Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone starting Chemo in Feb?

Options

Comments

• horsegal
    horsegal Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Marsha -
    thanks so much for keeping up with us all!!! I don't know how you do it!

Yes, selling a house, moving - all stressful for sure! But the way I see it - I have sooo much going on, I have no choice but to keep moving forward and don't have time to sit and dwell on what is REALLY happening to me! All my friends see me as this "strong" person - they have repeated this to me so much since this all began. But they have no idea how WEAK I seem to be now! I am always the free spirit gal, always in control, nothing bothers me gal ------ until now. Aquarius gal - we're like that!

Well, tomorrow is the day for me - 1st chemo - I am very nervous, but I keep thinking, what else can I do but go forward?? I have to keep up this positive attitude - my hubby says so!

Thanks to all for being there - I will also keep everyone posted with what's happening - I'm only a day or so ahead of everyone anyway!

HUGS@!!!!!!! Jen
  • Nancy0531
    Nancy0531 Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Marsha, I did just find the site and from what I've read it does seem like a great place with many wonderful and caring people.

On Jan 3, I had a bilat mast and am now ready to start the chemo. I am getting dose dense a/c every 2 weeks x4 and then taxol every 2 weeks x4.

I have 2 boys ages 7 and 9 and thankfully a very supportive husband who has been helping me through all of this. It seems though that it will be great to have others to talk to who are going through the same thing.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Nancy
  • swimmingmom
    swimmingmom Member Posts: 121
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Melody, Kay, and Mary how did your port placements go? Linnie and Jen I hope you do as well as Leah has reported.

Leah-you are doing housework. Wow you are amazing. Thank you for inspiring all of us. I agree though let someone else do it and have some fun!!

Jen I had mets to two lymph nodes that were micromets and my surgeon opted not to remove anymore and is telling me that their was no need. She says the chemo will eliminate that and the problems with additional node surgery are too great long term. She was very positive about it. I can't believe you are selling your house. Maybe it will help keep your mind off things. Don't forget to take care of yourself.

Pat the wig thing was funny. I laughed more than a few times when trying them on. Everything I picked out looked like Halloween. Finally I left it to the saleslady who apparently knew what she was doing! You have my thoughts and prayers on the scans. I made myself sick worrying about it. Try to stay positive.

Welcome Sherryl, Jan and Nancy. This is a great source of support and info.

ismary-wow you situation is tougher than I can handle. Sounds like you need to sit down with the dr or nurse practitioner.

FYI A drug that we use in the hospital that is typically better than colace for constipation is senokot. Plain senokot is a stool softener. Senokot-S is a stool softener and a stimulant. It is a natural substance and very mild. You can start with two at bedtime and work up if needed. Constipation can be very uncomfortable so try and avoid it.

Hilary-I think what Marsha says is what I have read. Let us know. Sorry to hear.

Went to work today and it went well. I think I will have to keep a little pad of paper and pen in my pocket and write my "to do" list down. I find I forget the minute I get back to my office. But then again maybe that is because I am 47 years old!!

Cruise on woman,
    Karen
  • SammieKB
    SammieKB Member Posts: 164
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcome Sherry. The Feb. Chemo Cruisers rock. Lots of support and good information. Good luck and God bless wi th your chemo. I will be right behind you, starting on Feb.13.
  • wildabouthorses
    wildabouthorses Member Posts: 458
    edited February 2007
    Options

Thanks for the warm welcome...looks like I'm having a muga scan on Friday. Wonder if having a heart murmur since birth will do anything to the rating of this scan? Am I the only one having to take Emend just an hour before starting chemo and one a day for 3 days afterwards? I wonder if the doc decided to give me that because I get a nervous acid stomach that can make me nauseated when I worry about things. This can also trigger my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and cause diareaha. I am hoping it doesn't make my IBS worse, the NP said my chemo might give me some relief from it actually! Will be watching to see how everyone does after their first doses.

