Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Just diagnosed

Options

I have just been diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. I’ve had breast cancer before, but that was diagnosed at stage 2 and I was able to get surgery, chemo and radiation. How does everyone handle knowing that cancer is just staying in their body? It’s scary knowing that I can’t do anything about it.

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,800
    Options

keepthefaith,

Sorry you are joining us but welcome. When you say you can’t do anything about it, what do you mean? Although stage IV is not curable it can be treated and held at bay for increasingly longer periods of time. Depending on your personal situation, chemo, radiation, and even some types of surgery are available . You didn’t mention where your mets are as different treatments target different types of mets.

It certainly must be difficult emotionally but once you get a treatment plan in place and you’ve had time to fully understand your situation, it does get easier. You might also consider making your signature line public so we can understand your circumstances better. Take care

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,999
    Options

We're so sorry you find yourself here, @keepthefaith, we know this is a lot to process. As exbrxgrl mentioned, once you get a treatment plan in place, it DOES get easier. Many, many of our members have been living with MBC for years, decades even - it is not curable, but it can be treated.

We also moved your topic to our metastatic forum, where you'll be able to read about and connect with others who are living everyday with MBC. You are not alone! Take it one day at a time, we're all here with you.

If you're interested in additional support, we want to let you know we offer very supportive, moderated Virtual Community Meetups. There are a number of different groups and times, so if you're interested, please check them out here: Virtual Community Meetups.

We’re here for you,

The Mods