Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options

Comments

• Hoolianama0508
    Hoolianama0508 Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2009
    Options

My suggestion is get more pillows to prop you up. After my first night home, I sent hubby out for 6 new pillows and that made a world of difference.

• chele
    chele Member Posts: 132
    edited December 2009
    Options

I found the Boppy to be quite the miracle pillow!!  I didn't know what it way, just knew that it looked like something I could wrap around my neck to make sleeping sitting up easier.  IT DOES!  I still use it even though I'm back in bed because it helps remind me to sleep on my back.  I LOVE it!

• cheryl41666
    cheryl41666 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2009
    Options

Hi.  I have ben diagnosed with DCIS, stage 0 cancer in 2 quadrants of my left breast.  Since I have a rare neurologicaI disorder, the only type of reconstruction I can have is a tissue expander with an implant.  I am trying to determine whether to have a unilateral or bilateral masectomy.  Anyone have any problems with the range of motion with the arms weeks after the surgery?  I also have a blood disorder and I will need to get DDAVP.  Anyone have any bleeding problems after surgery, hematoma and infection???  What happened and how was everything handled??

• Bless
    Bless Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2009
    Options

cheryl41666,

I just sent you a private message.  I'm afraid that the ladies who might be able to give you answers or advice, might not see your post on this thread.  You might have better luck starting a new thread with a subject that indicates the type of help you need or questions you have.  Then if someone looks at the active topics the subject will catch their eye.  Good luck.  I'm sorry that I can't answer any of your questions directly.

Bless

• DiDiT
    DiDiT Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2010
    Options

Amen and I second the back scratcher!  Had surgery the 18th - bilat mx w/TE's - Had intended to visit this thread sooner, but with xmas, facebook, checking on other bc sisters, etc etc, I just got around to it!   Back scratcher was the only thing I didn't have that I could have used a lot!

CoolBreeze - so sorry to hear about your bad nurse experience...especially since I'm a nurse - haven't done direct care nursing for years - BUT HATE TO HEAR stories like yours!

I had surgery at the Center For Advanced Medicine - Siteman Cancer Center.  It's on the Washington University Campus, part of Barnes Jewish Hospital.  ANYWAY, had no idea what to expect...BUT my nurse was incredible!!  They do primary nursing - eliminates so many different caregivers in your room, reduces risk of infection.  Don't know if that's why they do it, but DAWN on day shift was, again,  GREAT! 

As far as the iphone, I took an extension cord, had my husband plug it into the wall, had my phone in bed with me the entire time - when I was awake, I checked facebook, email, etc.

Spent one night in the hospital.  Had a foam wedge for the bed when I got home - it's great, I'm still using it!  Depending on which way it's placed, you can be in an almost sitting position - Can probably get at pharmacy that sells 'durable medical equipment'.

Anyone getting ready for surgery - feel free to pm me with any questions...I have relied heavily on this site since dagnosis.  Got me through chemo, helped with my surgery decisions - let me know that I had choices with reconstruction.   Being able to view photos of 'what to expect' and hear other's experiences prepared me for surgery and the loss of breasts...I want to give back and help anyone  in any way that I can!!!

Love to All!

Di DiWink

• KatRNagain92
    KatRNagain92 Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2010
    Options

This is my pre surgical list (Jan 25th) from what I've learned from everyone here.  I spent yesterday 'nesting' and got my room all ready. 

Hand sanitizer
    Roll on Deodorant
    travel toothpaste and reg toothbrush (someone said a vibrating toothbrush is too much)
    Anti-bacterial adult wipes (in a pretty dispenser)
    Caepocol lozenges
    Tylenol ES
    Benedryl
    colace stool softener
    Neosporin
    Clipboard or notebook (for documenting when you had pain meds and drain amounts)
    Blistex
    face moisturizer
    Antiviral Kleenex
    Bendy straws
    paper cups and light weight coffee cups
    extra sheets to keep in rotation
    Lots of pillows or a wedge
    Back Scratcher
    zip up track suits or button down extra large jammies
    softee two a recovery camisole
    medical gloves (latex free or powder free)
    paper tape
    reading glasses
    Daily Devotional book

Edited to add:
    Small kitchen garbage bags for dressing disposals
    a little plastic waste can

• shadow2356
    shadow2356 Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2010
    Options

One thing that helped me a lot after I came home was a chair in the shower. They have special chairs for that, but I just used a resin outdoor chair. It really helped me a lot. I was able to take a nice relaxing shower despite being weak. I didn't have to worry or have help.

• bcincolorado
    bcincolorado Member Posts: 4,700
    edited January 2010
    Options

I had a left mastectomy and a TE placed January 7th.  I reviewed all the suggestions and had many on-hand when I got home.  I especially found Colase to be helpful and bendy straws!

