Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone starting Chemo in Feb?

Options

Comments

• Pepper1073
    Pepper1073 Member Posts: 49
    edited February 2007
    Options

I saw the updated list for chemo in Feb. I am LuLu (Piper) I see the surgeon on 2/12 not sure of date of port but start chemo 2/22. I have bought my wig and am going to start wearing it. As soon as my hair begins to fall out it goes on. I have my prescriptions for nausea and one for Neulasta. I am going to see how much that one is going to cost me at the pharmacy. If too much I can have the shots at the drs office. My plan is to work the morning of the 22nd, do chemo, stay home on friday and hopefully go back to work on monday. I need time to pass quickly and I am very busy at work. They have already told me if I feel bad go home. So it helps alot that they are working with me on this. My best friend wanted to come in from out of town to help me but I need my life to be as normal as possible. My husband is a big help also. Oh, yeah, I am 49 years old. But this is my second time around. First one was 17 years ago when I was 31 when my children were 4 and 7. Now they are grown. But live so far away. I am glad to find this site for all the support it has given me. Thanks again.

• leahrc
    leahrc Member Posts: 384
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hello, Piper!
    I had the exact same thought process as you- late day chemo on a Thursday, neulasta shot 24 hours later, and then the weekend to recoup. So far, it is perfect. I am ready to go to work tomorrow! I hope it will be the same for you.
    Hopefully the neulasta will only be a co-pay, as it wholesales for $2700 per shot, CVS lists it for $3400 retail! The nurse did a good job giving it to me, thought it burns like heck. Felt like the needle was still in it for about 10 minutes after!
    Let me know what you decide or if I can help with internet searching. I read on one board that ExpressScripts, which is the mail order arm of many insurance plans, was able to provide all the neulasta for one co-pay!!! that would be ideal!
    Hugs.
  • linnieva
    linnieva Member Posts: 80
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thanks, Marsha, for updating the list!

LuLu (fellow Linda) - I'm so sorry you're having to go thru this a 2nd time. You're starting a few weeks later than some of us so we'll have lots of advice and experience to help you along. Are you going to be giving yourself Neulasta shots? My doctor gave me a presciption for Neupogen shots that I will have to give myself on Days 3 - 10. I'm a little apprehensive about it. The shots were $50 on my insurance plan and will last thru 2 cycles.

Linda2 - I hope you're doing ok after your AND last week.

Wishing you all a good Sunday. Good luck to all who are having procedures or getting results back this week. There seem to be alot of ports going in. Mine was put in last Monday and I've had very little discomfort.

Love to you all,

Linnie
  • NarberthMom
    NarberthMom Member Posts: 382
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Marsha -- Thanks for updating the list!

Well, we told our six year old. It went better than we thought it would go. I'm not sure he absorbed it all, but at the end came up to me and said "I'm sorry you're sick mom" and gave me a kiss. We'll have to see how it plays out over the next couple of days.

We also told my husband's ex-wife, who immediately offered to help out. My son feels very comfortable with her (from all the joint family holidays that we do!). Also, she doesn't work on Wednesday's and could take me for my neulasta shot if my husband has to work.

No one has any comments about the wardrobe makeovers for chemo sisters???

-- Hillary
  • marshakb
    marshakb Member Posts: 796
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hello ladies....hope you all have a had a good weekend. Trying to enjoy this time before treatment starts! I see my surgeon in the morning for follow-up of port surg and will be probably find out what day my chemo will start.

Hillary, I know you feel some relief now that you have told your son. What's his name? And great deal for you with the ex-wife situation. LOL I'd plan everything for Wednesdays and let her run all my errands

Linnie: glad your port didn't give you much trouble. Mine was painful and now itches. I swear that thing is sitting right on top of my chest. Someone on another thread said the ports that are deep are more painful and they have to use a longer, bigger needle. OUCH I decided to stop bitching about mine being right under the skin. Ha

LuLu: I'm sorry too to hear this is your second round. You sound strong and positive. So Thursday afternoon is sounding the best for some? Makes sense.

Leah: SO glad to hear you have done really well so far. Your worse day seems to have been Saturday? We really appreciate hearing from you often since you are the first.

Talk to everyone soon, hope all the Feb Chemo Cruisers sail into a smooth week.....Hugs, Marsha
  • swimmingmom
    swimmingmom Member Posts: 121
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Feb chemo cruisers it will be a busy week for many of us.

