Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Success Stories!

Options

Comments

• runner1
    runner1 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2003
    Options
    When I was in hospital for my mastectomy, a wonderful lady came by to see me (she was from a wonderful organization but I can't recall the name!!!). They obviously matched me with someone with a similiar diagnosis as she had one positive node and a mast on one breast as did I. Anyway, she was an 8 year survivor and had experienced no problems at all, either with a recurrance, new cancer or lymphadema. Her visit was so helpful...she looked so healthy and was very upbeat and positive.

-Sandy
  • dunner1
    dunner1 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2003
    Options

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!! I was diagnosed with Stage 3 b/c back in Feb (w/lymph nodes involved) and some day my name will be mentioned on this thread b/c I plan on seeing my son grow old with me. During my ordeal I rec.'d numerous cards/letters, here's a quote from one, "Maureen called me a few days ago to tell me about your b/c . I too was operated on for b/c 27yrs ago at age 41. Our children were 15, 8 and 5 yrs old. Several of my lymph nodes were also cancerous. During the yr. of chemo I relied heavily on the doctors, my family and God being there by my side. As I look back I realize how God influenced all of these aspects working together." God be with each and every one of you. Keep the stories coming!!!! Kathy

• swannie
    swannie Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2003
    Options

A friend's mom had breast cancer 23 years ago - radical mastectomy and radiation, I think. I know she didn't have chemo. She had a local recurrance in the skin on her scar about 7 years in and had it removed and definitely radiation that time. She has been cancer free for 16 years since then!

• shelliks
    shelliks Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I have not seen this thread before today! I was dx'd 9/22/03 during a axillary lymph node excision, but am having pre-op Taxotere to clean me up a bit before surgery, so I have no idea how many more positive lymph nodes, but I do have a palbable (very small) supraclavicular lymph node (bummer).

BUT, my mom was dx'd in 1980 with metaplastic bc (rare and aggressive). She did not have lymph node involvement. She is a 24 year survivor with no recurrence. She had a radical mastectomy and chemo.
  • scootersmom
    scootersmom Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2003
    Options

If any of you want to read a sucess story against all the odds, read Lance Armstrong's book "It is not about the bike". My attitude stunk when I was first diagnosed and my brother bought me this book and I saw how terrible I was being. This man beat all the odds. Now he had testicular cancer, but still. He really went through it.

• JulieK
    JulieK Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2003
    Options

Great thread, thanks. That said, there was never any doubt in my mind that I'm going to live to an old age, with or more likely without my boobs.

• Joan1212
    Joan1212 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2003
    Options
    My son-in-law works for a law firm and I asked him to e-mail me a synopsis of one of the senior partners. This sounds like a miracle. I want to share this with you. I have to add that the plane flights were a nightmare as he had naseau, etc. I believe this man is in his late 50"s or early 60's

My son-in-laws e-mail follows:

He had malignant melanoma on the retina of his eye. They call this "Ocular Melanoma." He had the option about 6-7 yrs. ago when he was diagnosed to either have his eye removed or to take it out at surgery, put a radioactive seed over the melanoma, and to put the eye back. He opted for the latter.

He passed by 5 or 6 years with a clean bill of health. Earlier this year, he had abdominal symptoms. The doctors finally determined that the melanoma metastasized to his liver, and that 80% of his liver was cancerous. He was given about 6 months to live.

After getting a variety of opinions, he went to the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, MD to take part in an experimental study. 6 months later, his 80% liver involvement is now down to 1%, and that might (or might not) even still be regressing.

Too early to call it a cure, but he wasn't expected to last until Christmas.

Joan
  • Joan1212
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Here is the follow up on my "success story". This is in the IndyStar today.

Click on this site and read the details of this "incredible story"

http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/092646-6765-009.html

Joan
    -
  • sgolden
    sgolden Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2003
    Options

That is a very cool and inspiring story. Just the reason I say statistics are just statistics, not people. Thank you so much for this post.

• carmelle
    carmelle Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2003
    Options
    moving to the top.
    Michelle
  • nycmom
    nycmom Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2003
    Options

Happy Rockefeller, Betty Ford, Betty Rollin (author of First You Cry) think their b.c. was closer to 30 yrs ago and all are alive.

• shazza35
    shazza35 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Hey every1, wat a fab idea, to tell all about the success stories we know about and not to dwell on all the bad stories we're so often told about!

I have such a story.
    My maternal Aunt had b.c approx 25yrs ago. She is now in her early 80's and is as fit as any1 else her age! She hasn't had any recurrences either!

I just hope that I end up like her!
    It's very uplifting to know that there is so many survivors out there. It gives me hope and I'm sure every1 else who is newly diagnosed, for the future. It doesn't have to be the death sentence that it used to be!

