We are 225,822 members in 82 forums discussing 158,474 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Solo Herceptin after Taxol w/ Herceptin - Changes in SE?

Forum: HER2+ (Positive) Breast Cancer —

Testing, treatment, side effects, and more.

Posted on: Oct 20, 2019 08:33PM

teaka123 wrote:

Completed my 12 rounds of Herceptin every week with Taxol (Hooray)! I will be starting the every 3 week Herceptin only this next week. Did anyone experience changes in their side effects? I had minimal SE while on the Taxol/Herceptin - no nausea, but did have insomnia, headaches and was very tired in the last few weeks. Is it safe to assume that if I did experience nausea before I still won't? Hard to know what SE can be attributed to Taxol and what to Herceptin since some of them overlap. Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (15 results)

Posts 1 - 15 (15 total)

Oct 21, 2019 04:25AM Ingerp wrote:

Herceptin is not a chemo drug so you can expect few-to-no SEs. You also won't be getting the pre-meds that you were with Taxol (the steroid often leads to insomnia). That said, I was expecting the H only to be nothing, and I can't say that it was. I realized after a few months that I felt kind of weird on tx days--like driving home almost felt like I'd been drinking, and sometimes I had to take a nap in the afternoon. I pushed protein really hard through chemo and did pretty well as a result. I had cut way back on that and got it in my head I might need more protein in my diet, even with the H only. I started eating red meat the two nights before treatment and it made a *huge* difference. Once I started that, I felt <almost> no effect from the H only.

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/23/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/20/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/18/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/13/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/18/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/20/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Oct 21, 2019 07:36PM teaka123 wrote:

Ingerp Thank you for the information. I'm already enjoying getting my energy level up some! I'll have my first Herceptin only this Thursday and will be sure to get some protein in my diet before.

Oct 21, 2019 08:09PM - edited Oct 22, 2019 03:14PM by SpecialK

teaka - congrats on finishing Taxol - that's a big moment! Since your Herceptin will be in a larger dose you may notice some differences in how you feel after these infusions when compared with the smaller weekly doses you received with chemo. Runny nose, low grade headache, an off feeling like ingerp describes, can happen. One of the most common complaints is joint/muscle pain. This can be linked to infusion time, some oncologists will deny this, but I have experienced it myself and many others on this site have as well. When I received Herceptin with chemo my infusion time was 90 mins. for the Herceptin. I received Herceptin with Taxotere/Carboplatin every three weeks, and had no issues with pain. My first solo Herceptin was the same dose, but infused over 30 mins. I had significant hip and leg pain that lasted for the first week, enough to keep me from sleeping. I requested a drop back to a 90 minute infusion, no further problems. Additionally, I had GI distress during chemo and Herceptin infusions, but once I was done with chemo my onc nurse recommended I add a probiotic and this was a big help. Good luck!

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 15 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3

Oct 22, 2019 03:40PM MinusTwo wrote:

I too requested that my solo Hercepetin infusions remain 90 minutes. They were unhappy, but the complied. I also took Claritin the day of & for a couple of days after for the symptoms Special is describing. Who knows why it works, but it does for a lot of people.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Oct 22, 2019 05:41PM DogMomRunner wrote:

I am getting the every three week infusions of Herceptin also. So far I have had minimal SE. I have had some headaches but I attributed it to radiation treatment. I just stopped Rad therapy so I guess I'll see if it really was rads

You ain't run far enough to say My legs have failed You ain't gone far enough You ain't worked hard enough You ain't run far enough to say It ain't gonna get any better. Nathaniel Rateliff Dx 4/24/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/8 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 5/17/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Targeted Therapy 6/5/2019 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/5/2019 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 9/21/2019 Whole-breast: Breast

Oct 22, 2019 06:59PM teaka123 wrote:

Thank you all for your responses. My doctor hasn't mentioned any changes to the Herceptin dosage or infusion time. Thursday I will have lab work, meet with the Dr. and then my infusion. I'll be certain to ask her about it if she doesn't mention if there will be changes. My new countdown - Herceptin. :)

Oct 22, 2019 07:08PM DiagnosisDisruption wrote:

I did 11 Herceptin infusions after my 6 TCHP. I didn't notice any side effects. The only thing I can think of was the bloody sore in my nose left over from TCHP finally cleared up about two months after stopping Herceptin. That being said, I did realize it was exhausting just going in and getting the infusion. I would work until 1:00, get the infusion at 2:00, and then go it to work late at 10:30 the next morning. It was also my way of telling work, hello, not done with this chemo stuff. Not quite a year out of Herceptin and everything is back to normal, if not better than before cancer diagnosis (stupid tumor was exhausting).

