Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Illinois ladies facing bc

Options

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,401
    Options

Education is more than schooling.  It is a cast of mind, a willingness to see the world with an endless sense of curiosity and wonder.  If you would be truly educated, you must adopt this cast of mind.  You must open yourself to the richness of your everyday experience--to your own emotions, to the movements of the heavens and the languages of birds, to the privations and successes of people in other lands and other times, to the artistry in the hands of the mechanic and the typist and the child.  There is no limit to the learning that appears before us.  It is enough to fill us each day a thousand times over.

Kent Nerburn

• illinoislady
    Options

Personal prayer, it seems to me, is one of the simplest necessities of life, as basic to the individual as sunshine, food and water--and at times, of course, more so. By prayer I mean an effort to get in touch with the Infinite. We know that our prayers are imperfect. Of course they are. We are imperfect human beings. A thousand experiences have convinced me beyond room of doubt that prayer multiplies the strength of the individual and brings within the scope of his capabilities almost any conceivable objective .Dwight D. Eisenhower

• illinoislady
    edited January 20
    Options

Beautiful Perspective: As to the kindness you mention, I wish I could have been of more service to you than I have been, but if I had, the only thanks that I should desire are that you would always be ready to serve any other person that may need your assistance, and so let good offices go around, for humankind are all of a family. As for my own part, when I am employed in serving others, I do not look upon myself as conferring favors but paying debts. Benjamin Franklin

• illinoislady
    Options

The great lesson from the true mystics is that the sacred
    is in the ordinary, that it is to be found in one's daily life,
    in one's neighbors, friends, and family, in one's backyard.

Abraham H. Maslow

• illinoislady
    Options

With every thought, feeling, word, and action of today, I shape the memories of tomorrow. So I give my attention to God and to making today the best day ever. If sad memories do creep in today, I bathe them in the light of love so that they fade away. Many experiences have brought me to where I am right now. I am free to release everything to God and live today fully, joyously, and creatively. I see myself and all others as God created us to be—spiritual beings that remain whole and holy.  -unattributed

• illinoislady
    Options

There are no secrets of success. Success is doing thethings you know you should do. Success is not doing the things you know you shouldn’t do. Success is not limited to any one area of your life. It encompasses all the facets of your relationships: as parent, as wife or husband, as citizen, neighbor, worker and all of the others. Success is not confined to any one part of your personality but is related to the development of all the parts: body, mind, heart and spirit. It is making the most of your total self. Wilferd A. Peterson

• illinoislady
    Options

When we recognize that nothing has to go right for us to be happy, that people do not have to behave for us to love them, our walk home can be surprisingly simple. We have enormous power not to manipulate the world, but to be happy and know peace.   -Hugh Prather

• illinoislady
    Options

Now, I experience the love in everyone. I no longer am a person who judges others for being overweight, for being too young or too old, for having their hair a certain way, or for how they dress. When you judge others, you don’t define them, you define yourself as someone who needs to judge and compartmentalize people. My goal is to experience unconditional love and acceptance and joy for everyone, even those who are behaving in ways that I find difficult to accept.    -Wayne Dyer

• illinoislady
    Options

The surface of life is also in a state of constant flux, with good days and bad, victory and defeat. To maintain, as the ocean does, a deep inner calm, while the storms of misfortune, reverses, fears and worries lash at the surface of life, is to discover the secret of serenity.
    Years ago, when Thomas Edison's factory burned down, he wasted no time bemoaning his fate.  Immediately after the disaster the reporters found a calm, quiet man already at work on plans for a new building.
    When Emerson's home was destroyed by fire and his precious books were being reduced to ashes, Louisa May Alcott came to console him. The great philosopher said, "Yes, yes, Louisa, they are all gone, but let us enjoy the blaze now.  Isn't it beautiful!"
    Some people are ocean personalities.  In their inner depths they are not defeated by what happens to them.
    The towering waves of circumstances cannot reach us when we go deep within to seek the peace that passes all understanding.  While the surface of life is in turmoil we can find an inner calmness to see us through.

Wilferd A. Peterson

• illinoislady
    Options

Always follow these two rules:  first, act only on what your reasoning mind proposes
    for the good of humanity, and second, change your opinion if someone shows
    you it’s wrong.  This change of mind must proceed only from the conviction that it’s
    both correct and for the common good, but not because it will give you
    pleasure and make you popular.

Marcus Aurelius

• illinoislady
    Options

You are goodness and mercy and compassion and understanding.  You are
    peace and joy and light.  You are forgiveness and patience, strength and
    courage, a helper in time of need, a comforter in time of sorrow, a healer
    in time of injury, a teacher in times of confusion.  You are the deepest
    wisdom and the highest truth; the greatest peace and the grandest love.
    You are these things.  And in moments of your life you have
    known yourself as these things.
    Choose now to know yourself as these things always.

Neale Donald Walsch

• illinoislady
    Options

And when we come to think of it, goodness is uneventful. It does not flash, it glows. It is deep, quiet, and very simple. It passes not with oratory, it is commonly foreign to riches, nor does it often sit in the places of the mighty: but may be felt in the touch of a friendly hand or the look of a kindly eye . David Grayson

• illinoislady
    Options

Let me not be tied down to property or praise and I shall be free. Free from the nagging ache of envy. Free from the hurts of resentment. Free to love all and forgive all. Free to do and say what is right, regardless of the unpopularity. Free to wander everywhere as inspiration guides me.  -Francis of Assisi

• illinoislady
    Options

Desire nothing for yourself which you do not desire for others.   -Baruch Spinoza

• illinoislady
    Options

Nature is another important aspect of nourishing the soul.  After a hike in the mountains where we live, for instance, I feel a remarkable sense of gratitude and awe.  My mind quiets down and allows me to see more clearly the beauty of creation.  And through that gratitude, the beauty of the universe is reflected back to the creator.

