Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Illinois ladies facing bc

Options

Comments

• Sandra7inCA
    Sandra7inCA Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hi Joyce,
    My chemo is going well,thanks. My 2nd. treatment is this Thurs. and I'm prepared for it. My hair began coming out 15 days after my 1st chemo, so my fiance shaved it off for me yesterday. He said it looked sexy, yea right!!! He's a keeper though, so I guess I will believe him, LOL. I tried my wig on, but it felt heavy and tight and had to take it off after about an hour. I remember 2003 when the Cubs ALMOST made it!! What a disappointment. But we have another chance this Sunday. GO BEARS!!! I was also following Barbaro's (Kentucky Derby winner), medical journey and was saddened to hear he was put to sleep today. Hope you are doing well. Take care, sending gentle (((HUGS))) your way.
    Sandra
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 4,011
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hi Girls -

Just thought I'd check in with you all.

I live in Hawthorn Woods which is near Lake Zurich/Barrington/Long Grove but I gre up on the Northwest side of Chicago - Jefferson Park.
    This thread is great -
    I was diagnosed in July of '05 with Invasive Lobular Carcinoma. Mammos failed me, as I found the smaller of my lumps during a BSE. The pathology also showed LCIS. My largest tumor was 3.9cm - just shy of being a stage 3. I had a Mast. in August of '05 and then 16 weeks of chemo (dose dense) and then 28 treatments of Radiation. I'm er and pr positive and her2neu negative, so I take Tamoxifen. I just had the remaining breast removed on Dec. 27th because I kept getting cysts and had to keep having ultra sounds and mammos and biopsies. Each time of course, I worried that the bc was there also as LCIS has a tendency to mirror.

One of my friends is putting together a team to walk the Y-Me 3 mile on Mother's Day at Grant Park. You don't have to raise money, but there is a $25. reg. fee. If any of you want to join us, that would be great.

And, I am putting together a team to walk the 3 mile Komen one in September (my team name will be No Surrender, same as last year). If you want info - PM me.

Maybe we could all get together some time! I wish the best for all of you.
    Laura
  • ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hi Joanne,

I had a rough weekend after my Friday chemo....headaches and nausea. Today is the first day that I woke up with no nausea and I'm so excited! I think I'm on my way to recovery now and hope that the second one is a little better. My onc nurse says that the pure stress of the unknown often causes some to have worse nausea reactions after the first treatment. At least that is something positive to keep in mind.

Hope everybody is doing well today! Did anybody else have any trouble today getting onto the discussion boards?

Rita
  • ritajean
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Laura,

Where do you walk the 3 mile Komen at in September? I went to Susan G. Komen clinic in Peoria for all my tests. It is simply fantastic....a state of the art research and testing center.

I think your idea of getting together some Illinois survivors is wonderful. Maybe as it gets warmer we can come up with a place to meet. Although I'm about 2 hours away, I know I'd gladly drive up to the Chicago area or one of the suburbs and would be glad to bring anyone else from the central or south that wants to join us. Let's keep this in mind and brainstorm as the winter months go by.

Rita
  • kats
    kats Member Posts: 162
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Joanne,
    I'm in Streamwood now, moved back to IL from Washington, DC in 1993.
    Before moving to Streamwood we lived (& I worked) in Warrenville for a year. My daughter went to Hubble Middle School and my son went to Wheaton/Warrenville South HS.
  • jz20022001
    jz20022001 Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Yes, I could not get into the boards all morning, so that's why I am late posting. I also like the idea of waiting for warmer weather.

Catherine
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Member Posts: 282
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Hey Kats: My older daughter graduated from WWS in 2005 and my younger will graduate this year. Small world. I also have a son at Edison MS.

Laura: I did the Y-Me walk in 2004, the year I finished treatment. We haven't done it since then, though because it's always prom weekend at my daughters' high school. I feel like I have to be close to home just to be here in the event of anything!

Sandra: Good luck as you continue your chemo. I know you won't believe it but it will be a distant memory soon. I am celebrating my three year end-of-chemo anniversary on Friday.

Rita: I hope you feel better soon. I suggest you keep taking your anti-nausea medication, whatever that may be for you.

Joanne
  • BarbG
    BarbG Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2007
    Options
    While not currently going thru treatment, I still wanted to join the Illinois ladies. I live in Belleville (southern IL), just 10 miles east of St. Louis. Like Brenda, I had my treatments at Siteman Cancer Center in St. Louis. I was diagnosed in July 05 with ILC, 1.7cm, ER+PR+, Her2neu-, grade 2, stage 2a. I opted for bilateral w/ tissue expanders. Unfortunately I had a positive margin and 1 lymph node affected. I had 8 rounds of dose dense chemo; 4 AC + 4 taxotere, completed in Dec. 05. Then I had 36 rads completed March 06. In Sept 06, I had my exchange surgery to silicone, which by the way, I love. But as luck would have it, the radiated side incision got a pin prick of a hole in Dec. Seems the rads damages tissue and blood vessels below the skin. My PS agreed to try again, so he cut out some of the bad area and replaced the implant. So far, so good....I really hope this works.

