Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Covid-19?

Options

Comments

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,028
    edited April 2020
    Options

You make a good point, marijen, about questionable social distancing at the White House briefings.

DogMom, most definitely we in the U.S. will learn vastly from this pandemic. On a personal level many will look at life through new eyes. Some will not. But just as people learn through so-called natural disasters: flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes and wildfires, many will learn through the pandemic. The country, our government on a national and statewide level will also be restructured for future potential pandemic disasters.

I feel like a lot of people never thought something like this would or could happen. But my mind goes down many roads, and I've always wondered if an act of biological warfare terrorism would occur where some evil, rogue scientist would allow a horribly devastating illness (something like Ebola) to escape from some laboratory killing a large portion of the population in order to bring the U.S. to its knees. I mean, I've had a casual thought here and there about it since 9/11. Not that I'm one of those survivalists with a bunker and all. And maybe it was reading Steven King's book “The Stand" eons ago, or remembering the movie “The Andromeda Strain", both which deal with similar themes of lethal illness.. Not to make light of the crisis we are in. The coronavirus isn't man made but it is devastating the globe.

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited April 2020
    Options

I suppose there are evil infiltrators into the science labs all over the world.

Here is a great video on the suspension of micro droplets.

Watch "Micro droplets suspending in air" on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/402577241?ref=em-share

• flashlight
    flashlight Member Posts: 311
    edited April 2020
    Options

DivineMrsM. Well said. I thought of that TV show " The Last Ship". It makes you wonder. Everyone working on this looks so tired. I am hopeful as well.

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited April 2020
    Options

I think this virus is going to bring new meaning to “A new world order”. My sincere hope is that it brings us closer together globally and shortens the divide in our own nation. If we can come out on the other side with more compassion for one another, love for each other and lending a helping hand, it will surely be a new world order. So many songs are written about this and they touch our souls.....lets carry it forward

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited April 2020
    Options

false hope makes things worse.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,940
    edited April 2020
    Options

False hope, perhaps. But true hope based on what the medical community is doing, what scientists are doing, what average normal people are doing - that will help us get through it. I saw this posted somewhere on this site and it beats repeating. The author is the songwriter Paul Williams.

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Alice, thank you.

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited April 2020
    Options

Our perception/attitude is a choice. Just as when we were DX'd with BC. The fear comes from lack of control and fear of the unknown. Guess what? We are not in control of the pandemic... But, we can control what we watch, read and listen to, who we associate with, our thoughts and our actions. We are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Hang in there! One day at a time....Heart

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited April 2020
    Options

Caremongering is now a thing. How cool is that?

https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/what-is-caremongerin...

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited April 2020
    Options

Alice that is beautiful, and that gives genuine hope.... because people can be noble and wonderful

• divinemrsm
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I'm certainly not offering false hope. My hope is real.

People may think the U.S.has never dealt with a pandemic before, but it has. The 1918 Spanish flu killed over 650,000 in the U.S. alone. You can google the horrific story. This was suffered towards the end of WWI. About a decade later, the U.S. was in the Great Depression. Our nation most certainly rose above all of that and more since then.

Today’s society is so fast paced, many people want/expect immediate solutions. There’s a humorous meme out now that says “Some of you have never had to wait 6 to 8 weeks for shipping and it shows.” The COVID19 pandemic will be resolved over time. It might not come quick enough for any of us but it will get here. We will all learn so much.

Alice, Serenity and KeeptheFaith, love your posts.
  • Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Divine, well said!

• marijen
    edited April 2020
    Options

Tiger at Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus

From Aaron Cooper and Sarah Jorgensen

Nadia, a 4-year-old female Malayan tiger at the Bronx Zoo, has tested positive for coronavirus.Nadia, a 4-year-old female Malayan tiger at the Bronx Zoo, has tested positive for coronavirus. Wildlife Conservation Society's Bronx Zoo

A 4-year-old Malayan tiger at the Bronx Zoo in New York tested positive for coronavirus, which causes Covid-19 in humans. This is the first instance of a tiger being infected, according to the US Department of Agriculture's National Veterinary Services Laboratories.

The tiger, named Nadia, along with her sister Azul, two Amur tigers and three African lions "had developed a dry cough and all are expected to recover," a news release from the zoo said.

Samples from Nadia were taken and tested after several lions and tigers at the zoo showed symptoms of respiratory illness, the USDA said in a release.

"Though they have experienced some decrease in appetite, the cats at the Bronx Zoo are otherwise doing well under veterinary care and are bright, alert, and interactive with their keepers. It is not known how this disease will develop in big cats since different species can react differently to novel infections, but we will continue to monitor them closely and anticipate full recoveries," the zoo's release said.

The zoo said the big cats were infected by a person caring for them who was either asymptomatic or had not yet developed symptoms.

"Appropriate preventive measures are now in place for all staff who are caring for them, and the other cats in our four WCS zoos, to prevent further exposure of any other of our zoo cats," the release said.

