Topic: How many of us took Birth Control Pills?

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After — This is a safe place to share your experiences of others considering or on hormonal treatment.

Posted on: Sep 17, 2009 07:29AM

Posted on: Sep 17, 2009 07:29AM

KorynH wrote:

This same question may be burried in the 2 thousand other posts but I haven't found it. I was diagnosed at age 44 and had been taking birth control pills for the previous 13 years. Once I was diagnosed my doctor said to stop the pill immediately....even mid cycle! I at that time had not had a period in  a year but was not testing post-menopausal according to bloodwork. Then when I decided for the first time to read the pamphlet that came in the pill pack it stated right there in black and white MAY CAUSE BREAST CANCER IN YOUNG WOMEN (pre -meno) WITH LONG TERM USE yet no doctor in 13 years ever warned me to stop it and I was there faithfully every year for my paps! I took Lo-Ovral.

I was furious! When I questioned my ob.gyn she said the pill doesn't cause breast cancer.  However, now that chemo has put me into early menopause and I seek help for the hot flashes she says, oh you can't take hormones they might cause breast cancer! I find that just crazy. So I am finding many other survivors who also took oral contraceptives for many years and later developed breast cancer. I would just be curious to see just how many on these forums were too and for how long you were on it.

The pill may not CAUSE breast cancer but what it does to our cycles, creating an estrogen dominance can cause breast cancer, so says the book What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer.

Tell your story!

KorynH -age 44 at diagnosis (2008) , IDC 1.6cm , ILC 1.6cm ,Rt. mast. 10/08, 0/6 nodes,stage 2a, gr. 3, ER+/PR+, Her2NU+++, BRCA Neg.,TCH chemo 12/08 - Herceptin completed 12/09, T.E., silicone implant exchange July 2009

Page 10 of 12 (120 results)

Nov 12, 2014 08:54AM clmtootie wrote:

Musiclover, I feel the same way.  I'm 47 and have never used BC pills for the exact same reason, "they increase your risk of developing breast cancer."  So I always said nope to BC pills!  Had my tubes tied at the age of 26 after my second child was born.  It didn't do me any good though, cause here I am. 

Dx 8/7/2014, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/9/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 10/3/2014 Surgery 12/11/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Nov 12, 2014 09:29AM MusicLover wrote:

It sucks. The medical field can make all the recommendations they like but they don't know the cause and I feel bad for those who blame themselves for this because they did this, that or the other thing.  I see so many women on BCO who feel guilty about one thing or another.  For me, my most troublesome part of this is not so much what caused it but I would like to know how many women find a lump in the breast tissue near the breast but not in the breast.  I had a tumor in my breast also but I just feel so damn unlucky with this whole thing.  I keep saying how did I have a chance?  It's just ridiculously difficult to let it go when I know I am going to die from this. Best wishes to you.

As per PET scan, 3 or 4 nodules in the right breast, 2 of which were actually in the middle of my chest, the other 2 were side by side in the breast. Also DCIS in the left breast. Dx 9/23/2013, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 1/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 10/10/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 13, 2014 01:49PM chknfeet wrote:

I took birth control pills from age 22-34. Age 36-37, I was on and off clomid and injectables. I was diagnosed with BC right after my 38th birthday. Noone can say if the pill or fertility treatments definitively cause BC, but I'm fairly certain it helped it along.

Dx 2/10/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/30/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 8/2/2014

Nov 14, 2014 04:46AM violetkali wrote:

I am Cari =) I was DX 3 weeks before my 32nd birthday, July 9th.

I always had a Non hormonal IUD. I never wanted children, and had an unwated pregnancy at 18 for which I had an abortion, so I wanted the BEST and most effective BC around. My OBGYN, who was trained in Europe and married a US solider, said that IUD's in other countries were readily given to women without children. So I have never used hormonal BC. I also eat a grassfed meat/chicken diet, mostly organic, etc. I would be considered highly healthy, with ZERO risk factors.

IDK what caused my breast cancer, other than crappy luck.

