Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Starting Chemo May and June 2024 Support Thread

Comments

• justsnapd8
    justsnapd8 Member Posts: 115

@Love4All You are so very brave, and beautiful! Thanks for sharing both the bald picture as well as the scarf ones.

• sarahjunefox
    sarahjunefox Member Posts: 58

@love4All The shaved head really suits you! You have a lovely shaped head. Mine is VERY small. my husband has always called me pea head 🙃

RIP Sinead. I love her too. She lived on my road for a while and I used to see her around from time to time. 💔

• Love4All
    Love4All Member Posts: 111
    edited July 1

I’m wondering how everyone is feeling after another week is behind us? I think about each of you every day and hope you’re all hanging in there! I spend the majority of my time alone since my husband works and I take care of the house/yard/cooking/laundry/kids (who never cease to need my help at ages 24 and 21 🤪). I didn’t sign up for this parenting forever bullshit. I thought they’d be like me and leave the house at 18 never to return! It’s a different world I guess 🤷‍♀️

• ebfitzy
    ebfitzy Member Posts: 86

@Love4All today is day 10 and I’m mostly feeling normal aside from headaches still. I’m having SOME hair come out but no clumps or anything that’s making me ready to shave my head just yet. My next infusion is two days before the fourth which sucks. Probably won’t be able to enjoy it much!

• Love4All
    edited June 21

@ebfitzy Glad you are feeling better! I hope the headache goes away soon, too. Sucks that your infusion is right before the Fourth of July. Maybe have a bbq the night before your infusion with ur fav foods and sparklers 🧨 🍔🌽🍺🥳!

• lyniepooh
    lyniepooh Member Posts: 8

I'm 7 treatments down with 5 to go…..minor side effects besides the hair loss. Funny I think to myself….if hair loss is all…..why be so concerned…lol. I think I feel worse after the combo Taxol and then the Herceptin (every 3rd week). Still having some digestive issues with diarrhea and sometimes nausea, but anti diarrheals and compazine help. Seems my allergies are on higher alert these days with congestion and coughing. All in all not too bad. I get a little frustrated with the dang wigs not wanting to stay on my head…..lol. This wig fell off after wearing it for a couple hours thank goodness I was already in the truck.

• fossf56
    fossf56 Member Posts: 36
  • Love4All

That is the sweetest pic!!! Look at those smiles 🥰🥰🥰 I hope you feel better having the hair off your head!

• justsnapd8

Love the matching cuts! He's a real trooper!

• ebfitzy

well, I had my first real “gob of hair” come out tonight before bed. I was really hoping I’d somehow get “lucky” lol…owell! I always said it’s the least of my concerns, but it might be a little hard to bear at first. Question is- is it worth pixie cutting first or better to just get it over with and shave? Opinions? On a good note I’m pretty much feeling normal again, although a little bummed I STILL started my period. I was really hoping it would temporarily stop bc I’ve dealt with heavy and painful periods my whole life. Ugh! I’m definitely pale…had multiple people mention it today. Hopefully it doesn’t cause me any additional issues!

• Love4All
    edited June 25

@ebfitzy I’d say go for the pixie cut! Make it as short as you can because the few inches of hair that are longer at the crown will constantly fall out and tickle your face 😩. I’m sorry you’re still getting a visit from Aunt Flo… she’s such a bitch! Maybe this will be the last one 🤞Glad you are feeling better, too!

@sarahjunefox I’m loving your monk look 😂😂😂

I have my second treatment in a couple hours. My best friend flew in on Saturday afternoon from her new home in Hawaii to take me. I’m so happy to have her here, but she’s leaving tomorrow already. I got two days with her at least 🥰

• justsnapd8

@ebfitzy I haven't started hair loss yet but went for the pixie when I thought I would start chemo before my cruise vacation. I didn't want to be shedding a lot on the ship!

• lyniepooh
    lyniepooh Member Posts: 8

Thank you, fossf56, I will order them and see if they work for me.

• ebfitzy

@sarahjunefox i LOVE your positive attitude and how your making the best of the situation! So good 😊

• Love4All

@ebfitzy My eyebrows were already super thinned out due to my thyroid problem, but so far I haven’t lost any of the little I have. I’ve heard people lose them and eyelashes, but I don’t know when or if that happens to everyone. Fingers crossed you’ll keep them!

• sarahjunefox

@ebfitzy Well done! I've found that taking charge of the bits that feel like they're taking charge of me has been so liberating. The hair loss SUCKS but if you can do it on your terms you'll manage it better. My eyebrows and eyelashes fell out after the second round. I had my eyebrows microbladed so I'm kinda getting away with it. And bizarrely I only lost all my top lashes so I'm just wearing fake ones (which only seem to come in nightclub length!! 😅)

• sarahjunefox

2 sessions in, my third is on Monday. What are your strangest side effects? Mine was hiccups after the first, everything I ate caused them! Then after the second, an eye twitch that didn't go away, but switched eyes after 2 weeks. 🤨

• Love4All

I had my second chemo on Monday and strangely I, too, have had an eye twitch this round! My bottom lid on my left eye. It comes and goes. I thought it was just from stress! I also hiccup HARD after I drink anything in the first few days after chemo. I think that is from the steroids (my hubby went through it during his cancer treatment five years ago, so they lowered his steroids and they stopped). I will say my worst symptom is the headache after the second treatment. They lowered my chemo dose by 20% and skipped the Neulasta this time since my symptoms were so bad the first time. That has helped with the exhaustion and the bone pain, but the damn headache will not go away. Feels like one of my migraine headaches 😩🤕.

