First Mammogram After BC Treatment

Hi friends! I'm slated for a mammogram soon, and I'm worried about how painful it might be. I have very dense breasts, and I got diagnosed with BC last July after an ultrasound detected the cancer.

I was expecting to get an ultrasound with the mammogram, but the imaging center said they'll only do the ultrasound 6 months after the mammogram. They said it's a recent change there and would mean a screening each 6 months. Has anyone heard of this type of screening schedule?

It kind of makes sense to alternate them, but I wish I didn't have to start with the mammogram. After the lumpectomy and re-excision surgeries in September and the fibrotic tissue from radiation, I'm not looking forward to getting my boob smooshed.

Comments

• dutchiegirl
    dutchiegirl Member Posts: 82

Reading your story, it always irks me that they continue mammograms for those with extreme dense breasts. Maybe this a controversial subject, but my breast cancer was not detected with mammogram even though it was found (by me) shortly after my mammogram. I was stage 3 at that point. It was indicated on my results that I had extreme dense breast tissue. We are working here in Canada to include MRIs for those with dense breast tissue because we feel this is the best way to detect tumours. Ultrasounds are also helpful but often are not ordered unless a lump is actually present. Sorry, don't mean to preach! Hope all goes well with your testing!

• zen1028
    zen1028 Member Posts: 95

I will be getting my diagnostic mammogram and MRI next month. My breast center recommends the diagnostic mammogram 6 months after radiation. I too have dense breast and have to ask for the MRI. Glad they order that. Let me know how it goes with you