• SammieKB
    edited February 2007
    Options

Well, the port is in. I slept through the whole procedure. It is a little sore, but the pain medication takes care of that. I have been a little tired and sleepy today, but am sure tomorrow will be a better day. My surgeon said it was o.k. to return to work on Wed. YEA!! He actually asked me if I wanted to work today, I think he was kidding with me. He smiled alot. Take care all. My prayers are with all you young mothers with small children. Thank God for all the progress that has been made in treating this disease. My niece age 32 was diagnosed 5 years ago with metatastatic breast cancer in all her bones. She has 3 children is a single mom. She just wanted to survive to see her children grow up. She is quite ill, but so far so good. She lives with my brother, her dad and mom. She does o.k. and has one son out of high school now and one a senior and one a soph. All because of clinical trials. She has been in several and see just keeps going. Thank God for research and progress.

• sherryl49
    sherryl49 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2007
    Options

This looks like a great group of people. Have been reading the posts and learned a lot of helpful information. I wish you all the best. I'm 49, a pharmacist, married, no children, and live in Kentucky. Found a lump on 12/15, had excisional biopsy on 12/26 diagnosed as mucinous carcinoma. On 1/9 had SNB and surgery to get clear margins. Thankfully the node was negative. Tumor was 3.2cm. Have had an echocardiagram and start AC on wednesday. Will be 4 doses 21 days apart then 6 1/2 wks of radiation. I too have already cut my hair...never had it this short in my life and have gotten lots of compliments on it. I admire the strength you all seem to have, raising children, working, and selling a house...don't know how y'all juggle it all. Take care, I look forward to being a part of this group and seeing how everyone does.

• Cynthia1962
    Cynthia1962 Member Posts: 236
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Well, I saw my surgeon today and I'm having my lumpectomy and axillary node dissection on the 16th. She'll also put my port in then. So, it looks as if I won't be having chemo until March now. I'm going to miss you all, but I'll keep checking in to see how everyone is doing. Good luck!!!

Cynthia
  • talbrig13
    talbrig13 Member Posts: 358
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Yuck! I got up 1:00 am on Monday throwing up...some stomach virus. So I had to reschedule my muga scan for Wed the 7th...Chemo still scheduled for the 8th. I DID NOT need to practice throwing up. I hope the Zofran and Compazine he is precscribing is effective on any nausea I might have. How are other oncologists treating the nausea?
    Well...I am going off to work now...talk to you all later.
    Love,
  • ErinsGram
    ErinsGram Member Posts: 150
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Mornin' Gals.
    Leah - thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. Hope all is going well for you at work.

Welcome to Sherryl, Jan and Nancy. Jan - I'm also a biker - kinda cold here in central PA so it's gonna be awhile before it comes out of the garage. Nancy - where are you in PA?

Pat - LOL on the wigs - I need to get a couple ordered. Was looking for a local place where I could perhaps do some tryons, but it looks like there's nothing around me. So, TLC, here I come.

Marsha - Can you include a new photo in the post - I'll bet the shag looks great! Good luck tomorrow and let us know.

My update - had the muga Friday (78%). Approved for the clinical trial - got put in group 2 (4 cycles of DD AC every 14 days then 4 cycles DD Paclitaxel every 14 days) followed by rads and Femara. Start date is Feb 12.

Back to work - hugs to all having procedures today!
    Phyl
  • Amera
    Amera Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Feb. gals. Just popping over from the Jan board. Good luck to all those starting soon. I was nervous too but the insusion was a non-event really. I did chew ice for the Adriomycin. Have also been using the toothpaste and mouthwash and no mouth sores so far. OH, drink lots of water the day before/of your treatment so that the A can get through your system.

Keep up with the nausea meds schedule you are given--even if you feel okay. It's really important to stay on top of things. You will probably feel okay for the first day or two after your infusion. The Jan ladies have found that days 4/5 are the toughest--but it's mostly just exhaustion.

