Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bottle o Tamoxifen

Options

Comments

• Harley44
    Harley44 Member Posts: 2,126
    edited December 2007
    Options

Cynthia,

I had a bone density done several years ago, as a baseline.  I don't think it would hurt to get one now.  I was supposed to get another one, but that was before I decided to go the chemo route, and I figured that I didn't need another test at this point.

Hope you get a good report!

Harley

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

Lolita,

I have uterine fibroids, and I asked my surgeon if he would take them out.  He said NO... there are too many risks involved with the surgery, so they will probably just wait til something happens, and then rush us to the ER for an EMERGENCY HYST., which would be even MORE dangerous, I would think!! 

But, if you are worried, do what I am going to do... Since I already have fibroids, I am just going to insist on a transvaginal u/s EVERY YEAR, while I am on Tamoxifen.  That way, if they find anything, I can go for the hysterectomy and get it taken care of right away.

Happy New Year!

Harley

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

Barb,

Thanks for your bc success story.  TEN years is great!

The hair... well, first of all, it is GRAY!, almost completely, and it is still VERY short!!  I guess it's about 1/2" now, but everyone else who is 3 months out seems to have much longer hair, and they have even gone for haircuts!!  Mine is just now starting to cover my ear. 

How are you doing?  I have been thinking of you, and hope you are doing well.  Are you almost finished your rads?  Did you start Tamoxifen while still getting rads?  I know that some women don't start Tamoxifen until after rads, so I get confused sometimes.

Take care.  Have a great weekend, and a HAPPY & HEALTHY 2008!

Harley

• dcbkc
    dcbkc Member Posts: 137
    edited December 2007
    Options

Lynn,

Thanks for the info on the blood test and the colonoscopy too.  That's another thing I hadn't heard!  Have I been living under a rock?  I have had one before though, so I know what to expect.  I agree -- the prep is the worst. I guess the next five years are going to be all about tests.

To all:  Have a Happy New Year!  Here's hoping it can only get better!

D

• PuppyFive
    PuppyFive Member Posts: 539
    edited December 2007
    Options

{{D}} It will get Better!!

Just one more little "NAG" {hehe}

Please talk to Your doctor about the Fluid Pills

this is one that I think helped me with many SE

and Remember Tamox makes Your Bones Stronger!!

Happy New Year Sisters, WOW Sure gonna be a lot of NED DANCING

Puppy

• honeygirl
    honeygirl Member Posts: 136
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi ladies. Harley , my hair is very short too. To short for a hair cut. I just put product in it and go with the "messed up look"! I probably could go for a clean up in the neck area. But I am so cautious of cutting any of it right now. I'm just so thankful I have hair again!lol

I have a question , if anyone can help. I had an endometrial ablation in Feb and hysteroscopy. At my follow up visit , my gyn showed me pics of my uterus and said it looked healthy and no fibroids or anything. Can They use that to compare to a transvaginal us? Just wondered.

Well Harley , D , Puppy , Barb , Cynthia , Lisa , and all you other ladies Happy New Year! May it be the healthiest one we've ever have!xxxx

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

Honeygirl,

Thanks for the hair report.  Mine isn't even long enough to really go without...  I want it to look like I did this 'on purpose', and I think it may never look like I cut it this short on purpose... 

I don't see why they couldn't use those pics to compare with a transvaginal u/s...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, ya'll!

Harley

• honeygirl
    edited December 2007
    Options

Oh Harley , I know , it is so hard to have short , short hair. But I just figure the first person that gives me that "look" and says , "who cut your hair?" I'll just say chemo did!lol

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

honey,

That is too funny!  I'll have to remember that, when I start wearing my hair short.  I don't like the gray, but I don't want to do anything to cause problems with my treatment, so I will wait the SIX months that I read we must wait before I even think about coloring again!

Hugs

Harley

• honeygirl
    edited December 2007
    Options

Ahhhh , Ohhhh. My last tx was Aug. 1st. I colored my hair Dec. 22nd. I didn't know there was a "waiting" period. Oh well , I guess I'll be the Guinea pig and we'll see what happens!lol

• PuppyFive
    PuppyFive Member Posts: 539
    edited December 2007
    Options

HEHEHEHE

OH MY, YOU SO FUNNY!!

Puppy

• Kitwe
    Kitwe Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi

I've been on Tamoxifen since July.  I had some minor flashes in the beginning.  My period stopped.  I'm 56 and started menstruating when I was 9...way too much estrogen.

These past two  months I have had major hot flashes.  My face gets red and sweats.  I am GAINING weight.  My hair is OK.  My memory is off.  Years ago I took the pill to help this PMS memory fog.  It did help BUT it probably helped cause this LCIS too.

I did some mild whining to my onc.  When she did my exam, she found a lump on the "other" breast...ultra sound confirmed..waiting to schedule a biopsy.  No more complaining for me.

