Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin

Options

Comments

• debiann
    debiann Member Posts: 447
    edited March 2015
    Options

April, So sorry to here of the drop foot. After chemo I had a long (13hour) surgery -mx with diep recon. I woke up from surgery with drop foot. It takes time for the nerve to heal, but physical therapy can also help resovle the problem. I had some neurophy from chemo too and I take B6 for that. I hope your drop foot gets better soon.

Last week an ultrasound revealed a popiliteal (Baker's) cyst in the same leg that needs to be further evaluated with by mri. The fun never stops!

• april25
    april25 Member Posts: 367
    edited March 2015
    Options

debiann == Whoah--drop foot from surgery? Geesh... who knew? I hope you're doing ok, too. Good luck with the cyst, too. Hope it doesn't cause you trouble...

Kthielen == Yeah... cancer and all the treatments for cancer definitely sucks! I keep thinking I'll manage to avoid bad SEs but things keep popping up anyway! --But at least I'm not getting the pain that comes with neuropathy. And I really do hope something can be done for my drop foot. I used to walk fast and even run around a bit, but can't do it with the stupid foot! Hopefully I can get a brace in the meantime, just so I won't trip over my foot again and re-injure it... and maybe be able to get around a bit more easily. I can walk, but I have to be careful when I do it, and I can't move quickly at all... *sigh*

• debiann
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes April, drop foot from surgery. They said it was from the surgical compression boot pressing on the nerve. 

I was given a brace to wear at night to keep my foot flexed in a more natural position, otherwise my toes pointed down and caused discomfort in my calf. The physical therapy can't help the nerve repair any faster, but it keeps your muscles working normally while the nerve heals.

• DaisyQ
    DaisyQ Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2015
    Options

minivan: Sorry for your discomfort. It sounds like one thing after the other.. The leg swelling sounds awful. How many days are you supposed to "wait it out?" I did not bounce back as quickly as I expected either. Your mention of UTI caught my eye. I never had problems with UTI's, but since finishing TCHP I have had 3. None required antibiotics though. I do think my taste was back at about 5 weeks PFC-right around my BMX. I hope your sense of taste returns quickly and the leg/foot swelling resolves. Hang in there, you'll start feeling better!

• CassieCat
    CassieCat Member Posts: 863
    edited March 2015
    Options

minivan, one of the ladies in the August chemo group had a lot of swelling too, and I believe her MO gave her an Rx for it eventually. She did finally lose all that fluid weight, but it was slow going if I recall correctly. I hope you're feeling better soon. Cancer sucks, chemo sucks, it all sucks. But it does get better.

• april25
    edited March 2015
    Options

minivan -- Sorry to hear about the leg and feet swelling. I've been getting edema, too... but I think mine is mostly from the IV drips I'm on for 2 weeks each cycle (to treat dehydration due to diarrhea). It goes away at the beginning of the cycle when I'm not on the IV drip... But it could be aided by the TCH... That stuff seems to be able to cause all kinds of SEs, so who knows? Anyway, the swelling definitely doesn't help my blocked peroneal nerve and drop foot (sigh).

I do hope the swelling goes away for you, at least after you finish chemo, if not (preferably) before that... It seems like the docs focus on the chemo and the cancer and there could be a LOT more done for all the side effects, since they can be rather horrible... and can keep people from getting the chemo they need!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited March 2015
    Options

mini - when was your last echocardiogram and what was your LVEF? Foot and leg swelling can be indicative of chf and should not be ignored by your doc. At the very least you can have a low dose diuretic to help you get rid of the excess fluid. You need to be a squeaky wheel

• windgirl
    windgirl Member Posts: 208
    edited April 2015
    Options

minivan I had about 10 pounds of swelling too and mostly in legs and feet. I was told to wait it out didnt believe it would improve but magically peed it out over two distinct periods, it took 3 months to fully resolve after last chem

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260
    edited April 2015
    Options

mini, sorry about your swelling and pain, I too don't think I pee as much as I should, drink all day, and pee very little, I had my second chemo on the 19th and 1st hercepton after that and I broke out again with acne, but this time it's in the scalp too, anyone else get pimples that are sore? Another infusion Wednesday, so will bring it to Drs attn maybe I'm allergic to hercepton?

