Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Need for an oncologist

I need advise and dont know where to go. I had DCIS Hormone Receptor Positive over 2 years ago, stage 0. After radiation, a little more than 2 years ago I started on the endocrine therapy, but not only can I not tolerate it but the three different medications "woke up" multiple muscular and nerve issues (spine and legs) that have left me in chronic pain. We stopped all medications and the oncologist was not doing any other treatment or blood tests. I would prefer not to see an oncologist if I dont need to since I am spending time dealing with the other chronic pain.

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,305

Hi @lindaminnie43, If you are not taking meds prescribed by the oncologist you can have your follow up care provided by your PCP or women’s health provider. Either one can order a yearly mammogram and do a breast exam for surveillance. This can be part of appointments for other concerns as well saving on time and billing. I hope you can get relief for the chronic pain. All the best!

• lindaminnie43
    lindaminnie43 Member Posts: 3

Thank you @maggie15 for the great advice. I do have a breast surgeon who will continue to schedule my mammograms and do the actual breast exam. I appreciate the thoughts. It was such a difficult decision to not take the hormone blocking medication, but I did not feel like I had a choice.