Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Poll: How does Breast Cancer Awareness Month make you feel?

Select the answer below that best matches your emotions and expand your thoughts in the thread below.

Poll: How does Breast Cancer Awareness Month make you feel? 94 votes

angered about brands using the month for marketing
12%
bcincoloradorockymwren44fe_princessjons_girldancemomtrishyla1wayoutwestheandmeminniesmombestrong123mmerlina71 12 votes
empowered and supported
3%
chuckee1104bella6162pappauw 3 votes
hopeful and motivated to help spread the messaging
22%
catsmelinsnyedaprildavies72jarolandm8521jolieanradiation_cinderellabcfightr24warrior2024kateo31Love4Alldmataraz1julie66hmalik01baygrasspenny13appleladyloves2quiltinxanadu68jensweethrt 21 votes
irritated and triggered by the constant reminders
19%
otterts542001lacombattanteformydaughterakslowwachafrancesca30abigailjbchmom03ginny.bnorah2024lukasmomfrog44lularoseegrannycarolrafiki3socalirunnerchic 18 votes
isolated because I don't feel represented
6%
rhgsrmiriandrasf-cakesnerdherderbernardstuckinnz 6 votes
mixed emotions, some positive, some negative
27%
exbrnxgrlluvmyfamgeorgiaredskiningerptowardshealth17puzzled1maggiehopleysimplysuelindaminnie43ars31178amesisland715teri_afreedom2010yellow524524csouderbeachbumdreamergill985hubsterskmiller73latx831 26 votes
neutral; I don’t feel one way or another
8%
princessbuttercupjhlheymama2jlgarberlmlfieldmelanierdori0307day.glow.23 8 votes

Comments

• linsnyed
    linsnyed Member Posts: 2

The pink color is triggering.

• aprildavies72
    aprildavies72 Member Posts: 4

To me, anything that can bring awareness, regardless of the "money making" opportunity somewhere for companies, is something positive and good! Breast cancer took a lot away from me, thankfully it didn't take my life, and I "feel" October so much differently now, because it was my fight too. I just can't see anything negative in this. But that's just my personal opinion.

• dm8521
    dm8521 Member Posts: 3

While I appreciate the the feelings of those who dislike the reminders and marketing use, I still feel it is the perfect time to remind, gently or forcefully, my friends and family to get screened. I can post my reminders as well as share the ones posted by others, all month long, without disclosing my own situation or feeling guilty about so many reminders/memes.

Denise D

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,249
    mixed emotions, some positive, some negative

Thank you! I really, really wish that everyone, including our lower stage sisters, would reflect on how marginalized stage IV is through the fluffy, pink crap. One day, one freaking day for the only type of bc that is terminal and while deaths from bc have decreased somewhat, it has been a mere drop in the bucket. Don’t ignore stage IV!
    As I said earlier , I appreciate the dollars it has brought to bc research but it feels like a slap in the face as we are marginalized and almost hidden since no one seems too interested in the fact that tens of thousands still die every year. In the whole fluffy pink awareness movement, we are simply the failures that no one wants out front to make people truly aware of what bc is.

• julie66
    julie66 Member Posts: 2

I understand people’s feelings regarding the idea of earning money on BC month pink merchandise. I never really thought about that. I also feel so much empathy for people that are stage 4 or have longer more difficult journeys than I’ve had so far, hearing about early screening during the month. I also feel it brings so much hope that others won’t have to suffer so much if they receive early treatment. I also like seeing pink and the messages because it reminds me of all my pink sisters and how we are all in this together and how grateful I am about that. I wish no one had to go thru this, I also like the fact that it brings so much awareness which hopefully will result, one day, for a cure and better treatment options.
    i have IDC, had lumpectomy starting chemo in several weeks and will follow up with 4-6 weeks of radiation’.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,173
    isolated because I don't feel represented

"Saving 2nd base!" "Save the tatas!" "Bros for boobies!"

Saving the bumps on our chests is less important than saving the woman who is going through aggressive treatments for a life-threatening disease. I am heartened that more and more women who choose a mastectomy as part of their treatment are choosing to go with an AFC instead of a mound reconstruction. We are learning more and more about BII and other risks from implants, expanders, and flaps; and it's great that doctors are being more proactive in offering all the options. But the media still harps on the false idea that you won't feel like a woman unless you have monster boobs after fighting cancer. Screw them.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,553

Keep them coming. Very helpful and important to hear all your voices.

• ts542001
    ts542001 Member Posts: 37
    irritated and triggered by the constant reminders

i am quite irritated. i was diagnosed with stage 1 IDC and a week later was diagnosed with stage 4. i found it early, didnt help

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 382
    angered about brands using the month for marketing

I'm so sorry ts. That is effed beyond belief.