Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CMF Question

Options

Comments

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited August 2006
    Options

As kats said..have them watch your liver panels..I experienced liver damage from it...

• straykat
    straykat Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Am glad to see that this thread is being kept active. Let's remember to bump it every so often if there aren't many replies. Evidently there is only a 30 day lifespan for inactive threads. I think we've lost the other one already.

Thanks!

Mimi
  • Sue227
    Sue227 Member Posts: 45
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I agree this thread needs to stay active. It is such good info and was so comforting to me going into my chemo. I just finished #4 of 6 and have visited this tread many times. Thanks to everyone who provided their experiences. I'll add mine. So far I have trouble with heartburn and fatigue but minimal nausea. My hair loss is about 25%, not noticeable to anyone but me and the girl who cuts my hair. Cutting my hair short and in layers has helped. The cytoxan is wrecking havoc with my sinuses, already have had 2 sinus infections but blood counts are always good so I can't really complain. My biggest problem is I pulled a muscle on my left side I think when I was walking and it just won't heal. My onc says we'll watch it and scan it if it doesn't go away soon. Don't know if the chemo has anything to do with the healing process of muscles. It only hurts when I sit down, just annoying. Anyway, CMF is so doable. I wish everyone had as easy of time of it. Good luck.
    Sue
  • SCMartin
    SCMartin Member Posts: 112
    edited August 2006
    Options

Sue, Interesting about the muscle. I have a pulled one on my right side and it is taking awhile to go away. I completed 3of 8 last Monday with #4 to be Sept. 1st. I wondered also if the chemo slows the healing. So far this is tolerable with a few side effects and played 18 holes of golf today and felt great. I think the chemo does help a golf game because I shot an 84. Or maybe it's because some things aren't as important! Anyway, thought I would mention the pulled muscle. Take care. Susan

• Sue227
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Susan, Thanks for telling me, I feel better that someone else is experiencing a delay in healing. Congrats on the 84! Cancer does put everything in perspective. At work they tell me I look better now than I did before dx. I say it is because I no longer let things bother me and when you don't put yourself through all the stress, etc then you automatically look and feel better! Good things do come from the dx I think and my onc agrees, it really changes your whole way of life. Enough philosophy, hang in there and keep up the golf game, you are almost half way finished.
    Sue
  • candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Sue,
    I am having trouble with heartburn this tx. Very tired too. Yesterday I spent the day on the couch watching movies. Couldnt even stand up. Food and anything I drink tastes horrible. I felt like givng up yesterday...but I wont. I am having hair loss --but I keep cutting it and layering it too. Only if you know how thick my hair was would one notice it. I keep telling myself I can get thru this--with all of your help. I know that it can be soooo much worse. At least I can get myself thru work.

Glad your golf game went well!!

Susan--how r u feeling?

Hugs and prayaers,
    Candie
  • SCMartin
    edited August 2006
    Options

Candie, I am sorry you are having heartburn problems. See if you can get a prescription for Nexium. It works great on acid reflux and would clear that up quickly. Candie, I know what you mean about giving up. My #4 will be on Friday and just the thought of going in there makes me sick. I still ask myself how I will get through 5 more!! I can't wait for the time when we all are looking back at this. Lets hang in there and you and Sue and I will make it. Then we can all fret about radiation. Keep in touch- hugs to you! Susan

• SCMartin
    edited August 2006
    Options

Candie, I forgot to add that last time I had chemo I overdid the fluid thing. Since I never do anything in moderation I drank way too much bottled water during the drip. Like probably 5-6 large waters. As I result I cannot even look at a bottled water or any water. I will need to come up with other fluids the next time. I may never drink water again.It triggers nausea immediatly! Good thing I didn't bring wine- I would hate it if I could never drink that again. Susan

