Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
What part of day-to-day life during your breast cancer experience has been most challenging for you? Take our poll.

Worried

I am 85. Diagnosed in April with IDC, right breast, grade 3, stage 1A, 1.8 cm. Surgeon removed tumor and cancerous intramammary lymph node close to tumor. No lymph nodes removed underarm. Seeing medical oncologist this week to discuss treatment plan. Hoping I don’t have to do chemo!

Comments

• orangeflower
    orangeflower Member Posts: 100

Hi Joann. I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I remember the fear when I was diagnosed. My understanding is that if you had grade 3, you'll probably need chemo, but I'm not a doctor. Please keep us up to date about your journey. Sending hugs.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,205
    edited June 30

Hi Joann, I’m sorry that you have to join us here. Your hormone receptor status is probably the most relevant characteristic as far as chemo goes. If the tumor is triple negative or just HER2+ chemo will probably be recommended. If you are ER+ aromatase inhibitors and other treatments are quite effective. You and your MO should discuss any other health problems you might have and your general fitness level in regards to chemo. If this is something the MO would recommend and you would choose to do a tumor sample can be sent for an Oncotype DX test to see how effective chemo might be. While there is not as much data on women over 70 the score would help you decide. Good luck with your decision.

• artwish
    artwish Member Posts: 31

Hi, Age makes things very different. Choices must be more on quality of life not longevity. At 85 you have achieved longevity. All the younger people on this sight want what you already have, a long life. I hope to make it to 80 taking anastrozole. My under standing is at our ages IDS is incurable. Average life expectation for 1A is 41 months. It also depends on your physical fitness. I was very fit and the anastrozole still cut health in half. I am getting better now and have hope that I will live for 10 more years. However, I am also getting ready for the inevitable. Will is in order, headstone is ordered and burial paid for. Fear will rob us of the good days we have left. Take care.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,417

We're so sorry you find yourself here, @norjoa, we know what a worrying and overwhelming time this is. We hope you're recovering well following your surgery, please do keep us posted on what you learn when you meet with the oncologist. We're all here for you!

The Mods

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,417

Hi again, @norjoa.

We're just checking in on you to see how you're doing since diagnosis. When is your appointment with your oncologist? We're all here to support you and help you navigate your care, however that looks.

Sending hugs!

—The Mods