Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Are medicinal mushrooms safe for ER/PR + survivors?

I’m a seven year stage III hormone positive survivor and will be completing 7 years of hormone therapy (currently on Exemestane, but been on Tamox and Letrozole also) in Nov 2024. My Onc recommends I stay on the max length of 10 years.

But I’m struggling so much from the side effects and/or what seems like irreversible changes the drug’s had on me. I took a break this summer as I knew I wouldn’t be able to handle hot flashes in 35 degree C temps (100 degrees F).

The hot flashes stopped, but the fatigue, weakness, and lethargy did not. Frustrated, I hastily starting taking a mushroom blend supplement without considering if they have an estrogenic effect. About one week into taking the supplement I felt better than I have in years! Is it too good to be true? I.e. could the mushrooms be increasing my estrogen?

From what I’ve found the general consensus seems inconclusive but one study said eating button mushrooms was beneficial.

Are any of you taking medicinal mushrooms? And if so, how do you feel about the risk? Or is it even a risk?

Comments

• toughcookie
    toughcookie Member Posts: 7

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,647

Hi Toughcookie - You might want to check out this information for some information:

https://foodforbreastcancer.com/foods/mushrooms

• gr8fulblsd
    gr8fulblsd Member Posts: 3

Hi toughcookie, I was diagnosed in Feb. I'm a huge believer in mushrooms, have been taking a multi-immune blend since 2020. After my diagnosis, I didn't want chemo, radiation or the estrogen blocker, had lumpectomy. After much research I added turkey tail, DIM, along with several other supplements as well. I feel great, walk most days up to 3 miles. Mammo in Jan, so we'll see if everything is great on the inside.