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Susan, don't drink wine when you are on CMF..the methotrexate is toxic to the liver and you shouldn't
    add anything to that ...
    For Candie ..I felt the effects were cumulative over the course of the treatment. You come first...if you are tired or not feeling well..rest...there is an end to the tx!!
    Lots of hugs, Lisa
  • kats
    kats Member Posts: 162
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Lisa,
    Very good point to stress NO DRINKING while doing CMF. It's what my Oncologist told me right away. I know you and I both had liver problems due to the Methotrexate.

kats
  • Sue227
    edited August 2006
    Options
    This treatment has been the pits so far! The nausea started Friday evening and like Susan, I can't stand the thought of water! I think because I didn't drink that much Friday evening and Saturday morning, I am feeling worse than usual but the thought of drinking anything makes me sooo sick! I usually take the compazine every 8 hours but have to move that up to 6 I think to prevent the feeling from coming back. I just added a little bit of lemonade to some water and am trying that. I went to the grocery store early this morning to try and find something I felt like drinking or eating. My husband was laughing looking at all the stuff he had to carry up and I just went to the chair and took a nap! I have been so tired also,like you Candie, I have been laying around the house all weekend. Weird the first 3 really weren't that bad until Monday so now I have no idea what to expect tomorrow. Work should be fun...
    I am taking protonix 2 times a day for the heartburn and using maalox and tums as needed (all drs. orders) so the heartburn is alot better this time, so far anyway. 6 weeks (2 more tx) to go and I am finished! I already had my rads, I had mammosite while waiting for the oncotype test to come back. I will have to have my thyroid out though after I recover from chemo, another little bonus they found on my pet scan, I have a tumor in there that the biopsy was inconclusive so, another surgery. Oh well, everything in time. Hang in there Susan and Candie, time really does go by fast and we will get through this.
    Sue
  • b445
    b445 Member Posts: 980
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Looks like most of those who take the CMF haven't done the one I did. It's not even listed in that lick above.
    I took cytoxin tablets daily, with the M & FU by IV drip every monday for 21 weeks. I never had a break from it.

Hope you all handle the CMF well it's not suppose to be as harsh on the person doing it as AC is

best wishes hugs & prayers
  • candie1971
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Sue,
    Sorry to hear about your thyroid.
    I cant stand water either. The last 2 treatments I was also dinking apple juice and orange pineapple juic--this time I cant stand it!! I am trying grape juice today. The thought of taing the pills and water makes me gag. The foods I liked last time I cant eat now. I am wasting more money on food and stuff. Sue, I know what you mean by a bag full of groceries..thats all I do is try different things to eat. When I took a shower on Saturday, the smell of the soap made me gag,too. Water coming out of the faucet makes me sick. It is just so weird. My hair is falling out all over the place. I dread washing it this morning. I usually have to clean the drain 3 times as I am showering. I am not bald yet,tho...hopefully it will just thin....I started with a very thick head of hair. I have 8 more treatments to go and dread every minute of it. Well, I have a 2 week break starting Tues. that will be good I hope. I just keep telling myself that it could be sooo much worse. After completely vegetating all weekend I couldnt sleep last night so today I get to go towork tired. Its a no win situation. We will get thru this together.

Lisa, thanks for your support. Yes, I am learning to take care of me first little by little. something I am not used to doing.

Susan,
    I am going to call onc about heartburn cause it is terrible. I will ask him for prescription--oh great!!
    another prescription, I need to get some stock in the drug companies. Good point about the water...maybe thats what causes the nausea. I have 8 more tx to go...yes, and than we can stress about the rads. Cant wait!!

Just a note to thank all of you. I couldnt be doing this without you.

Oh--here's a tidbit for you. I had a mole under my right eye since birth...it is gone!! dried up and fell off--no scar or anything...guess its the chemo...welll it did something good!!