• Jerseygirl927
    edited April 2015
    Options

hope that more peeing will reduce swelling under arms at surgery sites, each side from the double mast. But of course when you go for chemo or hercepton you get more hydration along with drugs that probably make you retain fluids. Still drinking but not peeing it out. Hope it won't be months later that it eventually goes, going to dr tomorrow to see if seranoma needs to be drained? It's getting uncomfortable.

• Kthielen
    Kthielen Member Posts: 176
    edited April 2015
    Options

jersey girl,

I did break out on my face and scalp(as well as a few sores on my arms that were more like pustules). Are you on Perjeta? My MO thought it was from that. He ordered me Clindamycin gel and that helped sooo much! Good luck!

• Jerseygirl927
    edited April 2015
    Options

No perjeta.... They are still telling me chemo. It seems to appear 5-6 days after the big chemo. I am putting an older cortisone cream on it and that seems to be fading them , if they weren't on my face, I might try the benedryl cream, they tell me the ones on top of the scalp are sore because of location? hydrate girls, I do feel better since drinking more. Lol. Not booze?

• Gretagirl
    Gretagirl Member Posts: 129
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi

I am brand new to this site. Username Gretagirl. I am scheduled to start treatment in a few weeks. I am trying to talk with ER PR HER2 positive ladies. I will be treating with Hereceptin Taxoterend Carboplatin. I can't seem to find any recent discussion boards (May June 2015). Also very anxious to hear any and all advice!

• PMR53
    PMR53 Member Posts: 185
    edited June 2015
    Options

Gretagirl

I finished this treatment in March. I get Herceptin only now. You will be premeditated with many anti nausea meds. Chemo is hard but you can get through this. Surround yourself with caring supportive people. Ask questions to nurses and your Medical Oncologist (MO) one of the biggest things that helped me was I applied bags of frozen peas to my toes and my fingernails during the taxotere portion. It saved my nails. No lifting no change. Easy to do. Just pack a cooler and bring every tx. You will lose your hair by the 2nd tx. Get ready shave it before. Get a wig now. If you want a real hair wig which can cost up to 2000.00 or you may just do scarves. You can apply for a free wig at Lollyslocks.com.

We are here for you. I am so sorry you have to deal with this. Please private message me if you have any more questions.

PMR53

• SlowDeepBreaths
    SlowDeepBreaths Member Posts: 6,702
    edited June 2015
    Options

Welcome to BCO Gretagirl! You picked a great place for support while going through treatment.

My biggest tip is to stay hydrated. My biggest side effect was constipation.

A new thread has been started for members starting chemo in June. Here is the link..

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topic/831849?page=6#idx_152

Also, if you go to active topics, you may find another group more specific to your treatment.

Feel free to PM me too if you have any questions!!

Best wishes and gentle hugs to you!!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,108
    edited June 2015
    Options

Gretagirl - Slow Deep has hooked you up with the group who will be going through the experience with you & that's very valuable. I also read the chemo group just before the one I joined. Below is a thread that lists most of what you'll need to prepare. Again, it's not very active but we keep "bumping" it so that new people will be able to read the advice. Good luck.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topic/...

• CassieCat
    CassieCat Member Posts: 863
    edited June 2015
    Options

Gretagirl, I'm sorry you have to find yourself in this position, but I'm glad you found these boards. I finished TCHP (Perjeta is the P) back in December. Being a part of the August 2014 chemo board was really helpful for me. There also a thread called Triple Positive, and a couple of new TCHP threads. Let us know what questions you have. Chemo is tough, but you get through it.

• Teakae
    Teakae Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hello

I just had my first TCH treatment last Thursday and it has been a week. I was fortunate not to have severe sideeffects. But I am puzzled at a few that I did have because I didn't read about them anywhere. Can anybody tell me if they experienced them? Thanks in advance.

Eyeball pain, pressure, vision changes where saturations seem up and everything was bright. I had to wear my sunglasses in bed. I had some nausea and I thought it was a GI symptom until I realized it was from the eye pain. After the 3rd day I took some ibuprofen and it made it all better.  A week out now, I still have some eye pain and pressure and vision changes. No watering, no focus problems, no itching or dry eye.

