We are 212,142 members in 82 forums discussing 151,797 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After —

Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications. Note: Please remember that there are good experiences and bad with ALL treatments and this is a safe place to share YOUR experience, not to be influenced or influence others.

Posted on: Jul 10, 2012 06:46AM - edited Nov 15, 2017 01:07PM by Moderators

nancyjac wrote:

I found a couple of older threads about Arimidex, but they covered a large time span with a gazillion posts, so I thought I would start a new thread for Arimidex/Anastrozole users.

I am starting on Anastrozole today. Plan is to take it for 5 years, possibly longer. I already have osteopenia and osteoarthritis (limited to one knee at this point), so I am most concerned about the bone and joint side effects. I'm already frustrated by finally having some energy and stamina back after chemo and radiation, but now I have trouble exercising due to the bum knee. I'm concerned about that getting to be even more of a problem on the Anastrozole.

Please share you experiences, side effects, questions etc. about Armidex/Anastrozole here.

Edited by Mods to add content from the main Breastcancer.org site on Arimidex: Benefits, Side Effects and More

Dx 11/2011, IBC, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 12/7/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/7/2011 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/10/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/17/2012 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 4/19/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/29/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes, Bone Hormonal Therapy 7/10/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 508 of 520 (15,576 results)

Posts 15211 - 15240 (15,576 total)

May 25, 2018 07:35PM Orillia wrote:

Hi , I am also starting Anastrozole tomorrow , and was told to take it in the morning ??? Anyway , I had been taking letrozole for about eight months last year and started feeling dizzy and passed out for the first time in my life (scary ) around thanksgiving and had to discontinue even though I really did hate to stop the med. I now have a generator ( pacemaker ) , and now months later will start anastrozole. I was dreading it , but decided to put my big girl panties on . I think the thing to always remember is that you can and will have the choice , to take it or not . When you believe that you do have the choice , it gives you back some power over your own life, when you feel so powerless sometimes. Good luck , and will be thinking of you and everyone else. Hang tough!

molly

May 25, 2018 09:47PM CindyNY wrote:

Orillia - you can take the Anestrozole at what time works best for you. My MO nurse recommended I take it after dinner because I'd have food in my stomach, as it some times causes nausea. But my dinner isn't at any set time, so I've chosen 12:30 AM which is near my bedtime. That way I'm pretty consistent with when I take it. It works for me. Best of luck to you for minimal SE!

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

May 26, 2018 06:24PM wallan wrote:

I started talking my Arimidex after supper when I have a full stomach a few days ago. It has been the best time so far. When I took it in the morning, I did so on an empty stomach. I was getting headaches, vertigo and hot flushes/panicky feelings and sometimes nausea for 2-3 hours later. If I take it a bedtime, I can't sleep. I fall asleep, but wake up 2 or so hours later and that is it I am up. Plus, I got headaches, rashes, dizziness.

When I take it after supper, it seems my side effects are minimal. No headache, mild hot flashes if any, and I can sleep. No nausea. So, maybe this is the best time. I hope my experience continues!

wallan

Dx 3/29/2004, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/31/2004 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 6/1/2004 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 12/1/2004 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Dx 1/25/2017, LCIS/DCIS/ILC/IDC/IDC: Mucinous/IDC: Cribriform, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/8/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

May 26, 2018 11:08PM DenvMom wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have been on Anastrozole since June 2016.  From reading lots of info on this site when I started the Anastrozole I also took vitamins minerals people suggested.  Just to show you they prevent problems with this med I will tell you a short story.  I got stomach virus so I quit taking the vitamins and minerals.  Got the virus on Tuesday and by Saturday my hands felt like the tendons and muscles were in fire.  I started back on the vitamins and minerals on Sunday by Tuesday my hands were better but it took two weeks to totally feel normal again.    I purchase my vitamins and minerals at the grocery store and Sam's Club and when grocery store has a buy one get one free I buy a years worth. 

Here is what I take per day, these are only one pill each:  Magnesium 400 mg.  Potassium Gluconate 550 mg. Calcium 600mg with Vitamine D 800iu (Sam's Club Brand)  Glucosamine 1500 mg. with Chondroitin 1200 mg (also Sam's Club Brand).  These are the items I take and I have had no joint pain.   

I have never had headaches, but I do get hot flashes but not too often maybe 5-6 times a month no upset stomach, no rashes.   I sleep fine in fact too fine.  I do get tired that is my biggest complaint.  But I am in my late 60's and I just wonder if it is my age I get tired not sure.

Anyway, I can tell you my sisters friend had breast cancer Lobular like mine but next to her breast bone.  She survived 17 years and her husband an Oncologist told her he thought she lived so long because of Tamoxifen and Anastrozole.  She had tons of chemo and radiation but he thought the two drugs Tamoxifen and Anastrozole kept her alive.  Look we are all dying, cancer or not I just enjoy everyday and I am happy every day.  I just hope this information helps someone.  

