Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can DCIS become "cancer" in 5 months?

Thank you very much for this space.

I am informed about DCIS, but have a question which I cannot find an answer to anywhere on the internet. After searching for a week, I am now thinking it may not have an answer.

Past and current situation

My wife, age 46, was diagnosed with stage zero DCIS 12 months ago. She received a lumpectomy (lab report showed all clear margins ((bc. it was stage zero)) as well as no lymph involvement.) She received radiotherapy for about 2 months and decided against the 5 years of Tamoxifen offered to her. At her last routine return check-up (which was 5 months ago), her ultrasound was clear and her blood work was fine. Since then, we have been through many extremely stressful situations (non-health related) and last week, she broke down, telling me she is worried that "it is back." I asked why and she said she felt something there earlier that day. She showed me, I checked and much to my horror discovered one big, seemingly connected, hard "mass" about the size of a small pizza slice, just above where the surgeon performed the lumpectomy that covered her entire inner breast area. She said she never really felt around there after the operation, which I can understand, and so all she could say with certainty was "something" was there before her last checkup, but she just chalked it up to "injury" or "scarring" from the operation, which she now feels has changed in size/become harder to touch. Her next follow up exam is scheduled for next month, but to ease worry, she will be getting checked out this Friday (not at the hospital she was operated on/or by her surgeon).

Question

My question is this. Is it possible that my wife has now developed painless palpable hard masses (the total area of a pizza slice) in the 5 months since her last checkup, which involved an ultrasound and thorough blood work? Or is this scarring or something else from the operation? (Her surgeon never mentioned any possible side-effects and we cannot get into see him because he is booked solid for years to come…)

My logical mind is telling me that "anything" would have been picked up by the ultrasound, but my anxious animal mind thinks the worst.

Any "answers" to my obviously anxious question would be highly appreciated.

Lastly, my best wishes to everyone out there.

Thank you.

Comments

• lmlfield
    lmlfield Member Posts: 1

The anxiety is so real and understandable. I had a pretty sizable lumpectomy three years ago for atypia (not cancer), and after a year my whole middle breast felt hard and lumpy, almost like a solid mass in there. All scar tissue and fat necrosis, as they say. Benign, post surgical changes. Absolutely defer to the doctor of course, but hopefully that puts your mind a little more at ease as you wait for Friday’s appointment. I hope for the best for her 🩷

• worriedcurious
    worriedcurious Member Posts: 7

I am very sorry to hear about your experience and I thank you so much for your answer!

Post surgical changes (like scar tissue) is what I am hoping for.

I haven't slept in days out of worry for my wife…I suffer from chronic anxiety and have had my share of suffering in life, but I simply cannot comprehend how awful this whole journey must be for my wife. She was so brave before, during and after confirmation/surgery, WAY better than I would have been... She can't feel very good now, because she told me before I signed up here she didn't want to talk about it…She is such a beautiful soul and it is now only a year (I refuse to use the term "anniversary") since she was diagnosed…

Wishing you health and happiness!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,561

Hi @worriedcurious, Understandably, a cancer diagnosis of any sort is really anxiety-provoking. And if you are already someone who is challenged by chronic anxiety, this can really wreak havoc on your mental health.

We're glad your wife was able to get an earlier appointment. That's wonderful.
    It sounds like she received excellent care, and that this is likely (hopefully) scarring. The doctor will be able to reassure you, and in the meantime, we're glad you are addressing your anxieties, as the fears/trauma of a cancer diagnosis can really persist in some people for a very long time, always creeping up.

Please keep us posted, and try to distract yourself, and do wonderful little things together this week!
    We're here for you!

• worriedcurious

Thank you very much for this platform that your provide. You help a lot of people.

I will take her on a date tomorrow!!!

THANK YOU!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,255

While I understand your question and your concerns, I don’t think there really is an answer as no one can predict when DCIS undergoes the necessary changed to become invasive. Could it happen in a a short period of time? Yes but is less likely and, you would have no way of knowing if this were a new primary, unrelated to dcis, or a few dcis cells that underwent changes to become invasive.
    There are still many unknowns when it comes to bc and big variations in each person’s disease as well as how they respond to treatment. There is far more uncertainty than most believe. Try to hang on until Friday and stay away from paths that are possible, but not likely .

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 290

Welcome Worriedcurious:

I had DCIS in 2013. Since then, I have studied this dx extensively and all that I have learnt is that the prognosis after clear margins (even without) is an almost 100% chance of living until something else kills you. There are rare exceptions of course, but having such a quick recurrence is almost unheard of. There are no guarantees for any of us, but for this to be a recurrence and invasive would completely be outside of anything I have read. Please try to relax and yet pursue this vigorously as something is going on but most likely not even close to your worst fears. Please embrace finding the cause with your partner without fearing the worst. You sound like an amazing couple and I hate for you both to be so worried.

• worriedcurious

Thank you very much for your detailed response! I appreciate it greatly. You proved my suspicion that there are just way too many variables involved for me to get a straight "answer." I guess that's one thing people do when faced with uncertainty. They look for answers…

Thank you, again

• worriedcurious

Thank you very much for your response! The margins were VERY clear, thus my shock when she told me…

I guess in this crazy journey nothing can be truly "ruled out", that is until we get the tests done and the results come back.

I want to thank you and everyone else who answered my questions so quickly. I deeply appreciate it.

I wish you and everyone else health and happiness!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,255

worried curious,

Unfortunately, breast cancer turns out to be far more complex, with far too many unknowns, than most folks know. It’s only when we get plunged into the bc world that we find out how true this is. Take care.

• worriedcurious

Hello,

To everyone who helped answer my questions and put my mind at rest, I am here to report that my wife received good news and was told it is just scarring and hematoma. We will, of course, continue with all the necessary follow-up examinations in future.

My wife and I would like to wish everyone health and happiness.

Thank you so much!

• katg
    katg Member Posts: 247

I just found your post and am happy to hear it is a good outcome. Breast cancer comes in many diagnoses, and nobody is the same. For me, I have taken the pills offered. For me, my letrozole has given me next to no side effects. Ultimately it is only the choice of the one with breast cancer. I am happy so many posted with real experience.