Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone starting Chemo in Feb?

Options

Comments

• Cyngert
    Cyngert Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Dear Friends:

I'm new to this.....and haven't made up my mind whether to go for the chemo....my medical oncologist wants me to do it...but tells me I have a 30% chance of reoccurence if I don't get chemo, and a 20% reoccurence if I DO go through chemo....so it's only a 10% change to go through all that bad stuff. Did any of you get these kinds of statistics?

I had a lumpectomy 1/2/07 - Triple Negative, Grade 2, 1.5CM, Neg. Margins, No lymph node involvement. Today I started the first of 34 radiation treatments...a real walk in the park, but do expect some fatigue and skin problems later on....no big deal...
    Am going for second opinion to another med. onc., reading all I can on the internet, and would love to join you if I do go for the chemo.
    God bless you all, and stay strong!
  • swimmingmom
    swimmingmom Member Posts: 121
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Leah,
    Thinking of you. Positive thoughts on the liver bx. Hugs to you.
    Karen
  • marshakb
    marshakb Member Posts: 796
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcome Piper and Cynthia17. Sorry you have to join us, but we will get through this together! We call ourselves the February Chemo Cruisers so welcome aboard. Cythia17: 10% sounds like a lot to me, but of course it is up to you. Also with the triple neg will you get herceptin? (sp) Piper: good luck with your appointment today, hope that you have healed up!

Leah: I highly recommend the accupuncture, especially if you insurance pays a big chunk. Mine is working to build immune system (I find this very important) and also to work on mental health (block negative thinking, obsessing) I am thinking of you as you await your liver biopsy.

Hugs ladies and by the way Catherine....love your picture! Marsha
  • ErinsGram
    ErinsGram Member Posts: 150
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcome to Piper and Cynthia17 (Marsha - you're keeping our list updated, right

Kim & Leah - hugs to you gals today - go kick some serious c-butt.

Karen - tx for the detailed info on the MUGA - sounds like they'll be able to give me that number before I leave? Hope yours went well.

Katherine - I'm envious of your snow. My husband and I are snowmobilers and we just haven't had anything to speak of in central PA for the past couple years. Actually, I guess I'm kinda happy we haven't had much this year as it would be quite frustrating to watch him go out while I had to stay home. Also thanks for the info on the Afghan walking technique. The trial I'll be participating in is NSABP-B38 - it's for stage III ER+ Node+. I am also 54 - >5 cm ILC, ER+ and 1 of 26 +nodes.

Marsha - I never heard of the catahoula leopard dog so I had to google it - what a beautiful dog. I'm hoping to be able to visit my in-laws in Leesburg during bike week. That's going to be right after my 2nd chemo treatment so I guess I need to wait to make the final decision until after I see how the first goes.

Love,
    Phyl
  • swimmingmom
    edited February 2007
    Options

FINALLY got the tests back. Bone scan and CT scans were all negative. First good news in a long time. Now I am ready to kick some cancer butt! Karen

• marshakb
    edited February 2007
    Options

Karen: GREAT news on your scan results. BTW you need to update our list for us, you are the organized one in the bunch! Don't we have a couple of folks starting chemo today? I have GOT to start writing this down! Marsha

• Primel
    Primel Member Posts: 652
    edited February 2007
    Options

Erin, the good side of this unusually snowy AND cold winter in Denver (our 2nd winter here) is that it kills bugs... I count on that for avoiding colds, the flue, etc... Not to mention the benefit to all those wonderful big old trees which make Denver so nice in the summer and beautiful in the Fall. Gardens are also protected against the arctic cold by a thick blanket a snow (still at least a foot left since Xmas blizzard...). So, there is a bright side to eveything, and all this white sparkling under Colorado sunny skies is magical...

• Primel
    edited February 2007
    Options

Wonderful, Karen, enjoy this great day...CatherineH

• Primel
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi, Marsha: I liked that picture, too, taken minutes before leaving to the hospital for bilat mast on the 10th... My DH Peter had cut my hair (was to the shoulder line) for the occasion (he is a physicist by training, but has been my hair-desser, and vice versa, for 26 years...)...
    The hard part was to fit in the 80x80 pixels spec.
    Cath.
  • linnieva
    linnieva Member Posts: 80
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi everyone and welcome Piper and Cynthia17 to our group. I'm sorry you have to be here but we're here to support you in any way we can. Piper, good luck today at the dr. I hope you get good news and can move onto the next step.

Kim and Leah, I'm thinking about you today and sending good energy your way.

Karen, Great news on the scans! What a relief, huh? I also found out yesterday that mine were ok. I just wish I didn't have to wait, once again, for new path results on the HER2/neu. The waiting is the worst part.

Phyllis, do your in-laws live in Leesburg, VA? I'm about 10 miles east of Leesburg, closer to Wash DC. off Rt 7, Leesburg Pike. Maybe we'll be able to meet some day.

