Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CMF Question

Options

Comments

• dash
    dash Member Posts: 173
    edited November 2006
    Options
    OK--what all should be on my shopping list for starting this stuff?
    Biotene mouthwash and toothpaste
    colace
    senekot
    Big water bottle

Anything else help you through? Thanks!
  • SCMartin
    SCMartin Member Posts: 112
    edited November 2006
    Options

Bayore2, I used the Biotine toothpaste and mouthwash only for a few days after each chemo and then went to my regular toothpaste. I used Nioxin shampoo and scalp treatment everyday all through chemo. In fact, I am still using the products. I did not have hair loss or thinning. I drank a lot of liquids during chemo and all that day and the next to flush it out. Be sure to vary the kinds of liquids you drink. I drink metamucil every night anyway so I never had constipation. I was given Kytril to take for nausea and i would take one the evening of chemo and then maybe one the next day. The anti-nausea pills will constipate you. You will do fine and CMF is so much easier to tolerate. It's not a breeze but easier. I am doing rads now and dislike those treatments. I am more fatigued with those then I was with chemo. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me. When do you start and how often and how many? susan

• dash
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Thanks Susan, If all goes well with my healing from minor surgery yesterday, I should start the day after Thanksgiving. The onc said he likes the Day 1-Day 8 schedule with the pill form of the "C" drug taken for 2 weeks daily each month. He said if this causes too much nausea, I can be switched to the infusion of that one. I am having 12 infusions--2 a month for a total of 6 months.
    ~Holly
  • socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Hi Holly, I too had that chemo...this is doable!!
    Holding your hand..Lisa
  • elf146
    elf146 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Hi all;
    Just checking in. Had #4 of 6 yesterday and was pretty much wiped out yesterday evening. Today still tired and go back for hydration and nausea meds. I have been very lucky and kick back to pretty much norman in a few days.
    Just wanted to wishyou all a Happy Thanksgiving.
    Hugs and Prayers; Eva
  • SCMartin
    edited November 2006
    Options

Hi Eva, So happy to hear you are almost there. You will have a nice Thanksgiving knowing you only have two more to go! I had to have 8. I am in rads now and have 22 more to go. Here's wishing that you feel well on thanksgiving Day and the whole week-end. Susan

• b445
    b445 Member Posts: 980
    edited November 2006
    Options

Wishing all CMFers a grand day! Remeber to stay hydrated and remeber you can do this!

81502 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2006
    Options

It seems the CMF treatment is easier to take than AC plus Taxol. What determines who gets what?

• b445
    edited November 2006
    Options

It is mostly up to your Doctor and what he feels will wortk best for your DX. Talk to them about it maybe it will work for you?

• d23
    d23 Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2006
    Options
    One thing - I hate the taste of water. If you add a little lemon juice, it cuts the metallic taste.

Also, according to my sitter, kalamata olives are an old Greek remedy for nausea. I found they helped a lot on the bad days.

When I took zofran, the colace and senekot weren't enough. I would start them early - like the day or two before the chemo infusion. But I would also have something else on hand - like metamucil. And lots of dried fruit - apricots or prunes. Constipation is a problem because it can also cause nausea, and makes it hard to decide if you need to go up on your anti-nausea meds, down on them, or up on the laxatives. So, it's really good to nip it in the bud.
    Hope that helps.

Mindy
  • dash
    edited November 2006
    Options

Mindy, I happen to love kalamata olives and will def give this a try~thanks!

• elf146
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Hi all, I'm back! Had a few rough days after this my 4th one. Was lethargic and cried easily. Don't know what was with that. I cried and slept for 2 days. I'm off the nausea drugs now and feel much better. Still tired, but tired I can live with. Will be so happy when all 6 are over with. This was number 4 so 2 to go.
    Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving. We had a quiet one, but that is what I needed.
    Hugs and prayers to all. Take care and hang in there.
    Eva
  • b445
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Yeah Eva you're almost there honey hang in there you will have this behind you before you know it.

Hugs & prayers
  • SCMartin
    edited November 2006
    Options

Good job, Eva. Just two more. Since I'm posting this at 4:20 in the morning then you can see I'm not sleeping well. The itching from radiation is awful! You will be done with chemo soon. The crying is normal- It hit me after my 5th treatment. And somtimes it still hits.

