Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

vaginal dryness

My DCIS is estrogen receptor + and i am wondering if the aloe vera gel in the good clean love i am using for my vagina dryness will increase the level of estrogen in the body as i read the aloe vera will mildly increase estrogen level in the body. Any advice. Thanks.

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,305
    edited August 9

Hi @noidea123, From what I've read topical aloe vera get will increase the level of estrogen a bit but not as much as estrogen vaginal cream. Both topical treaments affect estrogen levels less than HRT or ingestion of phytoestrogens. The jury seems to still be out on the long term effects of all this.

Here is a paper that shows how aloe vera containing gel works just as well as topical estrogen while raising estrogen levels less.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/348012917_Aloe_Vera_A_new_treatment_for_atrophic_vaginitis_A_Randomized_Double-blinded_Controlled_Trial#:~:

When I was going through menopause I took black cohash tablets which were effective in minimizing hot flashes and night sweats. My PCP thought it was a good idea that I was finally able to sleep. I did end up with breast cancer years later but nobody can blame it on the phytoestrogens. Who knows? The physical stress from lack of sleep could have caused it.

You can ask your doctor for their opinion but unfortunately there is no sure way to prevent cancer recurrence. If so everyone would be doing it and recurrences would be ancient history. There is something to be said for quality of life as well. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

• ratherbesailing
    ratherbesailing Member Posts: 135

Would also add that, although topical estrogens were strongly discouraged for ER+ patients for many years, more recent studies have shown no increased risk of recurrence. My MO, for one, has now said it is okay to go ahead and use one of the lower-dose creams. As Maggie said, yiu can discuss with your doctor.

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 515

My doctor prescribed the low dose estradiol for only 3 months. I'm stage 4.

I usually use a hylauronic acid suppository 2 or 3 x a week. I get it online. Works good. I just might try the aloe Vera stuff tho.