Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How Many Stage 4 Girls are getting SS disability..

Options

Comments

• Shepgirl
    Shepgirl Member Posts: 28
    edited October 2006
    Options
    Yes, the date is the day your are determined "disable" (unable to work). But for many ladies who are already out of significant work or self employed (earn less than $880 a month) - they seem to use the dx date.

Good Luck! Sounds like most folks are getting the approval in 4-6 weeks or less. CatGirl three months is too long.....something got it held up!
  • PJB
    PJB Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2006
    Options

bump

• DEAK95
    DEAK95 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Pinkyreeny,
    Sorry for the delay in my response. I was off the computer for a few days since we got new carpet and had to disconnect the computer. The medical records are those that diagnosed your Stage IV status such as MRI, PET Scans, and surgery reports and so forth. Bloodwork itself does not diagnose cancer. I had copies of all these and sent these in with the SSDI paperwork md releases that were sent to me for signatures. They were returned a few days later. I stopped working in Dec 2005 and my SSDI $$ were started for the month of May 2006 after a 5 month waiting period. Good Luck to you. Pat
  • shelliks
    shelliks Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I received approval yesterday. My last day worked was in May, I applied in August (LTD carrier requested the application so they can reduce the claim amount) and payment begins in December for the month of November.

The amount they are paying is identical to my last annual SS statement, but does not include a payment for the children. They asked me to call them about the children's eligibility and I have left 2 messages. No return calls.

Next step is to call my disability carrier and tell them the SSDI payments are on the way.
  • Shepgirl
    edited November 2006
    Options

FYI- I had to apply for the kids separately but they did it in the same interview. Both claims were approved at the same time. I put the kids in my hubby's name. They told me its LESS paperwork from him when I die.

• KariLynn
    KariLynn Member Posts: 41
    edited November 2006
    Options

I wonder if I can change that - they're in my name but I can see that helping out. Of course, I have every intention of living until they're all well past the age to receive!!

• shelliks
    shelliks Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I don't quite understand how and when the children receive benefits. Does anyone know the answer to:

1. If they receive benefits (that my ltd carrier gets to subtract from my claim)while I'm living but disabled, do they get less money upon my death?

2. If the answer to that is yes, can I avoid getting any money for the children right now? What do you mean when you say they are "in your name" or "in your husband's name?"

Cancer, COBRA, disability insurance, SSDI, life insurance....man, this is a full-time job.
  • KariLynn
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Shelli - think the death benefit is the same as the disability benefit for kids - there's not a "cap" so I don't believe they will get less because they are getting it now.

Do the checks (or stubs) come in your name for them? That would be in your name - if they come in your husbands name for them, it's in his. There's a word for who's responsible for the minor's payments, but I forget it. I am that person for my kids.
  • Shepgirl
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Shelli; I'm not sure how your ltd carrier impacts SSDI but here how it works for my kids.

1.) Filed the kids SSDI forms at the same time as mine. Kids and mine came through at the same time. The kids also received a lump sum for the 12 month backlog. In our case, the kid's amount is the remaining money after my payment up to the family max. They took my benefit and subtracted that from our family max. Each child splits the remaining money.

2.) When I die, if the kids are still under 18 (it might be 19?) . The kids get 70% of my disability payment and also keep their current payment. My hubby will have to inform SS of my death and the SSDI automatically converts to surviver benefits. The family max amount IS DIFFERENT between SSDI and Surviver benefits. (BTW- that took a lot of phone calls to find that OUT!!) Our family max for surviver benefits is higher. However in our case the money will most likely decline slightly upon my death. This is because my hubby makes too much to qualify for the additional surviver benefits. Some hubbys can get surviver benefits when caring for your minor children; but there is an income restriction.

Hope this helps.
  • ChicoTrish
    ChicoTrish Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2006
    Options

bump.

• GailAnne7
    GailAnne7 Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I've had a heck of a time with filing. First I tried on line and the system said the info I entered did not match their records so I could not continue. Then I tried calling and twice, I could not do it over the phone because there whole system was down both times I called. Yikes! Maybe I should just go to the office and hunker down until a person will talk to me;(
    Take Care
    Gail in NJ
  • carleykaye
    carleykaye Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2006
    Options

I HAVE APPLIED, HAVEN'T HEARD YET, AM WAITING TO START MY CHEMO, CANCER HAS SPREAD TO BACK & HIPS, WONDERING IF ANY OF THESE PROGRAMS PLAN ON RESPONDING

• pinkyreeny
    pinkyreeny Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Quote:

After 24 months on SSDI, you become eligible for Medicare.

Do you, or anyone, know if it's required that you go on Medicare? Or only if you need/want to?

