Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options

Comments

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2011
    Options

Finally compiled my Top 10 Tips for preparing for MX/BMX (Ok it's more like 40 tips condensed!). And I absolutely agree, keeping our sense of humor is ESSENTIAL! (I'd much rather be laughing than crying.)

Never thought I would have to re-visit my mastectomy days but after I had my BMX with TEs (and 4 drains!) on Feb 3, my right TE had delayed healing and I had to have it removed last week.

So now I am back with a drain. It should be coming out on Tuesday. I just keep telling myself, this too shall pass...

• becmag
    becmag Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Options
    In late August I am scheduled to have a unilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction.  Thank you all for your suggestions and lists...it really helps to prepare!Smile
  • dlebleu
    dlebleu Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2011
    Options
    For drains, try Pink Pockets - they are a brand new invention - self-adhesive pockets that you peel and stick to your clothing. No pins. Remove from your clothing when drains are gone. Patients LOVE them - people from all over the US, Canada, UK, and Australia have been using them and they all say how wonderful they are - when you have drains, it's a real pain but these Pockets can really help. I wore them after my reconstruction surgery when I had to use drains. www.pink-pockets.com Have them before you leave for the hosptial!
  • Unknown
    edited July 2011
    Options

Rennasus, that's one of the best lists I've ever seen! Want to toss in a shout out for Lotsa Helping Hands - you can input meals + other tasks (i.e., household, childcare, rides, etc.).

To all - my BMX with immediate reconstruction + Alloderm is scheduled for Sept. 19th (my second BC dx, new primary, almost 10 years after stage 1) . . . taking lots of notes and preparing myself physically & mentally with your help! Thank you!

• Rennasus
    edited July 2011
    Options

SAOlsenberg: So glad you liked the list! Hope it helps.

Good luck with your surgery. Sorry to hear you are "back" in the club. You have lots of support here!

• Rennasus
    edited July 2011
    Options

dlebleu, the pink pockets look pretty cool.

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324
    edited July 2011
    Options

Thanks everyone for the list of to do's!  Got busy today with the extra house cleaning and made a shopping list for tomorrow.  My daughter-in-law is a hair stylist and said she will do my color and cut on Thursday before my surgery on Friday.  Got to look my best!  Since they said no nail polish before surgery, she also said she would do a pedi on me after I get home!  Any suggestions on very easy hot weather meals.  It's so hot outside these last few days and more to come that even putting the oven on for just pizza is a strain on the air conditioner! 

• Rennasus
    edited July 2011
    Options

Kitty, hopefully you figured out what to do with regard to meals and that your surgery went well!

Right here on BCO there are recipes (organic recipes too) and tips for meal planning during treatment. FYI! 

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324
    edited July 2011
    Options

Thanks Rennasus!  I will check it out.  Surgery went well and the pathology results proved clean margins and clean lymph node.  YEAH!  On now to therapy and meeting with the Oncologist. Kitty

• katiekabooom
    katiekabooom Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2011
    Options

okay, here are the things i wish i had prepped before my bilateral lumpectomy:

Wished i had stocked up on adhesive gauze pads - 4"x4" or bigger + steri-strips -- it was great to take these off, but i wanted to put more on after a while.

Wish i had done a thorough housecleaning -- i was bagged after surgery and haven't been able to clean up the way i'd like.

WIsh i had prepped more food -- easy to heat, healthy food like veggie stews. And wish i had prepped more crudite to munch on so i didn't just stop eating. Just one less thing for H to deal with.

Love my nook for reading -- the light weight makes a big difference.   And I totally agree - lots of pillows and a big soft snuggly blanket to look forward to coming home to.

• Unknown
    edited August 2011
    Options

Great list, katiekabooom - question for you and all the other wise women here - when you say "lots of pillows" - how many is "lots?" And I've heard that a wedge pillow can be good to prop up the knees - thoughts? Been thinking about the book weight issue - been jonesing for a Kindle - would you say it would've been really tough to read a regular book post BMX? Have a ton on my list, some here at home - those are softcover so maybe manageable - ??

Thanks, all! 

