Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin

Options

Comments

• agness
    agness Member Posts: 406
    edited February 2015
    Options

Taxols push potassium out of your body so it is important to make sure you get extra. Raisins, orange fruits like tangerines and cantelope, plus spinach are good sources. Don't bother with supplements, they have barely any potassium in them.

You can read more about symptoms of yew poisoning (Taxols were derived from the Pacific Yew) and hypokalemia.

Carboplatin pushes magnesium out of the body and many people are deficient in magnesium from too much stress or insufficient amounts from their diets. Magnesium can be supplemented but it is best taken (I have learned after looking a lot into this) orally in small doses taken frequently, or else through the skin (transdermal) by soaking in epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) which goes right into the blood stream. I found Natural Calm brand magnesium, a powder that I mix into a liter of water and sip throughout the day. You know you are getting enough if any constipation starts to loosen. Even with diarrhea you should probably supplement magnesium if you are getting Carbo.

I would work really hard in between the rounds to try to restore my intestinal health my taking probiotic supplements, and eating probiotic foods such as fermented sauerkraut, cottage cheese, yogurt, gouda, miso. It really seemed to help. Chemo is way worse than antibiotics on the gut, it kills the flora and destroys your gut lining and the microenvironment. In order to assimilate nutrients and help your body deal with the toxins and stress of chemo you need to fight to get your gut back in gear as much as you can.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited March 2015
    Options

Bananas, skins on potatoes and dried apricots also have potassium.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,107
    edited March 2015
    Options

My Mother told a story about her younger sister saying potato skins were her favorite "vegetable". This would have been in the 1920's, but i love them too.

• Fionascottie
    Fionascottie Member Posts: 56
    edited March 2015
    Options

April25.....I, too had horrible diarrhea during chemo. I used Immodium AND Lomotil to at least cut down on the frequency. The cramps related to each incident were very painful. My oncologist seemed baffled at first, but in the end she blamed it on Perjeta. I don't know which med or meds were responsible, but I had diarrhea from the first cycle of chemo until approximately 6-8 weeks after my last chemo. Things really did finally get better! I'm happy to say!

I'm still getting Herceptin every three weeks and there haven't been really any bad side effects. There was a question about heard function from an echo so the infusions were stopped until a cardiologist reviewed tests. I'm back on Herceptin and it will be every three weeks until April to make a full year. The three or four pounds I lost during chemo have come back, bringing along a few more.

Hang in there if you are currently getting chemo! Things WILL get better!

• april25
    april25 Member Posts: 367
    edited March 2015
    Options

Fionascottie -- Thanks for telling me your experiences. I'm suspecting the Perjeta, too, since my MO reduced the taxotere and it didn't make any difference at all! (I don't know why he hasn't re-upped the dose, but since he figured it would be OK to reduce it, I'm not going to worry too much...)

I'm taking Immodium and Lomotil and Questran powder... but it really doesn't make a dent. I'm getting two weeks of IV drips (24 hours a day), staring 4 days after I get the chemo. I'm losing 10lbs each cycle, but I have a few days at the end of the cycle and the beginning of the next when things nearly get back to normal and I make sure to eat a lot then. Yo-yo-ing up and down can't be good, though! But I'm never getting too skinny, so that's one good thing at least (going between 130 and 140 each time... and I'm 5'5").

Being tied to the IV drips is crazy-making, but I just have to deal. At least it's not uncomfortable... just restricting.

I am getting a bit weak from lack of exercising, though...!

I'm hoping that the diarrhea will stop when the chemo ends... So far I've been bouncing back decently at the end of each cycle, so I have hopes!!!

----

Thanks all for the tips on potassium-rich foods! ... heh... I'd eat more of them if I think I was actually able to have them stick around long enough for my intestines to absorb it!!! gah... That's the problem with the diarrhea... I can eat and drink a ton, but it doesn't help. Of course, I don't really feel up to eating and drinking so much! AND... I can always try to eat the right stuff on the few days when things aren't so bad, of course.

• CassieCat
    CassieCat Member Posts: 863
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm pretty sure the Perjeta is what caused big D for me when I had it. I'm on Herceptin only now and going through rads, and I have very mild D from time to time. But my MO was pretty sure it was Perjeta causing me those problems before. I'm sorry you're having such a rough time of it, april.

• april25
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks, CassieCat.

