Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Time to replace implants

weety
weety Member Posts: 378

Hi all, I haven't been on here for a very long time! I have a few questions regarding having to replace silicone implants and whether to go with saline or silicone this time aroung.

I recently saw my PS and since one of my current implants (silicone) is 10.5 years old, he is recommending replacing both soon. I have been happy with the silicone ones I have, but he seems to think saline would be a better choice now so that I didn't have to worry about silicone leakage in the future ever again. He even questioned me as to why he went with silicone in the first place, and I reminded him that it was because the skin on my cancer side was very thin and he thought saline would show too much rippling. (Even with the silicone I have now, that side does show some rippling in the cleavage area in certain positions.).

I am wondering now why he would want to switch them to saline. He said the rippling is not as bad as it used to be and he would overfill it a bit for a better look. I am also worried the saline will feel too hard!

Please add your thoughts and suggestions. I am at a loss as to what to do. I like the idea of the saline lasting longer without the chance of silicone leaking, but I don't want to lose a natural feel. Are saline that much firmer? Do saline implants mean I won't have to replace them again in my lifetime most likely (I'm 53)?

Comments

• orangeflower
    orangeflower Member Posts: 103

I have silicone implants, and I plan to stick with that for life. It's just a more natural feel. My plastic surgeon prefers them, too.

• weety

Orangeflower, how often has your PS said you will need to have them replaced? Is he worried about addtional surgeries as you get older? I wonder how much my age goes into play here. I'm 53 but would be in my 60's the next time I'd have to replace. I really don't want to lose the little bit of natural feel that I have—I already feel like they are not very natural feeling.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 786

My friend in Italy has had her silicone implants for 20 years, and her doctor advised her to keep them since they seem to be holding well. My plastic surgeon in Boston told me that I can keep my silicone implants until there's a rupture or any other problem. I suggest you get a second opinion before deciding on surgery.

• orangeflower

Hi weety. She just said my insurance would cover replacing them after 10 years. She didn't really give a recommendation. I'm 46 right now and have had my implants for about 4 1/2 years. I want to delay replacing my implants for as long as possible!

• weety

I wish I knew how much of a difference in natural feel the saline vs. the silicone really are! Maybe someone will come along who has had both and can give first-hand info.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 786

I had my temporary implants saline type before they were replaced with silicone since saline can rapture. I did feel saline was heavier than silicone. I am not sure what others think.

• weety

I already feel like the ones I have are not super real feeling, so I am worried about the heavier part, too. My PS also mentioned that he sometimes overfills the saline ones a bit to help with ripples. I'm afraid it will be extra hard if he does. Plus, I have some minor rippling on my cancer side already with the silicone, so I'm afraid it will be even worse with the saline ones!

• orangeflower

Hi Weety. It can be so hard to make these decisions. Keep us up to date on what you decide.

• weety

I had another appt with the PS today, and now after hearing my concerns, he is thinking that the new Mentor Boost Gummy implants might be the best pick for me. I have some current rippling on my cancer side that should be minimized with the Mentor Boost and he said that with me being petite, the shape of these with more upper pole stability would probably give visually better results as well.