Topic: Breaking Research News from sources other than Breastcancer.org

Forum: Clinical Trials, Research News, Podcasts, and Study Results — Share your research articles, interpretations and experiences here. Let us know how these studies affect you and your decisions.

Posted on: Nov 20, 2017 09:31PM - edited Nov 20, 2017 09:35PM by lumpie

Posted on: Nov 20, 2017 09:31PM - edited Nov 20, 2017 09:35PM by lumpie

lumpie wrote:

I watch for research news on breast cancer, treatments, etc., and frequently see interesting articles. There is a topic on BCO called "Breaking Research News from Breastcancer.org." One of the moderators suggested that another topic might be appropriate for posting links and synopses of reports on research found elsewhere. So here it is! Please post links to reports on research form reliable sources. Thanks for sharing!

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." "If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." "Buy the ticket, take the ride." Dx 2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/13/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/14/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Dx 2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right) Surgery Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast

Page 286 of 310 (3,091 results)

Oct 27, 2021 08:03PM - edited Oct 27, 2021 08:08PM by cure-ious

Here is a recent Nature paper analyzing different types of fasting (namely the nighttime calorie-restricting diet vs the fasting-mimicking diet) in terms of effects on primary and metastatic breast cancer (lung in this case) in mice- they find the nighttime fasting (13+ hours of a water-only fast every evening, as GoKale mentioned) to be the best way to fight cancer cells and improve immune response

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-26431-4

Oct 27, 2021 08:06PM cure-ious wrote:

Re ERSO, I think it was just an unfortunate press release, in that their enthusiasm they made it sound like a potential cure, but what was reported looked like just a regular "dang good in mice" kind of finding

Oct 27, 2021 08:10PM - edited Oct 27, 2021 08:33PM by cure-ious

Another Nature paper identifies a gene KDM5B as a problem for immunotherapy- this gene is already a target drug companies are working on- inhibition of KDM5B enzyme activity strongly up-regulates immune system attack on solid tumors and helps immunotherapy work

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03994-2

Related to that, Cell has an open-access review of all things Immunotherapy-related; if immunology is your thing you will appreciate the scope:

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(21)01101-6

Oct 28, 2021 08:16AM gokale4320 wrote:

Cure-ious - you don't think ErSO will work in humans? I'm willing to try it, and I am going to email the CEO of Bayer every day. I'm asking my family members to email him, too. Plus I signed and shared the change.org petition on facebook.

Dx: January 2017, IDC, Stage IIa, 1/23 nodes, <1cm Chemo 2/16/17 Cytoxan Taxotere x4 Radiation 6/8/2017, natural alternative to tamoxifen 3/2021 Stage 4 - mets to bones. Ibrance and Letrozole and Xgeva Dx 1/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 28, 2021 03:38PM elenas401 wrote:

GoKale: I think many share your enthusiasm. Dr. Shapiro from U of I said they couldnt believe what they saw, unlike anything they had seen before. More than just "dang good in mice" I saw an article that brought out that they're also testing it in larger animals. I'm glad so many are doing whatever they can to get this moved along faster. Bayer has already invested so much in this it must look promising to them. So many things don't turn out but just think about what it would mean even if it worked almost as good in people. Let's keep hopeful. HIV patients had to to get meds that are keeping them alive today.

Dx 1/2017, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel)

Oct 28, 2021 10:40PM - edited Oct 28, 2021 10:57PM by bsandra

GoKale, I absolutely agree with you - if there's a promising drug, we must push for it to be tried out on humans. I know several drugs that were amazing with mice, and yet they do not reach humans in over 5 years because of many reasons (mostly inaction of institutions, lost interests as ,,it might cost too much", etc.). I am not naive and do not say that what worked in mice might work in humans as well 100% but man, at least we have to try, as mechanism of action is known, toxicities are known (mice!), and probably the only problem that remains is delivery in larger bodies. HIV patients were pushing for their drugs very hard and what they have today is amazing (sure, you cannot compare HIV with C). You never know until you try. Saulius

Since May2021: NED. Mar2021: local axilla LN recurrence.Sep2019-Mar2021:NED. Feb2019:local recurrence in left breast,IBC. May2018-Feb2019:NED. Jun2018:DC/CIK. Aug2017:stage IV de novo at age 33. Dx 8/4/2017, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, Grade 2, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/27/2017 Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 8/28/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 8/28/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 3/12/2019 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/22/2019 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 9/8/2019 Whole breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 4/15/2021 Lymph node removal

Oct 28, 2021 11:25PM olma61 wrote:

my two cents - not that I’m a expert but — some drugs look very promising in animal studies but the researchers can’t get a drug company or other funding entity interested and the project goes nowhere

In the case of ERSO, Bayer has put lots of money behind it doesn’t that mean something? At the very least, human trials will go forward, even if the result is not positive, there will be an answer one way or another

10/30/2017 Xgeva for bone mets 5/31/2018 Taxol finished! "If one just keeps on walking, everything will be all right” - Kierkegaard Dx 8/3/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC Targeted Therapy 10/28/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 10/28/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 10/29/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 5/14/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/29/2019 External Local Metastases 5/29/2019 Radiation therapy: Bone

Oct 28, 2021 11:52PM cure-ious wrote:

GoKale, Of course it could be terrific in humans but there have been many treatments that work fabulously in mice and end up disappointing in humans (indeed we can cure cancer in mice). Mouse models of human disease are being improved but have problems recreating the mechanism of metastatic spread to various organs, and also do not recapitulate the tumor-immune system interactions that protect tumors in humans, so anyway my sense was ERSO data looked good but its in early days, and there are hella lot of drugs that fall into that category. For example, I was excited about the discovery of a universal cancer neoantigen, which should allow CAR-T to work for any cancer, but there's still no news for any clinical trials and its been two years now. Similarly, very excited about the IL19 decoy drug that in mice makes immunotherapy work amazingly on all kinds of cold tumors, they promised trials were coming but there's been no news for a couple years.

I hope you learn some insider information, and I'd be thrilled if it works- sometimes it seems these companies need people pushing them from the outside

Oct 29, 2021 10:30AM lumpie wrote:

The FDA strengthened safety standards for breast implants

The agency will require manufacturers and plastic surgeons to warn prospective patients of possible complications, The {Washington} Post's Katie Shepherd reports.

Key context: The requirements come after years of complaints from tens of thousands of women who received breast implants and later had brain fog, fatigue and other health issues, known as "breast implant illness."

Providers will now be required to walk patients through a checklist of risks. It will warn of cancer linked to the implants and patients will be required to affirm that they understand that breast implants don't last a lifetime.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/10/27/f...

{Complete article may be behind a pay wall... not sure...}

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." "If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." "Buy the ticket, take the ride." Dx 2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/13/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/14/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Dx 2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right) Surgery Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast

Oct 29, 2021 10:55AM lillyishere wrote:

Lumpie, so good to see you back. Thank you for the link. So helpful for me since I am considering the next step to remove the implants.

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2019 Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Surgery 9/1/2019 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Surgery 9/1/2019 Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right) Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/29/2019 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2019 Femara (letrozole), Aromasin (exemestane) Dx LCIS/ILC, Both breasts, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 286 of 310 (3,091 results)

Scroll to top button