My tumor was 1.7cm, 10% of it was noted to be DCIS. No family history of cancer at all. Discontinued Chemo d/t uncontrollable side effects which caused hospitalizations, blood transfusions, and poor quality of life. I am doing well! Dx 6/19/2014, DCIS, Stage 0 Dx 6/19/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/18/2014 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Targeted Therapy 9/15/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/15/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Nov 21, 2014 04:43AM ritaz wrote:

I took low dose Birth Control pills from age 16 - 36. Supposedly, I was led to understand that taking the Pill would LOWER my risk for BC. I went off it at age 36 because hubby went to the vet. I had my first diagnoses in a routine mammogram at age 54 - yes, history of BC in the family - both my mom's sisters had BC in their 50's - not mom though - it waited a generation. Never got tested for the gene, my surgeon said that I was 'too old' for that to be a factor (???). This first BC was ER+ and I took Arimidex for 3 years, Aromasin for 2 years - about to go off it in January.

I have often wondered if taking the Pill for 20 years had any bearing in my BC. Interesting that others that had been on the Pill for so long are questioning this as well...

First Diagnosis: 11/12/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- I think my guardian angel went out for a smoke. Dx 2/18/2011, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Nov 24, 2014 07:10AM Msqueen57 wrote:

I took the lowest dose birth control pill from approximately age 22 to age 40 with time off to have and breast feed two children. Had my kids at 29 and 36. Was on the pill to treat endometriosis, so stayed on the pill even after DH had a vasectomy. My gynecologist wanted me to stay on the pill until menopause, but I went off at Age 40 because of the increased risk of stroke and heart attacks. Diagnosed with breast cancers ( different type in each breast) month before turning 57. No family history of breast cancer. Do have a immune system disorders so When the cancer came calling, my immune system was otherwise occupied. While it is interesting to play "Why I got breast cancer " the fact is we have it. Don't feel we should blame ourselves for doing this or that. There are people who do everything wrong and have every risk factor, and don't develop breast cancer.

We need to be good to ourselves. Hugs to all. 🐈

"The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places." Ernest Hemingway Dx 6/2014, ILC, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/15/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 9/12/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 1, 2014 01:55AM - edited Dec 1, 2014 01:57AM by Blessedteacher37

I agree with you, Ms. queen. I took BCpills from age 25 until age 50, with time off for two kids. My OBGYN kept me on them because of irregular periods and heavy flow. I had no problems until 56, when I was dx with IDC, early stage. I really didn't dwell on the Pill issue until my mother kept reminding me. (Which made things worse).I also know lots of people who never took anything hormonal and they have Breast cancer.it's time for the blaming ourselves to end! Supporting each other is the way to address this..everyone wins!

2 Corinthians 1: 3,4 Dx 10/5/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 10/21/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 12/12/2010 Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2011 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 3/6/2014, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 3/17/2014 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 5/5/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/28/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 8/30/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 21, 2014 11:19AM - edited Dec 21, 2014 11:20AM by Slappy-Squirrel

add me to the list. I took lo ovral (spelling?) for at least 8 years, now have IDC at 54. My mother also had breast cancer and took BC pills for years to control bleeding of fibroids. I was/am estrogen dominant too.

Oncotype score of 18 - not doing chemo. Full hysterectomy 8/4/2014 starting anastrozole 9/3/2014 Dx 4/7/2014, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 21, 2014 11:36AM PoohBear-61 wrote:

Only took Birth control pills for less than 18 months in my mid 20's......THATS IT ...no familiy history of BC  ...still diagnosed with IDC at age 46.........so I wouldn't be quick to blame the Birth control Pills.   

Treatment plan Zoladex (18 months) & Tamoxifen , Oncotype score 18, Age 46 at diagnosis Dx 12/20/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 1/18/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 4/20/2013 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy

Dec 21, 2014 12:33PM - edited Dec 21, 2014 12:34PM by mortmain

I guess it's natural to wonder why, and I too question my birth control use. Started at age fifteen, and with a break for two kids, I was on it until I began to hear about a possible health risks around eighteen years later. Later went on HRT when menopause started. No other bc risk.

I would like to know the latest research thinking on a link.

Dx 6/16/2014, DCIS/IDC, Right, <1cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/17/2014 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 8/20/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 2/2/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2016 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 3/2/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Silicone implant Surgery 8/10/2018 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 1/22/2020 Reconstruction (right)

Page 10 of 12 (120 results)

Scroll to top button