• summerangel
    summerangel Member Posts: 182
    edited April 2020
    Options

Here's a wonderful article with an optimistic message about this pandemic, well worth the read: https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2020/04/02/no-you-didnt-just-lose-half-of-your-retirement-savings/

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited April 2020
    Options

I have been following the development of the Covid antibody testing with great interest. I had a terrible bug in late February that knocked me out for nearly two weeks. I was convinced I’d had it. Our local urgent care just started the rapid antibody testing yesterday. I was the first one to get it. It was negative. Back to the drawing board. Still it is good to know. It is a pin prick finger test it can tell if you currently have or ever had Covid19. Actually pretty advanced for Oklahoma, considerIng we’ve had the lowest per capita testing in the nation so far.

• keepthefaith
    edited April 2020
    Options

farmerlucy, I am curious about how you even got the clinic to perform your antibody test. You never got tested for COVID? My DD has had symptoms and I told her maybe she should get that test done. She went in to her PCP a few wks ago and they did a strep test, but didn't act concerned about anything else. It came back neg. I hope it becomes available to everyone soon, so, those that have the anti-bodies can donate plasma for current covid patients, if they want to.

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited April 2020
    Options

our governor announced last week that all can be tested, in order for the state to figure out where the virus is/has been. About a month ago some folks from the Icahn School of Medicine ( ?) literally gave their antibody assay “ recipe” to the public so local labs can start doing it. Other have also developed one. The FDA gave them emergency approval last week. At least two labs in my area are already doing the antibody testing. Results take 15 mins. Not to be confused with the swab test.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited April 2020
    Options

SummerAngel - Thank for the link to that article.

Nice to see something optimistic as I believe spreading doom & gloom does nothing for our spirits during this trying time.

• keepthefaith
    edited April 2020
    Options

Thanks Farmerlucy. I just heard our Gov have press conf, but nothing was mentioned. I will do some research!:)

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Apparently, San Francisco’s early proactive shelter in place has made a huge difference. They have only had 9 deaths from Covid 19. Social distancing does work despite the inconvenience. Please stay home and stay well.

• divinemrsm
    edited April 2020
    Options

I had a Facetime visit with my pcp today. He is on the county health board and of course we chatted a few minutes about the coronavirus. He praised Ohio Health Director Dr. Amy Acton who has been instrumental in getting our governor to take action very early in the crisis, shutting down some activities before Ohio even reported positive cases of COVID19. My pcp also said Ohio has about 15,000 ventilators and is on track to only need about 8,000. He also mentioned there were other states with similar numbers of needing less ventilators than they had in stock, so that was calming to hear.

[Btw, Dr. Acton's childhood is one of growing up neglected, abused and at one time homeless, a very incredible story. She is currently a mother of six and married to a high school track coach. Everyone is giving her high marks.]

On more positive notes, dh and I had our semi-annual meeting with our financial advisor today via phone call. The FA is very upbeat about “now is the time to buy". He sees things on the stock moving upward once the country gets ahead of the virus. It really did dh and I a lot of good talking to him, we are now in a better frame of mind.

I told the FA, “It's reassuring to have this talk with you after watching the nightly news talk continuously about the stock market plunging." And the FA said, “Well, as they say, good news doesn't sell newspapers."

I loved that. Puts some of this in to perspective.

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Divine, my DH is a CPA and Financial Advisor and echos your FA.

• divinemrsm
    edited April 2020
    Options

Interesting, Yogatyme!

My niece, a therapist, shared this on her Facebook page and I found it helpful:

• SerenitySTAT
    edited April 2020
    Options

Not all deaths are due to COVID-19, but this is an extreme example of the need to take extra care of the vulnerable.

Here in Quebec, we have multiple outbreaks in long-term care facilities and senior residences. There's a shortage of PPE, staff, and training.

This is a problem in many places. Please stay safe.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited May 2020
    Options

Stay safe!

• flashlight
    flashlight Member Posts: 311
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hopefully with the nice weather this pandemic will grow weaker and the lessons we have learned from covid19 will make us stronger. I for one am tired of it all and want to get back to the new normal.

• marijen
    edited May 2020
    Options

For those of you with an open mind, this video s stunning.

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Robert Kennedy Jr. Destroys Big Pharma, Fauci & Pro-Vaccine Movement

https://youtu.be/QLi6ZrFp6vQ

• brigid_to
    brigid_to Member Posts: 22
    edited May 2020
    Options

I am hoping marjens post gets taken down for promoting irresponsible and inaccurate information. Until then please take a look at the following if you have questions:

RFK Jr. Is Our Brother and Uncle. He’s Tragically Wrong About Vaccines.

Vaccine Safety

I am not really sure what we can do about "anti-vax true believers" other than to put the evidence forward and to set a personal example.

• divinemrsm
    edited May 2020
    Options

Thank you brigid.

I'm aware of Kennedy's anti vax stance and how others in his family disagree.

I will go on record to say when the Covid19 vaccine is available, I will be zooming to wherever I have to go, stand in any long line (with social distancing of course) and use whatever kind of powers of persuasion I need to use to get in on the 1st round this vaccine ASAP.

• marijen
    edited May 2020
    Options

Mrs Divine and Ingrid,moderators want me to take it down. But did you watch it before you expressed your opinion? RFK himself said he is not an anti-vaxer, nor am I. It's more about ensuring the safety of vaccines and much more than than that. It really is very informative. He also throughout his interview includes that his knowledge is based on science and data, which his family has not looked into. Besides vaccines he covers a many subjects