I had to get a copy of my Birth Certificate and it arrived today.
  • catgirl
    catgirl Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Finally I got approval and check. They considered me disabled since Oct 2005(when I was first diagnosed). They paid retro since April of 2006. I applied in Aug and found out one of the hospitals had not sent back the paperwork and that is what held everything up. I called the hospital and they said "oh ya were behind on that" I told them that SSD was going to deny by claim because they didn't get paperwork back from them.
    I suggest that everyone that applies get the necessary paperwork yourself and send it in so they get it on time.
  • KariLynn
    edited December 2006
    Options

Glad you got it all straightened out!

• Shepgirl
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Second that- did not trust hospital to send records! I copied and sent them all myself. I know it was the reason that mine turn around in less than 4 wks!

Congrats! Nice Christmas Gift!
  • AmryAnn47
    AmryAnn47 Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Hi Pinkyreenie,
    I have been on SSD for two years now and will be eligible for Medicare Feb 1st. SS will send you a Medicare card automatically about 3 months before you are eligible. On the back of the form, they have a place for you to decline altogether or they also ask if you have another insurance that you wish to keep in conjuction with Medicare. It is up to you. But, if your current health insurance finds out you are eligible for Medicare, they may cancel out--at least that is what happened to a friend of mine several years ago.
    Because I am self employed, my insurance premiums just went up to almost $900 a month so I can no longer afford it and am relieved to be eligible for Medicare although in TX, a disabled person is only eligible for the A Medigap policy and so far I haven't found a company that I can afford that will take me because I am not yet 2 years out from "active treatment"--chemo ended 3/28/05 and rads ended 6/27/05, and my agent is unsure if Zometa is considered "active" treatment ot not--he is checking to find out. The HMO's like Secure Horizons, etc, won't accept you until you are 65 when they have to .
    I hope this helps.
  • Bimmer
    Bimmer Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2006
    Options

We applied online and they rushed it thru because she was Stage IV. It took about a month or 6 weeks to get all approved. She gets $240 per month starting in April..

• PineHouse
    PineHouse Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I'm seriously considering perm disability (SSDI), but nervous about not getting approved. I'm currently still getting paid full time while on Avastin/Taxol, but it's getting to be draining.

Does anyone know if retaining an attorney would increase the chance of being approved? My mets does not affect any vital organ yet (pleura/chest cavity) and seems to be responding to treatment. My mets was diagnosed Jun 2006, treatment started Aug 2006.

Do I need to quit my job or can I be on medical leave?

Has anyone in California done this? Can I apply for SDI (state disability) at the same time? The SDI payment will somewhat help since social security payment does not come in until 6months later. But can I apply for SDI if my intention is "long term" disability?

Thanks much!
    Lani
  • Shepgirl
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Lani, wish I could help. I would assume an Attorney would not help unless you are rejected.

You the phone interview and get all your records YOURSELF. Then hope for the best. If rejected, then you might want to talk to your Attorney.

Cheers
  • flea
    flea Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2006
    Options

Shepgirl, I applied in Mid-November and recently got an automated phone message saying that it was being processed. Thanks for the private message about that because I did end up having a phone appointment with a very nice lady and was sent some papers I had to fill out and send back. In the meantime, I started getting LTD from a private insurance company, Hartford. I paid extra for it at my job, not knowing I would need it someday. I'm glad I did now. I no longer work.

• pinkyreeny
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Well, I got a call from the SS Office today, telling me I don't qualify because it's been too long since I held a paying job. The medical info was not looked at.

I asked about appealing with the medical info in hand and was told I have the right to appeal. The SS Worker wasn't very encouraging that it would work, though.
  • KariLynn
    edited January 2007
    Options

Pinky, that's why I applied even though I was a stay-at-home mom at the time. You have to work so many of the last 10 years and I was afraid if I waited until I was ready to go back to work (kids in school) and found out I couldn't work f/t, I'd be SOL.

• pinkyreeny
    edited January 2007
    Options

My original diagnosis came after my eligebility was up.

• AO44
    AO44 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2007
    Options

Hi Ladies, I'm a bit confused. Do you have to be totally unable to work in order to collect?

• KariLynn
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I think you have to be unable to work full time. Or at least unable to work enough to mke a sertain amount each month.

You can go to the SSI webpage and get more info.
  • denny123
    denny123 Member Posts: 1,454
    edited January 2007
    Options

I have been on SSD since my bi-lat mast, and was told that I could earn up to $600 a month and still receive my full benefits.

• Shepgirl
    edited January 2007
    Options

You can work but can not exceed a certain amount. I thought that amt was $820 per month. BUT PLEASE CHECK FIRST for Denise had another fiqure.

• Shepgirl
    edited January 2007
    Options
    BTW- Has anyone been on SSD long enough for Medicad to kick in.... something about 18 months on SSD you are eligible to use it as a second insurance.

Any one have more information?
  • LuAnnH
    LuAnnH Member Posts: 348
    edited January 2007
    Options
    When I checked out my benefits it was $820. I am electing not to go to SSD just yet. I enjoy my job and really like having a purpose to get up everyday. I know I could find plenty to do if I didn't work, but I would rather have that social interaction daily. It does wonders for my well being!

LuAnn