Dx 7/9/2015, DCIS/ILC, Left, 1cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC)

May 27, 2018 12:07AM Nancy618 wrote:

I have been on Femara, Arimidex and Aromasin. Of all of these, I have the fewest side effects on Femara, which I'm back on again. I had the worst side effects on Arimidex, basically the most pain. All of them have had side effects, the worst being sleep disruption. I wake up all jittery and am wide awake for hours. The lack of sleep causes more issues. The cycle is real... I know I need to exercise but I hurt too much to exercise. I'm getting really close to giving up on any of them. I have a 9% chance of recurrence. At this point in my life, I turn 67 in 3 weeks, quality of life is more important than quantity.

Essential oils can be wonderful if used correctly. Robert Tisserand is an expert. His website is a wealth of information. And Edens Garden oils are the best. Their website also has tons of information. I use a 2% dilution of hemp seed oil and Copaiba in magnesium lotion for my hip pain and it helps at night.

Oncotype 14 Philippians 4:13 Supplements: 500mg calcium, 500mg magnesium, 3000IU Vit D3, , 800mg Turmeric, Multi-Vitamin, Femdophlius, Align Dx 3/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/30/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 4/16/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 5/5/2017 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/24/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/20/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/25/2017 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 4/24/2018 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 9/20/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

May 27, 2018 07:05AM Nyr4evr wrote:

I have been on anastrazole for three weeks. After two days I felt nauseated. Called doctor she said continue. It is just nerves from reading too much on the internet. Well guess what I did and am fine now. No aches,nausea or sweats. I sleep in cool room. No sweats Go walking 1/2 hour everyday to keep muscles in shape. I need these meds so I have made up my mind to work with it. I don’t want to yo-yo pills now. My personality is that would be the case

May 27, 2018 07:06AM - edited May 27, 2018 07:07AM by Nyr4evr

This Post was deleted by Nyr4evr.

May 27, 2018 07:19AM Nancy618 wrote:

Nvr4evr I'm glad you've been able to power through. My side effects didn't really show up for a month and got increasingly worse. It was my MO who suggested cycling through the choices until I found one that I could tolerate. Wish I could say I have.

Just woke up after a decent sleep, which means for me, 6 hours without any long period of wakefulness. However, I now remember another side effect that has become bothersome. Dryness. My eyes are so dry, even after using a nighttime gel, that it affects my eyesight. I'm dry everywhere. Using vaginal suppositories has helped only slightly. Now dealing with dry, flaky itchy ears.

I really don't want to sound like Debbie Downer, but I am frustrated and want the old me back again. It is a struggle.

Oncotype 14 Philippians 4:13 Supplements: 500mg calcium, 500mg magnesium, 3000IU Vit D3, , 800mg Turmeric, Multi-Vitamin, Femdophlius, Align Dx 3/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/30/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 4/16/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 5/5/2017 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/24/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/20/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/25/2017 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 4/24/2018 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 9/20/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

May 27, 2018 09:44PM Nancy618 wrote:

I haven't tried Tamoxifen. My MO suggested it but warned me that there is a higher incidence of uterine cancer with it. I don't want to exchange one cancer for another. I told him I'd give Femara a try again and when I see him in August we'll talk.

I need to look up the SEs for Tamoxifen. That will help me make up my mind if I'll try it or just quit altogether.

May 28, 2018 07:54AM lala1 wrote:

As to Tamoxifen and uterine cancer, at my diagnosis my BS wrote down all the treatment options, meds, SEs and percentages of SEs with each med. He told me that Tamoxifen can cause uterine cancer but that the risk for the average woman is 1% and Tamoxifen takes it to 2%. That is actually double the risk of the normal person but the risk is so low to begin with, I was willing to risk it. And you can ask your doctor for a baseline transvaginal ultrasound and then get monitored regularly. If you show any changes, you can go off Tamoxifen or possibly even consider a hysterectomy. I did have changes and opted for the hysterectomy which in hindsight I'm so glad I did. I like not having to worry about ovarian, endometrial, cervical, etc cancers since women who've had BC are more susceptible to those anyway, Tamoxifen or not. Just like we are more susceptible to colon cancer. So before you completely write off Tamoxifen, talk with you doctor. You may find that it's easier on your body than the AIs and with just some careful monitoring you do ok. My BS encouraged me to stay on Tamoxifen even after the hysterectomy. He felt that, for me, the AIs would be too brutal on my body. He also doesn't like that AIs can mess with your cholesterol levels which could lead to heart disease. And he does like that Tamoxifen strengthens bones. So I guess it's just a matter of weighing SEs!

