We are 204,761 members in 81 forums discussing 148,355 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Topic: For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After —

Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications. Note: Please remember that there are good experiences and bad with ALL treatments and this is a safe place to share YOUR experience, not to be influenced or influence others.

Posted on: Jul 10, 2012 07:46AM - edited Nov 15, 2017 02:07PM by Moderators

nancyjac wrote:

I found a couple of older threads about Arimidex, but they covered a large time span with a gazillion posts, so I thought I would start a new thread for Arimidex/Anastrozole users.

I am starting on Anastrozole today. Plan is to take it for 5 years, possibly longer. I already have osteopenia and osteoarthritis (limited to one knee at this point), so I am most concerned about the bone and joint side effects. I'm already frustrated by finally having some energy and stamina back after chemo and radiation, but now I have trouble exercising due to the bum knee. I'm concerned about that getting to be even more of a problem on the Anastrozole.

Please share you experiences, side effects, questions etc. about Armidex/Anastrozole here.

Edited by Mods to add content from the main Breastcancer.org site on Arimidex: Benefits, Side Effects and More

Dx 11/2011, IBC, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 12/7/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/7/2011 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/10/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/17/2012 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 4/19/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/29/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes, Bone Hormonal Therapy 7/10/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 508 of 509 (15,242 results)

Posts 15211 - 15240 (15,242 total)

Apr 16, 2018 10:37AM Ellyn27 wrote:

Hi Ladies - I'm new to this particular thread. I found it because I was looking for info on blood clots due to anastrazole. I started taking it Jan, 2018 and the only real SE I have is hot flashes. I never had them during menopause (my Mom never did either) and now I get them ... bad too. Anyway, I've had this slight pain in the back of my knee for a few weeks now (inner side). It's not real painful, it's more like a knot. I never had a blood clot so don't know what one feels like. Doing some research it seems like it would be a serious pain that doesn't go away. Mine is a slight annoyance that comes and goes, but there most of the time. Just wondering if anyone here has had a blood clot from the meds. I'm not scheduled to see my MO until August. Thanks.

Dx 8/15/2017, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, ER+/PR+ Surgery 10/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left

Apr 16, 2018 10:54AM Spookiesmom wrote:

I’ve had clots in my leg, waaay before cancer. They didn’t hurt all the time, more like twinges. Had them in my lungs too.

DONT wait to see MO, get to PCP Urgent Care or ER ASAP. They are not something to ignore.

I spent 3 days in hospital and was very lucky to walk out.

Dx IDC, Stage IIIA, Grade 3

Apr 17, 2018 05:20AM vampeyes wrote:

Hey All,

Some of us girls on the Tamoxifen thread have been working on a survey for curiosity's sake. Started out mainly to see where everyone was at with side effects. There will be no emails collected, no names, all anonymous. If you have any thoughts on adding to the questionnaire send me a message and I can add it. So far 9 people have responded and once you are done you will be able to view the results. :) Thanks in advance.

Cheryl

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeagf3khiNG6Ww-xC8i_wr_SrJm9mgpByR1TqmvcaQdmyZtiA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Dx 9/20/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/18/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 11/15/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 1/29/2019 Whole-breast: Breast

Apr 17, 2018 09:11PM CeliaC wrote:

coachvicky - Totally with you on the 5 years and that's it!

Dx 12/2/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/21/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/5/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 20, 2018 04:12PM - edited Apr 20, 2018 04:16PM by jlmg

I was wondering if anyone developed a rash from taking Arimidex (generic). I had a DM in April, 2011 with reconstruction. I took Femara for 3 years, then Aromazin for 2 years, tried Tamoxifen, and then Evista for the last 2 years. The side effects finally did me in, and I stopped Evisita in November, 2017. I just started Arimidex on April 9, 2018, and I developed a rash 4 days in. It started on my legs and moved up to my face today, but it did not spread to my torso. I stopped taking the pill on Sunday, the 15th. The PA told me to use Aveeno and Benedryl. I just wandered if anyone else had a traveling rash. I've had MRSA after multiple surgeries, and I think I should get a blood test to rule that out.

