Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options
1333435363739»

Comments

• rljes
    rljes Member Posts: 499
    edited December 2021
    Options

Hi - I was diagnosed 2017, and was scheduled for a dbl BMX.then chemo. I got on this site and bought out the drugstore, I had my contractor come over and make storage shelves to hold everything. fast forward 2021/2022 - my storage is still full with things I never used. the things I i did use were 'panty liners", things for constipation and diarrhea - things to help soothe my nose. bought 10 pillows to prop me up -and medication for acid reflux. But - It made me feel better having all this stuff since I lived alone and wanted everything at my finger tips because there would be no one to go get something I needed. dont feel bad - get what you want to make you feel secure.
    Besure to join the specific groups "I started chemo in December ....." or I had BMX in August ....... best off luck Dancemom!

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,579
    edited January 2022
    Options

I guess one other tip I would add is, especially if you are doing immediate reconstruction and are in the hospital a few days, is to separate things into different wash-sized bags by importance. For example, I put my letrozole, partners phone number, a pen, my phone, and headphones in a brightly colored wash bag that was easy to say to the CCU nurses "grab the blue and white striped one" (especially when I was still coming around and was under that god awful hot blanket). In another bag I put charging cable, back up headphones and something else tech related so I could ask for the "beige bag". And then finally all my toiletries in a proper zip top toiletry bag.

I just used old airline wash bags, but Target usually has some options in the $1 area that could be useful too!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2022
    Options

Sondra - GREAT idea. Something I had never thought about. Thanks for posting.

• minustwo
    edited January 2022
    Options

Bumping for Skeet

• Skeet69
    Skeet69 Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2022
    Options

thanks for the bump! Such great help!

• minustwo
    edited January 2022
    Options

Bumping again for new surgery questions

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 404
    edited January 2022
    Options

I want to say the wedge and a ton of pillows were the most important items I bought. I sleep on it low with pillows on the side making a little valley keeping me on my back, and used the pillows behind me to be seated. The post-surgical cami barely got used because I found the elastic on it plus the "bra" velcro thing I got in the hospital was too much pressure on the drains. Also, I preferred the clips outside my shirt as the clips gave me a rash.

I suggest asking for everything at the hospital. They gave me an extra post-surgi bra to alternate, said I need the compression so anything with something resembling cups is out. They gave me gauze, paper tape, gloves, alcohol wipes, Basitrasin (sp? I do need more). Pretty much everything I needed other than button front tops and pillows, all unasked.

My BIGGEST help was my daughter who counted out, timed and recorded all the meds and drainage. The first few days my brain was asleep.

Sondra's idea to seperste personal items into seperate bags in your main bag was brilliant, thanks!!!! I was only there overnight, it helped!

• minustwo
    edited January 2022
    Options

Bumping for new questions

• minustwo
    edited February 2022
    Options

Bumping for Kkubsky

• minustwo
    edited February 2022
    Options

Bumping for BlueGreenBaby

• nipab
    nipab Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2022
    Options

one more thing I found useful. Long chord to charge phone. I took 6 ft long charger cable and it was neede

• ecdeluca
    ecdeluca Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hello! Question for those who are on the recovery side- silk pjs have been recommended but I wonder how much difference you feel the style of pj makes. Specifically for the first and second weeks of recovery when the drains are still in, how much difference does button up vs zipper make? And did you find long sleeve more of a hinderance to get into than short sleeve? I've also seen some tie closures, would that be easiest? It's very hard to imagine exactly what the limited range of motion will impact when it comes to the finer motor skills. Thanks so much for the feedback. DMX scheduled for 4/4/22!

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 209
    edited March 2022
    Options

ecdeluca-I had sleeveless cotton gowns, I get too hot, but did have tie robes and zipper ones. I did a SMX and put that arm in first. Since you are DMX, it will be different for you. I also didn't do silky pjs, because I'd probably slide out of bed, plus they're too hot for me, lol.

• minustwo
    edited June 2022
    Options

Bumping this to move it back to the top of the active list (if such a thing still works)

• beebee22
    beebee22 Member Posts: 45
    edited June 2022
    Options

I had unilateral mastectomy with DIEP flap end of last mth. This is what I think sufficient for the ICU and ward:

1. Hair band
    2. Facial cleanser + sponge
    3. Serum + Moisturiser
    4. Breast pillow
    5. Power bank
    6. Laptop/ ipad/ any gadget that u can watch Netflix or any saved drama/ movies.
    I was discharged 4th day post-op. At home, I have at least 3 pillows with me when in bed: two for the head...and one for the leg. I have a recliner at home which is quite useful. I have a chair in my bathroom, useful for showering and the chair is useful when I do my morning grooming, i.e. brushing teeth and washing face. As the abdomen scars is pretty low, I don't wear underwear at home, I am with my compression bra and SARUNG most of the time. So, may be get yourself a few pairs of sports bra and SARUNG too.

