Topic: Nipple Discharge

Forum: Not Diagnosed But Worried — For those who are experiencing symptoms or received concerning test results, but haven't been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Posted on: Jul 29, 2017 07:43AM

Posted on: Jul 29, 2017 07:43AM

djmammo wrote:

from the American College of Radiology

"Nipple discharge is a common complaint that leads patients to breast imaging evaluation. At least 80% of women will experience at least 1 episode of nipple discharge during their reproductive years. Nipple discharge is the third most common breast complaint after breast pain and breast mass, with a prevalence of 4.8% to 7.4%, and accounts for 5% of all breast symptoms. It is categorized as physiologic or pathologic.

Pathologic nipple discharge tends to be unilateral, from a single duct orifice, spontaneous, and serous or bloodstained. Nipple discharge that exhibits any one of these features may be considered pathologic.

Physiologic nipple discharge tends to be bilateral, from multiple duct orifices, and white, green, or yellow in color. In a study by Goskel et al, nonspontaneous nipple discharge, which was frequently colored or milky, was differentiated from spontaneous nipple discharge, which was considered pathologic. In this study, none of the patients with nonspontaneous nipple discharge developed cancer on follow-up examination. In another study by Bahl et al, no in situ or invasive cancers were found in patients whose nipple discharge did not exhibit any of the pathologic features. If patient history and physical examinations demonstrate physiologic nipple discharge and routine screening mammography is up to date, no radiologic investigation is needed.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Page 9 of 14 (133 results)

Aug 28, 2019 05:07PM - edited Aug 28, 2019 05:08PM by Problem91

CR2 did you ever get an answer as to what was

Sep 10, 2019 04:51PM CR2 wrote:

just had my mammogram and ultrasound today. They noticed a 1 cm well circumscribed area in a duct. Said they thought it was debris or a papilloma. biopsy scheduled for 9/20. any thoughts on what this could be

Sep 10, 2019 06:26PM djmammo wrote:

CR2

There are really only 2 possibilities and you have already listed both of them.

Board Certified Diagnostic Radiologist specializing in Breast Imaging. Contact me at DJMammo@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2019 05:22AM diana1803 wrote:

Hai may i knw how is your condition now? Im always having the same sign like you. Itchy and milky nipple discharge.

Sep 16, 2019 05:10PM CR2 wrote:

I have my biopsy this Friday 9/20. The radiologist seeme sure that it was either debris or a papilloma but I’m concerned that it is DCIS or something else. Not sure how they can be so certain. I will update after I get results.

Sep 24, 2019 04:15PM CR2 wrote:

I got my biopsy results back and it is a benign papilloma. They said that they like to remove thoseso I have an appointment with BS next week.

Oct 2, 2019 01:36PM Juliec0928 wrote:

Has anyone had the bloody discharge AFTER a NSM? My initial US and MRI came back negative but I’ve been having the discharge for almost two years. Now I just had another negative US but am waiting for my MRI results from last week.

I’m so nervous because my Dr has said she never seen this after Mastectomy.

Oct 16, 2019 11:42PM - edited Oct 16, 2019 11:43PM by shazelwo

I have had off and on bouts of dark brown discharge. My Breast Surgeon said its ok if it isnt bloody. So I unfortunately noticed it was bleeding this week. I didnt know if it was from being dry (since it is flaky) or coming from the ducts. I gave the nipple a pinch like the Dr has to evaluate (I know not to do this but I did it to investigate) The blood came from multiple ducts. So I had an order out for my annual with diagnostic workup on this breast because we have been watchful for 4 years now, so I went ahead and scheduled my exam, but they cant see me until 11/15. Should I call my surgeon to update him or just wait for imaging?

Oct 17, 2019 08:10AM - edited Jan 9, 2020 10:34AM by djmammo

shazelwo

The surgeon would need the imaging to help make a decision so perhaps make an appointment to see them after the imaging is completed.

Also, don't squeeze the nipple. Press around the areola like a clock face from 12 to 1 to 2 etc and see at what location the discharge occurs. This helps us tell where to concentrate the ultrasound exam.

Oct 26, 2019 09:45PM - edited Oct 26, 2019 11:53PM by Nanaof11

This Post was deleted by Nanaof11.

Page 9 of 14 (133 results)

Scroll to top button