Topic: Bone Mets Thread

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer ONLY. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets.

Posted on: Jun 22, 2012 03:09AM - edited Oct 28, 2021 02:22PM by moderators

Posted on: Jun 22, 2012 03:09AM - edited Oct 28, 2021 02:22PM by moderators

Jac53 wrote:

I've started this thread after suggestions that it would be useful.

Mod Note: We have removed the original link as it is no longer viable. At one of our member's' recommendation we are offering this link as a resource for you.

https://youtu.be/YpFfLrITfEI

Jeannie. "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." Dx 6/19/1995, 10/15 nodes Dx 2/18/2011, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2/2012, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 2702 of 2,731 (27,307 results)

May 30, 2022 06:45PM kkcita wrote:

Hi everyone,

Last week, I had 5 days of radiation to my L2 and L5/S1 vertebrae to try to knock out some back pain, and these were two active areas left after a mostly quiet PET scan. I’ve had a lot of pain in my spine and radiating down my legs, that seems to be improving. I’m also nauseous and have diarrhea. I’m on day 2 post-radiation, and still nauseous and tired and diarrhea. I thought this would be so ea because before, when I did whole breast radiation, that was 33 days and I don’t remember feeling this bad ever! Does this sounds normal ? I really feel like a cancer patient now.

oncotype 19. initial dx at age 39, 6 weeks after 2nd child was born. mets dx at age 43. Dx 3/28/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/8/2016 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 6/16/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 9/28/2016 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 11/30/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 11/27/2017 Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant Dx 2/19/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 3/2/2020 Femara (letrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Targeted Therapy 3/2/2020 Kisqali Local Metastases Radiation therapy: Bone

May 30, 2022 08:37PM sondraf wrote:

The D and nausea are par for the course for an L5/S1 area but should subside in a few days. My worst day was I think day 4 of the radiation but I remember at least a week after I had bouts here and there and definitely nausea. They are radiating near the digestive system so will get some scatter. Take immodium as needed and call in for anti-nausea pills if its really bad.

As for pain down the legs, etc same thing applies although that will also resolve over time. The radiation will continue to work for weeks afterwards so everything is a bit irritated right now. Its highly targeted radiation in a high dose, unlike whole breast which is spread over a wider range of tissue.

"The closer we come to the negative, to death, the more we blossom" - Montgomery Clift Dx 9/27/2019, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/28/2019 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 11/28/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery 11/28/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right) Targeted Therapy 3/1/2022 Lynparza (olaparib)

May 31, 2022 04:07PM rk2020 wrote:

kkcita - I handled 33 rounds of whole breast with zero complaints. Then I had one large dose on a femur lesion. Again no problem. Then I had them zap my thoracic spine. Thats when the SE started to hit me. I had temporary pain down my legs and pelvic area, esophogitis and mild fatigue. The next time I had radiation, my fatigue was severe and lasted about a month. I don’t see myself getting any more radiation. I think my body has had enough. I hope your side effects resolve quickly.

Surgery 5/1/2016 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Chemotherapy 6/20/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 9/1/2016 Whole breast: Right breast Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 3/10/2020 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 3/28/2020 Ibrance (palbociclib) Radiation Therapy 2/22/2021 Other part Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 9/1/2021 Verzenio Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy External Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Local Metastases Radiation therapy: Bone

May 31, 2022 04:36PM sadiesservant wrote:

Kkcita, it really is a function of where you are radiated rather than the radiation itself in my experience. Certain areas are more prone to side effects than others. The early stage disease radiation can often cause fatigue but the spine rads are a different kettle of fish, depending on what's close by and within the field. I've been treated numerous times for issues that have cropped up as a result of my bone mets. Some the relief was almost immediate and I had zero side effects and others have had more of an impact.

Your experience sounds normal to me. I had radiation to my lower lumbar and made the mistake of going back to work. 😳 I got to my office and thought hmmmm I don’t feel very well. Beetled to my car with a plastic bag in my hand and was sick before I made it out of the garage. Apparently the radiation caught a bit of my stomach. I’m currently recovering from rads to the c-spine/upper thoracic area - new lesion that was causing right shoulder pain and numbness in my right arm. I have fatigue (although chemo is likely contributing to this) and have a sore throat which is getting better. Rads to the base of my skull caused me to lose my sense of taste for about six weeks. The body is an amazing thing as we never know which nerves will be impacted but thankfully, so far, the side effects have been of short duration. I’m happy to see some improvement in my right hand numbness but it’s not back to normal yet. Hopefully the nerve damage from the lesion isn’t permanent.

