Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Illinois ladies facing bc

Options

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,391
    Options

Love is the great transformer, turning ambition into aspiration,
    selfishness into service, greed into gratitude,
    getting into giving and demands into dedication.

unattributed

• illinoislady
    Options

Have confidence in the Truth, although you may not be able to comprehend it, although you may suppose its sweetness to be bitter, although you may shrink from it at first. Trust in the Truth. . . . Have faith in the Truth and live it. the Buddha

• illinoislady
    Options

Optimism is a strategy for making a better future.  Because unless you believe that the future can be better, you are unlikely to step up and take responsibility for making it so.

Noam Chomsky

• illinoislady
    Options

While great brilliance and intellect are to be admired, they cannot dry
    one tear or mend a broken spirit.  Only kindness can accomplish this.

John M. Drescher

• illinoislady
    Options

Every word carries a vibration that sent out, comes back. A cutting word destroys what a sweet word heals. One spoken word can make or mar the destiny of a being. When heart is put into a word, the word encompasses the totality of love and brings love back. When a word is without heart, it is cold and empty and will bring back cold and emptiness.   -Cheryl Canfield

• illinoislady
    Options

We were made to enjoy music, to enjoy beautiful sunsets, to enjoy looking at the billows of the sea and to be thrilled with a rose that is bedecked by dew. . . . Human beings are actually created for the transcendent, for the sublime, for the beautiful, for the truthful. . . and all of us are given the task of trying to make this world a little more hospitable to these beautiful things.

Desmond Tutu

• illinoislady
    Options

Life is a thing of many stages and moving parts.  What we do with ease at one time of life we can hardly manage at another.  What we could not fathom doing when we were young, we find great joy in when we are old.  Like the seasons through which we move, life itself is a never-ending series of harvests, a different fruit for every time.

Joan Chittister

• illinoislady
    Options

If you can’t change everything all at once, then at least work on changing
    something each day.  Become aggressive in your battle with the ego.
    You probably don’t need all the things that it wants.  You need hope,
    discipline, creative expression, love, and serenity—these are the important
    things.  Remember, when you are balanced, one stepping stone
    will lead you to the next.  But you will rarely see the whole journey
    or all the answers at once.

Stuart Wilde

• illinoislady
    Options

Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas. -Calvin Coolidge

• illinoislady
    Options

Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas.

Peg Bracken

• illinoislady
    Options

Enthusiasm is the thing which makes the world go round. Without its driving power, nothing worth doing has ever been done. Love, friendship, religion, altruism, devotion to career or hobby—all these, and most of the other good things of life, are forms of enthusiasm. -Robert H. Schauffler

• illinoislady
    Options

The true Light is a gentle love which, rising in you, causes you to look on the world with understanding and compassion and respect. When you respect the souls of your brother and sister, you respect their lives in every way. This gentle spirit, this respect one for another, must come. For this is the generation of the one true Light, and this true light is that of love. White Eagle

• illinoislady
    Options

You can't travel the back roads very long without discovering a multitude of gentle people doing good for others with no expectation of gain or recognition.  The everyday kindness of the back roads more than makes up for the acts of greed in the headlines.  Some people out there spend their whole lives selflessly.

Charles Kuralt

• illinoislady
    Options

"Remember that life's most valuable antiques are dear old friends."

-- H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

• illinoislady
    Options

Few of us, indeed, realize the wonderful privilege of living;
    the blessings we inherit, the glories and the beauties of
    the universe, which is our own if we choose to have it so;
    the extent to which we can make ourselves what we wish
    to be; or the power we possess of securing peace,
    of triumphing over pain and sorrow.

John Lubbock

• illinoislady
    Options

Today, I choose awareness.
    I choose to be aware of the beauty of life and living.
    I choose to be aware of the simple truths in life.
    I choose to be aware of the simple pleasures in life.
    I choose awareness of joy.
    I choose awareness of peace.
    I choose awareness of love.
    I choose to see, to feel, to know,
    the presence of divine energy
    in myself and those around me.
    Today, I choose to be aware and to embrace all that is good,
    noble, and divine.
    As my awareness of joy, peace, love, and goodness grows in my
    consciousness, joy, peace, love, and goodness
    become the reality in which I live.
    For this I am so grateful!
    And So It Is!