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2018 08:27PM wallan wrote:

Hi jlmg:

I had a rash. Same kind as you describe and itchy. It finally receded after about 6 months. I was told to take Benadryl and moisture too.

This drug can do weird things to us.

wallan

Dx 3/29/2004, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/31/2004 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 6/1/2004 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 12/1/2004 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Dx 1/25/2017, LCIS/DCIS/ILC/IDC/IDC: Mucinous/IDC: Cribriform, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/8/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Apr 20, 2018 10:24PM Snickersmom wrote:

I have been on Arimidex for almost exactly one year. I really haven't had any bothersome side effects. I am on 1mg daily. As far as I know, that's the standard dosage but I don't know why. I'm thinking it has something to do with my estrogen and progesterone levels, which were very high.

I had my eyebrows microbladed about 1-1/2 years ago and was much happier with the regular semi-permanent tattooing. The microblading has not lasted as long and was much more painful and expensive. So when I need it done again, I'll go back to the semi-permanent tattooing.

Dx 3/22/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/2/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 6/11/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 22, 2018 07:03AM Suzanne50 wrote:

Hi all - I saw my MO a few weeks back and she put me on Effexor to help with the night sweats and hot flashes. It seems to be working. I really don't get any hot flashes during day anymore and the night I am down to maybe one compared to the six-eight I had been. So that is an improvement. I am not as energetic as I used to be - don't know if that is due to meds, menopause, age or all three. I exercise every day which helps. I guess I just have to get used to it. I am under the impression that my doctor wants me to be on this drug for 8 more years. I would love to be done after 5! I am 3 years out from diagnosis.

Dx 5/27/2015, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 3/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/18/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 7/1/2015 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 8/3/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 11/4/2015 Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Apr 22, 2018 07:34AM coachvicky wrote:

Suzanne50

Ask you MO to do a full thyroid profile (T3, T4, and TSH). Demand all three and don't let your MO say the TSH will tell enough; it doesn't. Also ask to test your iron levels. I am thankful my Primary Care (PC) watched my thyroid. My first MO wanted to "wait" until chemo was over and see if my labs settled out. My PC's approach was correct and made an adjustment in my thyroid meds thus stopping the wait gain and eliminating some fatigue (not all fatigue as I had four months of chemo remaining at that time).

I had the discussion with my new MO a couple of weeks ago about an additional 5 years. He said there was no convincing evidence / research that an additional 5 years of Arimidex was beneficial. I realize some MOs go for the additional time. Mine does not and I won't. My Mammaprint gives me 94.6% opportunity for no recurrence if I finish chemo and 5 years of a blocker. Even if I got an extra 1 - 2 percent, I would not stay of Arimidex any additional time.

Coach Vicky

Dx 6/2016, DCIS/IDC, Both breasts, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 6/7/2016, LCIS/DCIS/IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 7/11/2016 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 8/21/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 8/22/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 1/20/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 2/22/2017 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/4/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery Targeted Therapy

Apr 22, 2018 08:02AM Ingerp wrote:

Hey vicky! This is not really my thread <yet anyway>, but thought I'd pop in to check it out. I'm several months away from going on *any* AI but in my initial sit-down with my MO, when it came to the AI part of the treatment plan and she said five years, I looked her in the eye and say, "Not 10?" She said definitely not 10. And honestly I'm keeping my fingers crossed that during that initial five years there will be <more?> research confirming that five years is enough.

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/23/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/20/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/18/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/13/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/16/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/16/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Apr 22, 2018 08:56AM lala1 wrote:

coachvicky--Just out of curiousity, is the mammaprint test only to determine if women need chemo? I'm wondering if there is another test out there, other than the BCI, that gives you your recurrence risk for years 5-10 that I could do. My BCI was high risk/low benefit and I'd like to do another test that might give me more peace of mind.

Mentor smooth round high profile memory gel implants 600cc (Left); Allergan 10 Moderate Profile 120cc (Right) ; Oncotype 15 Dx 11/27/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/13/2012 Mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2013 Surgery 3/26/2013 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Surgery 6/25/2014 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction Surgery 1/20/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal

Apr 22, 2018 09:17AM - edited Apr 22, 2018 11:55AM by coachvicky

lala1 ...I will have the BCI at the five year mark. Yes, the Mammaprint tells if chemo will work. I had mine & the Blueprint after I started chemo. I wanted to know what my luminal sub-grouping was. And, I just didn't trust my treatment plan. I,too, wanted peace of mind.