Hope things improve for you quickly.

Dx 4/2001, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/10 nodes, ER+ Surgery 5/10/2001 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 6/7/2001 CEF Radiation Therapy 12/17/2001 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/20/2001 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2007 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/21/2007 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 1/3/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/27/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 3/28/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 4/19/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Dx 10/12/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to other Chemotherapy 10/20/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 11/15/2017 External Local Metastases 11/15/2017 Radiation therapy: Bone Hormonal Therapy 1/18/2018 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Radiation Therapy 8/2/2018 External Local Metastases 8/2/2018 Radiation therapy: Bone Radiation Therapy 11/5/2018 External Local Metastases 11/5/2018 Radiation therapy: Bone Targeted Therapy 10/9/2019 Verzenio Radiation Therapy 11/3/2020 External Local Metastases 11/3/2020 Radiation therapy: Bone Dx 1/22/2021, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/4/2021 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 10/8/2021 Other Chemotherapy 1/7/2022 Other

Jun 7, 2022 06:37PM edge_of_no_return wrote:

kkcita - and sadiesservant - you have no idea how much needed to see your post right now. super similar circumstances / symptoms feel like dying. i appreciate so much knowing this *is not my imagination*.

Dx 11/2016: right, IDC stage 1 grade 3, ER/PR+, HER2-. lumpectomy + sentinel dissection 1/2017. whole breast radiation only, opted out on meds. NED until 2021. MBC Stage IV Dx 9/2021: L1 vertebrae & possible rib 1. started arimidex & ibrance 12/2021, stopped 5/1/2022, re-evaluating. radiation scheduled for June 2022.

Jun 10, 2022 02:46PM kbl wrote:

It’s been a while since I’ve been on the bone mets thread. I see some of you in other threads.

I’m not sure if anyone will be able to answer my question, but it’s worth a shot. I have widespread diffuse mets throughout my whole spine from skull to femurs. I’ve been having some numbness and tingling in my hands that comes and goes, so my onc sent me for a cervical spine MRI. I am very stubborn and do not take meds for pain very often. If I do, it’s either Naproxen or Motrin. Here are the results. Am I in denial that I’m risking a break or is it just old age stuff going on? How concerned should I be

Results as follows:

Findings of diffuse skeletal metastasis are again noted. Diffuse congenital cervical spinal canal narrowing is again noted. There is disc space narrowing and disc bulging at the C4-5 level resulting in spinal stenosis and mild cord compression. There is also generalized bulging of the C5-6 disc resulting in spinal stenosis and cord compression. A small left subarticular to left central broad-based disc protrusion contributes to spinal stenosis at this segment.

There is a central C6-C7 level disc herniation along with disc bulging resulting in central spinal stenosis and cord compression. There is no evidence for cord signal abnormalities. There is mild bulging of the T1-T2 disc. The visualized posterior fossa structures have unremarkable appearance. There is no evidence for neural foraminal stenosis.

IMPRESSION: WIDESPREAD AND EXTENSIVE SKELETAL METASTATIC DISEASE AS PREVIOUSLY DOCUMENTED

2. DIFFUSE CONGENITAL SPINAL CANAL NARROWING COMPLICATED BY CERVICAL DISC DISEASE AT THE C4-5, C5-6 AND C6-7 LEVELS RESULTING IN ADDITIONAL ACQUIRED SPINAL STENOSIS AND CORD COMPRESSION. THERE IS NO CURRENT EVIDENCE FOR CORD SIGNAL ABNORMALITIES. THESE FINDINGS ARE SIMILAR TO AUGUST 27 2020.

3. DISC PROTRUSIONS ARE ALSO NOTED AT THE C5-6 AND C6-C7 LEVEL CONTRIBUTING TO SPINAL STENOSIS AT THE SEGMENTS.

De Novo ILC - No primary found. Mets to full spine, femurs, skull, and stomach. Missed diagnosis from 2013 to 2019 Dx 5/1/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy 5/1/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 5/1/2019 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Chemotherapy 9/27/2021 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Jun 10, 2022 03:46PM li77 wrote:

Hi kbl,

I'm not sure that I can answer your question, but I would think the numbness and tingling is caused from the stenosis and cord compression. I have a fracture at L2 with canal and foraminal stenosis and the top of my right thigh is numb from hip to knee. I think if you were at risk of a break, it would say so on the report; my initial one said that L2 would be prone to pathologic fracture (and then it did, during radiation). If you want to compare an MRI with fracture, here's mine:

FINDINGS:
THORACIC SPINE:
Alignment of the thoracic spine is within normal limits.
Vertebral body height is maintained.
Mild multilevel disc space height loss is present.
Multiple enhancing metastases throughout the thoracic vertebral
levels. No consequent pathologic fracture or canal compromise.
Thoracic cord is normal in signal intensity.
No acute findings within the paraspinal soft tissues.