One of the best items we discovered my aunt mailed me.  I have long hair and we had tried to purchase no water shampoo at a medical supply place, but it wasn't working well.  My aunt mailed me these shampoo caps that also contain conditioner and work great!  You can buy them on-line or at several stores.  The web site is:  http://www.comfortbath.com/

It is the shampoo cap in the middle section.  I know they bought them at K-Mart but other stores sell them as well.  Definitely worth passing it on!

• Cecilia1949
    Cecilia1949 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    Options

very small, very soft pillows that can be placed under your arms to relieve pressure and makes it less painful

• PS73
    PS73 Member Posts: 171
    edited February 2010
    Options

Here is a holistic approach to preparing for surgery for anybody intersted: 

Take 2-4 weeks prior to surgery and continue 4-6 weeks post.  All are taken with food except the enzymes and the homeopathics. 

Vitamin C - 1000 mg 2-3x day

Vitamin A - 25000 IU day

zinc 30-50 mg day

copper 2-3 mgs day

flavenoids citrus bioflavenoids 500-1000mgs 2-3 day or centella asiatica 30mgs 1-2 2x day (choose one)

systemic enzymes neprinol 2-3 3xday

arnica montana- no caffeine with this. place four pellets under tongue the night before surgery.  after surgery, as soon as you can take fluids 4 pellets under tongue 4x/day - day 1; 4 pellets under tongue 3x day - day 2; 4 pellets under tongue 2x day - day 3; 4 pellets under tongue 1xday - day 4 then stop.  may repeat if healing is lessened.

• mom2Bnegativex3
    mom2Bnegativex3 Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2010
    Options

I am having a bilateral mx with TE and I am wondering what if any bra I need for after surgery. What size would I get? Will I be totally flat and need a very small one? TIA!

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited March 2010
    Options

Mom2Bnegagivex3, I had 3 different surgeries in 2 yrs (two lumpectomies last was bi-lat with expanders) and each time I woke up with a surgical bra from the hospital. I did however have some front closing sports bras that I wore when the doctor gave me the go-ahead to take off the surgical bra. You may want to ask your surgeon or plastic surgeon what is their protocal regarding bras after surgery. If they do suggest bras, get the front closing sports bras in a band size larger to allow for post-surgical swelling.

Sheila

• Tinkerbell99
    Tinkerbell99 Member Posts: 193
    edited March 2010
    Options

& ask around there..they r a gr8 group of women who can help u  as far as i know thehospital provides u w/ a bra after surgery

• Embraced
    Embraced Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Options

I'm new to this site.  What does "bump" mean?

Embraced

• lvtwoqlt
    edited March 2010
    Options

Bump is a way to bring an older topic up to the top of the forum or top of the active topic list when somebody has a question that has already been asked. hope this helps. There is a topic about abbreviations to newbies that explains a lot of the abbreviations that are used.

Sheila

• Tinkerbell99
    Tinkerbell99 Member Posts: 193
    edited March 2010
    Options

Beofre anyone goes for surgery i am posting soemthing that the women on another forum here are talking abt. MAJOR PAIN AFTER bmx .....read these articles b4 going for surgery & talk to your dr...one woman on this forum had this & she is pain free..

Doctors have known about the use of paravertebral nerve blocks for a long time....so I am wondering how a paravertebral block differs from the procedure mentioned by our Canadian sister, Souad?  Did some of us, all of us, none of us receive this paravertebral nerve block prior to mastectomy?

Published in 1998:

Ann Surg. 1998 April:

"Use of paravertebral block anesthesia in the surgical management of breast cancer: experience in 156 cases"

. E Coveney, C R Weltz, R Greengrass, J D Iglehart, G S Leight, S M Steele, and H K Lyerly 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1191303/

Published in 2006....

Preincisional Paravertebral Block Reduces the Prevalence of Chronic Pain After Breast Surgery

http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/cgi/content/abstract/103/3/703

Published 2008:

"ACUTE AND CHRONIC PAIN FOLLOWING BREAST SURGERY"

Authors: Serene H. Chang, Vivek Mehta, and Richard M. Langford

Barts and The London NHS Trust, United Kingdom

Received 16 July 2008;  revised 9 December 2008;  accepted 2 January 2009.  Available online 10 February 2009.

Summary

Background

Successful acute pain management after breast surgery remains challenging, and if not achieved, may increase the likelihood of subsequent chronic pain.

Aims

This article aimed to evaluate the evidence for varied techniques described for peri-operative pain management in breast surgery, and to review the literature on chronic pain after breast surgery and particularly ‘post-mastectomy pain syndrome'.

Method

A Pubmed search was performed, with the key words "mastectomy" and "pain" for articles in the English language in the adult human population (age > 19 years), looking specifically for different analgesic techniques that have been evaluated.

