Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Just diagnosed

I have just been diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. I’ve had breast cancer before, but that was diagnosed at stage 2 and I was able to get surgery, chemo and radiation. How does everyone handle knowing that cancer is just staying in their body? It’s scary knowing that I can’t do anything about it.

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,254

keepthefaith,

Sorry you are joining us but welcome. When you say you can’t do anything about it, what do you mean? Although stage IV is not curable it can be treated and held at bay for increasingly longer periods of time. Depending on your personal situation, chemo, radiation, and even some types of surgery are available . You didn’t mention where your mets are as different treatments target different types of mets.

It certainly must be difficult emotionally but once you get a treatment plan in place and you’ve had time to fully understand your situation, it does get easier. You might also consider making your signature line public so we can understand your circumstances better. Take care

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560

We're so sorry you find yourself here, @keepthefaith, we know this is a lot to process. As exbrxgrl mentioned, once you get a treatment plan in place, it DOES get easier. Many, many of our members have been living with MBC for years, decades even - it is not curable, but it can be treated.

We also moved your topic to our metastatic forum, where you'll be able to read about and connect with others who are living everyday with MBC. You are not alone! Take it one day at a time, we're all here with you.

If you're interested in additional support, we want to let you know we offer very supportive, moderated Virtual Community Meetups. There are a number of different groups and times, so if you're interested, please check them out here: Virtual Community Meetups.

We’re here for you,

The Mods

• vermonster
    vermonster Member Posts: 20

Just joined this club - never wanted to be here - still waiting on molecular sequencing, and as of yesterday the insurance pre-authorization for Faslodex and Kisqali. Waiting sucks.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited July 12

Hi @vermonster,

We're so sorry to hear this news, but we're glad we can be here for you. Would you want to create a new discussion to introduce yourself and share your story in the Stage IV MBC forum, where others can welcome you and support you?

In addition, we're sharing these threads you might find helpful:

Also, we have some amazing members who join us weekly in our weekly MBC Zoom Meetups — we'd love if you could register and join us for face-to-face support from others in a similar situation. You can see the times/days and register here: https://www.breastcancer.org/community/virtual-meetups#section-do-you-have-metastatic-breast-cancer-mbc-also-called-stage-iv

We hope this helps and that you find the support you need here — we've all got you!

—The Mods

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,167

@keepthefaith - the approach for treating State IV is that we're in it for the long haul. Once you're on your treatment plan (and especially when you get confirmation that it's working), you settle into a "new normal". It's really scary and frustrating in the beginning. The best thing my first MO told me was to think in terms of years and not months. My mantra is, "I'm OK until I'm not OK," and we go on and live our lives as well as we can. I'm still on my first line treatment that I started 4 years ago today.

@vermonster - my liver was a mess when I started, too - though I was dx'd de novo. The CDK 4/6 inhibitor (I'm on Verzenio) and anastrozole cleared it up in 7½ months. I see you've already been on anastrozole, and are switching to Faslodex. I hope it works just as well for you.

One last note: Be careful with Google. The new drugs in the last several years have really changed things. If it's from before 2015, take it with a grain of salt.

• lenn13ka
    lenn13ka Member Posts: 104

Hello all,

I just joined the club as well. My original stage 2a from 10 years ago became a local regional recurrence in January 2024. Now, a pet scan has just found metastatic nodes in the clavicle, neck area and a few small nodes in my lungs. I have been on exemestane and Verzenio. I am meeting with my oncologist on Thursday to regroup. 😡

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 830

@lenn13ka Sorry you joined the club everyone wishes they weren't drug into. Ugh especially after 10 years I would imagine it is quite surprising. Good news is that there have been many advances over the years to increase overall survival rate. Sending good vibes your way for your appointment and hoping your plan comes together quickly. Hugs.