Mentor smooth round high profile memory gel implants 600cc (Left); Allergan 10 Moderate Profile 120cc (Right) ; Oncotype 15 Dx 11/27/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/13/2012 Mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2013 Surgery 3/26/2013 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Surgery 6/25/2014 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction Surgery 1/20/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal

May 28, 2018 07:56AM Nancy618 wrote:

Oh boy! Easy to cure! But who wants to get it in the first place? Who wants more surgery?

May 29, 2018 05:58AM grandma3X wrote:

Statistics are confusing! the way I read it is that the 1% benefit in survival is only telling me that the AI does not adversely affect my survival - that is, I'm not more likely to die if I take an AI. The true benefit, of course, is that it prevents a recurrence of cancer. That benefit is shown to be much higher than 1%.

Oncotype score 10. Married 35 years, 2 kids, 3 grands. Marine biologist/biochemist. No BC in my family tree. First diagnosed with multi focal ILC with 2 small tumors seen on MRI. Final pathology showed 1 large tumor measuring 5 cm! Dx 1/13/2016, ILC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/13/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 5/17/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 10/26/2016 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 10/11/2017 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Surgery 10/11/2017 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

May 29, 2018 07:36AM Prdanib wrote:

Hello, I was on Femara, but had to go off it due to excruciating joint pain. Now I'm on Aromasin, which is even worse! Dr. said there are six out there, so we'll find one that works for me. He also told me that hormone blockers are more effective in helping prevent recurrence than chemo. Are there any natural hormone blockers?

Dx 1/4/2017, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/9/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

May 29, 2018 07:49AM dtad wrote:

Prdanib...there is a thread entitled reducing estrogen naturally. I refused anti hormones from the start and have done several things to lower my estrogen naturally. Please feel free to check it out. We all have to make our own informed treatment decisions Good luck to all.

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

May 29, 2018 09:14PM Nancy618 wrote:

Grabsna3x, that's not the way I read the Predict nor what my MO told me. In fact, they give you how many women out of 100 are still alive after 5 and 10 years with and without the AIs. For me, it's a negligible difference. Mine are the same as HapB.

HapB I'm where you are. Told my MO I'd give it one last try. He is perfectly OK with me not taking the AIs. I don't want to spend the next 4 years feeling like I have this past year.

Prdanib. I was told 4. I'd love to know what the other 2 are. Arimidex was the worst for me for pain. I was sent to PT because my pain was so bad. It helped a little, but when I stopped it, the pain lessened A LOT. Aromasin was a little better. I have to say this second try at Femara I have the least pain, but I'm also doing yoga and taking turmeric and magnesium, which I didn't the first time.

I'm going to have to check out that thread about reducing estrogen naturally. I wish there was a search feature for these forums. I am trying to find a recommendation for eye drops. My eyes are so dry. The nighttime gel I'm using isn't working anymore. I have double vision in one eye for about half the day.

May 29, 2018 09:28PM Nancy618 wrote:

I just found this on another thread regarding dry eyes, floaters, and other issues with AIs. I've been having a terrible time with my eyes lately and it indeed may be the straw that breaks the camels back. I have a pre-existing retina condition called macular puckering in one eye. The other eye has been compensating for it...until I started taking the AIs.

Here's the excerpt:

A study by Dr. Eisner and colleagues suggests that anastrozole can cause small retinal hemorrhages in some patients.4 He said that his research indicates that breast cancer patients who take anastrozole are more likely to have retinal hemorrhages than tamoxifen users. These hemorrhages may be the result of excessive traction on the retina, caused by estrogen depletion.5 Related effects, such as posterior vitreous detachments, may occur during the natural menopausal transition, he said. Dr. Eisner noted that it's possible to assess the tractional effects of AIs through the use of OCT. Other possible effects of AIs include photopsia and increased incidence of floaters, as well as dry eye.

Dr. Eisner pointed to the need for more studies of the effects of AIs, particularly longitudinal studies to better document and help clarify their ocular effects.

"As many as 40 percent of women completely abandon their use of AIs before the prescribed time because they can't tolerate the side effects. Although the ocular side effects may be less important or less compelling than well-known side effects such as arthralgia or hot flashes, they nevertheless may provide the straw that breaks the camel's back for breast cancer patients on these drugs," said Dr. Eisner.

May 29, 2018 09:38PM Nancy618 wrote:

HapB, that is the question that a nurse friend of mine posed. How does insurance (in my case Medicare) approve use of a drug that has so little efficacy (in my opinion). Big pharma is powerful.

May 30, 2018 07:24AM dtad wrote:

Hi everyone...I know this is not popular but I have always said we need better treatment options! IMO a drug that only 60 percent of us can tolerate is not an effective treatment! We can and should do better!