Iyanla Vanzant

• illinoislady
    Options

We are given a life—a precious commodity—and are placed on this earth for a short while. We are surrounded by incredible beauty, strength, and love along with incredible violence, hatred, and prejudice. Every time a person becomes happier, they are moving one step away from prejudice and violence and closer to love and compassion. So think of your personal joy as a contribution to peace on the planet as well as food for your spirit.   -Charlotte Davis Kasl

• illinoislady
    Options

How will you use the years God gives you? Will you be remembered for being a fault-finder? Or will you be known for your quick smile, the laugh lines around your eyes, and the twinkle deep within? After all, the Lord gives you your face, but you provide the expression.  -Barbara Johnson

• illinoislady
    Options

Do we need to make a special effort to enjoy the beauty of the blue sky?
    Do we have to practice to be able to enjoy it?  No, we just enjoy it.
    Each second, each minute of our lives can be like this.
    Wherever we are, any time, we have the capacity to enjoy the sunshine,
    the presence of each other, even the sensation of our breathing.
    We don't need to go to China to enjoy the blue sky.
    We don't have to travel into the future to enjoy our breathing.
    We can be in touch with these things right now.

Thich Nhat Hanh

• illinoislady
    Options

As we weave the tapestries of our lives, we gradually begin to see our designs from a wider angle of years. We may or may not be pleased with what we see. Yet, no design--not in the living world--is carved in stone. We have the gift of free will to change our designs as we wish. We are each a thread in the tapestry of our human family. Our outcome is woven of endless possibilities, because we can choose from a universe of endless possibilities. Every person can make a difference. Each thread is a possibility, chosen by the design of divine imagination. Our life-time designs arise from our divine gifts, unique talents, desires, thoughts, choices, and actions. At times, old choices--old threads--wear out. We see the past while we live in the present, and we can replace the old...with new ideas, new choices, and new actions. We can view the future through today's eyes, and time blends all experiences, dark and light, into an awareness of authentic joy. May you live joyfully and abundantly today and throughout every season of life!

Steve Brunkhorst

• illinoislady
    Options

• The ideals which have guided my way, and time after time have given me the energy to face life, have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth. Albert Einstein

• illinoislady
    Options

You will always have to live with yourself, and it is to your best
    interest to see that you have good company -- a clean, pure,
    straight, honest, upright, generous, magnanimous companion.

Orison Swett Marden

• illinoislady
    Options

Year by year the complexities of this spinning world grow
    more bewildering and so each year we need all the more
    to seek peace and comfort in the joyful simplicities.

Woman's Home Companion (1935)

• illinoislady
    Options

A greater poverty than that caused by lack of money is the poverty of unawareness.  Men and women go about the world unaware of the beauty, the goodness, and the glories in it. Their souls are poor. It is better to have a poor pocketbook than to suffer from a poor soul.

Jerry Fleishman

• illinoislady
    Options

When you stand and share your story in an empowering way, your
    story will heal you and your story will heal somebody else.

Iyanla Vanzant

• illinoislady
    Options

When you commit yourself to living love, you feel at peace
    with yourself because you are at harmony with the flow of life.
    Viewing life from the highest perspective, you feel confident
    and secure.  You realize that no matter how things may
    appear, you are loved and protected.  You know you are one
    with God, and you bring your peace with you wherever you go.
    You’re not looking for love, but for opportunities to love.

Susan L. Taylor

• illinoislady
    Options

Life offers its wisdom generously.  Everything teaches.  Not everyone learns.  Life asks of us the same thing we have been asked in every class:  "Stay awake."  "Pay attention."  But paying attention is no simple matter.  It requires us not to be distracted by expectations, past experiences, labels, and masks.  It asks that we not jump to early conclusions and that we remain open to surprise.

Rachel Naomi Remen

• illinoislady
    Options

It can be tempting to blame others for our loss of direction.  We get lots of information about life but little education in life from parents, teachers, and other authority figures, who should know better from their experience. Information is about facts.  Education is about wisdom and the knowledge of how to love and survive.  But no matter how much advice you get, you are the one who chooses which train to board.  As you pass through life, pay attention to the signs and stations; if you don't like the scenery, pull the emergency cord and get off the train. There is no other conductor in charge.  There is no one who needs to give you permission to transfer.  This is your life. Your journey. Your trip to conduct.

Bernie Siegel

• illinoislady
    Options

Goodness consists not in the outward things we do, but in the inward thing we are. To be good is the great thing. Edwin H. Chapin

• illinoislady
    Options

We’ve been invited to participate in this life, to be present, one to another, and that’s all that’s expected of us. Our successes may bring us personal joy, but our value as persons lies only in our being. But living fully is more than just making an appearance, here, today. It’s celebrating our oneness—our ties to one another—our need for one another’s presence to complete our own. And we can be celebrants only when we’re involved and fully focused on the experience. We capture life’s gifts, its riches, when we are intent on the moment’s fullness. We miss what we most need when our hearts and minds are distracted.   -unattributed