduction isn’t until the mid Aug. I did get into a rheumatologist in a couple weeks. Yes waves2stars, after the shock of all geez this could be another diagnosis I ultimately did feel better about it explaining my symptoms in a way other than cancer

And I’m reminding myself that I am generally very healthy besides this weird occasional tingling

• Granhillbillian
    Granhillbillian Member Posts: 6

I just saw this post after updating a 1 year old post of mine. I am sorry you are dealing with this. Uncertainty is so hard to deal with.

I shared my experience of sudden onset of weakness upon waking from my BC surgery in July 2023. See my post linked below.

As others have said, there can be many causes. I am certainly no doctor, but from my experience I have learned that a small stroke may not show on an MRI or CT. It can still have lasting effects.  Asprin + Plavix is a common treatment following a vascular event like stroke or heart attack.  In my case, the stroke dx came after the event.

Even though it was after the fact, my stroke work up involved ultrasound of carotid arteries, echocardiogram, 2 week cardiac monitor, and A1 to rule out causes of stroke (blood vessel blockage, clots from heart, abnormal heart rhythms and diabetes, respectively). My neuro told me that these causes typically resulted in major strokes with many severe deficits. Although my symptoms were really affecting my mobility, I never thought I had a major stroke. Luckily these tests were all normal. Sounds like you had many of these tests too. Hopefully your negative results are reason for comfort.

The recommendations I was given to prevent another stroke were continue with daily aspirin, focus on optimizing life style factors - healthy diet, exercise, sleep. In my case BP control.
    For me it was a hard dx to come by, only came as a second opinion.

Im only speaking from my experience. Your symptoms could have a completely different cause. I do hope that you get answers soon, because uncertainty can be harder to deal with.

You are not alone. I am with you. We are with you, sister!

• monarchandthemilkweed

granhillbian, thanks for the comment. I did reply to your thread. It’s so strange. I’m very curious what the dr says today. The neurologist in the hospital was very rushed and didn’t have a nice bedside manner. I was very emotional at the time as it triggered concerns my cancer was bacon.

• monarchandthemilkweed

follow up

So the appointment went as good as it could have. He’s not too worried. I don’t present like lupus. My symptoms that I presently have are very transient. So he is going to run some more bloodwork. And you know I like to be informed and understand the tests ordered and he explained but I don’t understand. If the results are abnormal he might consider sending me to hematology 🤷🏽‍♀️. I feel like he understands my symptoms and I agree with him that i do not at the time want to do more tests.

As far as MS, since Neurology isn’t worried about that he isn’t either.

If I do have an autoimmune condition then it will eventually present itself with more or worsening symptoms

I asked him if he thought a mini stroke was more likely to explain my symptoms than autoimmune and he declined to give me his opinion which is fine. I respect that. So really it went as good as it could have

He doesn’t expect the bloodwork he is ordering to come back abnormal. He’s just being safe and thorough. I’m ok not knowing right now. I have peace of mind at the present because I’ve followed up with every dr suggested. Ans nothing is definitive.

• maggie15

Hi @monarchandthemilkweed, I'm glad the rheumatologist found nothing concerning and agrees with the neurologist. Indeterminate is not the most reassuring answer but is way better than a problematic diagnosis. Also, you and your doctors will be on the lookout for any worrisome changes. I hope your bloodwork is good. Thanks for the update.