All in all, not as bad as I thought it would be. Put all those Lifetime Movies of the Week out of your minds. It is nothing like that for most women. Good luck!
    Amera
  • Jogey85
    Jogey85 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I'm starting chemo on Friday.
    I'm having 4 treatments of A/C two weeks apart followed by 12 weeks of Taxol and 1 year of Herceptin.
    I was diagnosed in December. I had a lumpectomy and sentinnel node dissection. There were no lymph nodes involved. My tumor was 1.2cm.
    I'm getting really nervous for Friday.
  • misspell
    misspell Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I don't know what to do! Any suggestions on where I find the book "BC for Dummies!" I am 51 have the best husband and 18 year old son. I am trying to work too. Had my bilateral mastectomy Jan 5th and was told HER+. My sentinel lymph nodes were clear so I still have the majority intact. My port has been implanted and Chemo to begin this month. Feb 19th or 22nd. I am on anti-depressant and believe this is what caused me this knee jerk of a reality check today. i am coming out of the 3week fog finally and back to my "But I'm not dead yet!" self. Marsha I laughed out loud when I read the Monty Python quote. Thank you so much dear for having the courage to post it. I said it for several times to my husband after the diagnoses.Te first time with conviction then we rented the movie and just have the best time. I really do not want to have chemo. I am thinking the benefits are not worth the 5% the onc says it will provide me. Can you share your thoughts and resources with me so I can make this tough decission? Sween thank you for starting OUR group and to all ....You are in my constant hope and prayer.
    Sharon/Misspell
  • Primel
    Primel Member Posts: 652
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Well, the port is in (never slept, but painless procedure, will probably get worse later today). Chemo starts on the 13th for good... Thinking of all of you infused today or recovering from it...
    Hugs, CatherineH
  • jpann39
    jpann39 Member Posts: 92
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Catherine
    Good job!!!!!! one step down, a few more to go, but you WILL do them and we will all be here with you each step of the way...
    Hugs
    Jule
  • linnieva
    linnieva Member Posts: 80
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Shannon (Jogey85) and welcome to our group. I may be on the same schedule as you depending on my second HER2/neu test that I'm still waiting on. Gosh, that seems like alot of treatment considering your tumor was small and no node involvement. Right now I'm 4 A/C and 4 T every two weeks but, if they add Herceptin, the schedule changes to yours. Well, we'll be Herceptin buds. You must have been Her2+, is that right?

I just came home from my first chemo and it was pretty uneventful. I took Emend this morning and then they gave me Decadron, Aloxi, and Altiva in the IV. Aloxi is similar to Zofran but it's supposed to last 72 hours. Rob and I arrived at 10:30 and left at 3:30. I'm sure it'll be shorter the second time around. I also had to learn to give myself a shot (neupogen) and it wasn't that bad. I'll keep you posted on how things go over the next few days.

Sharon/Misspell, I'm sorry you're feeling so overwhelmed. I don't understand why we all get such differing statistics from our oncologists. You said that your onc said it would help your chances against recurrence by 5%? That seems so low to me. My dr had a chart that read surgery & radiation only - 35% change of recurrence. Add chemo, cuts it by 1/2 to 17.5%. Add Taxoxifen, cuts it by 1/2 again to less than 10%. 0% would have been nice but, hey, 10% isn't too bad. I know I've heard different stats from others but I like this one and I'm sticking with it.

I'm thinking of you all and hope you're doing well.
    Leah, let us know how your onc appt went if you're up to it.

It feels good moving forward.

Love to you all,

Linnie
  • SammieKB
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Catherine, glad to hear you are doing well "post-port". You are in my thoughts and prayers. I feel like the port placement has taken more out of me than I expected. I have to remember to give myself time to recover. I have high expectations for myself. I tried to get out of working Wed., but may have to go. The nurse I am working with said to come in and be a warm body to back her up and she can do all the patient care. My fellow nurses are very protective of me and I do appreciate that. I keep forgetting that I am "senior citizen" and so do my coworkers. They are all in 40's.
  • SammieKB
    edited February 2007
    Options

Sherry, I haven't taken Emend yet, however I ask about it at the onc. office and they say they use it. It is also used at MD Anderson in Houston. It is a combination of several nausea medications. My daughter's friend has been taking it wit her chemo and says it works really well. Also using Zofran. My oncologist has prescribed Zofran 8 mg by mouth every 6 hours. I don't start chemo until the 13th of feb. and start with Taxol, so nausea may not be mai side effect. Will start FAC after 12 weeks of Taxol.

