Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Survivor of 4 separate cancers

Hi, all. I have had 4 separate cancers over 26 years. My "journey" began in 1997 when breast cancer (Stage 1 ER -) was found on my 2nd annual mammogram at the age of 42. I went through a lumpectomy that left me with an infection that lasted for 2+ years. I then had radiation and my 1st chemo. Five years later, I was diagnosed with both uterine and fallopian cancers. I had a hysterectomy and more chemo - bald again. Then, in 2017, I was diagnosed with my 2nd (and different) breast cancer. This was Stage 2B and was ER Positive. I had another lumpectomy followed by radiation and chemo - bald for the third time. I then elected to have a double mastectomy without reconstruction. I am a diabetic and am susceptible to infections, so I decided not to have the reconstruction. I entered this chemo with mild diabetic neuropathy and left with severe peripheral neuropathy, resulting in severe chronic pain in both feet. I eventually had a spinal cord stimulator device inserted in my back at waist level that has reduced my pain by 65 to 86%. The device interrupts the pain signals from my feet to my brain and is very effective. Yay! Seven years later, my hair has not fully grown back in and is very sparse. It is not uncommon for me to go weeks without going outside my home. I live with my wonderful, supportive wife of 30+ years. she was there every step of my "journey," offering kindness and support. I am very lucky to have her, I know!

I started out as a gregarious, outgoing woman who made friends easily and was often the life of the party. I became more withdrawn as my experience with cancer became one of the main forces in my life. I now am very "stay at home" and have few friends. I feel very strong due to my fight against cancer. I had a diabetic coma that sent me to the hospital for a week. When I woke from my coma, I was a different person - very quiet and withdrawn with pronounced social anxiety. Because of the coma and its impact on my personality, I can't really blame my cancers for my changed personality, though I am certain they contributed. It took me about a year to overcome my social anxiety, but the woman I once was is gone. I participate in Quora, where I often speak about my "cancer experiences."

Like many of you, I suspect, I live daily with the fear of more cancer. I do not let it overwhelm my life, but I am certainly aware it is there. Any tips on how to overcome this fear would be greatly appreciated. My experience shows me that cancer can come repeatedly, so I suppose my fear is justified… With any change in my body, I jump to the conclusion, "So, this is how the cancer will show up…"

Do some of you have a similar experience with multiple cancers?

Comments

• waves2stars
    waves2stars Member Posts: 152

What a long and arduous health journey you’ve had! You have great cause to feel as you do, especially living with the daily ramifications of what cancer and treatment have left you with! The neuropathy is bad enough without feeling the loss of your persona. Have you spoken with a therapist who specializes in cancer patients? They can often be reached remotely, and are very helpful in helping make adjustments to the fallout. It sounds scary but maybe even a support group through zoom would offer a small way to interact with others who understand.

I was dx with stage 1 breast cancer, then months later with stage 4 lung cancer. In the two years since that dx, I’ve had my oncologist send me to be investigated for ovarian and uterine cancer(x2), lepto, and finally colon cancer due to symptoms, side effects and imaging, thankfully all negative except for precancer in the colon. Every time they tell me (at least every six months), that I have something suspicious for cancer, I’m like, “Well… bring it on.” I am pretty afraid of a breast recurrence because I worry the treatments will effect my mental health. But treatments for other cancers have come such a long way, and newer clinical trials, vaccines, and immunotherapy options are available, so I feel pretty sure someone will come up with a treatment plan that works for me with common cancers. It sounds crazy, but when I’m cleaning I turn on Neil Love’s Research to Practice podcast about whichever cancer I have, or might have, and get educated which makes me feel empowered and hopeful

I had brain surgery for a lung met, and between that, the damage the met caused, and the meds I take, I am not me anymore. I lost vision so I can’t drive, and living rurally has made this quite isolating. I get confused in different light situations so can seem slow or like there’s something wrong with me. I can’t remember if I took my meds ten minutes ago, but worse is that my family takes it personally that I can’t remember things they tell me. I feel dumb and I hate how reliant I have to be on others. BUT I am still here! Our bodies are tougher than we think, and though we get down, our resolve can be pretty strong, too! My therapist and a friend recommended the book Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life, which made a dramatic impact on accepting the unacceptable of cancer. This long road can be pretty lonely, so hope you find all the friendship and support you need! Sending hugs!