I'm 48, married with 1 adopted child who is now in the 5th grade.

I'm currently taking Tamoxifen and seeing my oncologist quarterly. Next visit in March.

Barb
  • BarbG
    edited January 2007
    Options

p.s. Since the Cardinals won the World Series, I guess we can root for the Bears in the Super Bowl!

• ritajean
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Welcome, Barb! I'm so glad that you've joined us. It's always nice to hear from those who have made it through the treatments and are "success stories." And you are especially welcome since you're rooting for dem BEARS!!!

I'm so glad that your PS could correct the problem and that all is well right now. I'm also glad to know that you were well pleased with the reconstruction.

Hey! Aren't 5th graders neat? I taught in grades 5 -8 for many years. I'm retired now but I still miss the kids. I volunteered to take the 5th and 6th graders at our church's youth night and am thoroughly enjoying them.

Come back and visit us often! We're glad you found us!!!

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Rita -
    I hope you're feeling okay - Gawd I so remember chemo days. But remember that this is just one chapter of many. The next chapter is better! Really it is...

The Komen Walk this year is on Saturday, September 29th. In the next month or so, I will form my team and post the info...it would be great to walk together! It is one of the most incredible experiences...to be surrounded by 15,000 people that truly understand what we have been through! I saw it on their faces and I felt it in my heart! Truly inspiring, truly incredible!

Barb -
    Our dx's are very similar - although I have not had reconstruction. I hope the new implant continues to be okay!

Laura
  • Anonymous
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Laura: This is the website for the Chicago Komen 3 Day walk. It's August 10-12. Is there a one day Komen walk as well?

http://www.the3day.org/site/pp.asp?c=pmL6JnO8KzE&b=2249907

Joanne
  • BarbG
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Rita - thanks for the welcome!

Laura - we do have very similar dx's. You mentioned that you didn't do reconstruction. Are you using a prosthesis? My implants are not that big - just 354cc, but it gives me enough for clothes to fit and the silicone is so comfortable. I'll really be disappointed if the left side fails to heal again. My PS said that the implant would have to come out and my only other option would be one of the flap procedures. I'm not too keen on that idea and figured I would use a prosthesis.

I, too, had a team for the St. Louis Komen Walk last year. The St. Louis event is HUGE - 64,000 people. Every year they compete w/ Denver for the biggest turnout. Looking forward to it again this year.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Joanne -
    Thanks for the info. The Komen Walk link you provided is for the 3-Day walk. The walk that me and my team are participating in is the Komen Race for the Cure, Sept. 29th. It's a wimpy (LOL) 5k walk or run (3.1 miles), but just as rewarding (they also have a 1 mile walk for kids and those that can't do the 3.1 mile). The web info has not yet been updated for this year but here's the link:

http://www.chicagoraceforthecure.org/race.shtml

Barb -
    At the time of my first Mast. I had an expander put in, but I couldn't handle the pain - as I have a very small chest cavity and it was rubbing against my ribs. Two weeks later because of the positive Sent Node, I had to have a node dissection, so I had the PS remove the expander (I am also hyper sensitive to pain). Actually I went prosthetic/bra shopping yesterday to Nordstrom in Schaumburg. They happen to be in network with my Ins. company! So now I have an official set of "boobs" and 4 bras with pockets. I hope the best for you and that you heal soon so you don't need more surgery!

Laura
  • Anonymous
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Laura: Thanks for clarifying! I looked all over the net and could NOT find that walk! I haven't participated in a walk since 2004 but maybe I'll join you.

I had a friend who did the three day for a couple of years and she's in great shape but the training was incredible. Her feet really took a beating. My feet already hurt from aromasin so I sure don't want to commit to a three day walk!

Keep us posted about the 9/29 walk. Thanks!

Joanne
  • kats
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Joanne,
    I went to Detroit last June and did the Komen Race For The Cure with the Michigan ladies as part of their Team. Most did the 5k walk, one lady and her hubby from the Team did the 5k run and two ladies from the Team took the trolley. A group of us went out for lunch after the race to socialize and talk about how awesome and inspiring the day was. Great time with a wonderful group of ladies (and men).

I'm planning on going back for this years race, which is on Saturday June 16th.

Mary
  • ritajean
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hey Ladies! I've gone two days without begin nauseous! YEAH! I can do this!

Peoria has a large "Walk" also. I will check into it and see when it is. Maybe some of you would be interested in that one, too.

Have a good day everyone!