• SammieKB
    edited February 2007
    Options

Welcome Sherry 149 to the group. We are all here for you, to support you on this journey. Being a pharmacist, you probably know more than you want to about the chemo drugs, LOL...sometimes as a nurse, I think "ignorance is bliss". Good luck and God bless.

• SammieKB
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Linnie, glad all went well with your first chemo. Sounds like they covered you well for all the possible side effects. God bless and keep you my dear. Stay strong.
    Love to all, Kay.
  • marshakb
    marshakb Member Posts: 796
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcome Sherryl, Sharon and Jogey85 to the Feb. Chemo Cruise Line.

Sharon, I guess I have been appointed "the jester" so glad you enjoyed the Monty Python bit. When I had my biopsy done, the thingy went off sounded like a commercial staple gun and I screamed "I've been shot" and the radiologist said "Are you OK" and I said, "It's just a flesh wound", good ole Monty Python. Saw the Broadway show last June in NY and wear my SPAMALOT hat to all my appointments. Seriously just trying to laugh my way through it all. The extra chemo for you is probably because of the HER being positive. Did they confirm that positive with the FISH test?

Catherine, so glad the port hasn't given you any problems. Looks like you will be a week behind me on the chemo since I start tomorrow.

Phyllis, no I don't suppose you are riding that motorcycle now in the cold weather you guys are having up there. Wind chill in the minus degree? bbbbbrrrrr

Linnie, chemo was a piece of cake? Please say yes I am very nervous about starting tommorrow. Trying to drink lots of water. I agree with you about the stats...hard to know what it all means, kinda depends on how your doctor interprets things.

Kay, don't beat yourself up over the port thing, I was t he same way. It was harder for me than the mastectomy was.

Terry, bless your heart, practicing the throw up? Jeez, hope you get better, I wouldn't think they would start your chemo if you have a bug.

Cynthia, stay with us until you can get a March thread going OK? Maybe we can give you some pointers!

Sheryl, welcome to the group and it looks like you and I are off to chemo together tomorrow. Will be anxious to hear how it goes with you.

Karen, I have the senekot ready....had lunch with one of the girls in the chat room who lives near me (fun to meet in person!) and she warned me not to let the constipation get ahead of me. Actually said to go ahead and take it before even noticing I was plugged up.

Jen, how did your day go, didn't you start today? Let us know.

Nancy, I don't have the kids but I do have a very supportive husband like you. I'd be lost without him. He could care less about the missing booby, just wants me to be around to keep him laughing.

Hope you all are having a good day. I hope I can get some sleep tonite, I'm really nervous about the start of this. Hugs to all, Marsha
  • Primel
    Primel Member Posts: 652
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Thank you all for being there and posting no matter what. I am emerging for serious napping (which I never do to sleep well at night). I believe the sedative worked with a delay... The worst part of my post-port day: incredible menstrual cramps like I do not remember since I was 18-20... I even thought for a moment maybe my appendix was acting on me (accross the lower belly), but no nausea, no fever... I took an advil, more arnica (homeopathic pellets) a heat pad and disappeared under the covers for almost 2 hours and feel better now. At 54, I am ready for menopause... chemo will take care of this. I was wondering whether the drugs they used this morning can have an effect on your body if you have your period (I asked prior, but got a negative answer from the young doctor who placed the port). Anyway, I did not expect this to be the high point of my day... and so it goes...
    Thank you for all the drug names you indicate, I have my "chemo teaching" with a nurse on Friday morning, and that's the time to bring all the questions...

Have all as nice an evening as your "cocktails' will permit. It's summer time here (60's), Denver weather is certainly changing very fast.
    Hugs to all Feb chemo cruisers,
    CatherineH
  • leahrc
    leahrc Member Posts: 384
    edited February 2007
    Options

You are going to do fine, I just know it. Your laughter and attitude will take you most of the way there. Love you. Will send good energy.