• dash
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Well, girls, the bladder irritation is a lot better today. I took the cytoxan in one dose this morning and downed 32oz of water and then another 32 or so...Blech I am sick of water and every other liquid. Husband is out getting me some frozen juice concentrates to add to water. Today, the nausea was pretty strong & persistent even though I took both compazine and zofran. But yet I am hungry, too. Heartburn. burping. constipation. my 'beloved' cup of morning coffee smelled gross. head tingling and burning(what's up with that?) My entire system is just feeling out of whack. And I've cried 3 times today. I hope to heck that this gets better.
  • Curlylocks
    Curlylocks Member Posts: 61
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Hi Bayore,

I have read your posts in the past and am sorry that this chemo crap as been dumped on you so far into this journey. Someone on your medical team dropped the ball.

Although I didnt have CMF, had 4 A/c and 4 Taxol. My first treatment was the worst, had vomitting first day despite anti nausea meds and also had Zofran. If you are actually physically getting sick, call the oncologist/doctors and have the Zofran changed. I changed to Kytril and had no problems with getting physically ill for the other 7 treatments.

Sorry your having a hard time but the first one is normally the worst.

Do try taking the senekot fairly often as I noticed that the anti nausea meds and the chemo drugs really constipated me so keeping ahead of the game helped in future rounds.

I would maybe stay away from the coffee the first 3 or 4 days as it might upset your stomach. If you cant stomach the water try adding lemon to it or drink some Crystal Light instead. Do try to keep those liquids in you though to prevent dehyradation and bladder irritation from chemo drugs. I also found that eating small light meals helped my tummy from feeling so sickly, crackers, yogourt, pudding but definitely nothing greasy or spicy.

The chemo drugs do also make you very emotional especially those damn steriods which I grew to hate with a passion after 6 months!

Hang in there sweetie, one down 5 to go?

Your bc sister
    Michele Wenz
  • dash
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Geez, Michele, there are the tears again..thanks for the understanding, sister...I think if I can just get the hang of this, knowing what & how much to drink and eat, how many senekot, etc...Today I was pretty close to being physically ill but it didn't get worse than that. I like the idea that the first treatment is the worst--I'm going to keep that in mind!! Oh, I wish it was 5 more to go...no, 1 down and 11 more to go. Crystal Light--good idea!
    Thanks and {{{HUGS}}}
  • Curlylocks
    Curlylocks Member Posts: 61
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I took one Senekot in the morning and one in the evening. I used the one that was labelled "senekot with s", s meaning stool softner. It does say on the bottle how many you should take a day, cant remember now. As far as the eating, my first treatment I couldnt eat any more than a few crackers, yogurt and pudding for the first 4 days. I did find that keeping something small in my tummy helped it from feeling upset.

Sorry I didnt realize you had to have 12 treatments, thought it was six. Even still, keep in mind you have the first one down. Dont look at the full picture but take each one as it comes. I found once I hit my fourth treatment which was 1/2 way I could see a little more light at the end. Also remember that you are feeling ill in the short term for long term gain.

Healing thoughts.

Michele Wenz
  • b445
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Holly, Michelle is right eat small amount several time a day. Dried apricots, prunes are good too But I perefered to eat pineapple or drink pineapple juice to help the the constipation from the meds. I drank lots of tea and crystal light type drinks. I alweays have a botlle with me and some of the packets in the tubes of tea so I can refill it anytime I need to. I still do that.

Remember you can always call the Oncs office if the heartburn or naseua get worse and they can get you something. Most want to make this as easy as possible for you to get through.
    hugs & prayers
  • elf146
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Bayore; Glad your first treatment is out of the way. I think it is the worst because we are scared and don't know what to expect. I have always had a small problem with constipation, so nausea meds really mess my system up. I use Senekot S and sometimes take 2 in am and 2 in pm for a day. Really works, but causes me some stomach pain, but at least get the relief.
    The crying is normal. I have spells where I cry for no logical reason. Guess it is all the drugs in my body, but don't like it. Don't like to be out of control, but it always passes after a couple days.
    Remember, Pop Cycles count as liquid to and sometimes really taste good.
    Hang in there, you can do it.
    Hugs and prayers to all.
    Eva
  • SCMartin
    edited November 2006
    Options

