Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Traveling with MBC - Inspire others with your vacation experiences and tips!

Hi everyone!

We have a new content highlight on Traveling With Breast Cancer, and would love you to share your tips, experiences, memories, and advice for those with metastatic breast cancer who are considering traveling, but might not feel well enough, think they don't have the energy, are concerned about risks of travel, and other aspects that might hold them back from exploring the world.

Where have you been? What would you do again? What were the best/worst parts? What are some challenges you faced while traveling with MBC and how did you overcome them? Where would you like to go in the future? What are your best pieces of advice for those considering planning a trip — near or far, daytrips or extended stays, rugged or relaxing?

Let's hear those inspirational stories!

Comments

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 710
    edited July 16

I've traveled several times since dx in Nov. 23. Went to Denver, road trips out of state, and London for a week in April this year.

Frankly, I didn't do anything different than I had pre-dx. My itineraries are usually low key anyway, so I didn't try to cram a bunch of sightseeing in; instead, my husband and I listed 5-7 things we really wanted to see, depending on time, and then understood we could let a couple of them not so high on our list, at least, go. We find it makes for a better, richer traveling experience not to rush through a bunch of sightseeing anyway. We took naps but mostly due to jet lag.

Our agreement was, since my husband is also being tx for cancer, was to walk when we felt like it, take a cab when we felt like it, and nap when needed. We alternated early morning with a later departure to sights at times. We didn't need to do much of any of that, but gave ourselves permission to do so if needed.

Claire in AZ

• livethedream
    livethedream Member Posts: 4

I have taken two trips to Italy since diagnosis. The first was almost a year into MBC. I decided to enjoy the money previously put aside for retirement and made it a luxury trip. Upgraded to business class flights to put as much space between me and other people as possible. Lots of hand sanitizer and took a mask in case anyone around me was coughing. Stayed in 3 different places in Italy with first class train travel and private car transfers to get from one to the other. Took omeprazole to handle the acid reflux and enjoyed eating and drinking like normal! Booked restaurants in advance with outdoor seating and avoided indoor crowds.

Trip was so great and I was still on same line of treatment a year later, so I managed to go again. I booked everything refundable and spent a lot on travel insurance that covered pre-existing conditions. Not sure I will make it next year as a treatment change is coming, but will do if I can get stable again.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell Member Posts: 7

Hi! I am actually a luxury travel agency owner and travel has been a part of how I make my living for a while now. I have been to Portugal and Italy again since my metastatic recurrence in 2021. My family and I spent about 3 weeks in France last summer and will head back for Thanksgiving break to visit friends this year. I also travel to the Caribbean several times a year, and domestically also, and most importantly, we did Disney last year with my children. I like to travel with my small children to make these core memories, and I can't imagine traveling solo anymore like I used to, so I wag them and my husband around everywhere I go.

One thing I've noticed is that it wears me out like no tomorrow. I've slowed down A LOT the past couple of years. Long hauls don't appeal to me much anymore, but I'm still up for an adventure every now and then.

I think for me, travel is a bit of a different animal given my profession and my past. I do it so much, and have done it so much, it has taught me that the place where I most want to spend time now is right here where I am! I've recently decided to turn ownership of my agency over to my husband, who will be taking over the business starting in January. You can't have a travel advisor who wants to stay at home all the time running the shop! :-)

Practically speaking, I travelled bald for about 2 years when I was on chemo for an inordinate amount of time and never really had any real looks. It actually was quite pleasant in the Caribbean to have no hair. Never been much for wigs. On the plane they are super uncomfortable if you're on one for longer than 7 hours, and then you feel weird taking it off and scaring your neighbor. Ha!

I agree with above comments that spending more on travel may be something to consider. Pay for the nice 5-star hotel with front desk and concierge connections all over the place to get you where you need to be in the event of the unexpected. You'll definitely want to think about upgraded fare class on airlines. Most of my big spotty areas are all over my lumbar spine and it's murder even in premium seating. Business/first allows me to get off the plane and not feel my joints and bones aching for the next 4 days.

Airbnb's would concern me. We lived in France for a while and I am super familiar with the country and fluent in French. Last year, when we were there we stayed in an apartment. I got deathly ill with a virus that rapidly turned into a bacterial infection within 48 hours of landing and luckily we had old friends in the area who recommended a doctor. I can't imagine going through that in a country where I didn't speak the language and was staying in an Airbnb where I might have to track down the owner who might be living in ANOTHER country, who is a complete stranger. I have to have a sure thing.

• forza
    forza Member Posts: 146

hello :D

I just walked the Camino de Santiago. 500 miles pilgrimage across Northern Spain. Slept in hostels sometimes with too many coughing and snoring people. Walked whilst crying sometimes (it was hard and life’s not fair).
    Did stop most of my treatment for 2 months to give me a bit of a better chance.
    If you want to travel somewhere : JUST DO IT. Waiting is no longer an option for some of us.
    ^officially a pilgrim now