Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CMF Question

Options

Comments

• SCMartin
    SCMartin Member Posts: 112
    edited October 2006
    Options

Hi Candie, Well, it's the morning after #6 and so far, so good. Neulasta shot today which has been effective so I will get the last ones. I am SO happy that you are feeling better and that you are going to see Elton John. I have found that keeping busy and distractions have helped so much. I have traveled between each chemo and that has been a Godsend. My oncologist just asks, where did you go this time? Isn't it amazing that when we feel normal we feel so good. OK, we are doing this!! Slow but sure and soon it will be in our rearview mirror. Take care Candie and all. susan

• d23
    d23 Member Posts: 20
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Thanks for your hi, Susan. Today was CMF#3. This was the first time I didn't feel well during and after the infusion. A little headache from the cytoxan, and a little nauseated, not enough to need anything though. And besides, I'm loaded up on anti-nauseas as it is. I've generally been doing okay - I start getting sick a couple of days later, am in bed for two days, then I feel bad the next day because of constipation (but I'm going to be more on top of that problem this time). But then I start getting back to my old self, just with a little more fatigue. Then it's back to square one with the next infusion. My understanding is that CMF is easier to handle than AC/T though.

Mindy
  • SCMartin
    edited October 2006
    Options

Mindy, Yes, the CMF is much more tolerable and the side effects are less but still there. It is as effective as A/C but takes longer hence they do tend to use A/C more. I feel better after #6 then I did after #5. Go figure! I have had no nausea this time and the fatigue is less. I do get a headache from the Cytoxan and the one Kytril I take. It is a bearable headache. I always take Metamucil everynight anyway so don't deal with constipation. The anti-nausea drugs will cause that, too. I don't think I have ever counted down numners like I have since July. It's like being on a slow rollar coaster- you just want that top and then the downhill. Just think how good we will all be next year. Rest up- by Friday you will be OK. Hugs. Susan

• d23
    d23 Member Posts: 20
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, the full info is:

Grade II ILC with mixed ductal features, and DCIS and LCIS, PR+ ER+ (both highly positive), her2neu -. Treatment will be cmf and tamoxifen.
  • b445
    b445 Member Posts: 980
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Just checking in on you gals. it's been almost a year since my dx. almost 5 months since I finished CMF chemo & almost 2 months since I finished rads. Since I ama triple negative my treatment is over and it's just tests and followups for me.

I glad to see you are all handling this CMF well. Just pay attention to how you feel and be sure to tell your chemo nurse and Onc if anything is different.

take care hugs & prayers
  • SCMartin
    edited October 2006
    Options

Hello All, Thanks Cheryl for checking on us. Wow, almost a year since Dx. I guess time does go by quickly even though the chemo months seem to drag. I am trying to figure out why this #6 was the easiest of all. I hope my last two are tolerated as well. I am so anxious to be done with this and start radiation. I am NOT anxious to start Arimidex. Hope all my CMF friends are feeling OK. Susan

• Sue227
    Sue227 Member Posts: 45
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Today was my last chemo!!!!!! It was an emotional day. My husband was out of town and couldn't get back in time so a friend from work went with me. When I was finished all of the nurses clapped and hugged me and even the other patients in the lab all congratulated me. I cried like a baby. They said I should come back and visit but I couldn't sit in the chairs! Then I went back to work (I'm a school secretary) and they had decorated my office with balloons and a congratulations banner. They had a great spread of munchies for the whole staff to celebrate, my husband had sent roses and some parents even sent cards and balloons. Then the music teacher brought his class up and they sang to me. The tears were flowing but they were good tears. I still can't believe it is over! On to the next chapter. I go back in a month to talk about tomaxifen and see about having my thyroid out. During all my tests they discovered a tumor which when biopsied was inconclusive for cancer. I don't know what the outcome will be, they will run more tests. I know I still have to deal with the symptoms the next 3 days, but I know it will be the last time so I can deal with anything! Thanks to everyone for all the support, we all will get through this, Susan I think your next to do the happy dance! Love to all of you!
    Sue
  • b445
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Congrats Sue you made it through and you graduated with Honors!
    Hugs & prayers
  • candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Sue,
    I am sooo happy for you. Congrats!!!
    I was a school secretary for 12 years---I know how supportive they can be and what a wonserful job!!!
    Please don't stay away from us--keep in touch.

I have 6 more to go!!

Hugs and prayers,
    Candie
  • Sue227
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Thanks Candie and Cheryl,
    I still can't believe I am done with it! The time really does go by fast,Candie, so hang in there. I won't be going anywhere though. I can't imagine not checking in to see how everyone is doing. Hope everyone is well.
    Sue
  • SCMartin
    edited October 2006
    Options

Sue, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I am so happy that you are done. Needless to say, we are all waiting to say the same. Please keep in touch with us- can't leave us now. Lots of hugs to you and good job! Susan

• Sue227
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Susan,
    Thanks, and we will be saying the same to you soon. I still can't believe it! This one has been bad of course, I got mouth sores already, which I have not really had a problem with so far. My tongue feels like it is twice the normal size. Good old magic mouthwash to the rescue I guess. As I said, I will continue to check in. This is a part of my life now.
    You're next!
    Sue
  • candie1971
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hi to all,
    I go for tx#7 this Wednesday. I dread it of course. #6 was a tough one--took me about 8 days after to feel better. I went to see Elton John this weekend and ,of course, he was great. Today I am going to the "Look Good,Feel Better" workshop. Figure I would take advantage of the things the Cancer Society has. Well, keep in touch and I will do the same.

