Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Illinois ladies facing bc

Options

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,382
    Options

Give the best you have received from the past to the best that
    you may come to know in the future.  Accept life daily not as a cup
    to be drained but as a chalice to be filled with whatsoever things are
    honest, pure, lovely, and of good report.  Making a living is best
    undertaken as part of the more important business of making a life.
    Every now and again take a good look at something not made with
    hands—a mountain, a star, the turn of a stream.  There will come
    to you wisdom and patience and solace, and above all the assurance
    that you are not alone in the world.

Sidney Lovett

• illinoislady
    Options

When indeed shall we learn that we are all related one to the other, that we are all members ofone body? Until the spirit of love for our fellow people, regardless of race, color or creed, shall fill the world, making real in our lives and our deeds that actuality of human brother and sisterhood--until the great mass of the people shall be filled with the sense of responsibility for each other's welfare, social justice can never be attained. Helen Keller

• illinoislady
    Options

What choices are you making in your perception of the events around you?
    We choose how we view our times.  There is a pinch of pessimism in our
    culture now.  Counter it with small acts of optimism.
       Pick up a piece of litter that isn't yours.  Show some extra grace on the
    freeway.  Give to your food bank.  Smile at a child who is in your way.
    Help someone you know.  Help someone you don't know.
       The accumulation of small, optimistic acts produces quality in our culture
    and in your life.  Our culture resonates in tense times to individual acts of
    grace.  What's your choice?

Jennifer James

• illinoislady
    Options

Since the beginning of time, never has there been another with my mind,
    my heart, my eyes, my ears, my hands, my hair, my mouth.  None that came
    before, none that live today, and none that come tomorrow can walk and
    talk and move and think exactly like me.  All people are my brothers
    and sisters yet I am different from each.  I am a unique creature.

Og Mandino

• illinoislady
    Options

I choose gentleness.  Nothing is won by force.  I choose to be gentle.
    If I raise my voice may it be only in praise.  If I clench my fist, may it
    be only in prayer.  If I make a demand, may it be only of myself.

Max Lucado

• illinoislady
    Options

Service is closer to generosity than it is to duty. It connects us to one another and to life itself. When we experience our connectedness, serving others becomes the natural and joyful thing to do. Over the long run, fixing and helping are draining but service is renewing. When you serve, your work itself will sustain you, renew you, and bless you, often over many years.   -Rachel Naomi Remen

• illinoislady
    Options

Life's lessons come through failures probably more than successes. Through our failures we learn humility. We learn to look to others for help and guidance. We learn how to let others fail, too. We fail because we are human. When we no longer fear failure, we are free to attempt greater feats. We dare to learn more, and life is fuller for it--not just our own lives, but the lives that we touch. unattributed

• illinoislady
    Options

Do not abandon trust when your ego thinks things should be different than they are. It is better to embrace trust when darkness is present, knowing that light will follow. Begin to look for the lesson in darkness rather than cursing it. Trust allows you simply to observe the dark and unhappy times rather than identifying totally with those aspects of your life.   -Wayne Dyer

• illinoislady
    Options

We humans think we are smart, but an orchid, for example, knows how to produce noble, symmetrical flowers, and a snail knows how to make a beautiful, well-proportioned shell. Compared with their knowledge, ours is not worth much at all. We should bow deeply before the orchid and the snail and join our palms reverently before the monarch butterfly and the magnolia tree. The feeling of respect for all species will help us to recognize the noblest nature in ourselves. -Thich Nhat Hanh

• illinoislady
    Options

Religion in its true sense is the most joyous thing the human soul can know, and when the real religion is realized, we will find it to be an agent of peace, of joy, and of happiness, and never an agent of gloomy, long-faced sadness.

Ralph Waldo Trine

• illinoislady
    Options

Hope is outreaching desire with expectancy of good. It is characteristic of all living beings. Birds, beasts, and people are always alert and striving for the fulfillment of their hungers. They are impelled forward in a ceaseless quest for satisfaction. The antennae of insects relentlessly explore and feel their way ahead, and the imagination of humans functions in the same manner, ranging through wide areas and far futures in search of the good which hope ever promises.    -Edward S. Ames

• illinoislady
    Options

Religion is to be used as a stepping stone to God but it must never be used as a tower to hold one aloft from others. We are all cells in the body of humanity. When anyone attempts to isolate another, they only isolate themselves more.   -Peace Pilgrim

• illinoislady
    Options

The moment you want to make progress is the moment you become an eternal beginner. The dawn is the beginning of a new day: it symbolizes hope, illumination, and perfection. Every day the dawn plays the role of the beginner. It begins its journey at daybreak and ends its journey in the infinite sun. If you can feel that your whole being—your body, vitality, mind and soul—represents the ever-blossoming dawn, then you will always remain an eternal beginner.   -Sri Chimnoy

• illinoislady
    Options

The art of contentment is the recognition that the most satisfying and the most dependably refreshing experiences of life lie not in great things but in little.  The rarity of happiness among those who achieved much is evidence that achievement is not in itself the assurance of a happy life.  The great, like the humble, may have to find their satisfaction in the same plain things.

