Topic: Cold Caps Users Past and Present, to Save Hair

Forum: Managing Side Effects of Breast Cancer and Its Treatment —

Posted on: Jun 14, 2009 04:04PM

Posted on: Jun 14, 2009 04:04PM

Can-D wrote:

Hi all, I wanted to start a forum for all us that are using the cold caps to try to save our hair.  I am on FEC100 X3 followed by Taxotere X3.  My dosage unfortunately is not a guaranteed success.  I am 40 days out from my first treatment and will have my third June 17.  So far I have thinned but have not required a wig.  I have no bald spots; however, around my right ear is the thinnest..I think because the cap wasn't tight there.  All in all, I am pleased to still have a good covering.  If you are using or have used the Cold Caps, I would love to hear your experience.  Take care, Candy

FEC100 X3 followed by Taxotere X3, Bilateral Mx w/ immediate reconstruction..Wake Me Up When September Ends!!! Dx 3/19/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 658 of 2,146 (21,459 results)

Jul 31, 2012 09:07PM soccergirl wrote:

Dryness was an obstacle for me with the chemo.  I kept 70% of my hair and was very active through chemo. However, the protocol does not Tailor to hair types.  I kept most of my hair but cut 5 inches off at the ends  because the hair was so fried.  I get the need to stick to normal activities for mind and body healing.  Chemo is so drying and I think I would have benefited with more intensive conditioning.  One obstacle you might have is when the shedding starts, it can get tangled in the hair.  This was the worst part of the caps.  Heavy shedding with limited combing and having knots to comb through.  That is when I lost the most hair.  Are you swimming in chlorine? 

Dx 4/4/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Aug 1, 2012 10:00PM sebm9 wrote:

soltantio: I hear you! My favorite -- and most overall effective -- form of exercising is swimming. At the end of my treatment, it was definitely work. Though clinically my red cells were fine on my labwork, I could feel the difference: going up stairs, carrying anything, walking uphill, swimming -- all were much more work. But I am as stubborn and focussed as they come, and I made myself swim every day. In fact, by the end of the swim I felt better than when I started. It usually takes me 45 minutes to swim 1.25 miles, but it took me over an hour to do that distance.

Btw, Frank never told me not to swim 2.5 years ago -- in fact he helped me figure out how to do it safely. So I'm surprised that they tell people not to swim, it clearly worked very well for me. (Frank also figured that having my head in cold water for an hour each day was an additional benefit. This was before he recommended that people wear caps between infusion treatments for added support.)

Susan 

Dx 2/3/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 2, 2012 12:36PM SelenaWolf wrote:

During chemotherapy, after every, solitary hair I owned was gone, I considered the irony: up until that point, I'd spent a fortune shaving, waxing, plucking, trimming and otherwise ripping out any suggestion of body hair.  Then, when I, finally, had no hint of hair whatsoever, all I could do was wish for the day it would grow back.  Go figure.

"... good girls never made history ..."

Aug 2, 2012 05:51PM sebm9 wrote:

soltantio: I had 4TC@3. I found that at about the 2 mark I no longer had to shave, and anything pluckable didn't return for months. Everything down south went pretty much on the Day 14-15 mark, but I used that as an excuse to get some silky things :-) It was an astonishing measure of the success of the caps, to have a totally hair-free body (save brows and eyelashes, which hung on til the end) and a 90% full head of hair. I loved having a shave-free summer!

Dx 2/3/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 3, 2012 07:36AM stayinhappy wrote:

Ok, I am 16 days past my first chemo.  Hair is beginning to shed, but not in handfuls. Makes me very anxious.  My body hair is still holding on though.  Like you sebm9, I'll feel confident that the caps are working if, when my body hair is gone, I still have a head of hair.  I know it will thin, but oh how I hope it won't all fall out! 

My SEs were very mild, and for that I am tremendously grateful. 

Mucinous Carcinoma 3.5 cm and DCIS (scattered areas), 100% ER, 98% PR, Her2 2+ (Neutral/Equivocal), OnctoypeDX 20, 43 years old, premenopausal Dx 5/2/2012, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 1/8 nodes, ER+/PR+ Chemotherapy 7/17/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/8/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Aug 3, 2012 07:54AM stayinhappy wrote:

I have had some strange itching and almost tingling in my scalp this week.  Did you other CC users experience this? Should I be alarmed?

Mucinous Carcinoma 3.5 cm and DCIS (scattered areas), 100% ER, 98% PR, Her2 2+ (Neutral/Equivocal), OnctoypeDX 20, 43 years old, premenopausal Dx 5/2/2012, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 1/8 nodes, ER+/PR+ Chemotherapy 7/17/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/8/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Aug 3, 2012 02:21PM dancetrancer wrote:

Yep, I've had lots of bouts of tingling, itching, even scalp soreness.  In fact, just had another round of it last week (I'm 7.5 weeks PFC).  I'm still shedding, and my hair is thinner, but I still have enough coverage that most can't tell.  The thinnest part is near my crown. 

Cold caps work! coldcapphotos.shutterfly.com/p... TCH: 4/10 - 6/13/12; 33 rads; BMX w/fat grafting; DX: 7/29/11 @ age 43: Stage 1A on L (3 mm IDC w/ 6 cm DCIS, Gr 2 ER/PR+, HER2+) 0/3 nodes; Stage 0 on R (2 mm DCIS); see bio.

Aug 3, 2012 05:15PM howard wrote:

Theladygrey: how did your hair cut and highlighting turn out? I waited 6 months pfc, too, and it was a huge day to be a blond again! Tears came to my eyes when I arrived at the hairdressers as I imagined where I'd be if I had not done PCCs. My DH brought me flowers knowing how long I waited for that day!
Now I'm one year and 3 months pfc and do anything I want with my long hair and have no restrictions.
I highly recommend Penguin Cold Caps!

TCx4, grade 3, no lymph nodes, stage 2a

Aug 3, 2012 05:15PM howard wrote:

Theladygrey: how did your hair cut and highlighting turn out? I waited 6 months pfc, too, and it was a huge day to be a blond again! Tears came to my eyes when I arrived at the hairdressers as I imagined where I'd be if I had not done PCCs. My DH brought me flowers knowing how long I waited for that day!
Now I'm one year and 3 months pfc and do anything I want with my long hair and have no restrictions.
I highly recommend Penguin Cold Caps!

TCx4, grade 3, no lymph nodes, stage 2a

Aug 3, 2012 08:07PM mdg wrote:

Yes - I had a sore scalp at times through chemo but kept most of my hair.  It felt like I had worn a ponytail too tight all day or something.  I started shedding hair "south of the border" around 15-17 days after my first TC infusion.  I started shedding some hair from my head around day 21.  Hang in there girls!  The caps work!!!! 

Maria Visit my BC Blog at breastcancerwontdefineme.blogs... Dx 12/13/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/22/2010 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 1/26/2011 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 3/2/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2011 Surgery 6/21/2011 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 12/9/2011 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction

Page 658 of 2,146 (21,459 results)

Scroll to top button