Topic: easyTAI CHI BREATHER EXERCISE to move Lymph fluid out

Forum: Lymphedema — Talk with other about how to lower your risk of lymphedema and how to manage it if you've been diagnosed.

Posted on: Nov 26, 2012 09:58PM - edited May 17, 2018 02:30PM by hugz4u

Posted on: Nov 26, 2012 09:58PM - edited May 17, 2018 02:30PM by hugz4u

hugz4u wrote:

Posted this in kick butt thread but thought it would be great for all. Super easy. Pictures at bottom of post

Ok girls, This could be done if you can't get exercise in. You probably could even do it in a public washroom,well, maybe not the small stall,but the big wheelchair stall! My MLD girl said TAI CHI exercises have been studied with lymphedema and are excellent to stimulate Lymphatics. This is the exercise she gave to me but I forgot about it. I think I will try to incorperate it into my busy schedule. On the bottom of the sheet is says PILLER, NB(2007) Lymphoedema Assemssment clinic- Flinders Medical Centre: Based on Clinical trial outcomes, Lymphology 2004 So the exercise given was studied in a trial. YEAH!

Starting here I will type word for word from the sheet she gave me:

This exercise will help improve lymph flow from your arms and help reduce the size of your arms.

Perform this exercise 5 times on each of 5 occasions per day (when you wake up, at lunch time, at aafternooon tea, after dinner and just before you go to bed).

It works best if you leave your sleeve on if you wear one.

The most important ones are when you wake up and when you go to bed as this will help clear accumlated fluids from your tummy and chest area and allow the lymph fluid to better drain from your arms.

How to perform the exercise

(it's a little like how you would welcome a friend-but slower)

1) Point your fingers towards your chest (breast bone)

2)Slowly open your arms out ( as you would welcome a friend)

3)While still breathing in open your arms out as much as possible and put your hands back as far as you can-ensuring that you stretch and tighten your muscle in your hands and forearms and upper arms.

4)Hold your arms like this (while still holding your breath) for 3-4 seconds

5) Relax your muscles of your hands and arms and while slowly breathing OUT as much as you can, return your arms to the postion as in point 1 where your fingers are again pointing towards your chest

6) The whole exercise shoud be done SLOWLY and each one should take about 10 seconds. REPEAT 5 times.

That was the instruction sheet she gave me. I might add that when you breathe out you could bend over and make your back like a letter "C." This would compress the air out and pump the lymphatic system deeper. Just like when Sherry Lebed hugs a beach ball and bends over and breathes out.

This exercise should be easy enough for those with limited abilities. Let me know if you are going to try it. Lets call it the TAI CHI BREATHER seeing that it had no formal name on the exercise sheet. Out of curiousity, I would like to know if it bothers anyones LE or improves flow.

I could see how this could be very relaxing and calm the nervous system if done slowly.

Page 3 of 9 (86 results)

May 12, 2014 09:04PM flannelette wrote:

thanks for posting & bumping - My tx was in 2008 but argghhhh - I think I'm just now developing LE as left upper arm now noticeably bigger than right, and sometimes painful. don't know whether to go to my own dr about it, or the oncologist - I'm even finished taking arimidex and MO said she'd see me one more time before I get kicked out of the cancer centre system. I will also go over to the Kicking Le's butt thread, which I've not once looked at, never thinking I had to , all these years.....where does one find a "certified lymphatic massage therapist?"  -- ask your cancer centre?

Dx 7/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIB, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/29/2008 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 9/30/2008 CEF Radiation Therapy 1/9/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/14/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 7/19/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Dx 7/20/2012, 0/6 nodes

May 12, 2014 10:32PM purple32 wrote:

Hi flannette

So sorry you may have to join the "LE club"... a great support group, but honestly, nobody wants to be a member.

Finding a  good certified LE therapist can be a challenge and sometimes takes awhile.  Ask your onc. dr. for a referral.

Some fabulous ladies from our site / forum here created the BEST website all about LE.  More info than you'll ever want to know!  :>)

Check it out for accurate answers and great  info re: things you can do even BEFORE your appt : http://www.stepup-speakout.org/

Good Luck

Laurie

BILAT LE! from 5.12.12.LX DX 3/2012 IDC <1 cm stage 1 GR 1 ( 0/2 nodes) ER PR pos HER2- RECURRENCE same breast Jan 2020 LX FEB 2020 . NO rads or hormones. Dx 3/2012, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/30/2012 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left)

Dec 22, 2014 06:38PM hugz4u wrote:

Bumping this for our newbies.

Also we may not be exercising during the holidays but we can certainly sneak off to the bathroom during a party and do this without anyone even knowing we have exercised. Also we will be sitting more and hence breathing more shallow. This will help stimulate our LE sluggish lymph system.

Go for it. I did it today. Stepped out of the office, into the outside air,and worked out my lymphatic system. Me was HAPPY!

Dec 30, 2014 04:36PM flannelette wrote:

thanks for bumping this. I had a sort of vague memory of learning some LE technique somewhere here, past few days, and here it is! very glad I marked it as a favourite thread.Happy New year all!

Dx 7/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIB, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/29/2008 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 9/30/2008 CEF Radiation Therapy 1/9/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/14/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 7/19/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Dx 7/20/2012, 0/6 nodes

Jan 10, 2015 11:36AM rrs wrote:

This sounds like a good exercise!  Thanks for posting and bumping.  I couldn't get the video link to work though :-(

Jan 10, 2015 12:05PM slv58 wrote:

Nitocris, thank you for that link. A year after surgery, I was fed up with how old chemo had left my joints and started a gentle yoga class for seniors and couldn't believe how good I felt afterwards. Deep breathing was the first thing I learned and it really seemed to help my aching LE arm. I believe this helps the lymph system and have stuck with my classes because I love it.

Shari "my clouds are always silver" Chemotherapy 1/22/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 6/6/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/4/2013 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 3/9/2015 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 4/21/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine)

Jan 10, 2015 04:16PM glennie19 wrote:

I'm excited that community ed is offering a 4 week Tai Chi class at a time I can take around work.  It's only 8 classes long,, but it's a start.

Fibromyalgia and Truncal Lymphedema,,, some of the fun things I live with. Total hysterecomy 9/29/14 Prophy MX Righty 11/30/17 Dx 6/27/2013, Paget's, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/7/2013 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Dx DCIS

Jan 10, 2015 05:50PM FireKracker wrote:

I have stage 0 LE

But

I do lots of different breathing exercises

My breast and arm hurts all the time especially to the touch

I wrote this down and will try it

Thanks...

Glad to see some faces that I no

Focktober!!!!Pink stinks!!!!

Feb 3, 2015 11:11AM hugz4u wrote:

bumping this for Glennie and the rest. This is a cool exercise and I often do it even in the big stall in the bathroom if I need privacy. takes no time at all and gets the oxygen to your brain also.

Feb 3, 2015 11:19AM glennie19 wrote:

Thanks, hugz!!

Fibromyalgia and Truncal Lymphedema,,, some of the fun things I live with. Total hysterecomy 9/29/14 Prophy MX Righty 11/30/17 Dx 6/27/2013, Paget's, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/7/2013 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Dx DCIS

Page 3 of 9 (86 results)

Scroll to top button