Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
What part of day-to-day life during your breast cancer experience has been most challenging for you? Take our poll.

Breast MRI

I’ve posted a few times over the past two years about my symptoms and the tests I’ve had that have all been fine. As my symptoms are ongoing I’ve finally gotten an order for a breast MRI. I’m petrified of any and all medical procedures so I was hoping someone could tell me what to expect. I’ve had a really horrible few years and my anxiety is off the charts. Yesterday I got bloodwork results and several things were out of whack and I’m not sure how much more I can take. Anyway, any experiences, advice, etc. would be appreciated. Thank you to everyone who has responded to my panic posts in the past and to anyone who responds to this one. I’m really struggling.

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,139

anxious66,

Have you ever had any MRI before? Don’t worry they are not painful! MRI’s can be done with or without contrast dye depending on what your doctor ordered. If contrast dye is used it’s an intravenous injection. Some people say that they feel warm or flushed after the injection but I never have . MRI’s are noisy! Some sounds even resembling jack hammers. Many facilities provide ear plugs or play music. The MRI tube can feel a bit claustrophobic so bring eye shades or ask if the facility can provide them. The technician will be speaking to you from the control room and you can speak to the tech if you are feeling uncomfortable in any way. Truly, it is completely painless and eye masks and ear plugs are very helpful.
    I wish I could say more to allay your anxiety but an MRI, aside from sounds and tight spaces is easy and painless. Let your tech know about your fears as they are usually quite good at making you as comfortable as possible. Take care

• anxious66
    anxious66 Member Posts: 44

Thank you for your response. I have not had an MRI before. Only CT scans with contrast. Contrast was not ordered for my MRI. My understanding was that you are lying face down for a breast MRI which seems rather uncomfortable. I’m also wondering how long it takes. I’m prone to panic attacks when I’m trapped anywhere without the ability to leave if I want to. I know I sound like a nut but I have quite bad anxiety. The CT scans didn’t bother me because I was only in the machine from the waist down and they don’t take very long.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,139

My apologies for not addressing the positioning. Yes, you will be face down but you’ll be made as comfortable as possible. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think my face/head was resting in an opening similar to what you’d see on a massage table. I had a breast MRI about 13 years ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy, though I’ve had non-bc related MRIs as well.

I imagine length of time depends on what views have been ordered but I’ve never had a lengthy MRI. You can call and ask about how long it will take, specifically , how long you’ll be in/on the machine.

• anxious66

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I did some research on breast MRI as well so I now have a good idea of what to expect. I’m still really afraid though but I know I need answers. If I don’t get them from the MRI then I don’t know what I’ll do. I just know I can’t go on like this. I was awake until 3am this morning. We leave for our yearly beach vacation with our sons and their wives tomorrow and I’m trying to be excited but my anxiety is winning out.

• vlnrph
    vlnrph Member Posts: 498

Scanxiety may set in for me this weekend since I have an abdominal MRI early Monday morning. It’s an almost expected situation for many of us prior to the scan and/or while waiting for results! So, you are not alone. Having a change of scenery at the beach could be a good distraction.

I try to wear myself out with physical activity when trouble falling asleep is anticipated. Doesn’t always work however there is a bottle of low dose (3mg) orally dissolving melatonin at my bedside. If your imaging appointment is several days in the future, ask for a prescription to use.

Ex Bronx Girl describes things pretty well. With her massage table analogy & the offer of a warm blanket, I often joke to the techs that I’m there for a spa treatment. Unless they have you gown, don’t wear any metal. I go there in pull-on pants, plain top, elastic bra without clasps, etc.

• anxious66

Thank you for your response. I have not made the appointment yet as we’ve been away but I plan to call tomorrow. I already have a prescription for Xanax as needed as I’ve always suffered from anxiety. I’m just beyond petrified as all things medical send my anxiety into overdrive. I had to bring my mom for chemo every week last summer and I could hardly stand sitting there with her. Unfortunately the treatment didn’t work and she passed away last September. I hope all goes well with your scan and thank you for the additional details regarding what to wear. I so appreciate everyone’s responses