• sarahjunefox

@Love4All headaches are the worst! I'm lowering my steroid dose this time to see if I can maybe get some sleep in the first week.

• Love4All

They gave me a quarter dose of steroids this time because I had wicked heart palpitations, and I STILL couldn’t sleep! I’m gonna ask for some sleeping pills next time.

• fossf56

I had my second chemo on Monday:

My hair is just falling out in clumps even thought it is super short. So shaving it this weekend. I do still have my eyebrows but got them bladed before I started treatment. @ebfitzy your eyebrows look great.

My skin is very itchy, under my arms, on my legs. So looking for any x-strenght body lotion advice here. I am using a Nivea lotion but it is not really helping. I might get Aveeno anti-itch concentrated lotion today.

Diarrhea is still daily, lomotil is helping really well and am taking that daily.

I have a weird rash, almost like nappy/diaper rash on my upper legs so using zinc oxide cream for that.

I drank lots of coconut water this week to keep my electrolytes and potassium in check I hope, I had really bad night sweats on Wednesday night (day 2 after chemo) but definitely not as bad as my 1st time.

I have a fluid appointment this afternoon, so glad I had that scheduled.

• justsnapd8

I'm not going to say I have weird side effects. But the diarrhea is quite literally a PITA! 😂 I started Cycle 1 on June 19th, and had a 2nd dose of Taxol only on the 25th. My scalp started tingling yesterday so I know what's coming. I'll have another dose of Taxol on July 2nd, then start Cycle 2 the following week, with Keytruda, Carboplatin, and Taxol.

@fossf56 My niece turned me on to CeraVé lotion. It's working really well for me.

• Love4All
    edited June 28

@fossf56 I’m not sure, but does coconut water have laxative effects? I know it has a lot of potassium, which can cause diarrhea in some people. Also, if you have IBS issues, coconut water is a no-no. It is high in FODMAPS that trigger IBS (my daughter has IBS, so I know more about this stuff than I ever wanted to know 😂). I use an electrolyte powder called Ultima Replenisher in raspberry flavor that I love. Also, I loaded up on cold pressed, organic green juice (without apples) from a brand called Evolution they sell at Whole Foods to help detox after the chemo. I drink one a day for two weeks. Maybe try eating a banana every day instead of the coconut water since they have a binding effect, but lots of potassium?

As for the lotion, I use unscented Eucerin cream (comes in a jar) when I’m really dry. For every day, I use unscented Alba Botanicals Very Emollient lotion.

I’m so sorry you are having such annoying issues! Make sure you tell your doctors all of your symptoms because their goal should be to make you as comfortable as possible throughout this process. They may want to tweak things based on your symptoms, or give you ideas on how best to treat them. Hang in there!

• dw0330
    dw0330 Member Posts: 18
    edited June 29

First round of TCHP in my record book.

I had my first round of TCHP on Monday 6/24/2024. I spent the day before hydrating, hydrating, and hydrating. The morning of, I also made sure I had lots of fluids. I held the record for most visits to the restroom. But hey, I was hydrated LOL! It was a long day! I have a wonderful support team. I have had someone with me 24 / 7. So far, I am on day 5 and my most severe side effect is dizziness. It started 2 days after my treatment, along with a red patchy face. Yesterday, I called my doctor. It turns our Olanzapine, used as an anti-nausea medication, may be the culprit. It is also used to treat mental health. I didn't know it was used for mental health too. I'm very sensitive to medications and makes sense I'm dizzy from it. I finished my dose and I'm hoping the dizziness will clear up soon. I'm drinking organic coconut water, filtered water, 1/2 mix of Pedialyte and 1/2 mix of water to stay hydrated. Also having protein powered smoothies and eating lots of fruits.

DX 5/16/2024 IDC HER2+ ER+ PR-

• justsnapd8

@dw0330 As I recall, Olanzapine is normally prescribed for schizophrenia, but prescribed off-label to turn off the nausea button in your brain. When I had my port placed, the nurses looked at me kind of funny because I had a prescription for schizophrenia meds.. of course, I educated them! I hope your dizziness gets resolved quickly🤗

• fossf56

@Love4All oh no, well that would not be helping me. I'll switch to my electrolyte powders again, the coconut water is just so good when it is going down. The juice sounds great I'll get that today (or send my husband to get it😀). I did tell my nurse navigator, and the nurse at my hydration appointment yesterday that I was taking coconut water.

@justsnapd8 I have Lomotil prescribed for my diarrhea. Immodium was not working for me at all. If you don't have that prescribed I really recommend it.

@dw0330 I have Olanzapine prescribed as well, I had a reaction to the Fosaprepitant pre meds and they switched me to take Olanzapine for 4 days (including chemo day)

I'm thinking with all my weird symptoms from chemo that cancer is being blasted out of my body.

I have a CT scan scheduled for July 8th and am pretty anxious to see those little dots gone from my lungs.