Hugs and prayers,

Candie
  • SCMartin
    edited August 2006
    Options

Candie, I really hope this week is better for you. Heartburn can be miserable so get something and don't suffer. I am already stressing about my treatment on Friday and it's only Monday! My husband reminds me that it is the half way mark! Sure, easy for him to say! Candie, we'll do this even though we hate every minute of it. Cheryl,it is interesting how we all have different regimines of CMF. I wonder what the deciding factors are. Hugs to all my fellow CMF girls. Susan

• mkl48
    mkl48 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2006
    Options

Who gets CMF rather than AC/Taxol type. Isn't it for less aggressive tumors that are less likely to reoccur because of size or stage-grade?Beth

• SCMartin
    edited August 2006
    Options

Beth, Good question. I was Stage IIa, Grade 1, node negative and estrogen positive. I had a lumpectomy and they obtained clean margins. When I met with my oncologist I asked if he would be comfortable with CMF rather than Adriamycin and he was. I did not want the possible long term cardiac effects from Adriamycin. I also had the oncotype dx tumor test and results put me in the intermediate range for recurrance somewhere. My score was 30 and that was the deciding factor to even have chemo since I was in the grey area for benefit. If I had gotten a low score he would not have recommended chemo at all-just radiation and arimidex. I was familiar with CMF as that was the old standard for breast cancer chemo. I get mine dose dense, all IV every 2 weeks. In my specific case it is just as effective as AC. Hope this answers some of your question. Susan

• kats
    kats Member Posts: 162
    edited August 2006
    Options
    My Oncologist told me if I would have had any postive nodes then I would have had to have AC/T.

I was given CMF because I have very high blood pressure and a strong family history of heart problems. AC was mentioned for me but with Adriamycin the A in AC having the potential to be hard on the heart my Oncologist thought CMF was the better choice seeing as my nodes were negative. He also said my regimen of CMF chemo (day1/day8 6months/12infusions) would be as effective as 4 AC it's the only CMF regimen he will give his patients.

kats
  • HappyTrisha
    HappyTrisha Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2006
    Options

If someone here didn't already tell you, there is a forum here devoted entirely to chemotherapy. You might want to take a look at it and post your questions or concerns there. There is usually a thread for people going through chemo starting in a certain month so you might want to join that group.

• straykat
    straykat Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Trish,

I fully appreciate what you're trying to do, which is to direct those with CMF treatments to post in the Chemo forum.

The problem is that there aren't that many of us and our CMF concerns get lost in the Chemo forum; for example, this thread was started on 1/24/06 and has 168 replies. The January 2006 thread on the Chemo forum has had 1981 replies.

The Do I Do CMF or AC? thread was started on 7/12/06 and has had 37 replies; the July thread in the Chemo forum has had 332 replies. I realize that this thread is simply asking a question, but it's a question about an option that few of us have been given and might be best answered here. I suppose we could ask for a CMF forum, but these boards are getting pretty unwieldy with the new additions as it is.

Unless directed to do otherwise by Melissa, I'm going to bump this thread whenever I see it getting close to being closed after thirty days without action. It's simply too important to those of us who run the risk of getting lost in the shuffle. These threads have been our lifelines.

Mimi
  • candie1971
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Susan,
    I wish you well for Friday--u will be fine!!
    For this round my last pills are tomorrow (yeah!!) and I am off til Sept 13th. Is your hair thinning at all?

Beth,
    My bc is Stage 2 Grade 2 nodes clean. I had 2 onc opinions. One said to do AC. The other (recommended by my surgeon whom I love) said AC was too strong for my bc. He suggested CMF (i take the C by mouth every day for 2 weeks and the MF by IV on day 1 and 8) total of 12 treatments over 6 months as I am 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. He showed me statistics that show the results are the same for my stage and grade and the side effects are not as bad. He also says that once you do AC you cannot do it again--hence I am doing CMF. I also felt much more comfortable with him than the other onc. I was confused at first but when I did research, asked questions here and I feel I made the right choice for me.