Leah your posts have been very helpful and encouraging. Thank you. I am glad you made it through your first round so well. I hope Kim comes back and lets us know how she is doing.

Best wishes to Melody, Kay, and Mary who are getting ports tomorrow. Several feb cruisers have reported the first night was a bit rough but ice and advil helped. Also to Cynthia who gets her port on Tuesday. Linnie and Jen have their first doses of chemo on Tuesday. Our positive thoughts are with you. Please keep us updated on how you do. Laronson will have surgery this week and Terry has a MUGA on Monday.

I have a question. Do you always take the Neulasta the day AFTER chemo?

Need a relaxation tape? My brother-in-law is a psychologist and bought me a few of Emmett Miller's tapes. He has one for sleep, stress and cancer.

Jen where are you at in Ohio? I'm in cinci.
    Hugs to all (((hug)))
    Karen
  • horsegal
    horsegal Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Marsha - thanks so much for updating the list!

I don't know how you guys keep up with all this! I read nearly every night, and I swear, I get lost sometimes in all that is happening!

Karen - I'm in Columbus! Very cold in Ohio today, getting very very cold tonight and wind chills getting really cold tomorrow! My poor horse and donkey will be chilly!!!! Yes, I own one of each!

I have found that this site is so very helpful to me so far - up until this weekend, I swear I was still in denial of this whole darn thing! I've been lucky, only having a lumpectomy and opting for only the SLN - saying NO to the axillary dissection even tho they found micromets in that one node. I was told that the node was negative during surgery, but after pathology - found micromets. After all the research that I did, I decided that it just may not be as necessary as "they" all seem to think it is to have more surgery. So, chemo it is "just in case" and rads and hormone therapy. I am ER/PR +, HER2 neu -; grade 1, so luckily I have a good prognosis.

But now that I am officially starting chemo, I guess the denial stage is over! Also, my onc does not recommend a port (I only have 4 tx of AC) nor does she do the neulasta shots, unless I need it!! Already had a heart stress test as part of my annual physical in December, so no need for a MUGA either!! Like I said, I seem to be one of the lucky ones -

Thank you so much all of you for all the advice and info you all provide. I think it helps more than any doctor or "non cancer" friend right now.

Jen
  • MAJ01
    MAJ01 Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Good Evening Breast Friends,

I'm nervous about the port placement tomorrow and couldn't sleep.

Jen - I'm the same as you are. I am ER/PR+ and Her2 neg, grade 1. I feel very fortunate. Because my sister is also being treated with BC (currently just finished her 5th chemo)my oncologist is recommending Chemo (4tx of AC). We are also waiting results from the onocotypeDX and BRKA (spelling??) before deciding if additional chemo is recommended.

Leah, hope you continue to feel as good as you do and
    able to work tomorrow w/o any problems. As much as I hate for all of us to have to go through Chemo, the side affects, etc, your updates are truely inspirational.

Good luck to everyone this week

Hugs to all,
    Melody
  • SammieKB
    SammieKB Member Posts: 164
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Catherine, I live about 100 miles south of Houston. My son-in-law is French, also in oil business in Houston, travels to Paris quite often. I have 4 daughters and their families in HOuston and a son in Austin and a son in Columbus,TX. We traveled to Denver last Dec to pick up a McGregor 26 sailboat, was in great shape. We sail the bays around here and lakes also. Can't wait to get back out on the sailboat, very relaxing. That wierd picture by my name was supposed to have my husband and I standing in front of that sign, but I picked the wrong number. Haven't been able to figure out how to fix it. Oh well, not high on my priority list now. I was wondering, do you think it is too ambitious of me to return to work on Wed. after having my port inserted on Monday? I am a Registered Nurse and tend to minimalize procedures. I started thinking after reading on the Bard website that maybe one needs to let it heal a bit before returning to caring for patients myself.

Hillary- looks like we will be having chemo on Tues.13th, I am axious to get started. The sooner I start the sooner I finish...good thing.

Melody do you live in Port Mansfield? I was born and raised in the Rio Grande Valley. Good luck with your port. Mine goes in on Monday also. They give good drugs with that procedure and you will sleep through the whole thing. Most docs give some pain medication to take. As several have mentioned don't forget that some meds cause constipation and taking Colace helps alot.