Has anyone else experienced memory problems beyond the normal everyday stuff?

You guys are wonderful...Thank you for always being here.  Cupcakes with nipples..scrumptious!

• ashaby
    ashaby Member Posts: 200
    edited December 2007
    Options

Dear Suze,

I'm the chef of the raspberry nippled cupcakes. I brought my surgeon 2 last week.My memory is on and off since Tamox but I am a painter so don't need to remember alot for work.

Basha

• honeygirl
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi Suze , I'm 50. Started my period at 10. I had my last period in Aug. Started Tamoxifen in Sept. So , no period since I started it. I have horrible hotflashes. Sometimes hourly. Lots of sweating. I can't get through a night without being soak and wet(head). I have memory problems too. When is your biopsy? Good luck to you.xxxx

• luckywife
    luckywife Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2007
    Options

I was on the tamox train for all 5 years allowed and had no meeting with cancer in that time. Side effects? Compared to chemo? Nothing I couldn't manage. Never had any other issues later either (7 years since stopped tamo).

It did me good.

-luckywife

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

honey,

Well... I have read lots of posts here and MOST women who color their hair do so BEFORE the six months is over, so I think you are fine.  I read somewhere that you should wait 6 months before coloring... 

I guess I am also just thinking that I should try to use less chemicals in and on my body, but it is really hard... I am only 44, way too early to be gray!!

Hugs

Harley

• honeygirl
    edited December 2007
    Options

Oh Harley , I know how you feel. You are so young , and I started to grey early too. It was so weird when my hair started to grow in. I have colored it red for so many years and it , of course , came back in "salt and pepper". I felt so old , because I have dyed it for years. I know the way you feel about putting chemicals in or on your body now. But I really feel better after coloring it. I guess somethings will never change for me!lol

• honeygirl
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Luckywife , thanks for stopping by and letting us know of your journey with tamoxifen. Did you have hotflashes when you were on it? I'd like to here what your side effects were. So glad you are nedSmile. xx Melody
  • gerbie
    gerbie Member Posts: 60
    edited December 2007
    Options

Just started reading this post as I just started tam about 2 weeks ago.  I already have the vaginal drainage SE ...yuck!  I thought I was through with pads years ago.  I took Femara for a year and felt "old before my time" as I told the Onc I act like my dad did when he got out of the recliner...only he was 83 and I am in my 50s.  It wasn't pretty!  I don't have any hot flashes and never got them with Femara either. 

I got my colonoscopy after I finished my rads.  Like you all said the prep stunk.  The doc gave me a new type sedative they use that you wake up from right away...short acting, sorry I can't remember the name of it.  He told me I didn't need to come back for 10 years all looked great.  Nice to get some good news for a change (even if they had to go up my a$$ to find it!!) 

Anyway, glad to read all your comments and I appreciate that you are here for us all.

Gerbie

• honeygirl
    edited December 2007
    Options

Gerbie , lol , sorry they had to go up your a$$ for a good report!lol Welcome and good luck to you. Melody

• Harley44
    edited December 2007
    Options

honey,

Yes, we are too young to have gray hair!!  Mine started turning gray when I was 22, and it hasn't stopped.  I started coloring it in my 30's, and I also colored it red!!  My wigs are red, too!  My hair is now coming in black and white, and gray.  The gray seems to be concentrated mainly on the sides, and it is really unattractive looking. 

gerbie, that is too funny!!  I will probably be getting a colonoscopy for my birthday.  I go back to see my general surgeon on April 4th, and my b-day is 4/21, so some time between 4/4 nad 4/21, I guess I'll be getting the test.  YICK!!    My surgeon said that he also does colonoscopies.  He said that his hospital puts you to sleep for them, and most places don't.  So, I guess I'll be going to his hospital for the colonoscopy, since I don't want to be awake!  My dh was telling my surgeon that when he got his colonoscopy, his dr. was showing him stuff, and he was going "neat!  What's that?"  My surgeon is funny!  He laughed and said "we won't be doing that!"  He knows how I am....I said YUCK!!!

Happy New Year, ya'll!

Harley

• luckywife
    luckywife Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2007
    Options

I was ned for the 5 years while on tamox and 2 more years  of nothing. I was in my second half of 30s when I took tamox. Some hot flashes may be...but compared to chemo stuff...nothing. Even with other horm. meds such as femara, faslodex, aromacin I did the same.

• ashaby
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hey wait a minute "hate grey" gals. I've had grey hair since I was 28 and I find it kinda gorgeous. Now I'm 56. Anyone else happy with it?