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited August 2011
    Options

At home I was able to get by with 4 pillows. One for each side and 2 under head to prop me up into a semi-sitting position.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,828
    edited August 2011
    Options

A big thanks to all who have contributed to these lists. I am scheduled for a BMX with immediate reconstruction (implants) on September 7th and am trying to be as prepared as possible. I have DCIS and IDC in one breast. Both appear to be stage 1 and grade 1 but I am afraid that they will find something different at the time of surgery. I am trying to be very positive and most of the time I am. I have moments where it all so so unreal. Today, I was shopping for button front pajamas. The cashier was chatting about how pretty they were and how lucky it was that I found size smalls, etc. She must have thought I was rude because I just stared at her. In my mind I was saying, " I am not buying these because I want to. I am buying them because I have breast cancer and am soon to have a bilateral mastectomy!". Of course had I said that out loud, she might have freaked out. Anyway, will continue checking back here for more tips.I am very happy that I will be able to start the school year (surgery is 2 1/2 weeks after the first day of school). Guess I'd better get going on getting my classroom ready! -exbrnxgrl

• Unknown
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hey exbrnxgrl - aren't these helpful lists? Your post resonated w/me - I'm slated for a BMX with immediate reconstruction (saline implants + Alloderm) on 9/19 and have been shopping this week - I didn't luck out on PJs (that'll happen next week) but I bought a bunch of button-front shirts and had similar experiences w/sales people . . . just looked like I was a "regular" person out shopping in the afternoon, but inside, I was BS that I had to be doing it!

Don't know if you saw, but there is a Sept. 2011 MX thread started here: 

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topic/772514?page=1#idx_9

If that link doesn't work - it's w/i this forum and I just posted to it - I'm excited to connect with more women who're planning, preparing, worrying, freaking (or maybe not!?). No one "gets" this like other women going thru it! 

• exbrnxgrl
    edited August 2011
    Options

Sarah, Thanks for your support! Today was difficult. The mother of a former student of mine and a long time part of our close knit school community passed away after a very long fight with BC.She was quite ill when I was diagnosed so I never told her about my situation. As a matter of fact, only my principal and the HR department in my school district know so far. I am afraid this will be a great shock to my colleagues and the parents of my students. I plan to tell them (parents) at Back to School night which will be a week before surgery. I guess this is just life! Back to helpful hints, I used a wedge pillow after abdominal surgery many years ago and it was great. Just bought another one and I forgot that it makes reading in bed very comfy too. My daughters (27 and 21) are threatening to buy me an iPad and I probably won't say no. My older daughter's name is also Sarah and she and my son in law are expecting their first baby in March.  I have great motivation to stay positive throughout this ordeal so I can enjoy my first grandchild. -Caryn

• RangerMom
    RangerMom Member Posts: 205
    edited August 2011
    Options

Please tell me more about what helps to read a book. I'm so looking forward to being able to read but didn't think about holding one up, etc. What's a book nook? Thanks

• exbrnxgrl
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi RangerMom,  A Nook is the e-reader by Barnes&Noble, similar to a Kindle (amazon.com). iPads also have an e-reader. Very light weight, "virtual" page turning, quick downloads. Some public library systems allow free downloads to the Nook, not sure about the others. Some devices also have internet connection for web surfing,e-mail, games etc. Hope this helps. I would love and iPad!

Caryn 

• Unknown
    edited August 2011
    Options

Oh Caryn, that's awful about the mother of your former student, and yes, I'm sure folks will be saddened to hear of your dx and impending surgery, but I'm also pretty sure you're going to get support from places you never thought you would. It's hard to tell people, though, especially if they've just mourned the loss of another woman in your community. I'm sorry you have to go through this right now . . . times are hard enough.

Your tip on the wedge pillow is great and I think we have one somewhere here - my husband has a bad back and although we purged a lot when we moved last year, I think that might've made the cut. It's on my list to find.

'Sarah' is a great name, and that is so exciting about your first grandchild! That gives you something BIG to look forward to. I think grandparenting must be the greatest gig, ever.

I think you should take your girls up on the iPad - my husband has one and loves it (as does our almost 8-year-old). I have been thinking this might be my excuse to finally get a Kindle - might be easier to handle than actual books. One thing I'm looking forward to post-surgery is being able to read a lot - never get enough time for that!

