Topic: Bone Mets Thread

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer ONLY. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets.

Posted on: Jun 22, 2012 03:09AM - edited Oct 28, 2021 02:22PM by moderators

Posted on: Jun 22, 2012 03:09AM - edited Oct 28, 2021 02:22PM by moderators

Jac53 wrote:

I've started this thread after suggestions that it would be useful.

Mod Note: We have removed the original link as it is no longer viable. At one of our member's' recommendation we are offering this link as a resource for you.

https://youtu.be/YpFfLrITfEI

Jeannie. "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." Dx 6/19/1995, 10/15 nodes Dx 2/18/2011, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2/2012, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 2703 of 2,717 (27,169 results)

Jun 10, 2022 06:37PM dodgersgirl wrote:

kbl—- this is what my first spine X-ray results were prior to my MBC diagnosis. I had “hurt” my back and after a couple of weeks could barely walk so to the PCP I went. He took an X-ray and called me that afternoon telling the cancer had spread. I had rads and had a bone doctor review scans to make sure I wasn’t about to break my spine.

This is what the X-ray report stated:

COMPARISON: 2/6/2019.

FINDINGS: There is mild superior endplate compression deformity of T12 which may be new compared to February. Correlate with physical exam findings. Cross-sectional imaging, preferably MRI may be considered for further evaluation.

There is moderate thoracic and lumbar disc degeneration and accompanying facet arthropathy. No aggressive bone destruction.

Dx 3/10/2017, IDC: Mucinous, Right, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/11/2017 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right) Dx 12/2019, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jun 10, 2022 10:36PM kc54321 wrote:

Kbl - I have Mets to my spine, sacrum, hips, ribs and skull. I’ve been in pain for about 6 months with three fractures in different locations of my spine and fractures in both rib cages. I think, in the beginning of my bone Mets diagnosis, I was pushing really hard to stay active and that’s how I ended up with fractures. Too many rides on Space Mountain at Disneyland I guess. While my systemic treatment failed, i had palliative radiation to most of my spine, including 1-7 of my C-spine, to my tailbone area and hip. The radiation helped a lot on those areas. I do not like taking Opioids and try to just take Alleve. I now have a back brace, that is bulky, but does provide support. It’s my understanding that spinal cord compression can lead to paralysis so I would suggest letting your MO know about the numbness/tingling. I’m sure they’ll want to monitor that.

Please take care- K

Dx 8/2/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/16/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 7/16/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole), Faslodex (fulvestrant) Chemotherapy 1/5/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 2/25/2020 Local Metastases 2/25/2020 translation missing: en.treatments.local_metastases.local_metastases_types.short_options.liver_stereostatic-body-radiation-therapy: Liver Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2021 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy 12/19/2021 Afinitor (everolimus) Chemotherapy 3/6/2022 Chemotherapy 3/7/2022 Other Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy Other

Jun 11, 2022 02:47AM sondraf wrote:

I had existing spinal stenosis/canal narrowing at L5/S1 prior to dx due to a sizeable disk prolapse and its still there - MO just closely monitors with a full spine MRI every 6-9 months or so as I also had a largish met in that area which they radiated. The stenosis has always given me a numb/prickly large left toe and now some of the top of my left foot. It doesn't bother enough to take drugs, but I know its there. I also apparently had an L3 fracture at some point in the last 8 months that I never felt!

Look up a dermatome chart online - that will show what areas of the body are impacted by stenosis/degenerative changes in which parts of the vertebrae.

"The closer we come to the negative, to death, the more we blossom" - Montgomery Clift Dx 9/27/2019, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/28/2019 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 11/28/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery 11/28/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right) Targeted Therapy 3/1/2022 Lynparza (olaparib)

Jun 11, 2022 05:56AM - edited Jun 11, 2022 05:58AM by kbl

Thank you all for helping me to understand. I will ask about a whole spine MRI periodically. I don't know if Medicare would cover that.

I have been offered radiation to my hips, but I haven't felt the need yet. I will try not to pick up my grandson. So hard. I can't imagine picking up a dog. They can't help. Li77, I’m sorry your pup had cancer. Ugh

De Novo ILC - No primary found. Mets to full spine, femurs, skull, and stomach. Dx 5/1/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/20/2021 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Chemotherapy 9/27/2021 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jun 11, 2022 02:09PM gonegirl wrote:

Has anyone had cyberknife to the ribs near the spine? I finished 5 hits of radiation to T8 and T9 on Mar 30, 2022. The pain was lessening and lately has gotten worse again. Plus, now a section on the right hurts now. I just had an MRI and bone scan few days ago and says nothing is spreading. The MRI noted edema in the radiated section or near. I'll be emailing the radiation folks on Monday but I'm very confused.