You know... it's not so bad. I think a body can get used to just about anything. Now that I'm going through this for the 4th time, I sort of know what to expect, at least, so it's not quite a scary. Still a pain in the a**, (sometimes literally!), but do-able, at least. I'm just happy not to have something really horrible, like the heart problems some people have! Getting tied to an IV drip is very inconvenient and frustrating, but at least I know it won't last forever!

I do think I'm losing muscles, though... It's hard to even walk around, even if the IV is supposedly portable! I can do it, but I still have a line that gets caught on stuff... and the IV bag is pretty heavy when it's full! Also-- the chemo makes my feet tender (neuropathy, I'm guessing)... I really should try and get to a stationery cycle... but as I said, it's a bit of a pain getting around. I'm just hoping I will be so happy to be done with chemo... and then surgery... that after that, I'll be diligent about getting some exercise!

---

I'd be happy enough if it was the Perjeta causing the D, I guess... as long as it isn't the Herceptin, since I'll have to continue on that for years, I think! ... Some people are getting Perjeta after surgery, too... but I think that is only with chemo, right? ???

---

CassieCat-- So you did Radiation, too? I'm not exactly clear on who gets that, but I think I'll probably have to have it after surgery also... Are you done with it yet? I hope it's going OK for you!

• CassieCat
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had neoadjuvant chemo from 8/28/14-12/15/14, then MX on 1/9/15, and then I started rads on 2/12/15. I'm about 3 weeks through a total of 7 weeks of rads. Node involvement is why I'm doing it, despite MX and complete response to chemo. I'm also on Herceptin every three weeks for one year, and I'll start Tamoxifen after rads. Triple positives have lots of treatment options, and I remind myself that we're lucky in that respect.

You're right about our bodies' ability to adjust and adapt. Amazing, really, when you think about it. I sometimes wonder if I'm more tired than I realize, and that I'll only truly see it once I'm not actively going through treatments anymore.

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had rads because of node involvement also, sometimes they do it for large tumors, if the margins weren't clean or if the tumor was really close to the chest wall.  Just a few reasons.

• april25
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think I'm going to have rads because I'm getting a lumpectomy... I haven't had that set up yet... Still haven't sorted the surgery yet... I guess that'll happen after chemo is done. I've made an MRI appointment after chemo... and surgeon appointment after that...

It's nice to be thinking of what's happening AFTER chemo! I can't wait until chemo ends! Kind of crazy, eh? But really... this isn't horrible, but it's no picnic, either!

• april25
    edited March 2015
    Options

Red spots? Is that an allergic reaction? I hope they clear up quickly for you.

• CassieCat
    edited March 2015
    Options

What kind of red spots?

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited March 2015
    Options

It is pretty common to have a rash from taxanes.  Mine went away once I was done, my friend who did AC-T had this also, and once she was done with tx hers went away too.  If you are prone to rashes, or have sensitive skin, this seems to happen a lot.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2015
    Options

if the spots aren't raised and don't itch they could be petechiae ,a benign occurrence which can be a SE from treatment. I had them during ACT 10 years ago.

No worries,

Hugs

• AllYouNeedIsLove
    AllYouNeedIsLove Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey all! Was just browsing through and wanted to share my experience (some of it anyways) I lost so much muscle during my TCHP treatments. I finished my last chemo on Feb. 10th of this year and am just now able to walk only a mile on my treadmill. I went from being very active, working out 4-6 days a week, to not being able to stand up on my own (during the worst part) I lost about 10-15 lbs and only gained about 5 back. I was wondering how long it took any of you to regain your strength? Much love to you all XO

• Kthielen
    Kthielen Member Posts: 176
    edited March 2015
    Options

it took a while to gain my strength back, probably 3-4 months after chemo or maybe even longer because of radiation. I am just now feeling strong again, working out and getting in to a "normal" routine and I have been done with chemo for 10 months.

I have a question about my nails....my last chemo was May 28th in which all of my nails lifted about 5-6 weeks after. They are finally almost completely grown back but this week they are sore again like they were before they lifted.....did this happen to anyone else and did you lose your nails again??