• linnieva
    linnieva Member Posts: 80
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Marsha,
    I hope you can sleep tonight. I tossed and turned most of last night which is probably why I'm exhausted now. But you'll be fine tomorrow. It really was easy, especially compared to surgery. At least I didn't have to get poked three times to get an IV in.

I chewed on ice chips the entire time they were doing the Adriamyicin (sp?). Also, just like your friend said to you, my nurse said that I should start taking Senekot S tonight even if I only take one pill.

So, all in all, I feel fine but not quite myself. I think it's the Altiva, makes you tired. The nurse gave me a slow drip on the second drug because it can sometimes give you headaches. I'm lucky - I rarely get headaches but I thought it couldn't hurt to have it slow. Not like I have a big date tonight for dinner and dancing.

Catherine, I'm sorry you're not feeling great tonight. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day. My port hurt worse than anything the first night and then the pain disappeared the next day.

Linnie
  • jch
    jch Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Can I pop in from time to time on behalf of my mom? She had her first infusion today, AC dose-dense, to be followed by Taxol. So far so good, mostly fatigue this afternoon, but maybe that's from all the stress too. She had a lumpectomy, 1.5 cm IDC, 1/11 nodes positive. She was diagnosed 8 months after me, completely different pathology and treatments. I had a bilateral and have expanders in now, but no chemo. So I'm the cancer "expert", but have no clue on chemo other than what I've learned here, thanks to you all. Peace to you.
    Julie (40) for Mom (70)
  • wildabouthorses
    edited February 2007
    Options

Terry I had that stomach virus the day after my lumpectomy then my hubby had it two days later. I thought it was the surgery but my surgeon said we got the bug knocking us down then. Hope you feel better as mine was only 24 hours.

• wildabouthorses
    edited February 2007
    Options

Phyl...nice to see another biker here. We've been off ours since June due to an accident. Hubby is still hobbling around unable to get back on it, his left foot was twisted all the way around causing 4 spiral breaks in the larger bone. I was lucky...just jammed my shoulder joint and muscles tied in knots around it, some bruises and scraps. Hubby just went back to work Dec 4th and just recently saw the bone doc only to find his smaller leg bone is rebroken as is the plate! So he's having outpatient surgery to fix that on Feburary 21st. Its been quite a trip trying to help each other these past 7 months! I gotta tell ya we just had a day of 72 temps and go back to 38 for a high tommorow. Lot of bikers out this afternoon taking advantage of it. I've been feeling more myself the past couple of days so am a bit energetic enjoying this warm weather. Washed the car at the hand car wash and am now grilling supper! I hope I have this kinda energy during chemo. As it is my son in law comes out to get hay out to the horses and waters them. I'll make a farmer out of that city slicker yet. LOL!

• wildabouthorses
    edited February 2007
    Options

Thanks Kay for the Emend info. I do know its fairly new as it became available in 04 from what I found on the net.

• wildabouthorses
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Welcome Julie from a february newbie, I hope you can find some answers here to help you with your Mom.

I went to the ACS and found me some cute summer wraps/hats. Even found a couple of cute wigs for those days I might want some hair on my head. One is a redhead and the other kind of a dirty dishwater blonde. Wonder what hubby is going to say about the really different colors. There were only a couple close to my real color hair but one looked like I had an afro from the 70s!!!
  • nynurse
    nynurse Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hi Cruisers,

Well I had my first treatment of AC on Thursday. I came home and threw up. More from nerves and just being so angry that I have to go through this. Friday I felt really tired and the weekend I was very nauseous. I had this bad nausea throughout my preganancy so I think that this is here to stay. I am trying to keep a postive outlook. I just want this all to be over. I am home from work and every time I turn on the TV or read I see something about some young person dying of breast cancer. It is so depressing. How is everyone else doing with chemo?

Talk to you all soon

Kim