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2007
    Options
    BarbG -
    I just checked the box my Prosths came in...we have twin boobs...mine are 345 also! LOL How many miles is it from Chicago to the St. Louis walk?

Joanne -
    I will definately keep you posted!

Rita -
    Hang in there...you're doing great! Remember...the next chapter in your life will be much better. I would head to Peoria for the walk...keep us posted. The walk here in Sept. is at Grant Park. And then we walk along the lakefront. I'll keep you all posted.

---------------------------------------------

Be well one and all...

Laura
  • BarbG
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Laura,
    Good to know that they make the prosthesis in my size, should I need it. And we have a Nordstroms in St. Louis, so it's nice to have a back-up plan.
    Thanks for the info.

Barb
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Rita! Wooo whoooo, no nausea for 2 days is great. I know I missted it but what chemo are you getting and how many rounds so far. You can do it! If I did it, anyone can.

Laura: Again with the walks lol. Might join you this year.

Barb: Just saying hi.

Kats: Husband is playing at the Irish Mill in Diamond Lake Friday and Saturday. Wanna go.

Nicki

Nicki
  • ritajean
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Nicki...I'm doing CMF, which is supposed to be the "light" chemo so I wasn't prepared for the headaches and nausea. I will have 4 infusions three weeks apart, then break for 6 1/2 weeks of radiation and then have 2 more chemo treatments. Hurry up spring!!!! I need to have this done before the good golfing season starts. :-)

Hope everyone out there has had a good day!
    Catch you all later.

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Nicki -

"might join you this year"...how about an emphatic Y E S! LOL

Laura
  • Made
    Made Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2007
    Options

Hi all!! No longer an Illinois Lady but wanted to say I grew up in the Northwest Suburbs and my family still lives in Palatine with sisters in North Center Chicago. Prayers sent to you as you fight BC.

• ritajean
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcome, Kelly. Where are you living now? Have you been down this bc journey or are you currently making the trip?

Come back often and see us.

Brenda from Highland....we haven't heard from you in a while. Are you still doing O.K? What's your hair situation?

I hope all you Illinois ladies have a good day. Anyone facing a chemo treatment this coming week? Let us know so we can send good vibes your way!

Let's all get psyched up to yell for the BEARS! GO BEARS!

Rita
  • ritajean
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Laura........Dah! I meant to ask how you got along after this last mastectomy and forgot to do so in my last post. How are you doing? You are so perky and positive and add so much to this thread. When rereading some of the posts at a more leisurely pace, I realized that your last surgery was only a little over a month ago. Am I correct? Sure hope you sailed through it!

Keep posting here Laura. I think your positive attitude is "catching" and we all need that! Thanks for all your encouragement.

Rita
  • kats
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Nicki,
    Quote:

Kats: Husband is playing at the Irish Mill in Diamond Lake Friday and Saturday. Wanna go.

Where's Diamond Lake?
    Mary
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Rita -
    Very nice of you to take the time to ask about my surgery. I'm doing better every day. I still have quite a bit of pain, so I'm taking meds for it. But the problem is when I wear a frickin' bra, the pressure causes even more pain.
    so I have to buy some loose fitting shirts, because in my tighter fit ones, I look like an eight year old! It could be worse though.

Encouragement will get you through this! You seem very positive and that will help as well. Remember fight makes right!

Have a great weekend! I'm not a football fan, but I hope the Bears win.

Laura
  • Made
    Made Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I probably shouldn't be telling any of you were I'm living right before the Superbowl - but its Indianapolis - and after 20 + years in Indiana - I am a Colts fan. However, I'm excited that it will be a good game.

I hope you guys have a great weekend.
  • ritajean
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Laura-- I didn't have a mastectomy. I had a lumpectomy but my incision goes from my inner chest toward the nipple and every bra I tried at first cut right across that incision and really hurt. Like you, I went bra-less for a few weeks. Then I tried the Victoria Secret Ipex Wireless bras. They are so soft and flexible that I could tolerate them. One of my friends who had a mastectomy told me about them. She had trouble with the prosthes. bras so took in her prostes. and had them fit her a Victoria Secret with the Ipex Wireless. According to her, she doesn't have any trouble with slipping and likes them better than the "pocket bras." Don't know if that would work for you or not.

Kelly....we will forgive you for being a Colts fan! :-) Like you, I just hope the game is a good one. The company who has the contract on the winning game T-shirts is based here in Bloomington, Illinois. They had a copy of the designs in our paper and are ready to print out shirts as soon as there is a winner. The designs looked pretty sharp.

Hope those of you in the colder climes are staying warm today. Our electricity was off for about 3 hours so I started a fire in the woodburning stove and just curled up with a book.

Take care everyone.

Rita
  • Anonymous
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Greetings Illinois Survivors:

GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!

Joanne