Could someone explain to me what triple neg means? You would think I would know with all that I've read but I'm not clear on it. Is it ER, PR, and HER2/neu neg? I think I'm confused because isn't being HER2/neu neg a good thing?

Love to all,
    Linnie
  • NarberthMom
    NarberthMom Member Posts: 382
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Ok -- I managed to make it through the MRI-guided biopsy. In order to get through it, I had to load myself up with ativan. Now I have to wait till Monday to get the results.

My new haircut and style seems to be a big hit with my husband. Too bad, I'm going to lose it all in about 4 to 6 weeks!

I'm anxious to hear from Kim and Leah about the first chemo treatment!

-- Hillary
  • swimmingmom
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hillary, good for you making it through. If I have to have another one of those I am taking half the bottle of ativan. That MI thing is horrible. Let us know on Monday!!

Marsha, yes Kim and Leah were first today and I have been thinking of them. I am not sure if we ever heard back on Leah's liver bx either.

The nurses from work are taking me out to dinner tonight to celebrate the scans. I had convinced everyone they were going to be positive and they could all have my jewels (little do they know I don't have any). My first social venture out after the dx. Little successes! Karen
  • leahrc
    leahrc Member Posts: 384
    edited February 2007
    Options
    No good news on the liver. Positive. Will be meeting with oncologist Tuesday to go over pathology report. No one has seen it yet.
    Chemo went fine, came home and ate good dinner. Should be talking some Zofran soon. Best advice I got from the chemo nurse was to not the nausea start.. hard to get rid of once starts, but if you can tank up on zofran and compazine for the first 30 hours, you shouldn't have any problems. We'll see!

Want to check in with Kim and see how her day went, also.
  • leahrc
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Liver was not good news, but since no one has seen path report, I will wait till I meet with my "onco man" as I call him.
    Chemo today went fine. Since they didn't have to draw blood, it was 1.75 hours from start to finish. Too bad the blood adds another hour to the regime.
    I will start taking my zofran at 8 p.m., so I will report back tomorrow about how I am feeling. Right now, feel fine!
  • marshakb
    edited February 2007
    Options

Oh Leah, I am sorry about the liver report. Hang in there maybe when the path comes back it won't be so bad. Glad you could eat a good dinner, take your meds and maybe make it an early night. And definately don't chase the nausea, try to prevent it from starting. They said the same thing to me about pain after surgery, not chase it. Let us know how you feel tommorrow, I will be anxious to hear from you. Sweet dreams girl friend. Marsha

• NarberthMom
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Leah -- Sorry about the liver report. I concur with what Marsha and the nurses say -- be proactive about the nausea. That's the one thing I've gotten from reading posts from our earlier BC sisters. We all will be thinking about your this weekend.

{{{{{{{Hugs!}}}}}}
    -- Hillary
  • swimmingmom
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Leah,
    So sorry my friend. Imagine that chemo going to your liver and destroying those cancer cells. You will be in my prayers. Stay positive, think positive. We are here for you. Karen
  • reggio113
    reggio113 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'd like to join the Feb. group if that's okay. I'll have my port inserted on Monday and chemo to start on 2/14. Happy Valentine's Day! Chemo is to be 4 TC (taxotere and cytoxan) in 3 week intervals. I'm also a nurse. I work at a special ed school with approx. 200 special needs kids. LOVE MY KIDS!!! I'm sorry we have to go thru this but I am glad I'll have special people to do it with. Best of luck everyone. You're in my prayers!
    Mary
  • horsegal
    horsegal Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hello all! Well, I guess I get to join your special group as well. I will be starting my first of four AC treatments next Tues (Feb 6th). Guess I'm "lucky" ?? to only have to endure 4 treatments, but still a bit scared of course.

I had a lumpectomy 1/10/07, clear margins, 1.0cm tumor (IDC) grade 1, ER/PR +, HER/2neu -. I had the SLN biopsy with one micro mets, but elected NOT to have the extra axillary dissection. My hope is that I didn't make a mistake in not having the additional surgery!

I agree with most of you, I am more upset about losing my darn hair!!!!!

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Jen
  • Cyngert
    Cyngert Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Marsha: no herceptin for me....I believe it's only for HER2 positive gals. It means the HEr2 is not "overexpressing" itself...sounds like a riled up teenager!!!!

I am so upset about the hair issue...and everything else that goes along with it. My husband is disabled, and I'm also a caregiver for my Mom...I haven't told her yet about the chemo that is looming in the future. I don't know how to tell her, but since I won't be starting chemo for 5 weeks I'm not going to tell her anytime soon. She is a real worrier.

I was speaking to a social worker yesterday, and the one thing she told me about chemo that made sense is that It is Temporary....and I'm trying to focus on that!