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

May 30, 2018 07:48AM JoyceA wrote:

Does the percentage of estrogen positive make a difference? My tumor was 96% for estrogen and 95% for progesterone. The predict2 doesn’t ask for that information.

Dx 2/20/2018, DCIS/ILC, Both breasts, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 3/3/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 3/14/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Right; Mastectomy: Left, Right

May 30, 2018 08:06AM bella2013 wrote:

JoyceA, it’s my understanding that those numbers do make a difference. My Er+/Pr+ numbers are similar to yours. I believe it makes a difference in the effectiveness of AI’s. Because the cancer is so receptive to estrogen, starving it of estrogen lessens our chance of recurrence.

This could be incorrect information...anyone else have an explanation? Please chime in

Diagnosed at 60 years old. Oncotype Score=14. Dx 12/4/2017, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/4/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 2/22/2018 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

May 31, 2018 11:51PM Nancy618 wrote:

I don't know that the percentage would make a difference. I would think if it did, it would be factored into the Predict calculation.

Jun 1, 2018 12:03AM - edited Jun 1, 2018 12:06AM by Nancy618

Cancer Mortality:5% expected 15-year Cancer Death Rate.
5.7% 15-year Kaplan-Meier cancer death rateLife Expectancy:
Without therapy, this cancer shortens the life expectancy of a 66-year-old woman by 1.1 years. (from 19.1 years to 18 yearsTherapy benefit:
The therapy selected would improve average life expectancy by 0.3 years, or
123 days over expectancy without therapy.
32% fewer cancer deaths after 15 years

http://www.lifemath.net/cancer/breastcancer/therapy/

This is from another predictor website. So by going through aches and pains and diminished quality of life, I get 123 more days added to my life expectancy.

Jun 1, 2018 08:50AM - edited Jun 1, 2018 08:53AM by bareclaws

Has anyone read studies or have info about what happens to bone health once we are done with AI's? I am concerned about the rebound effect of bisphosphonates and Prolia. It seems that those drugs thwart a normal process (cleaning out of dead bone) that quickly returns to normal when bisphosphonates (or Prolia) are discontinued. So that weakens the bone and the patient has an increased risk of fracture. But if the bone returns to its normal strength afterward—see where I'm going with this?

Jun 1, 2018 02:46PM bareclaws wrote:

Right. I’ve followed the party line on everything til now. Including taking Nerlynx. The bone strengthening drugs are my line in the sand. Normal Dexa, normal Vit D, good diet, lots of weight-bearing exercise. I’m telling my MO that we can revisit this in six months but for now, no.

Jun 2, 2018 10:25PM Nancy618 wrote:

HapB with your results I'd be more likely to attempt to tolerate the AI side effects.

Jun 3, 2018 06:45AM dtad wrote:

HapB...IMO it is outrageous! Honestly if you can tolerate anti hormone therapy its a no brainer to take it. The problem lies in those who cannot tolerate them. Is it really worth it if it affects your QOL drastically? We are the only ones that can make that decision. I support and respect all personal decisions made. Good luck to all.

HapB...may I ask you to make your stats public. Your posts are very informative but we could answer your questions more accurately if we knew your stats. Thanks!

Jun 3, 2018 11:16AM PontiacPeggy wrote:

HapB, what dtad meant is that they don't show up after every post you make. Posting them once in a message helps for that post but not others. You'll notice that most of us have our information show up. You may have entered the information on your profile but you have to go to SETTINGS and make each and every single item PUBLIC in order for it to show up in your signature. Hope this helps.

HUGS!

Peggy. Diagnosed age 68., Oncotype 13. Everything is doable - not easy, but doable. Dx 6/5/2014, IDC, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/23/2014, DCIS, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1 Surgery 7/23/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 9/2/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/17/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jun 3, 2018 12:00PM PontiacPeggy wrote:

HapB, the settings part of BCO is the most confusing part. I'm sure it could have been made more complicated but I don't know how :)

HUGS!

Peggy. Diagnosed age 68., Oncotype 13. Everything is doable - not easy, but doable. Dx 6/5/2014, IDC, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/23/2014, DCIS, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1 Surgery 7/23/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 9/2/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/17/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jun 3, 2018 09:58PM Nancy618 wrote:

I have to tell you HapB that I had the worst pain on Anastrozole. I've had the least on Femara/letrozole. Have you tried other AIs?

Jun 5, 2018 08:45AM Nancy618 wrote:

HapB have you tried a topical CBD cream? I bought the liquid you put under the tongue and it made me hyper. I put it in an unscented lotion and it's not only taken the pain away, I'm sleeping better than I have in months.

Page 508 of 520 (15,576 results)