• RangerMom
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi All who've had surgery, Question - does the hospital send me home with what I need to take care of myself for the bil mx and 3 drains? I just don't want to go buy something that I won't need or use again? thanks!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi, I can answer your question not from experience but from what I've heard on this forum and some others. The answer is, some do, some don't! Some women have mentioned that their hospitals gave them recovery camisoles with drain pockets, other said they were given safety pins so drains could be pinned to clothing.I have an appointment with the breast surgery care coordinator on 8/15 and this will be on my list of questions. Your hospital/surgeon/navigator would probably be the best place to go to ask about what will be done in your particular situation. I did order two recovery camisoles because I personally don't want to mess with pins or fanny packs and I know I will feel better if I look more pulled together (frumpy makes me feel bad :( ). If my hospital provides similar garments, I'll just return the ones I've ordered. Hope this helps. -Caryn

• RangerMom
    edited August 2011
    Options

thanks Caryn - I will call my hospital breast cancer contact and tomorrow I've got surgical pretesting and they may know also. Let me know what your coordinator tells you on 8/15. I go in for surgery the next day.

• wolfe33
    wolfe33 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Options

Just a quick tip for recovery at home...I had bilateral MX with immediate DIEP reconstruction on June 1, 2011.....my DH found and ordered me a "Bed Lounger" online.  It is amazing!  I didn't have to spend a single night in a recliner!!!  I used it for sitting up and eating as well as sleeping on it in a semi propped up position.  It is basically a big wedge pillow thing with soft comfy arms AND it has pockets on the side to keep things in reach.  AWESOME!  I am well outside of needing it any longer, but still use it all of the time.  The best investment we ever made!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited August 2011
    Options

Love these lists, especially when there are specific brand/styles of things listed. Someone (?) recommended mens undershirt style tank tops as easy to step in to. I bought some by Fruit of the Loom (mens medium) but found that they weren't stretchy enough at the neckline to step in to without a struggle. I returned them (Target) and found, also at Target, Mossimo brand micro-rib tank tops. These were easy to step in to and pull up. They came in many colors and I will be able to wear them as layering pieces at all stages of my recovery and beyond. $9.00 each but probably cheaper if they have a sale. Since September and early October are usually quite warm in my area, I think I will be wearing them a lot and they are soft enough to sleep in and will look cute with the many pj bottoms I own :)   Caryn

• Rennasus
    edited August 2011
    Options

The best thing to do is ask your plastic surgeon what he/she will be sending you home in. But you will still need to purchase something else to live in while the other is in the wash!

Every PS is different, so call their office, their nurses should be able to tell you what your PS uses!

• gkodad
    gkodad Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2011
    Options

I had a left mastectomy on 8/8/11 - no reconstruction.  One thing that helped the most were meals in the freezer so all my husband had to do was pop things in the microwave.  My sister and I had a weekend cook-a-thon the weekend before my surgery.  We had fun and it took my mind off myself. Also reorganzing the bedroom and bath so I didn't have to use the surgical arm to reach for anything (I'm left handed).  Clothes that zip up the front.  I got a drain pocket with a velcro strip and it stuck to just about everything.    Clean the house before your surgery, then forget it for a while and just try to relax and recover.  I'm still taking it easy, although I getting pretty restless.   

• Heidenia
    Heidenia Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2011
    Options

If you have smart phone you could download the free kindle app for you phone. Xoxo

• MemphisJ
    MemphisJ Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi, everyone. I'm preparing for my surgery September 7th. I am having a double mastectomy (and sentinel node biopsy) with no reconstruction, and I am unsure of whether I'll need any kind of binder or other post-surgical wear. I plan to burn all of my bras at a healing circle with friends and family the night before the surgery. I was born too late to be one of the original "bra burners," so I am looking forward to watching them blaze! Plus, I'm presently a DD, so I can't see how they would be of any use to me post surgery. Will I need some kind of support, or do y'all think I can just wear the bandages?

For anyone coming after me who has a question about where to find good front-closing bras for the larger "sweater kittens," I recommend either justmysize.com or junonia.com. Junonia used to carry a front-zip sports bra (I haven't shopped for new bras in a while - hope they still carry it) called the "zippity sports bra" that I absolutely LOVE and highly recommend.

• Rennasus
    edited August 2011
    Options
    MemphisJ: Call your plastic surgeon's office and ask the nurse what your doc plans to send you home in after BMX without recon. No two surgeons are exactly alike in their methods; some women only have bandages, some compression vests. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery!
  • haley1963
    haley1963 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Options

my hospital gave me a tank top with two pouchs that velcro on the inside it works great 

• exbrnxgrl
    edited September 2011
    Options

A few ladies were wondering about the usefulness of recovery camisoles with drain pockets. Kaiser paid for mine and I think many ins. carriers do. I like it so far as it keeps drains snug to my body and is very stretchy and comfortable. I used pins in the hospital but like the cami more. I have the Amoena brand and also a Softee Two. Caryn