Thanks in advance

• windgirl
    windgirl Member Posts: 208
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi, this is not an answer to your question but wanted to say you give me hope about nails. Mines are lifted and growing but not reattaching. It's good to hear that there is a possibility that they will attach in a couple of month

• minustwo
    edited March 2015
    Options

Kthielen - Did you continue Herceptin for most of last year? Herceptin has been known to slow hair & nail growth or continue to keep the nail problems aggravated. I'm 18 months post TCHP but only finished Herceptin 5 month ago. I did ice my nails for Taxotere so never did loose them totally. I still have issues with one big toenail with dead nail on top & not growing back and two fingernails continuing to pull away from the bed. You might check with your dermatologist - yep that's who specializes in nails, hair & skin. Could be Pseudomonas bacteria under the nails, or a fungus, or ???

• CassieCat
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm 3 months PFC and still on Herceptin, and I'd say most of my nails are lifting in minor to major ways. Most look like they're about halfway grown out, so I'm hoping that the part that looks healthy will remain that way. I hope they aren't going to lift again months and months from now. This has been one of the most irritating SEs for me, becuase it lingers on and on and is a daily irritation.

Jacs...I think I've lost muscle mass, too, as my weight is down and I'm having a hard time putting it back on. I'm in rads right now, and my energy levels are somewhat down, too. I'm hoping to do the local YMCA Livestrong program this summer, if they offer a session of it. My BS's office is going to help me with that. I've been walking, but I think I need to do more.

• DaisyQ
    DaisyQ Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2015
    Options

JacsChristine: I am having a rough time with returning to my normal routine and activity levels. I tried to do some yard work last weekend..I am just really out of shape. To be fair, I am 7 days into rads and still getting Herceptin so I am going to take it slow and steady and not beat myself up too much.

Cassie Cat: I am struggling with weight loss too. My wonderful infusion nurse brought in a dietician to review my diet. It was really, really helpful. The foods I tend to enjoy the most do not have enough calories and I do not snack between meals. So I am researching healthy foods that will provide the calories I need to reach my goals. I am using an app called MyFitnessPal to track what I eat each day so I reach my target caloric intake. After a few days it is obvious that I don't get enough carbs. I hope if I focus on adding more carbs and snacking between meals, I can get to my goal and start to put on a few more pounds. We'll see where I am in 3 weeks when I go back for another round of Herceptin.

I like the idea of the Livestrong program at the YMCA. I will call on Monday to enroll as I tend to overdo it when left to my own devices.

Have a great weekend, ladies!

Amy

• debiann
    debiann Member Posts: 447
    edited March 2015
    Options

How many total herceptin tx did everyone do? I did 14 out of an expected 16.  My MO asked if I wanted to stop, that by now it had done its job and if it didn't 2 more tx weren't going to make a difference. I elected to do the last 2 tx, but I starting to wonder if his rational made sense and I should stop. So far I'm not having any se's from it and my LVEF is 65. Hopefully it stays that way 

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had 17, some have 18 - depends on how your onc counts.

• minustwo
    edited March 2015
    Options

minivan - rant away. Sounds like you're winding up the worst after the last session. If you're having trouble getting down lots of fluid, what about asking for a liter at the infusion center? It made a big difference for me. If you have any doubts, go ahead and see your ophthamalogist. I saw mine twice during the process because I'm freaky about eyes.

Debiann - I also had 17 Herceptin infusions.

• debiann
    edited March 2015
    Options

Minivan, so sorry to hear of your troubles and it only adds to your anxiety when no help is offered. An infusion of  extra fluids can really help. I too had the weepy eyes and blurry vision. I held off seeing my eye doctor till a few months after chemo ended, and interestingly my vision improved.

The bad mouth taste and taste changes were the worst! I thought my taste buds would never return to normal, but they did. I found the mints with xyitol helped, but nothing took it away.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

• amylsp
    amylsp Member Posts: 96
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hang in there minivan! I hope you feel better soon.

I'm five weeks out from last chemo. The fatigue was overwhelming at times and I'm still feeling it, though it's getting gradually better.

It's my legs now. It started three weeks after chemo ended. My legs feel sore and stiff like I just did a big workout. And I have mild shin splints as well. MO says there's probably mild swelling from capillary damage that could take months to go away! Chemo, the gift that keeps on giving!

On a positive note, my first week of radiation was uneventful. Now just 5 1/2 more weeks to go!