Trich I have joined the other threads also and the chat room too. All have been extremely helpful to me in making all the decisions I have had to made. And of course, as you know, the support is awesome.

Hugs and prayers,
    Candie
  • candie1971
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Oh! I have a question.

On the back of my head--near my neck--it is constantly itching. Is that from my hair thinning?

thanks,
    Candie
  • HappyTrisha
    HappyTrisha Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Gang - do what you need to do. The important thing is that you get the answers you need.

Trisha
  • SCMartin
    edited August 2006
    Options

Candie, Yea, two weeks off for you! I hope it is side effect free and you can enjoy the time. I'm getting in my I have to have chemo in four days mood. My poor husband- I think I take it out on him the most. My hair has not thinned that I can notice. We'll see after #4. I do have a small mouth sore- actually I burnt the roof of my mouth the night before chemo on a piece of pizza last time and it hasn't really healed. I just got the magic mouthwash so I'll see if that works. Great, one more thing to take! Stay in touch. Susan

• b445
    b445 Member Posts: 980
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Yeah Mimi!
    I looked all over for a CMF thread when I can into to the chemo part back in Dec '05. I'm very glad that this one is here now and I will also be watching to make sure it satys active!
    I may be done with the chemo and the rads But I feel it's important for those who follow have a place to go for specific and non-specific CMF questions and experences.

You are all my sisters in CMF as well as BC, It makes a difference!
    hugs & prayers

oh Candie,
    I too had the itching all over my head. Dry skin from the chemo! Great huh!
  • Marcia320
    Marcia320 Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Hi All,
    Haven't been on the boards much lately and can't even remember when I posted last. I''ve just been reading up on the fellow CMF'ers. I am so glad that this thread is still going strong. It is so important - it so hard to find any info on it - anywhere. I found it half way through my treatments and I am so glad I did. It truly helped me out and I hope it does for all of you.
    It looks like those of you who are going through it now are hanging in there, giving each other support and learning from things that we went through.

Just want to say good luck to all of you and though I don't post, my thoughts are with you.

Look into Nioxxin for the thinning hair - worked great for me. And I can't stress the anti-nausea meds and stool softeners enough. And for those going on to rads - good luck! I had no problems at all.
    Take care
  • candie1971
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Susan,
    Just a note to wish you good luck tommorrow for your treatment.

Hugs and prayers,
    Candie
  • candie1971
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Hi friends,

Well I called my onc yesterday. The heartburn was sooo bad--he said to use something over the counter and to use it till I am done with chemo everyday to prevent permanate damage to esophagus. Also the back of head is extemely itchy--he said it dry scalp due to chemo and to use hydrocrtisone cream or benadryl topical. Hope you are all well.

Hugs and prayers,'
    Candie
  • SCMartin
    edited August 2006
    Options

Hi Candie, Thanks so much for the support and thoughts. I am so sorry to hear the heartburn is still a problem. I hope what you take will work for you as I want you to enjoy your time off from chemo. I can't believe I will be halfway done after tomorrow. I hope my counts are good in the morning and then i can go into my b---- mode during chemo. The worst part is my husband is CEO of the hospital and I think after I leave he has to do damage control because I am the patient from hell.

• SCMartin
    edited August 2006
    Options

I didn't finish that post. Candie, thanks again and Marcia, how nice of you to check in with us and give us encouragement. I use all the Nioxin products too and so far, so good . Thank-you again for your support. This board has been a life-saver for all of us. Susan

• Sue227
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Cheryl and Marcia, I can't wait to be where you are.
    I also am using the Nioxin products and they seem to be helping. I continue to lose hair, just a little each day but noticable to anyone but me, so I don't know if it would be worse if I wasn't using this. The nausea this last time was so bad, I have been taking compazine but it seems to wear off too quickly so I am going to ask for something else when I go for the next one in 2 weeks. What are all of you taking for nausea? Have a nice holiday weekend.
    Sue