Results

Thirty-three peer-reviewed publications with pain outcome data were included, ranging from 15 to 289 patients per study (total n = 2104). Twenty three were randomised controlled trials and the rest were prospective or retrospective audits and case series. Inconsistent trial methodology precluded a meta-analysis. Paravertebral local anaesthetic nerve blockade resulted in lower pain scores and fewer side effects than opioid-based regimens. Three risk factors emerged predicting chronic pain post-mastectomy: higher post-operative pain scores, age <65 years and inclusion of major reconstructive surgery.

Conclusion

Paravertebral block should be considered for use in major breast surgery. Pain control should be optimised/a priority for both acute care and to potentially reduce chronic pain.

• mradf
    mradf Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2010
    Options

Bumping

• jenweg
    jenweg Member Posts: 55
    edited March 2010
    Options

Just wondering how long recovery is after a bmx with expander reconstruction?  My surgeon tells me two weeks.  Is this true or longer?  I work in an office and sit all day nothing hardcore!  Just nervous about being home for too long.  I am one that cannot sit still. 

Thanks.

• lvtwoqlt
    edited March 2010
    Options

My surgeons had me out of work 4 weeks after my bilat mast with expanders. I could have probably gone back sooner (like you office job) but I didn't push to go back sooner. I spent most of my time watching movies and sleeping.

• jenweg
    jenweg Member Posts: 55
    edited March 2010
    Options

Thanks for the info!!

• bookart
    bookart Member Posts: 210
    edited April 2010
    Options

I'm sure that some of this has been noted before, but for me, these were helpful things - multiple copies of my meds list, so that I have one for each of the many dr's I must see; a small notebook with all dr's names, phone numbers and addresses and pharmacy phone number; a wonderful pre-surgery meditation tape with pre and post surgical suggestions made while you are under anesthesia - cuts pain, promotes healing, etc - I can't think of the authors name, darn it!; also, two of my friends gave me soft fuzzy blankets - one was bright pink with rainbows on it, and I've slept beneath it since my surgery on Jan 12 - it makes me happy and it feels good against my incision - i couldn't sleep with anything else touching my chest for a long time.  I HIGHLY recommend a bright, soft fuzzy blankie.  Makes everything better.

We had bought a propping-up bed chair thingy, but wish we had gotten a wedge, the bed chair thing was WAY too heavy for me to lift into place or remove, so I didn't use it at all.  After bilat with no reconstruction Jan 12 2010, I'm just now sleeping on my side for short periods.

Ditto to everyone saying have someone stay with you for the first week or two.  Also, having a pre-made grocery list and someone lined up to do it and put it away is good, too.  You only THINK you will be back to normal in a few weeks, or that hubby can handle it, or that you have enough of everything.  

Having a meal prepared (by someone else) or planning on eating take-out for the first few days or week AFTER you go back to work is a good idea.  Too pooped to cook, that's for sure.

• mtbookworm
    mtbookworm Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2010
    Options

A couple of things I would add to the list of things to pack. Special foods if you have any special dietary needs. the first facility where I had my BMX knew what a gluten free diet was. The nurse even went to the store to buy me special bread for my sandwich. When I had a node dissection nine days later I had to go to the regular hospital and they had no clue what to feed me.

The other thing that has been a lifesaver for me is to have one of those cushy travel pillows shaped like a C. It helped with sleeping in my recliner (which I might have to burn when this is all over). The other thing is I got baggy clothes but didn't take into consideration what the weather would be. Most of my things were for cooler weather and our weather suddenly went into the 70;s and I was roasting. Capri jammy bottoms are great. Also I got button front shirts but I would suggest that they be really soft or silky material. I also agree with the other ladies about having the post surgery camisole. I love how soft it is and can kind of hold everything close and the pockets for the drains are awesome. Check with your insurance carrier, we have military insurance and they paid for me to have two just try to get them as soon as you know you are having surgery so they can get your size if they don't have them in stock.The other lifesaver if you are able to shower is a shower chair (found one at the Goodwill) and a hand held shower head. Found I could lean over wet my hair and then wash it without having to lift my arms too high. Well thats all I can think of now and I hope it helps someone.

• NSWTD
    NSWTD Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2010
    Options

I found this thread before my surgery and it really did help. I went to the discount store and purchased a 6 pack of soft cotton camisoles and too big grannie panties.  I had immediate recon so could not wear a bra for about 3 weeks..the camisoles were great. I wore them under larger button down shirts. I actually had no trouble finding good things to wear that looked almost normal to me.   I already had stretch yoga-type pants and clogs to slip into.   If I found I wanted to go out, i would just wear 2 camisoles that day, so that nothing would show thru.  