Jen, your diagnosis and pathology sounds identical to mine. What size was your tumor and is it lobular breast cancer? I am having Taxol x 12 weeks first and then followed by FAC x 4 doses. No radiation. I guess because when they did my bilateral mastectomies and the right axillary node dissection they didn't find any cancer cells. Good luck and God bless.

Karen- thanksfor the good wishes and for keeping up with all of us.

Lulu- sorry you are going through this again. Good for you about returning to work. I imagine it will help the time pass more quickly. I was wanting to go back this week, 2 days after getting my port, but am having second thoughts, as I am a nurse and will be taking care of patients that are emerging from anesthesia and this can require some lifting of the head of the bed etc. Another concern about returning to work is that some employees will come to work when they are sick with flu and bad colds. I wonder about exposure while on chemo.

To all : Good night and God bless. I better go to bed have to be at hospital at 6 a.m.

INDY COLTS ROCK!!!!!!!
  • sherryl49
    sherryl49 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2007
    Options

Count me in. My chemo starts Feb. 7th.

• leahrc
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Ok, I am off to work. We'll see how it goes.
    If I can stay up tonight, there is a "look good feel good" seminar at the Center. Will try to make it and let you all know.
    Probably overdid it yesterday- shopping, house cleaning for more than a few hours. Not sure what possessed me! Probably take a toll today
    The neulasta website says the drug cannot be administered less than 24 hours after chemo, and yes, I am having it each time. I think that allows the dose dense schedule.

Love to all starting today/this week. Let us know if you need anything.
  • NarberthMom
    edited February 2007
    Options

Leah -- You are an inspiration to us all!

• ismary
    ismary Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Can anyone help me? My mother went through a radical masectomy (cancer was from calcifications and it involved 2 nodes that were removed). She had immediate reconstruction (although her nipple looks really black and I am worried about that too). The doctor will take her case to a panel because he is not sure if chemo. The cancer has negative hormones therefore she is not eligible for tamoxifen. Her cancer was a 1.5 in size. My mother does not want recurrence but she's been under psychiatric care even before cancer and I am not sure if she would be up for chemo. I am so worried I can't sleep. I myself went for my mammogram (because since my mom's operation, my breasts hurt a lot) and after I had the mammogram they are requesting a sonogram. I feel so worried and scared about so many things. Forgive me if I am interrupting this forum, I didn't know how to post a new subject
  • horsegal
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Melody -
    Sorry to hear that your sister also going thru this. The reason my onc wants me to do chemo is my sentinel node had micro mets in it, AND since I opted not to go back and do the axillary dissection. I do feel lucky, having to have only 4 tx - start tomorrow! Yippee!! (being a bit sarcastic here) Not looking forward to it, however, wanting to get started and get done. As my husband says, after tomorrow's tx - I am 25% thru!! Just trying to stay positive.

Jen
  • horsegal
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Kay -

My tumor size was 1.0 - and I had invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC). Very slow growing, but with involvement although minimal in the one sentinel node, chemo for me!

Good luck to you as well!

Jen
  • horsegal
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Leah -

Sounds like you're doing fairly well! So glad to hear that, and I hope I can have the same thing. I start tomorrow and have to admit I am very nervous! I do NOT have a port, so will see how that goes, and I will not be getting the neulasta either. That's why I feel lucky, not having as much as most here it seems.

You probably are doing the "nesting" thing - cleaning, shopping, etc. preparing for the possibility that you may not be up to doing it in the coming days/weeks. Kind of like right before you go into labor with a child! I am doing the same thing! Sat went BIG grocery shopping, yesterday started my "spring" cleaning if you will! But my issue is more that we are putting our house up for sale next week (the beautiful timing of things, huh?) because we are moving in a few months. So, the house needs to be immaculate as I hope it sells FAST! The faster it sells, the less showings and cleanings I have to do! (of course, selling fast also accommodates the move!!)

Hang in there - hope you get to work and all goes fine!

Jen
  • NarberthMom
    edited February 2007
    Options
    OK -- I'm freaked. The test results in the "other breast" show LCIS. The radiologist who phoned with the results thought that it wasn't a big deal. I have IDC in the left breast, no nod involvement, 1.5 cm tumor, grade 3, originally staged as 1c. Does the additional LCIS bump me up to stage 2?