Hugs and prayers,
    Candie

------------------------------------
    Lif is a Long Song...Jethro Tull
  • SCMartin
    edited October 2006
    Options

Candie, Maybe this one will be easier. I hope so. I was so surprised at how well #6 was for me. I hope the last two are the same but who knows. I'll be thinking of you on wed. You will be more than halfway through. I'm glad you went to the concert and enjoyed it. Stay busy and stay positive. Hugs- Susan

• candie1971
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Susan
    Didn't you have your reunion this weekend? How was it?
    I went to the "Look Good..Feel Better" workship today. We were 8 women--had loads of fun and got some great makeup.
    One girl is only 30--just isnt fair to have bc that young. She has a 4 year old son--just not right!!

Well, tx#7 for me this Wednesday and as usual I am not looking forward to it since #6 was real tough for me...but oh,well...I gotta do it!!

Hugs and prayers,
    Candie

----------------------------------------------
    Life is a Long Song....Jethro Tull
  • SCMartin
    edited October 2006
    Options

Candie, Hello! Yes, we went to NY this past week-end for my reunion. It was so much fun and everyone looked great at age 53. It was the class of 1971. No one could tell that anything was going on with me . The only comment was how thin I am. I was frally excited when so many said I hadn't chenged a bit. Either they are good liars or then need better glssses!! Anyway, it was a blast. I'm thinking of you tomorrow. Remember when we were counting #1 and 2? We've come a long way. Stay strong and positive. Hugs, Susan

• SCMartin
    edited October 2006
    Options

Candie, just thinking of you. How are you doing after #6? Hope you are OK. Susan

• candie1971
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Susan,
    Thanks for thinking of me...had #7 the other day...so far so good...5 more to go!!!!--How are you?
    Candie

------------------------------------
    Lif is a Long song...Jethro Tull
  • SCMartin
    edited October 2006
    Options

Candie, Oh, good, #7 not 6! Glad to hear you are doing well. You are more than halfway there. I will have my second to last one on this Monday. It also happens to be my 30th wedding anniversary! Not quite the way we planned on spending the day! But, only one more after that. I will go for radiation simulation on Nov. 1st- two days after my last chemo. I will start radiation on Nov. 13th. They will start me on Arimidex at that time, also. Glad to hear you are well and I will write after #7 on monday. Have a great week-end and CHIN UP!! hugs, Susan

• candie1971
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Susan,
    So glad you are almost done!! And a very Happy Anniversary and many more to you and hubby!!!

I finish in December so I guess I should go to radiation Dr. while on chemo? Is that what you did?

When I went to treatment the other day, the Cancer Center that I go to is having a celebration every day this month for Breast Cancer Month. They had all kinds of breakfast foods while I was there and they were seving lunch and dinner to the people who were there at those times. Pink balloons all over ...all social workers dressed in pink...so pleasant.

I also went to the "Look good..Fell Better" workshop this week. That was fun. I got a whole bag of makeup donated by Estee Lauder, Revlon..to name a couple. The Panera breads donated cranberry and orange bagels in the shape of breast cancer ribbon.

So at least they make it pleasant for us who have to go there. All I know is only 5 more to go!!!

Good luck for #7 and I will wait to here from you.

Hugs and prayers,
    Candie

--------------------------------
    Life is a Long Song...Jethro Tull
  • SCMartin
    edited October 2006
    Options

Hello Candie and all, Well, the second to last CMF was yesterday and I survived though I was pretty nauseated yesterday. I slept well last night and today I am just slightly nauseaus. One more to go on the 30th. Radiation simulation on the 1st. When I look back to my first chemo on July 24th I NEVER thought I would make it this far. I am so glad I insisted on every two weeks for chemo and also refused the steroids. Now, I just have to tolerate one more. I cried so much all day yesterday because I think I have just about had it and it was my 30th anniversary and the whole day just made me so sad. So, I had my one day pity party and now I am OK! We are allowed days like that, aren't we? I got my last Neulasta shot this morning and I won't need one after the final chemo so one hurdle is over. However, those shots kept my counts way up and let me stay on schedule. I hope all of you are well. Candie, I'm glad you went to all the festivities for breast cancer awareness month. I would have done the same. Listen, you finish in December- it will be here before you know it and just 5 to go. I will be able to tell you all about radiation and what to expect. I think I dread the Arimidex the most and just pray that I can toleratew it well. Keep in touch and hang in there- I think of all the CMF girls so often. Hugs and prayers. Susan

• candie1971
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Yes, Susan,
    we are allowed to cry and have a pity party--we deserve it!!! Only we know what we are going thru.