Ingerp ... There is also a forum for "doing well on Arimidex" or something like that. It is very encouraging in that not everyone has horrid side effects. My hope is that in five years every cancer center will close.

Coach Vicky

Dx 6/2016, DCIS/IDC, Both breasts, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 6/7/2016, LCIS/DCIS/IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 7/11/2016 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 8/21/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 8/22/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 1/20/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 2/22/2017 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/4/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery Targeted Therapy

Apr 22, 2018 09:56AM smwusaf wrote:

I agree about the thryroid testing. I've never had thyroid issues before and now all of a sudden it is low so now I'm taking thryroid meds. I'm so thankful that my dr did that blood work, I wouldn't have even thought to ask. :)

Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 1/4/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/20/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 22, 2018 10:09AM Peregrinelady wrote:

I agree that the BCI should be taken at 5 years. Mine came back high risk, high benefit so I will go at least 7 years. Regarding thyroid tests, my PCP said NO when I asked for one at my wellness check. He said I had to have symptoms. I am so tired of PCP’s that no nothing about cancer. I guess that I will have to find another dr. to order it.
Dx 4/24/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2015 Liquid tamoxifen (Soltamox) Surgery 4/18/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 22, 2018 10:42AM HapB wrote:

Coachvicki, if the predictor,only gave you a 1% difference with the AI in the first place, would you have done it? That is the case for me and others who had stage 1a tumors.

Apr 22, 2018 11:49AM Peregrinelady wrote:

HapB, is 1% benefit what your oncologist told you? Everything I have read and learned is that AI’s cut your risk of recurrence in half. (If they work on your particular cancer.)
Dx 4/24/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2015 Liquid tamoxifen (Soltamox) Surgery 4/18/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 22, 2018 11:56AM HapB wrote:

peregrinelady, that is the estimated benefit according to the calculators. It varies by age, size and characteristics of tumor.

Apr 22, 2018 12:10PM - edited Apr 22, 2018 06:33PM by coachvicky

Peregrinelady I would not stay with a doctor who would not test what I wanted. Being tired is a symptom of a thyroidthat's not working. Hap, Probaby not for 1%
Coach Vicky

Apr 22, 2018 12:20PM Peregrinelady wrote:

That is my point. I don’t think a calculator is specific to your cancer. Yes, stage 1a is less likely to recur, but not impossible. I would listen to what your oncologist has to say over a calculator. Just my opinion, everyone has to make their own decisions.

Apr 22, 2018 12:23PM Peregrinelady wrote:

Coach Vicky, I agree, but I am having a heck of a time finding a PCP that has a clue about cancer in my small town. I do have a good gynecologist though, so I will ask her to test my thyroid.

Apr 22, 2018 01:23PM HapB wrote:

peregrinelady, so, if the 5 yrs. of AI only made a difference to 1% of patients in retrospective studies, you would go for it anyway? My MO uses the data.

Apr 22, 2018 02:38PM Nancy618 wrote:

http://www.lifemath.net/cancer/breastcancer/therap...

I used the site at this link to put in my stats and I come out at 1% increase in survival rate. My MO pointed out that this is survival, not a recurrence in cancer.

I will probably be leaving this group....I saw my MO who is willing to work with me on what is best for me, including stopping all AIs if that's what I want. I took letrozole for about 3 weeks before I bailed because I wasn't sleeping and was an emotional mess. I took anastrozole for 6 months until I couldn't take the constant pain. Was on aromasin for 4 months. The pain wasn't quite as bad, but the dryness and fatigue, lack of desire to do anything, and cost drove me to ask the MO for advice.

Between the two of us, we decided I'd try the letrozole again. He says he sees the fewest side effects on it and always suggests it first. I only gave it 3 weeks and the problems I had may have just been do to being totally new to me. I had some sleep issues on the other AIs and am now taking hydroxyzine at bedtime, which really helps.

