Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2D Mammogram 7mm spiculated mass

i am a 43yo and just had my second annual mammogram last week. Last one was normal. A few days ago my results came back and I have heterogeneously dense breasts and “a 7mm spiculated mass that’s is 4cm from nipple. Possible associated calcifications”. No BIRAD score….just said right breast needed further imaging. Of course I googled (I know I know) and obviously “spiculated” most definitely points to cancer. I have a US and 3D mam in 5 days and I’m preparing for the worst. How reliable is a 2D as far as seeing the mass as spiculated? Is it possible that the density or other tissue can affect how the mass appears in 2D? Any insight appreciated.

Comments

• katg
    katg Member Posts: 245

Did you cover the results with the Doctor or their office? My experiences shows when i read results i am often not right and if i look it up it may read worse than it is. Preparing for the worst is a normal feeling but remind yourself that the result will bring some peace. You will know. I felt my mass and then got my mammogram. From there i got an appointment within a few days for a biopsy and a guided ultrasound. My mass was behind my nipple. I had very dense breasts as well.

The ultrasound gives a good image. After my ultrasound I got an MRI that gives an all -around view. The team just wants to see what the mammogram saw. I do not see a biopsy listed, so for now they just want a better look than what a mammogram shows for you.

Let me also add that during every test i got, i thanked the tech who did it, the Dr/scientist who thought the machine was needed and the engineers and builders who made them. You got the mammogram on time.

Treat yourself with loving kindness.

• walla291
    walla291 Member Posts: 2

Thank you for the sweet response ❤️. My doctor did say she was not crazy about it appearing spiculated (because it statistically makes it more likely a sign of malignancy) but was encouraged because it did not use the word “suspicious” or give it a BIRAD rating.

My hope is that what the radiologist saw “could look like a spiculated mass” and might just be other normal breast anomalies that aren’t clear so they aired on the side of caution and labeled it worst case scenario . My fear is that she got a good view and definitely saw this mass and is positive it is spiculated and therefore most likely cancer. Not sure if I’m explaining my thought process correctly.

It is comforting to know that there are other women out there who are/have gone through this. It’s a very lonely feeling right now because I’m choosing not to tell family until I have definite answers. I do need their support but knowing they are not worrying for me is actually keeping me calmer.

• katg
    katg Member Posts: 245

Just so you know walla292, no matter what the actual diagnosis is, you were doing mammograms as you were supposed to and it caught this before it got worse. It will be treatable. Once they know what it all is, the doctors will have a plan. Come back here when you have results, as many of us have had many treatments. It is all manageable when done a day at a time. Do not let the fear of tomorrow take today.❤️