Basha

• garnetann
    garnetann Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi all

I started tamox on december 20th, one day after my last rad.  My hair is about maybe an inch or so.  My last chemo was october 18th.  I colored my hair for years, blonde, and it is coming in very dark.  I am not sure if it has any grey in it yet.  It is just dark.  I ditched the wigs when I started radiation because of the undressing and redressing included taking the wig on and off. Just a pain.  I now feel comfortable enough to be in public with short hair.  Still get a few odd looks, but like my hubby said, they are just jealous because I have an ultra chic hair style and they don't. Cool

So far, I don't have much in the way of se from the tamox, a little discharge but the hot flashes seem to be subsiding, still have them at night, but rarely during the day anymore.  Still looking for my elusive sex drive. 

• Kitwe
    Kitwe Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi  Thanks for your info.  Basha, enjoy your painting. I hope it is comforting.  I teach so I'm off this week --> this not thinking is great:)  I use to work with cognitively impaired kids so I could slip by with my memory lacking but I now work with kids on the Autism Spectrum and I don't get away with much.

What is the vaginal discharge?  Sometimes I think I have incontinence.  I can hardly make it to the bathroom in time.

Thanks for asking Honeygirl..my biopsy isn't scheduled yet.  I just got the news on Friday that I need one.  This will be my fourth one.  The first three were benign but the LCIS was found.  We'll see what this brings.

HAPPY HEALTHY NEW YEAR to ALL

• honeygirl
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi Basha , I'm glad you like your grey hair. I'm sure it looks gorgeous! I wish grey looked good on me. I would rather not dye it.  Some people look good in grey , but I'm not one of them. Layne , I'm sure yours is lovely too. So people mistake you for late 30s early 40s? Wow. Thats great. Happy New Year!

• ashaby
    edited December 2007
    Options

Dear Layne,

Hooray, you're here, albeit briefly.I think the secrets to good grey hair are enough color in your face and an immature attitude. That's me! Also, the darker dyes may be carcinogenic. I was dark brown auburnish too.

Now, my painting comes after 27 years as a psychotherapist. Yikes, i needed a break. But it was also fulfilling in a different way. I retired 5 years ago to paint full time.I have a small show I've exhibited called "My Cancer Story". It's moving on to 2 hospitals next fall.

Let me know if you have email at your training. Whatcha training for? I thought you were already perfect.

Basha (XX)

• VirginiaNJ
    VirginiaNJ Member Posts: 314
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hi Ladies!  Happy New Year!  Jeepers, I haven't checked in for a while and soooooooo much has happened...

Happy BELATED birthday Cynthia!!  I had to have a TV US back in Sept.  Showed tons of cysts and elargements...  I was on chemo in May and June and had no cycle up to the time that I had that first US.  They then made be do an MRI- wasn't as bad as the US, but showed a cyst and fibriod.  And, I got my period in the mean time, so the onc thought everything "exploded."  They made me have another TV US last week (Merry Christmas to me) and it showed cysts on the OTHER ovary...opposite from Sept.  Onc is not concerned, but gyn will probably freak.

Layne- thanks for the kind words RE me remembering to take my tamox.  FORGOT last Weds.  I figure I am destined to forget once a week.

Mellow- good luck and lots of good karma to you RE your biopsy! 

Honeygirl- your comment RE cutting your hair made me laugh!  I don't dare cut my hair...I've waited so long for it to grow back.

Basha- I've come to accept my grey...  I started going grey when I was 17 (when my mom died).  All I ever did in the past was put a rinse in semi-permanent color...  Haven't tried anything lately.  Thinking of leaving it "au-natural."  Everyone says it looks good (both color on length).

Ashaby- loved your comment RE having grey hair but acting like you were a kid...or something like that...

Hard to remember all the comments!  I think I still have chemo brain.

Does anyone have swelling in their hands??  I have noticed that my rings don't fit me.  I know I've gained a couple of pounds, but my fingers are fat like it was 100F outside.  It's so weird...and frustrating.  I bring it up to my onc every time I see her, but she just measures my arms and doesn't really offer an explanation.  I was wondering if this swelling or edema is part of the tamox...or my herceptin.

Ok, sorry for the huge long rambling post!!

Happy New Year ladies!!

Virginia

• garnetann
    garnetann Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2007
    Options

Virginia, I remember reading something about some of the weight gain from the tamox is from retaining water which is the swelling in fingers and feet.  The number one cure for retaining water is to drink water because it flushes out salt and sometimes the body retains water because it thinks it is short on water. 

I for one am  preparing for a better 2008.  Happy New Year all!

• VirginiaNJ
    VirginiaNJ Member Posts: 314
    edited December 2007
    Options

I know I should drink more water...hopefully that will help...

I need to lose weight...but like the girls in my other thread, it's enough energy to try and kick the cancer's butt...and if ice cream made me happy, so be it...  (Wrong attitude, but the best I can do now).

I am actually a lifetime member of Weight Watchers...have gained and lost 50+ lbs twice now.  Unfortunately, I'm on the up-side of that vicious cycle!!

Happy Happy!!  :)