Would there be a situation where radiation could cause side effects that make pain bad again. I was so hoping radiation would cut this pain and I feel very despondent. I appreciate anything anyone can talk about.

Targeted Therapy 2/9/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/9/2012 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 11/1/2012 Mastectomy (Left): Simple; Mastectomy (Right): Simple; Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Surgery 11/5/2012 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Targeted Therapy 12/7/2013 Kadcyla (T-DM1, ado-trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 11/6/2015 External Local Metastases 11/6/2015 Radiation therapy: Bone Targeted Therapy 9/11/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/11/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Radiation Therapy 3/24/2022 Other part

Jun 12, 2022 07:30AM ddil wrote:

Kbl,

Did your onc. Give you any suggestions on treatment for your Mets? I’ve had injections many years ago pre-cancer, for bulging and herniated discs and it helped a ton. Of course this is much different and I’m not sure what you’re options are given the situation. I’m hoping your onc. Has a plan in place to help you. Keep me posted. I’m no help whatsoever, But I do hope you find the right treatment.

DeNovo Lobular ER/PR+ Her - CHEK2 mutation. Right lymph and small 1.6cm tumor, Mets to bone. Ibrance, Letrozole and Xcheva Hormonal Therapy 1/17/2022 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 1/17/2022 Ibrance (palbociclib) Dx ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx Right Local Metastases Bone

Jun 12, 2022 01:35PM kbl wrote:

DDIL, I see my onc on the 28th. I may see if physical therapy could help. My hips have been killing me for the last few days. I fell with my grandson again the other day and not sure if that is why. I was low to the ground. That’s the third time I’ve fallen with him since they moved in. I guess I really need to be more careful. I also am trying not to pick him up. So hard.

De Novo ILC - No primary found. Mets to full spine, femurs, skull, and stomach. Dx 5/1/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/20/2021 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Chemotherapy 9/27/2021 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jun 12, 2022 01:42PM gonegirl wrote:

KBL. I've been doing Qigong to help with balance. So easy and gentle. I do videos on YouTube. Maybe ask the pt folks. Sorry to hear about the pain.

Susan

Targeted Therapy 2/9/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/9/2012 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 11/1/2012 Mastectomy (Left): Simple; Mastectomy (Right): Simple; Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Surgery 11/5/2012 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Targeted Therapy 12/7/2013 Kadcyla (T-DM1, ado-trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 11/6/2015 External Local Metastases 11/6/2015 Radiation therapy: Bone Targeted Therapy 9/11/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/11/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Radiation Therapy 3/24/2022 Other part

Jun 12, 2022 02:07PM sunshine99 wrote:

kbl, I'm sorry about your recent falls. It must be hard to not pick up your grandson.

gonegirl, I'll have to look up that program for balance. Thanks for the suggestion.

Carol

my-sunny-side-up.com Cancer has progressed to my bones. I pray that it never enters my soul. Dx 11/2/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/26/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/5/2020 External Local Metastases 5/5/2020 Radiation therapy: Bone Radiation Therapy 5/12/2020 External Local Metastases 5/12/2020 Radiation therapy: Bone Targeted Therapy 6/10/2020 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jun 12, 2022 06:59PM - edited Jun 12, 2022 07:00PM by kbl

Gonegirl and Sunshine, thank you. I am going to look at the Silver Sneakers program. It's free through Medicare, and it's worth a shot. I used to exercise a lot until my cancer was actually diagnosed. I'm afraid my pain will get worse, so I need not be so sedentary. I do walk every day, but it's not enough. I can do on demand things too. I've tried yoga a few times, and I know that's just not my thing. I will try something different. I haven't fallen because of losing my balance. My grandson starts to trip over me or I start to trip over him, and instead of landing on him, I go over the top or he grabs on to me and I've gone down. Oy! My bursitis in my hips has flared, and I imagine it's from the spill I took the other day.

Page 2703 of 2,717 (27,169 results)

Scroll to top button