Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

BIRADS 0 for focal asymmetry

Options
jlt814
jlt814 Member Posts: 9
edited March 2023 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

I had a screening mammogram and ultrasound last week. My ultrasound came back all clear, but the mammogram noted inconclusive results due to focal asymmetry in my left breast. I go back in two weeks for a diagnostic mammo and ultrasound.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this before and what the outcome was, especially with a negative ultrasound. No calcifications or masses were noted on either report, but I do have dense breast tissue. Wondering what the chances are that the mammo is hiding something not seen on the ultrasound.

Comments

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    Options

Sorry you have this worry, but there is no way to guess "what the chances are," other than to say that the probability is high that there is nothing to be seen. When they do both a screening mammo and US, and one imaging shows "something" and the other doesn't, it calls for a review. That's what the birads-0 means -- not enough information available. A focal asymmetry can easily just be an imaging figment, esp if not seen on both modes of imaging.

It is very good news that no calcifications or masses were seen. Please let us know what you find out.

Edited to add: I recently went through this with a screening mammo and focal asymmetry. I didn't have an US at the time, but returned for diagnostic mammo and US. There was something they were still wondering about but did not see a correlate on the US. I have a follow-up in 3 months. If you have no history of cancer, if they don't see anything at your diagnostic session, they'll give you an all-clear. It is reasonable, esp with dense breasts, for you to ask for a follow-up in 6 months, if you would feel better with that.

• jlt814
    jlt814 Member Posts: 9
    Options

@mountainmia, thank you for your reply, and I'm glad to hear that everything was ok at your follow-up. The waiting and what-ifs are always so stressful, and while I'm glad that my drs are being diligent I wish they could read screening results on the spot in case issues like this come up.