I know exercise is going to help...I just have to talk myself into it. When you're already feeling exhausted and achy, it's not something you want to do. I'm about to go take a walk. I think Spring has finally arrived!

Oncotype 14 Philippians 4:13 Currently Reading: The Great Alone Supplements: 500mg calcium, 500mg magnesium, 3000IU Vit D3, 500mg Taurine, 800mg Turmeric, Multi-Vitamin Dx 3/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/30/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 4/16/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 5/5/2017 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/24/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/20/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/25/2017 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 4/24/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 22, 2018 02:54PM HapB wrote:

Nancy, I am going through the same decision making process. By any chance did your MO suggest trying Tamoxifen? I have to be able to function fully. When I can't even open a jar, maintain my home, and work , life is not worth living for me. I don’t have anyone to help me.

Apr 22, 2018 04:25PM Nancy618 wrote:

I forgot to mention, HapB, that he did suggest Tamoxifen, since it's the only one that I haven't tried. But the increased incidence of uterine cancer bothers me. He said it has less drying effects and actually lowers cholesterol, so there are positives. I asked if he ever goes back and tries an AI already tried and he said sure. That's how we came up with trying Femara/letrozole again.

I can totally see how living alone would affect ones decision on taking the AIs. I notice I have LOTS more trouble opening jars than I ever had. If you have nobody to help you, it makes it way worse. Hard decisions to make. I'm all for quality of life vs quantity. After all, none of us are getting out alive. I'd rather enjoy the time I have .

Incidentally, I stopped the Aromasin last Tuesday. Since then, my pain has subsided A LOT...virtually non-existent during the day. Now, during this time period, I also started 800mg Turmeric and 500mh Taurine (which I forgot to tell my MO). So, what the lessening of pain is actually due to, I'm not sure. I also took a very short walk because my strength and stamina isn't there, and my hips, etc feel great. I am vowing to walk every day, even if it is less than a mile.

Oncotype 14 Philippians 4:13 Currently Reading: The Great Alone Supplements: 500mg calcium, 500mg magnesium, 3000IU Vit D3, 500mg Taurine, 800mg Turmeric, Multi-Vitamin Dx 3/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/30/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 4/16/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 5/5/2017 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/24/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/20/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/25/2017 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 4/24/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 22, 2018 06:45PM coachvicky wrote:

Peregrinela…look into MD VIP to see if one is close

Coach Vicky

Apr 23, 2018 01:31AM Peregrinelady wrote:

Thanks, Vicky, I tried it but the closet is 3 hours away. It looks like a great resource, though, for people in larger towns.

Apr 23, 2018 01:38AM - edited Apr 23, 2018 01:38AM by Peregrinelady

This Post was deleted by Peregrinelady.

Apr 23, 2018 10:18AM Doofuscat wrote:

HapB what was the 1% based on, Oncotype Dx? I have the same stats as you. However, I was read the riot act by the MO at the Mayo Clinic that the 1% was based on taking AI's for 5 years or 2 years of Tam followed by 3 of AI's. So far I have been on a every other day dose of anastrozole and I am hating it. No sleep and I hurt everywhere. Not sure what to do. I am making an appointment with my local MO to discuss options.

Dx 12/14/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 2/22/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Apr 23, 2018 10:28AM HapB wrote:

Doofuscat and Peregrinelady, my tumor was 1a, no nodes, I am almost 67 and the number is based on Predict2. So, without any treatment at all post surgery and rads, the stats show that 90% of 66 yr. old women with tumors like mine are alive at 5 yrs. and about 80% at 10 yrs. Hormonal therapy adds 1%.

So, adding all these treatments are no guarantee and they have very serious side effects for me. I am still getting Herceptin and having heart issues. It is mind boggling.

Just taking one day at a time right now.

Apr 23, 2018 10:24PM Nancy618 wrote:

If you plug in all your numbers in the calculators on this site, you can see your results for survival. Mine too only goes up by 1% for I'm really thinking all the side effects are not worth it. I told the MO I would use the letrozole until I see him in another 4 months and then we'll talk about it again.

http://www.lifemath.net/cancer/breastcancer/therapy/index.php

Page 508 of 509 (15,242 results)