Keep up the fight!

Shazza x
  • jeng
    jeng Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2003
    Options

The lady that owns the wig shop in town had BC in 1971! No further problems! She was a hairdresser prior to dx and found a need and filled it. Such compassion for me when I had to shop for my new hair. It was great to hear of her long term - no recurrance- survival as such a scary time for me.

• Lorrie
    Lorrie Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2003
    Options

I worked with a couple ladies who had breast cancer over 25 years ago. They had mastectomies and radiation and are doing fine. Also my mom lives in senior apt. where many women are survivors from breast cancer of over 25 years. I don't know details of their stories...but it certainly is uplifting and with all the new and improved treatments we have had, I feel reassured that we will all be telling our stories 20, 30, and 40 years from now! My best to all of you.

• Joan1212
    edited December 2003
    Options
    I lived in a surburban area of Long Island, NY 18 years ago, which had and still has a high rate of breast cancer.
    I had a large group of friends that had mastectomy's, ..one night we went out for dinner out of 6 couples, 4 of my girl friends had breast cancer...(there were many more in our area that weren't there that night ....Happy to report all of the dinner group are alive and well today, along with the large majority of the ones that weren't there for dinner.
    Oddly enough, when I found out I had it, I think I took it "too" lightly.

Good Luck to us all,
    Hugs,
    Joan
  • kobie
    kobie Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2003
    Options

Great post! It seems you only hear about the problems , it's so refreshing and uplifting to hear about the successes. Thanks for the inspiration!!

• Sachi
    Sachi Member Posts: 63
    edited December 2003
    Options
    Hi everyone - I just wanted to bump my favorite thread back up to the top.

Merry Christmas !!!

Barb
  • jg
    jg Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2004
    Options
    My friend's mother in law had a bi-lat mast 20 years ago, no chemo or rads and NO recurrance.

My sis was dx bout 7-8 years ago, had bi-lat mast w/no other treatment. Dx with bone mets the next year. She had planned her funeral, told everyone good-bye, took a trip she had put off for years.
    Well, when I talked to her last week she was starting a new chemo and telling me about her latest grandkid. Moral of the story, don't start giving away your things too soon!!!
  • mcoder
    mcoder Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2004
    Options
    My mother was diagnosed with BC when she was 65, this Feb. she will be 77 and still going strong!!
    Karen
  • lmware
    lmware Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I wanted to move this to the top - I'm in need of some uplifting stories about node positive people!!

Lisa
  • sams_mom
    sams_mom Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2004
    Options

My husband's distant cousin was in her 30s when she was diagnosed. She had a radical mastectomy (not sure if there was even any chemo or radiation back then. She's in her 80s now. And her daughter is an oncologist.

• Sachi
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Hi everyone! I worked with a woman yesterday whose mother had BC 30 years ago. She's 72 now and doing great!

Barb
  • lorac
    lorac Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Thanks, Barb - Let's keep this one going!
    Carol
  • NYCarol
    NYCarol Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I met a woman on Tuesday who was a secretary in an opthomoligist's office who has had bone mets from BC for 8 1/2 years and she is doing great! Currently she is on Femera only although she has previously been on chemo for over 8 years. I assume with changes and breaks, but we didn't discuss that. 8 1/2 years, working and looking great!

Carol
  • yasamira
    yasamira Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I was diagnosed on August 13, 2003 (about 5.5 months ago.) My tumor was 5cm with at least 2 positive nodes.

I went through 8 chemos and after the 2nd round the tumor was nowhere to be felt.

Lumpectomy and 12 nodes out showed no cancer anywhere. Not just clear margins, no cancer!

I'm going through radiation at present. Happy to say I'm cancer free.

Best,

Kiwihead Julie
  • WendiLou
    WendiLou Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Just moving this back up to the top!
    Wendy
  • Sachi
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I went looking for my favorite thread and it had escaped to the 2nd page!!! Well, we can't have that. Just thought I'd add that I subbed in my daughter's school today with a woman who is 5 years out from her diagnosis.

Back to the front with you, thread!!!

Barb
  • Sachi
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Back to the top with this thread!

B
  • rosebudd
    rosebudd Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2004
    Options

I just met a woman yesterday who was diagnosed with breast cancer 13 years ago. She had a 9cm tumor with 6 positive nodes. She had a recurrence in the bone and then 5 years ago a recurrence in the liver. She had radiation on the liver twice and the cancer was gone. She is not taking any chemo and is cancer free and loving life!

• carmelle
    carmelle Member Posts: 133
    edited February 2004
    Options
    i liked the last story alot! moving this to the front for any newcomers to see.

Michelle