Dx 12/8/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 1/23/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/23/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 1/23/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/23/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 6/12/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 7/18/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/10/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 23, 2019 04:37AM Ingerp wrote:

teaka--I only found out accidentally that I'd be getting three times the prior dosage of H when I was only getting it every three weeks. Of course that makes sense. I stuck with the 30-minute drip. I was always anxious to get in-and-out of the treatment center as quickly as possible.

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/23/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/20/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/18/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/13/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/18/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/20/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Nov 10, 2019 11:59AM PJ_Seattle wrote:

I received Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks, both with my weekly Taxol, and then for the remainder of the year after chemo ended. I had a lot of side effects when on Taxol & HP. But, when the chemo ended and I was just getting the HP infusions every three weeks, it was much better. I preferred to have mine on Fridays, and like others have said the first 24 hours I just felt a bit off and went to bed early that night. After a good night's sleep, I usually felt much better the next day.

Best of luck!

Dx 7/2017, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, 3/16 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy Nerlynx Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)

Nov 13, 2019 07:05PM Artsy01 wrote:

Like most of you, my experience of getting the heceptin/perjeta infusions after finishing the taxol was much more positive overall. I had some fatigue, but nothing like chemo fatigue, and I was able to work the next day. I never had the dreaded diarrhea from perjeta, thank goddess. But geez, my nose ran constantly! And my fingernails grew brittle and paper-thin after about three months of herceptin/perjeta (i.e. six months after starting the herceptin with Taxol). My hair continued to grow slowly, more so than prior to treatment. But overall, I was simply delighted to be done with chemo, surgery, and radiation phases... and so grateful that each phase seemed to be easier than the one before. Wishing you an easier time, too

Dx 5/21/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 6/20/2018 AC Targeted Therapy 9/12/2018 Surgery 12/26/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 1/30/2019

Dec 23, 2019 06:15AM DogMomRunner wrote:

I'm reviving this thread to ask some questions, My nails are really brittle, has anyone found anything to help with that? Also, anyone get short of breath or heart palpitations when exercising. My echo came back fine but I get oddly out of breath even during an easy stroll around the block. It's an occasional thing though

You ain't run far enough to say My legs have failed You ain't gone far enough You ain't worked hard enough You ain't run far enough to say It ain't gonna get any better. Nathaniel Rateliff Dx 4/24/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/8 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 5/17/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Targeted Therapy 6/5/2019 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/5/2019 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 9/21/2019 Whole-breast: Breast

Dec 26, 2019 03:37AM marieibrahim wrote:

dears

I wonder if you could help please about using iv dexamethasone before each taxol dose ..

I hope your herceptin doses go well for you all ..merry Christmas ,love

Dec 26, 2019 03:42AM marieibrahim wrote:

dear DogMomRunner

If your echo is fine I guess it is nothing serious , T.k

Dec 26, 2019 04:44AM SpecialK wrote:

dog mom - try keeping nails short with rounded edges and regularly use coats of either Sally Hansen Hard As Nails, or OPI nail hardener. Both are clear strengthening polishes. If you are not eating enough protein upping that may also help. Have you had a CBC done lately? If you hemoglobin is low it may be contributing to your breathlessness. Blood counts are usually depressed by chemo but some continue to experience lower than normal counts after chemo has stopped but still on targeted therapy. The extra protein may help with that also

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 15 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3

Jan 15, 2020 04:34PM fluffqueen01 wrote:

When I started herceptin only, I felt worse than I did on the weekly taxol mix. Felt like the flu. They slowed it to 90 inutes and I switched to every two weeks and it was much better. Nails were a huge mess. I had to quit using anything beccause they were so soft and thin they were like newborn baby nails. and They hurt if I did the least little thing. Continuous runny nose.

But overall once we changed it up, it wasn't bad.

BMX 2/10 w/TE Taxol 12 wkly/herceptin- 1 yr/ Tamoxifen now. TE’s fail/TE’s back in.  Implants 11/11- perky!" tatoo touchup remains. Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato Targeted Therapy 3/13/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Page 1 of 1 (15 results)