-- Hillary
  • wayover20
    wayover20 Member Posts: 191
    edited February 2007
    Options

Post deleted by wayover20

• wayover20
    edited February 2007
    Options

SO SORRY...Hillary, I see you're already in "the process" so did you have surgery on the left breast?

• wayover20
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Well ladies, last Friday I had the port put in and for the first day or so just a little sore especially if I turned my head a certain way. But by last night I actually "forgot" it was there. Today I see my surgeon just for the final go ahead to use it for my first chemo on the 8th.
    On one level I am not looking forward to this next 6 months but on the other I am really ready to give the one,two punch to this dang disease and considering how fast time flies, 6 months is nothing...SO BRING IT ON.

I recieved one of the wigs I ordered online and although it was a very pretty style and the hair looked so real (it was synthetic)...I busted out laughing when I put it on cuz I looked like Tina Turner. Not that she looks bad, but on my big head it turns out that style is not the daily look I wanted. So I returned it and am waiting for the other one. I sort of think I'm going to be relying more on scarves since our summers here in Texas are horrendous.

Well, I start on Thursday 2/8 so I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh yea, I had the PET scan and 2D echo done on 2/1/07 and I would appreciate prayers,good wishes that they are negative.
    Thank, Pat
  • wildabouthorses
    wildabouthorses Member Posts: 458
    edited February 2007
    Options

hi fellow cruisers, I hope this boat doesn't make me sea sick like I was on Uncle Sam's Navy Wives cruise many years ago! I am 51 years old and I start chemo Feb 15th...my husband shaved his head to support me and gave his hair to Locks of Love. I got my long hair cut the very next day to a very short spiked cut but it wasn't quite long enough for Locks of Love. I actually like it now I'm getting used to it. I will be taking Emend then a cocktail of Adriamycin and Cytoxan 4 doses 3 weeks apart then radiation treatments then Tamoxifin for 5 years. I had a surgical biopsy/lumpectomy in November in my left breast and he found I had stage 0 in a lobal area non invasive cancer .7cm. Got a second opinion on treatments and changed to a female surgeon. She ordered an MRI for both breasts and found a suspicious spot in my right breast with it and an ultrasound. The spot wasn't in any of my mamo's. She did a needle biopsy and it was invasive ductal cancer 1.5 cm. I already had a lumpectomy and sentinal node checked for spread about 2 weeks ago. The node came back clean and I had clear margins with the invasive cancer. Now chemo is next to help half my chance of reaccuring breast cancer. After reading these forums and lurking for awhile I just joined up to chat with y'all. I've already gotten a few things to help with eating during chemo thanks to these great and helpful ladies info here. I am hoping for some support from you gals especially on the bad days. Interesting seeing all the nurses here, I worked as a nurses aide for 8 years in nursing homes. Jan

• wildabouthorses
    wildabouthorses Member Posts: 458
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Quote:

Hi, Kay, I am glad you liked the site... this took you through a lovely part of France. BTW, Pippin was from the Houston SPCA (adopted in 1991).
    Although French, I lived 11 years in Houston (82-93), and I enjoyed our life there very much (my husband moved there with his parents from PA when he was 8, but never got this lovely accent people have there -- I think I have more a
    texas accent than he does). His children and grand-children live in Houston and San Antonio. We loved Austin and the hill country, the bluebonnets, sailing in Clear Lake in January... shrimp boils in Galveston... you name it. When in France (93-2005), we went as far as having H2O smokers shipped to us to do ribs and would have GoodCompany BBq sauce shipped, too: big success with neighbors and friends invited to share the BBQ... My first BC scare was in Houston in 87... Which part of this beautiful state do you live in?
    Wishing you the best,
    Catherine (now in Denver, not quite the same temperatures, but love the climate!)

How ironic! We lived in Katy, 81-92 Layoff from HL&P caused our move. We were in Denver(Englewood) in 05 July 4th weekend riding our motorcycle in those beautiful mountains!

• leahrc
    edited February 2007
    Options

So how was it?????

• linnieva
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcome to our group Jan and Sherry!

Hillary - I saw your message about your biopsy. Were you able to talk to your doctor yet?

Wayover20 - I also saw my surgeon today and he said I'm good to go so I guess our cruise begins this week. My surgeon, who is usually very quiet, was very sweet today, took both my hands, told me I was going to be ok, and then gave me a big hug. After 4 surgeries in 2 months, I think we've bonded.
    Hopefully, you'll hear back soon on your scans so you won't have that added stress on chemo day.