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am on this regime and had no idea what I was in for, of course do you get an option, when you have hercepton 2+? I recovered a good bit in the last 7 days before dose 2 of chemo, and I hydrated much better so far, got to day 3 past chemo, and things are looking poorly, the fatigue is showing up, and waiting on diarrhea as the first 2-3 days are constipated, so prune. Juice works for me, tomorrow will get on the regime, but those cramps are ferocious and can't wait to empty the stomach, but hemroids are not happy. Mouth sores, nose bleeds, awful taste in mouth, hair coming out, hope nails stay, even though they are breaking at each bump. Headaches and indigestion wicked. And acne, nut not sure the cause, I was taking aloe juice for mouth sores and they told be to stop. Might be the cause, so I stopped for now, supposedly it is toxic in rats? Go figure. Something natural like aloe Vera juice?

• april25
    edited March 2015
    Options

minivan -- I'm not sure if there are answers, but my MO is sending me to an opthamologist because he said some people get eye problems-- either weepy eye or dry eye... and I've got a bit of dry eye. Even if there is no answer, at least I feel better getting it checked out. When my heart was beating fast, they gave me an echo-cardiogram to be sure, and had a cardiologist see me. She reassured me that it didn't look like the chemo was causing any heart problems... but that dehydration could cause the rapid heartbeat. BUT you know chemo can cause heart problems--so you should at least get an echo to have a look. At the very least, it can rule stuff out and that might reassure you a bit.

People were telling me that MOs have to know a lot about everything because there are just so many SE of chemo and other treatments. My MO is always asking about things (like whether I'm having eye problems, or mouth problems). Sometimes he'll send me to another doctor to check it out (as with the eyes), and other times he have me do something, like take l-glutamine powder, for mouth tenderness.

----

MUSCLE TONE -- I'm in my 5th cycle and I've definitely got very bad muscle tone. Sad to hear that this can continue after chemo... I was hoping to try and be better after chemo... but I do know that the effects can last longer.

Maybe I really will need to look into getting a stationery cycle... Walking is a bit tricky for me. I hurt my ankle (I think the chemo messed up my muscles and I caught my foot and twisted it-- I told my MO (after weeks!) and he's sending me to a foot doctor to get it checked out because it's now numb and I'm experiencing foot-drop! -- I think I need to be a bit more pro-active with my health... but chemo was really taking up all my attention...).

I've got a gym membership, but haven't gone since starting chemo... and am not sure I can manage to do much there even after chemo... I'm kind of lying about a lot these days, doing not much... more puts me out of breath, unfortunately!

WEIGHT LOSS -- I have never in my life had a problem putting on weight! But I've been yo-yoing during chemo-- up and down by 10 lbs. each cycle! I know this can't be healthy... but so far I'm at least glad I can make the lbs back up at the end of the cycle. But I do worry that these last two cycles will be worse...! So far I've almost got back to normal at the very end of the cycle... So I was hoping this would be true at the end of chemo... I guess I can only hope!!!

Did you all have a tougher time through the last sessions??? Or were they the same as the others???

NAILS -- When did you all start having problems with lifting? I'm just wondering what to expect. Was it AFTER chemo ended??? Or did it just continue afterwards?

--I'm set for Radiation and Herceptin and something else--femara? afterwards... Need to know what i might expect...

5th cycle and no nail lifting yet--- BUT I have those white bands showing... My fingertips are a little numb. Sometimes my nails hurt, but not always. Sometimes my feet are tender, but not all the time... *sigh*

• spriteb
    spriteb Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello. I've had slight conflicting information from two MO's I've met with and I just was hoping to get some of your thoughts. I was diagnosed in Feb with triple + grade 3IDC, stage 1a, 2cm. I've had a lumpectomy and sentinal node removal. I will be starting Taxotere and carboplatin for 18 weeks as well as herceptin. The first MO said I should get the herceptin every week for the first 18 weeks and the second MO said I should just get the herceptin every 3 weeks from the start. Just wondering what everyone else's experience has been? Thanks!

• debiann
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome SpriteB and sorry you're here.  While I've heard of some doing the weekly herceptin, I don't know the rational is for doing it that way. You should ask the MO why he recommends that schedule.

I did the herceptin every three weeks. I believe many, if not most of us on here did it that way. 

Good luck to you. Join the Chemo in April thread, its a good support to be able to talk to others going through the same thing.

• CassieCat
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had Herceptin every three weeks, along with chemo. Chemo ended in December and now I'm getting Herceptin only every three weeks to complete the year of treatment.

april25 - my nails didn't start to hurt until after my 5th infusion, and now at 14 weeks PFC all ten are in various states of lifting. I think it was slow to start and will be slow to heal.