Keep strong!
  • leahrc
    edited February 2007
    Options

lynn, I live in Amherst, though I work during the week in Eastern Mass. Where are you located?

• leahrc
    edited February 2007
    Options

I think so, but I don't understand the Significance? er/pr- and the FISH came back negative for HER2. This is a question I have for my onco man... does this mean something dire?

• leahrc
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hello, Kim!
    Are you ok? I thought about you yesterday, knowing we were both starting. Let us know how you are doing?
    **HUGS**
  • NarberthMom
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Leah --

Join the "triple negative" group. HER2 negative is good -- when HER2 is overexpressed, the tumors are more aggressive. They now have a drug to deal with HER2 overexpression -- herceptin -- but it is till better to be HER2 negative.

ER/PR negative is not as good. ER and PR stand for Estrogen Receptor and Progesterone Receptor, respectively. ER/PR positive tumors have these receptors and rely on estrogen and/or progesterone to grow. If you get rid of those hormones, you shut down the tumors ability to grow. ER/PR positive tumors might still benefit from chemo, so a lot of ER/PR positive sisters will be joining our chemo cruise. But, they have the added benefit of hormone therapy to cut down estrogen and progesterone levels.

Us triple negative gals have to rely on good old-fashioned -- kill those b*stards -- chemo. As yet, there is no directed therapy, like herceptin or hormone treatment. They are working on identifying other receptors and maybe in the future there will be other targeted drugs.

In the meantime, positive thoughts about the chemo killing all the bad cells!

-- Hillary
  • NarberthMom
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcome to our new Februrary Chemo Cruisers!

Piper -- let us know when you have a "start" date.
    Cynthia -- a 10% reduction in occurence is really big. Lots of folks use chemo for just a 1% reduction in occurence. We'll help you get through this!
    Mary -- I start my chemo the day before you, so we'll almost be in sync!
    Jen -- As one of our earlier sisters, you'll have to forge the way and keep us informed about side effects, etc.

Hugs to all!

-- Hillary
  • jordan217
    jordan217 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2007
    Options

Sounds like we're in a similar situation - but I'm just having my surgery next week- have been told 99% chance I'll need chemo- my son is also in High School and his tennis season starts this week, and we are scheduled to go look at the college he is interested in in 2 weeks! I just don't want to miss out on everything important to him. It sounds like you probably live near us too - you mentioned Miami being an hour away - we live in Delray. I was diagnosed 6 weeks ago, but have had to wait for sugery- I've been keeping REALLY busy so actually haven't thought about it all - now that it's next week, all of a sudden I'm kinda freaking out, and I can't stop crying.

• linnieva
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcome to our new Feb cruisers, Mary, Laronson, and Jen.

Leah, I'm so sorry about your liver bx results. I hope you hear some positive things when you see the onc next Tues. We were all thinking of you yesterday. And of Kim. Hope she's doing ok.

Jen - it looks like we're starting together on Feb 6th. Right now I'm scheduled to have 4 A/C and 4 T but it could change once I get the new path report back if they have to add Herceptin to the mix.

Love to you all,

Linnie
  • Primel
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Special thoughts this morning for Florida members... hopefully, none of you was in the path of this (these) devastating tornadoe(s).

I did the paperwork for the clinical study yesterday (4xAC plus neulasta and Avastin (or equivalent), will have the picc port placed on the 6th first thing in the morning, and then I thinl chemo will start the 13 or the 14. Being in the clinical study drags the whole thing to 46 weeks... almost a year... (although the 4xAC and 4XTaxol or xAbraxan equivalent will be every 2 weeks, then Avastin alone every 3 weeks, 9 sessions...). Hopefully this wil be beneficial to BC community AND to the patients in the study... Anybody else enrolled in this (ID code: CA045 NCT00394251)?
    Sending stiff hugs to all (still quite sore fron the bilat mast done on the 10th, plus it is -1 degree F!!!)
  • linnieva
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Catherine,
    If I end up having to take Herceptin, I'll also be going on after the A/C and T for another 9 months. I'm curious as to what type of drug Avastin is. Do you know what it is supposed to be targeting?

Love to you all,
    Linnie
  • Primel
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Linnie: Avastin is not new (FDA approved for advanced colon cancer and a certain type of lung cancer, with very good results. It cuts the blood supply to solid tumors. They want to have this FDA approved for early-stage breast cancer to lower even more the risk of reccurrence or spread. I forgot the chemical name for this, it is similar to avastin (a brand name from Genentech). Of course this is not without risks (side effects, etc.) but life is not risk free, right... The hormonal treatment after chemo is probably part of the picture for me too after chemo, but I do not know which (Tamoxyphen or aromatase). I am pre-menopausal and Er/Pr highly positive (not a candidate for herceptin). Hope this gives some info (the study can be found on the Cancer Institute site).
    Have all as nice a day as possible,
    CatherineH