Edgar A. Collard

• illinoislady
    Options

There is a fundamental law that the tissue of the human body will waste away through idleness and disuse.  Conversely, muscles and vessel that are stressed grow and increase in capacity.  This same basic law also applies to spiritual and intellectual growth and can be achieved only by continual nourishment and effort in day-to-day living.

Clarence F. Robison

• illinoislady
    Options

We ought not to progress in life by a series of violent jerks, but should learn to navigate our lives upon the flowing stream of change. By being amenable and adaptable we should cease to resent either life or conditions and seek to “change” them by changing ourselves.  -Ronald Beesley

• illinoislady
    Options

Saying “Yes!” to God’s gift of love and life primarily and above all
    means choosing love as a life principle.  However, saying “Yes!” to God
    is not a simple matter because making our lives into lives of love is not
    a simple or easy thing.  To choose love as a life principle means that
    my basic mind-set or questions must be:  What is the loving thing to be,
    to do, to say?  My consistent response to each of life’s events, to each
    person who enters and touches my life, to each demand on my time and
    nerves and heart, must somehow be transformed into an act of love.
    However, in the last analysis, it is this “Yes!” that opens me to God.
    Choosing love as a life principle widens the chalice of my soul, so that
    God can pour into me his gifts and graces and powers.

John Powell

• illinoislady
    Options

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people. Abraham Joshua Heschel

• illinoislady
    Options

Anxiety is the rust of life, destroying its brightness and weakening its power.  A childlike and abiding trust in Providence is its best preventive and remedy.

unattributed

• illinoislady
    Options

Kindness is an inner desire that makes us want to do good things
    even if we do not get anything in return.  It is the joy of our life to
    do them.  When we do good things from this inner desire, there is
    kindness in everything we think, say, want and do.

Emmanuel Swedenborg

A life of kindness is the primary meaning of divine worship.

• illinoislady
    Options

Reading makes immigrants of us all. It takes us away from home, but more important, it finds homes for us everywhere.Hazel Rochman

• illinoislady
    Options

Strength is a capacity for endurance.  One of the dividends of suffering is the universal discovery the we possess a strength within us we never knew we had.  Navigating through a difficult episode not only shows us that inner strength is there but convinces us it will always be there to serve us in the future.  Overcoming gives us an assurance of personal confidence and value that far exceeds what we thought we possessed before our struggles began.

Dennis Wholey

• illinoislady
    Options

Because of the routines we follow, we often forget that life is an ongoing adventure. . . Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be able to treat life as art: to bring all our energies to each encounter, to remain flexible enough to notice and admit when what we expected to happen did not happen.  We need to remember that we are created creative and can invent new scenarios as frequently as they are needed.

Maya Angelou

• illinoislady
    Options

I intend to go on with my life by living it, not by buying into some notion that I no longer have the potential to become still better. I refuse to take seriously society's idea that at the arbitrary age of 65 I am suddenly a lamp going out. Roger S. Mills

• illinoislady
    Options

We may think that happiness is a result of happy circumstances.
    A more mature view of happiness is that it is a by-product of
    sharing our good and serving others.  It is a sense of doing a
    job well, honest communication with another, visiting someone
    who may be ill, or sharing a sense of humor.  Happiness is a
    spiritual principle that we can lay hold of and use, regardless
    of outer conditions or circumstances.
    It isn't necessary to wait for circumstances to bring happiness.
    When we try to give it to others, it returns to us multiplied.  We
    can make our own joy, and let it act upon circumstances!  One
    of the great paradoxes of truth is that a happy heart draws to
    itself what it needs for happiness.

John Marks Templeton

• illinoislady
    Options

Principles have achieved more victories than horsemen or chariots.   -W.M. Paxton

• illinoislady
    Options

Every event offers us a blank canvas upon which we paint with the brush of humility or arrogance; modesty or pride; service or self-aggrandizement.  If we seek praise and position, we shall crash.  If we seek character and service, we shall soar.  Even if you do not have a highway named after you or you are not awarded the coveted job or prize, you will be at peace with yourself and your soul will be satisfied.

Alan Cohen

• illinoislady
    Options

Gratitude is one of the great positive emotions because it creates magnetism. A magnet is that which draws things to itself; therefore, by giving heartfelt thanks for all the good we now have, through the magnetism that gratitude creates, we will start attracting more good into our daily life. -Elaine Hibbard

• illinoislady
    Options

Be the first to forgive, to smile and take the first step, and you will see happiness bloom. Be always the first. Do not wait for others to forgive, for by forgiving, you become the master of fate, the fashioner of life, the doer of miracles. To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return you will receive untold peace and happiness.   -Robert Muller

• illinoislady
    Options

We in the West don't think much in terms of balance, and obviously we should.  Even the very thought of an exquisite union and balance of all our forces, both physical and mental, has a gentle, hopeful ring to it. . . . All of us must find a bridge between our physical and spiritual parts.  When that balance is achieved, what a happy comfort for ourselves!

Edward J. Lavin