The other thing I did since I had to travel out of state for my procedure is to pack my "going home" bag for my hubbie.  I said, when I am ready for discharge, just bring this bag and I will be all set. I have everything I needed in it. I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to wear home, so I had a couple of shirts, pants, so I had choices.  Worked great.   

I kept a little cosmetic style bag with a comb, chapstick, mirror, toothbrush, etc so I could reach it at all times.  Also I always had my nurses keep a damp washcloth within reach as sometimes just wiping my face and neck with cool water felt really good when I was in the hosp. 

• mmaring6131
    mmaring6131 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    Options

Hi everyone,

Your suggestions have been great.  I just got out of the hospital two days ago (May 6) after a bilateral mastectomy (I'll get the abbreviations down shortly, I'm sure).  Synchronous IDC so no real choice. One suggestion I want to add to the list that helped me in the shower was to fashion a drain pocket out of a zip lock bag with two holes punched and some string laced through.  I could shower and wash my hair (well, husband washed the hair) without the drains flailing around.  The drains have been the most uncomfortable aspect of post-surgery days so far.  Not being able to stand up straight and take deep breaths is also hard.  Surprisingly, I felt less grief and more relief when I looked down and did not see breasts.  It was very hard anticipating the bilateral mastectomy, and I felt a deep sadness and mourning the week or so before surgery.  Now, when I put the post surgery camisole with breast forms in, I look almost normal in my clothes and it isn't nearly the shock I expected.  I'm not planning on reconstruction, but who knows, that may change. There will be ups and downs to all of this but I feel like I'm capable of dealing with this and at times, I wasn't sure.  

My thoughts are with you Panchoandlefty, and thank you to the group for being such a support for  the newly diagnose/treated.  I've been lurking for weeks and have learned so much and found such comfort in your words.

• m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 340
    edited May 2010
    Options

i was in hospital 4 days with my bilat mx w/TE's. Before i went into hospital,i did all the usual,moving stuff to within arms reach,i fully spring-cleaned the house,got in lots of provisions. Luckily my hub took 2 weeks compassionate leave from work so was there to help me and to cook and clean!

some other things i took into hosp with me apart from whats already been mentioned,are, my mini laptop and 'dongle' so i could get online (plus charger!),my mobile fone and charger,sweets to suck on,all my usual skincare routine stuff(yes,the whole lot!),my make-up(which i didnt use),money,puzzle books,pens and paper,reading glasses and contact lenses,hand sanitizer gel,sanitary wear (i bled after surgery even when i wasn't due for some reason).

I also got my hubby to go and buy 4 more pillows and another single duvet.

I spent the first week or so sleeping on the sofa propped up,but when i did go to our bed,i found it so hard and uncomfortable. So i put the spare duvet on my side,under our double duvet,and slept on top of it! I am still sleeping on it now and my op was Feb 16th! Its soooooo much softer than just laying on the matress and sheet. I fear i may stay on it always!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,811
    edited May 2010
    Options

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone!  I'm having DIEP recon in Boston in 3 weeks, and am a compulsive planner.  I started my list of things to do and things to pack 3 months ago, then this morning I went through this thread and added and deleted items.  Thanks to your generosity in sharing your experiences I feel like I have a list that will help be be prepared but not fo overboard, which I tend to do. THANK YOU!

• Sams_MominAtlanta
    Sams_MominAtlanta Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    Options

Hi Ladies.  I'm having a unilateral (right) mx with expander put in on Wednesday at Emory Hospital.  These tips are going to be very helpful.  I was looking over them again to see what I may have missed.  Earlier I thought I saw a suggestion here for an antibacterial soap to be used before surgery to reduce the risk of infection.  Now I cannot find it.  Does anyone remember where it may be found?

I had four rounds of Adriamycin/Cytoxan with CPIN and other problems and  I could not continue to the Taxol portion of my treatment.  Am 55 years old, not exercising and very worried about how weak I feel.  I have a 23 hour stay in the hospital, whiich the PS said was a gift.

m very concerned about PT and OT.  Is it possible to have home health care?  

Would very much appreciate prayers for the surgeons, my family and me this Wednesday.

Love,

Sheila

• lvtwoqlt
    edited June 2010
    Options

Sheila,

My doctor said just get any soap that is labeled as antibacterial and use that even liquid hand soap would work. I think Dial is one brand of bar/liquid soap, but brand doesn't matter, just so it says antibacterial on the label. Also my thinking is just the practice of using any soap and warm/hot water and scrubbing removes most of the bacteria from the skin whether it is antibacterial soap or not.

Sheila S

• Bigapple09
    Bigapple09 Member Posts: 247
    edited June 2010
    Options

Hibaclens is the soap they mostly recommend

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited July 2010
    Options

Bumping for momtomygirls/Cheryl who is having surgery on Monday ~