Leah - Hope you had a good day at work and I'm wishing you the best at the onc tomorrow.

Well, tomorrow's d-day. I'm actually not that nervous. I feel like I've been thru one war -- so what's another?

Love to you all,
    Linnie
  • marshakb
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hello fellow chemo cruisers. Well got that long hair cut off this morning. Short shag that is absolutely gorgeous! People I've known for ever don't recognize me and my friends all said it took 10 years off my age! Too bad I won't get to enjoy my new doo for long. Finally got the call for my start day and it is Wednesday, yes this Wednesday the 7th. OMG I'm typing this and looking at the picture Jan just posted with the mountains and morotcycles going down the road and that's how I feel. Starting down the road! Welcome Jan to the Feb. Chemo Cruisers, nice to meet you, wish it was under different circumstances!

Pat, glad to hear you didn't have trouble with the port. Tina Turner, LOL. Listen girl, I freaked out about the PET/CT scans also but mine were fine and so will yours be.

Hillary, some docs don't consider the LCIS do even be cancer. Its an indicator that could get invasive. Odd to have two different kinds in each breast. I don't think it changes your staging, not sure, but you need to ask about it.

Jen, I'm a day behind you. You can always get the port later if you see you need to. My veins are shit cause I'm so small boned. OMG you are selling your house now? I am a Realtor and know the amount of hassle this is on the sellers. Hope it goes fast so you don't have alot of people in and out!

Welcome Sherry....post and let us know more about you and your situation. You are very welcome to join us on the Chemo Cruise! You and I start the same day, the 7th.

Kay, don't push yourself, remember this time is all about you!

Melody, oh you and your sister both? Man oh man. How did your port placement go? Hope you are doing well.

Linnie, LOVE your picture.

Karen, I do think the neulesta comes 24 hours after the infusion.

And Leah, thanks again for letting us know how you are getting along. STOP doin the house work. Isn't that what your hubby is for? LOL I am right behind you, I start on Wednesday so we can compare notes!

Catherine, hope you are staying warm out west. We Floridains have had 440-50 degree weather and think that is cold!

Terry hope you muga scan went well.

Piper, isn't interesting that alot of us are in our 40's? I noticed you had posted your age and got to thinking about it and it does seem to be a trend! I am 45, turning 46 March 4. And how weird for people to say "your so young" never heard that till the bc dx!

Mary, how did your port got today? Hope you are doing well.

Phyllis, Kim, and laronson, and Cynthia how are you girls, hanging in there?

OK ladies, I think I am caught up. Do we have some gals we haven't heard from lately, like Linda? Hope she is doin OK. Talk to everyone soon. Hugs, Marsha
  • Nancy0531
    Nancy0531 Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2007
    Options

Hi Karen, I am starting in February too, on the 8th. Look forward to posting with you. Good luck with everything, Nancy

• Nancy0531
    Nancy0531 Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2007
    Options

Hi Marsha, You can count me in too. I start Feb 8. I got my port put in on the 30th, and it wasn't too bad. Good luck to everyone. Nancy

• marshakb
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcome Nancy to the February Chemo Cruisers. I see by your post that you just found this site? It has been a virtual life saver and the women are so caring and loving. We will all do this together and make it through to the other side. Come back and post when you have time to let us know a little about yourself. We want the personal life too! What kind of chemo cocktail do you have to look forward to? Hugs, Marsha
  • Primel
    Primel Member Posts: 652
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi, Jan, welcome on board... yes, our paths crossed for sure with none of us being aware of it... and maybe several times in the 80's... I wish you the very best. I need to cut my hair pretty soon again (my husband cut from shoulder length to right under the ears... but will go more drastic next week-end i guess). Tomorrow is port placement in my left arm (Marsha, you are right: they do that for bilat mastectomies), and then I will find out when I can start the chemo (the 13th, at the earliest).
    Have all a nice evening, and no severe side effects to those who got infused with all the good stuff today...
    CatherineH
  • linnieva
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi everyone and Welcome Nancy! to our group,

Just wanted to mention to those getting ready to start their chemo that I've read that chewing ice chips or anything else cold while you're having your infusions is supposed to help prevent mouth sores. Also, Biotene gum, mouthwash, and toothpaste will help prevent bacteria that also leads to mouth sores. I bought the Biotene products at our Rite-Aid drugstore.

Linnie