We are 185,857 members in 80 forums discussing 140,261 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: High Risk of Recurrence or Second Breast Cancer → Topic: Long term "high oncotype test" survivors

Topic: Long term "high oncotype test" survivors

Forum: High Risk of Recurrence or Second Breast Cancer — Managing high recurrence risk of developing a second breast cancer.

Posted on: Aug 8, 2008 12:54PM

1OUgirl wrote:

Is there any long term survivors who have had a high oncotype score.  I know that this test is relatively new but I also know that it has been on the market at least 4 years.  So I know that "long term" regarding this test isn't very long term.  I had it done 3 years and 4 months ago.  My oncotype score was 52.  My onc told me that the test had been on the market only about 8 months.  I'm just curious about others who have had an extremely high score and are still clear (so to speak).  I am doing great with no signs of any kind.  Is there alot of others out there?  By the way, I love this site.

Page 13 of 13 (362 results)

Posts 361 - 362 (362 total)

Apr 18, 2017 10:30PM edwards750 wrote:

Thanks Margo. I didn't know what it was called. I'm not surprised the test isn't covered. I was blessed my Oncotype test was paid for by BC/BS. No way could my DH and I afforded $5k. Genomic Labs who conducted my test did say if insurance didn't pay they would bill me on a sliding income scale.

Given the mountain of bills already incurred even that would have been tough to handle. We have a large deductible like 5k that we met in 2 months. After that 100% thankfully because I had 33 radiation treatments that were paid. I know that would have cost us 30-40k.

Insurance companies need to do a better job researching the true costs of diseases like cancer. They resist and ultimately refuse to pay for anything that in their minds is not a routine test or standard of care. In the long run approving tests like the Oncotype saves them money. Chemotherapy is pricey. Maybe one of these days..

Diane

Apr 18, 2017 11:50PM QuinnCat wrote:

As I recall, Genomics gives a 2% reduction in recurrence if using AIs versus Tamoxifen. That was in 2012 when I had the test.

As far as BCI, someone on BCO mentioned their insurance wouldn't cover, but BCI didn't charge her, so they must have some program for those whose insurance doesn't cover them. Worth talking to them about that. I'm coming up on 5 years of AI in August, so will be researching myself. My MO was not promoting the test in 2015, but we haven't spoken of it since

Page 13 of 13 (362 results)