Stabbing pain on head. I have a few sore spots on the back of my head that hurts like someone is stabbing me with a pencil. It is a specific areas and hurts below the skin above the bone.

Weird jaw and teeth pain. Discomfort all along my molars and stabbing pain under my jaws. sometimes stabbing pain in ears. I also have bleeding gums now. I had my teeth checked by a dentist a few months ago everything was OK.

Pain under my collar bone and down under the sternum. It is like someone kicked me there and there is squeezing pressure then slowly lets go. It occurred a lot after port placement, like very hour but now it is only occaisionally. It also hurts and tightens my breathing when I first lay down, then eases.

My stomach, thighs and buttocks are cold!. I am warm elsewhere, even a little sweaty but my belly and butt are sooo cold. I use my heating pad and rotate around the areas and it never gets warm!

• minustwo
    edited June 2015
    Options

Teakae - I'm sorry I'm not aware of any side effects like you're mentioning. I do think they are serious & you should call your MO immediately - do not pass go. Eyes are nothing to fool with, nor is the head pain. Since your jaws are bleeding it's even more urgent that you call right away. When you had your port installed, did you discuss the sternum pain then? I wonder if it has something to do w/how the catheter tube is laying since that is threaded through one of the large veins near your neck & down to your heart. But that is pure conjecture & you should ask your doc. You don't list where you are located, but every MO has someone on call 24 hours a day. Please do come back & let us know how you are.

• Gretagirl
    edited June 2015
    Options

thank you for sharing with me! I found this response by accident. How do I find any responses to my post?

• Gretagirl
    edited June 2015
    Options

I sent you a PM not sure if it worked. If you didn't receive please let me know on discussion board. I do not understand the ice on fingers and toes

• minustwo
    edited June 2015
    Options

Gretagirl - click on the link that says "add to my favorites" when you are in a thread. Then you'll see My Favorite Threads on the left & it will show activity. I'm not sure who you're asking about the PM, but I didn't get any messages.

• rosesrx
    rosesrx Member Posts: 264
    edited June 2015
    Options

Gretagirl, glad you found us, sorry you are part of the club,. As the others have said there is a triple positive group a well as a June chemo thread. Mark them as your favorites or cruise through the active topics. On my tablet the ones I have read are changed tp purple. It is also good to go to the previous month to see what to expect.

Teakae, ah yes the headache an photophobia are probably due to the Taxotere (14-24% incidence) I can take the edge off with Tylenol. Blurry vision too but I was thinking with contact lens the claritin might be drying my eyes out. No stabbing pains here so I would probably talk to MO. Bleeding gums, have you switched to a soft tooth brush? I have had a tooth ache, bloody nose when I blow too hard and when wiping after bm (probably hemorrhoids) from day 10 on. My H&H looked good so MO wasnt concerned but again ask. Bring a list if you have to. My most annoying constant one is my ears ringing (tinnitis) . Don't know what to tell you about the cold tush and thighs.

PM me as well if you have any questions.

• Gretagirl
    edited June 2015
    Options

thank you! I will try to keep up with boards! Have a ton of information and feels good to connect to others!

• Gretagirl
    edited June 2015
    Options

thanks!

• april25
    edited June 2015
    Options

I didn't have those Side Effects... but mouth sores/tender mouth, gum, tongue, can be pretty common. Also eye problems-- too dry or too teary, blocked tear-ducts, etc. Tell you Oncologist about ALL your issues. There are things they can check and ways to help just about anything, or at least they will know if anything serious is going on or not. Ask what can be done if they don't seem to be telling you anything helpful.

Generally, mouth tenderness can sometimes be helped with various mouth washes. There are prescriptions you can get for some, but some just use over-the-counter ones for dry-mouth... just don't use the really harsh ones with alcohol! Something gentle. My MO said that taking L-glutamine could help with mouth sores, but I'd check with you MO to see what he says. I got sent off to an opthamologist when my eyes seemed to get dry. I think I did get some weird flashes at times, but not intense colors as far as I know! Definitely get it checked out. Chemo seems to affect the body in all kinds of odd ways, so you never know what odd SEs may occur!