I had my 8th treatment today---4 more to do. I usually feel good on treatment day but today I am sooo tired I just want to crawl in a hole!!

Yes, Susan you will lead me thru the rads!!!

Hope you are feeling well today.

Hugs and prayers,
    Candie

----------------------
    Life is a Long Song....Jethro Tull
  • SCMartin
    edited October 2006
    Options

Candie, 4 more to go for you- hooray!!! Crawl into that hole if you want. I know the feeling and sometimes you just fell like your whole body is weird. Lets look forward to the days when we feel like us. They are coming soon. Hang in there and have a good weekend. I try to remember that the poisons we are getting are killing the bad guys if we had any left. Hugs to you. Susan

• b445
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Wow you gals are just moving along with treatment.

Yesterday was the 1 year date of my lifechanging masmmogram and tomorrow is the 1 year date from the offical word being spoken to me!

It's been an amazing year! a lumpectomey, 21 weeks of CMF chemo, double pneumonia, blood clots, 6 weeks of rads. 2 grandbabies! and I get to Start my 2nd year off with a DNC! But, all in all I'm alive and fairly healthy and now have four wonderful granchildren and a very supportive family! What more can I ask for except a cure so that no one ever has to go through what we have.

Hugs and prayers and many wonderful blessings to you all
  • elf146
    elf146 Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Hi All
    Glad to find this thread. Have been on the other Chemo board and you are right, most are on A/C so hard to relate.
    I am having Chemo before surgery to try to shrink the tumor and it is working.
    I first started with A/C and after the first treatment I ended up in the hospital for 3 days. I have AFIB and the A/C made it kick in very bad with heart rate over 170.
    My oncologist then changed me to CMF and have had one treatment and so much better. No big issues for me. Compared to A/C, I am doing fine. I was scheduled for 4 A/C, but have to do 6 CMF and she counted the first A/C as number one so now only 4 to go. Next one on Halloween. I will finish #6 the first week of Jan., than don't know what is next. Dr. said they would do a scan and take one step at a time.
    I can tell my lump has shrunk by at least 1/2 already. It is amazing.
    So glad to find you all as like I said, I felt lost on the other board with everyone on A/C. So far with CMF my blood counts are fine.
    Thanks to all for all the posts, I have read every one of them and you all are great.
    Hugs and best of luck to each and everyone of you.
    Eva
  • SCMartin
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Cheryl, Congratulations on the one year survivor anniversary!! I am so happy for you and it sounds like life may be getting back to a new normal. You have beeen a big help to us going through CMF and we all appreciate the support. Two new grand babies is the best part. Thanks again and don't leave us now!! Susan
    Eva, I'm glad you found the CMF gals. Come here anytime for support or to share experiences with us and we all help each other. As you have found, the CMF is so much more tolerable- not wonderful but easier.Great news about the lump shrinking. Take it one step at a time. Get through chemo and then move on to the next part. Stay in touch and stay well. Susan
  • candie1971
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Cheryl, congrats to you!
    Eva, glad you found us. It's not a picnic but doable.

I have 4 more treatments to go then on to rads!!

Glad you are all with me.

Hugs and prayers,
    Candie
  • peachy49
    peachy49 Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2006
    Options

Hi, in response to your post about CMF vs AC. I have not yet found out if I'll need chemo (just had surgery), but I have several conditions that my onco is concerned about giving me any chemo. I have liver disease and mitral valve prolapse which that is treated with Digoxin, an anti-arrythmic. I can't even take Tamoxifen and have to have ooph. so that I may try an AI (not too crazy about that either).. Also I am going to be 50 in Dec. My body is not in good shape. So, is the CMF the least likely to cause heart problems and how are you doing? My mom is on Methotrexate and Levocourin for end stage RA. She doesn't have the nausea too bad, but she gets diarreah and fatigue. The only problem is that methotrexate has liver toxicity and has to be really monitored closely. Any input greatly appreciated.. Wishing you the best..

• SCMartin
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Dear Peachy, I have had 7 of 8 CMF treatments. All IV infusion every two weeks. As far as I know, there is not toxicity to the heart. Yes, the Methotrexate can cause liver enzymes to rise. I get an anti-nausea drug, Aloxi before each infusion. The nausea for me has been tolerable- mostly a queasy feeling. All in all, i think I have tolerated the CMF quite well and am ready to have my last one next Monday. I did not lose my hair though it does not grow as fast. I get a Neulasta shot the day after each treatment and my white blood cell count has remained high. I am grateful that i was able to get CMF and not Adriamycin. I am 53 years old. I will start radiation Nov. 13th and Arimidex at that time. I was stage IIA, node negative and had a lumpectomy for a 2.2cm. I am 95%Estrogen positive. I have fatigue a bit for about three days after chemo but I manage to excersize every day. E-mail me if you have any questions- scmknicks@aol.com. Stay positive and maybe you won't need chemo at all.I will wish that for you!!!! Susan
  • SCMartin
    edited October 2006
    Options

Hello all CMF girls. Hope everyone is OK and having a good week. Just checking in on the group. Let me know how you are doing! Susan