Bayyore, Hope you are feeling better. Now that #1 is behind you it helps to know what to expect. I kind of found each one a bit different. Many were milder-just a couple of tougher ones. You will know what to do with each one with the nausea drugs, laxatives, etc. I know it seems like this will go on forever but trust us, it ends and knowing you did the chemo helps you to feel like you are doing everything you can to kepp this from appearing again. Believe me when I say- I am a big baby and got through 8 very well. Now I am almost halfway through radiation and that is going well, also. It's been six months since diagnosis for me and the time did go pretty fast. You can and will do this and if you have to cry, then cry. I still have my bouts of crying but they are so less frequent because now there is a light at the end of this journey. Just keep coming to these boards for support. We have all been there. Hugs, Susan

• dash
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Hi,
    Today's forecast is more nausea, bad headache BUT more energy! I didn't realize how wiped out I was until it lifted somewhat today.
    The ice pop and yogurt suggestions are great. It took me until noon to have the courage to down those pills, knowing how they are making me feel.
    Well, enough of my whining(for now anyway-lol) I hope each one of you ladies are hanging in there and doing fine!
    Hugs, Holly
  • candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Hi to all,
    Susan, sorry I havent been here lately but I am usually too tired . I have 2 more treatments to go. Can't wait I am so tired of all this. The last 4 treatments were tough. I am anticipating that the last 2 will be also and if they are not then I will be happy. I have had such a hard time drinking and eating. The taste of everything is just plain awful. I feel good today and thats a good thing. My last infusion is Dec. 13th and my last pills are on Dec.19th.
    I am almost there!!! I so dread the next 2 treatments!!! I just feel like I cant do it anymore!! My hair has really thinned--I only have a light coating on my head. I have been wearing lots of hats so my head doesnt get cold. 4 nails are black and I have brown spots on my hands. Onc says all that will go away.

I started my appointments with the radiation Dr. last week. I start radiation on Jan 15th. The rads Dr is very sweet--I like her.
    she says because it is my left breast they can only protect my heart. My lungs and ribs cannot be protected. It increases my chance for lung cancer by 5% but the good stil out weighs the bad.

For all other girls...this CMF is doable. Keep positive...drink and eat what you can. For me, every treatment was unique to itself...different foods worked at different times...it is all trial and error. But even tho we get depressed at times, cant eat or drink at times, very tired at times...it is doable. Keep coming here for support. I could not have done without this place.

I will keep in touch---good luck to all of you as you continue your journey.

Hugs and prayers,

Candie
  • SCMartin
    edited November 2006
    Options

Candie, I was so happy to read your post but so sorry that you have not been feeling well. You are almost there!! The last pill on the 19th-yahoo. Maybe the last two will be OK knowing that you are almost done. It does have a cumulative effect but towards the end the feeling that you are almost done weighs on your mind and thats a good thing!!

• SCMartin
    edited November 2006
    Options

Sorry, I wasn't finished. I am also getting radiation to the left breast. I think with the new technology they can protect your heart well and not get too much of the lung. The ribs will weaken some but I don't intend to do any boxing. I will have #13 today then 17 more to go. It has not been too bad- some itching on the upper chest where I always tanned. It's annoying to go everyday but the time goes fast as I count off weeks. I started Arimidex and of course I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. We'll see!

• SCMartin
    edited November 2006
    Options

I keep getting thrown off so I better finish. I'll be thinking of you during the next treatments. Please, hang in there. You will have a good feeling of relief when you are done and will feel good that you did it! Hugs, Susan

• dash
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Well, so far this morning I feel like ME!! I had coffee, I'm doing wash and getting ready to take a walk. I can't believe how good I feel--only slight queasiness. I wonder if I should expect to feel the effects every Saturday-Tuesday during infusion time.
    Candie, I'm so sorry you're feeling so poorly. Do you feel this way constantly now or do you have "up" days too? Thank you for the suggestions and info--it really helps to know! Hang in there--you're almost done!
    Susan--good luck with your rads--the good thing about every day is you will be done before you know it!
    Hugs, Holly
  • socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Bayyore..glad you are feeling better this morning...
    it really is hard to predict chemo session results.they can vary each time..
    hugs, lisa
  • dash
    edited November 2006
    Options

Well, darn...! I guess the control freak in me wants to find a pattern to stay on top of it, make plans and live life as normally as possible.

• b445
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Holly make those plans but be ready for them to change!
    I got into a pretty good routine with mine. But every once in a while it would react differently.
    Glad you r'e feeling good today!