LUMBAR SPINE:
5 nonrib-bearing lumbar-type vertebral bodies are present.
Alignment of the lumbar spine is within normal limits.
Multiple enhancing metastases throughout the lumbar vertebral levels.
These involve nearly the entire L2 and S2 vertebral levels.
There is consequent pathologic fracture of L2 with retropulsion and
anterior epidural disease, with consequent moderate canal stenosis
and moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis at L2-L3 with crowding of
the exiting L2 nerve roots.
Multilevel disc space height loss is present.
Conus terminates at L1.
Cauda equina demonstrates normal appearance.
No acute findings in the paraspinal soft tissues.

IMPRESSION:
Multiple enhancing metastases throughout the thoracic vertebral
levels. No consequent pathologic fracture or canal compromise.

Multiple enhancing metastases throughout the lumbar vertebral levels.
These involve nearly the entire L2 and S2 vertebral levels.

There is consequent pathologic fracture of L2 with retropulsion and
anterior epidural disease. Consequent moderate canal stenosis and
moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis at L2-L3 with crowding of the
exiting L2 nerve roots.

Lauren, De Novo Stage IV diagnosis at 44, January 2022. Mets to spine, ribs, iliac bones. Former attorney, current smart ass, mom to an awesome 10-year-old. F this shit. Hormonal Therapy 2/9/2022 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 2/14/2022 Other part Targeted Therapy 4/25/2022 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 4/25/2022 Femara (letrozole) Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 10, 2022 04:47PM rk2020 wrote:

li77 - thanks for including your report. Since I’ve been told that I have mets on almost every vertebrae, I often wonder how strong my spine is any longer. It was good to see how much detail the radiologist can see in an MRI.

KBL - Can’t really help you but you do seem to have a lot of degenerative disease. As far as your tingling goes, since January 1, 2022 I feel an electrical type zing in my abdomen when I bend my cervical spine forward. It is not painful but obviously something is not quite right. Last fall I had rads on my lower cervical spine and my Jan 10 scan indicated a new met on C1. Since this sensation started, none of my scans (PET, CT, bone and MRI) have shown any reason for this sensation. The C1 met is now resolved but the zing continues. My point is, the spine and it’s nerves is complex and sometimes we have damage going on that even scans can’t explain.

Surgery 5/1/2016 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Chemotherapy 6/20/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 9/1/2016 Whole breast: Right breast Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 3/10/2020 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 3/28/2020 Ibrance (palbociclib) Radiation Therapy 2/22/2021 Other part Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 9/1/2021 Verzenio Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy External Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Local Metastases Radiation therapy: Bone

Jun 10, 2022 05:35PM kbl wrote:

Thank you, li77 and rk2020.

Li77, so sorry you have a fracture. I am a bit concerned about fracture because I keep picking up my 33-pound grandson. Lol. Have you had any physical therapy, and if so, has it helped? I’m thinking about it.

Rk2020, I’m glad the zing isn’t painful. I appreciate you letting me know what you’re going through as well.

De Novo ILC - No primary found. Mets to full spine, femurs, skull, and stomach. Missed diagnosis from 2013 to 2019 Dx 5/1/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy 5/1/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 5/1/2019 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Chemotherapy 9/27/2021 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Jun 10, 2022 05:55PM li77 wrote:

Kbl, I have not had any physical therapy although I'm not ruling it out once this fracture heals more. I had two epidural steroid injections (one to L2 and one to S2), which helped tremendously, and I'm on Celebrex and Gabapentin. I feel much older than I am; getting up from the couch is a challenge now. Lol. My 20-ish pound dog recently had surgery (to remove a cancerous mass from her intestine), so I've been picking her up and carrying her up and down the stairs. I can't imagine 33 pounds, but a kid is much easier to carry (not my 10 year old though!).

Lauren, De Novo Stage IV diagnosis at 44, January 2022. Mets to spine, ribs, iliac bones. Former attorney, current smart ass, mom to an awesome 10-year-old. F this shit. Hormonal Therapy 2/9/2022 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 2/14/2022 Other part Targeted Therapy 4/25/2022 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 4/25/2022 Femara (letrozole) Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 2702 of 2,731 (27,307 results)

Scroll to top button