• Kthielen
    Kthielen Member Posts: 176
    edited June 2015
    Options

Gretagirl....did they mention Perjeta? It is a targeted therapy like Herceptin used to attack the Her2 protein. I would definitely ask for it! Like many others have asked please ask any specific questions....we are all here to help! My biggest side effects from chemo were nausea, diarrhea, disgusting taste in my mouth, difficulty eating. After my first treatment my head hurt all over, it was very sore.....I remember sitting a the dinner table crying because it hurt so bad. But I got through it all and you will too!! I am also triple positive...feel free to pm me if you would like!

Take care,

Kathy

• Blownaway
    Blownaway Member Posts: 662
    edited August 2015
    Options

It's been 8 months since I had 4 rounds TCH, 3 more of just H (heart failure - had to stop treatment), 36 rounds radiation, 7 months of Tamoxifen.....now starting to have some late developing issues and am not sure of the cause.

About 2-3 months ago I started having trouble "catching my breath" like I had back when my LVEF was at 35% (it has since recovered up to 49% - which my cancer center cardio department says is normal but if that is correct, then why did I start out with 56%, which according to my own cardiologist is low/normal).

I also began having pain in my wrists and knees but within just a few months, the pain has gradually taken over most of my body. I ache as if I have a high fever/flu but I don't have a fever and am not sick. Headache to go with it.

Also am noticing more simple mistakes at work and a lack of concentration, short term memory....I have to write post-it notes on everything I do, so that I know where I am on every little project I put aside.

My July labs said my thyroid meds needed to be reduced (for the second time) and that I was anemic (although my cancer center cardio dept said my labs looked good to them).

I have since consulted my primary care physician (PCP) who now has me on B12 injections and iron supplements and lowered by thyroid meds by half. Either of these issues could be the cause of the breathlessness. The cardiology/pulmonary department at my cancer center ran a full day of tests in July and saw nothing wrong with my lungs or heart.

My PCP wanted to try me on Xanax but at my suggestion, is trying me on Gabapentin for the all over pain I am having, hot flashes and insomnia. I had dropped Effexor because side effects and it was not helping with hot flashes anyway.

After the first night of 100 mg of Gabapentin, the all over pains are greatly reduced and so are the hot flashes, plus slept much better. I am supposed to up the dosage every three nights until I get to 300 mg or all symptoms are relieved. Looking forward to getting full relief.

Is anyone else who did the same regimen of chemo, etc having the same issue of delayed onset s/e's and does anyone know if the cause is chemo related or Tamoxifen related?

• debiann
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi blownaway.

We did chemo around the same time. I still get stiff and achy all over, but its manageable. I don't get hot flashes as much, it just seems like I have no tolerance for heat anymore. I take arimidex, may be the cause of these se's or maybe there leftover from chemo.

My breathing is ok, but I.get winded when walking fast or up steps. I think thats just a conditioning problem. I need to get in better shape!

I need to write myself notes too, and my focus isn't what it used to be, but not causing any issues. I did forget to pay the cable bill for 3 months in a row, but I blame them for that. Paperless billing sucks! I notice more little mistakes and recheck my work more closly now. Sometimes I get very tired and need to sneak a catnap.

My thyroid was off last two visits, but my meds weren't changed.  Still slightly anemic in july, mo said give it some more time.

• rosesrx
    rosesrx Member Posts: 264
    edited August 2015
    Options

I still have 2 more TCH to go, when taking the flight of stairs I am out of breath and HR up in the 115's takes about 10-15 min to recover. I haven't had thyroid checked since March. Go back in Oct for that. Have been writing stuff down for past 6 weeks or so.

Mom passed last week so added stress, improper eating have exagerated all side effects. I have been sleeping a lot this past week due to exhaustion. Steroids next week will mess things up as well. For the past 2 nights have played binaural recordings to help fall asleep instead of classical music per suggestion of therapist.

I see MO Monday and will ask when next echo due. I am taking Pristiq, to help with depression, myalgias and hot flashes. I won't start on AI til september.