Joan Borysenko

• illinoislady
    Options

If we pretend to be more enlightened than we really are, we will miss an opportunity to heal ourselves.  Admitting our limitations can make us feel vulnerable, yet it is very freeing.  We just have to be ourselves as we are now, accepting the mixture of enlightened awareness and human limitation that is in each of us.  Through this self-acceptance, we find a deep peace and self-love.   -Shakti Gawain

• illinoislady
    Options

Generally speaking, if we view human nature as dominated by
    destructive tendencies, our ethics will most likely be grounded in
    something outside ourselves.  We will understand ethics as a means
    for keeping those destructive tendencies in check in the name of
    some greater good.  If, however, we view human nature as
    predominantly oriented toward kindness and the desire for a peaceful
    life, then we can consider ethics an entirely natural and rational means
    for pursuing our innate potential.  On this understanding, ethics consists
    less of rules to be obeyed than of principles for inner self-regulation to
    promote those aspects of our nature which we recognize as conducive
    to our own well-being and that of others.  This second approach
    is in tune with my own.

The Dalai Lama

• illinoislady
    Options

Throughout our lives, the moment we bring our awareness fully into
    the Now, we enter the domain of the true self, and our immediate
    conscious reality is once again that of sensation and perception.  As
    I sit in the park, the sunlight brightens the leaves and casts shadows
    on the ground. I have a feeling of contentment.  And as long as “I”
    don’t create stories about what I am seeing or about the fact that I
    am feeling content, which leads me away from my immediate experience,
    what I experience remains simply perception and sensation.  The same is
    true for any feeling, any emotion. In the Now, it is just what it is.  In the
    Now, I “go back” to my original awareness “by the way that [I] have
    come.”  When we directly perceive and experience whatever is present
    in our larger fields of awareness, it is possible to have a relationship with
    it without becoming lost in it or defined by it.

Richard Moss
    The Mandala of Being

• illinoislady
    Options

A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good, and who are not accustomed to have it done to them; then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor--such is my idea of happiness. Léo Tolstoy

• illinoislady
    Options

Each person takes care that his neighbor shall not cheat him or her. But a day comes when we begin to care that we do not cheat our neighbors. Then all goes well. We have changed our market-cart into a chariot of the sun.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• illinoislady
    Options

All that we are is the result of what we have thought; it is founded upon our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If one speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows that person, as the wheel follows the foot of the ox that draws the carriage. If one speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows that person, like a shadow that never leaves.    -Gautama Buddha

• illinoislady
    Options

When one has reverence for life, one will never do anything
    to harm, hinder, or destroy life. Instead one bends every
    effort to help life to fulfill its highest destiny. One strives to
    maintain, enhance, and assist life to make the most of itself.

Wilferd A. Peterson

• illinoislady
    Options

We are not human beings having
    a spiritual experience.  We are
    spiritual beings having a
    human experience.

Teilhard de Chardin

• illinoislady
    Options

Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything that is beautiful; for beauty is God’s handwriting—a wayside sacrament.  Welcome it in every fair face, in every fair sky, in every fair flower, and thank God for it as a cup of blessing.    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

• illinoislady
    Options

The little troubles and worries of life, so many of which we meet, may be as stumbling blocks in our way, or we may make them stepping-stones to a noble character and to Heaven.  Troubles are often the tools by which God fashions us for better things.

Henry Ward Beecher

• illinoislady
    Options

There are simple antidotes to complacency.  Gratitude is one of them.  Every morning we can take a few moments to appreciate all the goodness in our lives.  Another powerful antidote is taking the time to consciously contact our Higher Power.  God is always available to help us; we simply have to open the door.  Sharing hope with others is perhaps the most powerful of the antidotes because it helps at least two people—ourselves and the listener who hears our story.    -unattributed

• illinoislady
    Options

There is a rhythm in life, a certain beauty which operates by a variation of lights and shadows, happiness alternating with sorrow, content with discontent, distilling in this process of contrast a sense of satisfaction, of richness that can be captured and pinned down only by those who possess the gift of awareness.

Louis Broomfield

• illinoislady
    Options

If I keep my eyes open, I see bugs and snakes and intricate
    tiny flowers and cool rocks and nice smiles and beautiful
    architecture and gentle kindness.  If I keep my heart young
    I notice great places to play, nice sunsets, cool hideouts,
    neat ice formations, and strange and unusual birds and animals.
    Life is never ordinary.  We can make it seem ordinary
    by closing our eyes and hearts to its wonder, but that's not
    life's fault.  I prefer to notice the little things and then leave
    them be--never trying to take them with me or preserve
    them--because that's what life's supposed to be, and
    that's what makes me happy and keeps away disappointment.

tom walsh

• illinoislady
    Options

We must work on our souls, enlarging and expanding them.  We do so by experiencing all of life-- the beauty and the joy as well as the grief and pain.  Soul work requires paying attention to life, to the laughter and the sorrow, the enlightening and the frightening, the inspiring and the silly.

Matthew Fox

• illinoislady
    Options

I intend to go on with my life by living it, not by buying
    into some notion that I no longer have the potential to
    become still better.  I refuse to take seriously society's
    idea that at the arbitrary age of 65 I am
    suddenly a lamp going out.

Roger S. Mills