Get yourself hydrated, so may be a few water tumblers, always ask the one who take care of you to fill up the bottles.

• BritinPas
    BritinPas Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2022
    Options

I have a recliner I used to recover from three breast surgeries to give away in Pasadena, CA. Open to anyone who can pick up relatively soon. I'm not sure where to place this on the thread so let me know if need to move this post. Wishing you all well!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,911
    edited June 2022
    Options

britinpas, that's very generous of you, thank you! Maybe you can post your comment in the following thread, where you will find people from your local area: Topic: Anyone in So Ca area?

Check out this forum too, a place to donate & trade breast cancer items: BCO Free-Cycle: Give or Trade Items Related to Breast Cancer

Good luck, and again thank you for your generosity!

The Mods

• cherrycow
    cherrycow Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hi,

I'm prepping for my mom's upcoming mastectomy. What is 'skin prep wipes' to help prep the skin for tape and other adhesives. What kind of wipe is this and where can I buy them?

Thanks,

Cherry

• Blinx
    Blinx Member Posts: 82
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hi Cherry -- They sound like the little single-use alcohol pads. I came home from the hospital with a bag full of stuff that the nurses gave me to make me more comfortable (non-adhesive pads for inside the bra) that included these wipes. I didn't use any tape at all -- the wipes were used to "milk" the drains by sliding them along the tube to push all the fluid into the little bulb before emptying. 2x per day for 1 to 2 weeks. I didn't need to buy any.

• minustwo
    edited July 2022
    Options

Cherry - Nope - not alcohol. They are special wipes that go on your skin BEFORE tape to keep the skin from breaking down or developing a rash. The most common one is 3M Cavilon No Sting Barrier. You (or the nurse) wipes it on before applying a bandage or tape. Commonly used by people who have colostomy bags. And available at many specialty drug stores AND Amazon - and sometimes WalMart.. Many infusion center keep wipes in stock - since they're starting infusions & lines regularly. Goes along with special tape that doesn't pull the skin. Again, the easiest tape to find is Medipore soft cloth tape. For every one of my surgeries, the hospital OR had that on hand - IF you ask. That said - I always carry some with me just in case.

There a long thread about these products. I'll try to find it and post the link

• minustwo
    edited July 2022
    Options

Cherry - here you go. Read the header & you'll get lots of information even if you don't sort through all 71 pages

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topics/767669?page=71#post_5752770

• cherrycow
    cherrycow Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2022
    Options

Thank you minustwo and blinx. It took me a while to find your reply, sorry new to this community.

My mom is going to have a mastectomy on her left without reconstruction. Is that considered an open breast incision? I'm also confused about this item on the home prep list "Size 1 baby diapers, sanitary napkins or nursing pads for open breast incisions" Is the wound going to be exposed and oozing so that she should put the nursing pad on? But if she's not going to be wearing a bra, do I tape the nursing pad to soak up whatever liquid that's coming out of the incision area?

• minustwo
    edited August 2022
    Options

Cherry - She sill have stitches or tape strips to close the surgical incision - it will not be left open, But it may be oozing. Most hospitals will put you in a mastectomy bra after surgery even before you wake up.. Check with the doc to see if you have to buy your own. They are very loose, but enough elasticity to hold a pad in place to catch any bleeding or oozing. I used the smallest, inexpensive sanitary napkins. Another option as the wound starts to heal & gets smaller is light day panty liners. They can self stick to the mastectomy bra,

There are threads that discuss a single mastectomy. I had both mine removed so am not an expert, but I expect down the road she will want to get a prosthesis so she looks even under her clothes. I wouldn't worry about a fitting for several months. Or you can search for 'knitted knockers'. Some cancer centers have those and they are lighter. What she ends up with sort of depends on the size of the remaining breast.

• minustwo
    edited August 2022
    Options

Cherry - here are a couple of broad subjects. Each of these have tons of topic threads. You can scroll down to see what might be relevant.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91

Surgery – before during & after

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/82

Living without reconstruction

• Blinx
    Blinx Member Posts: 82
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi MinusTwo -- Thanks, I didn't know there was such a thing! I wonder if they used it on me. Years ago after my lumpectomy I got such a rash from the tape holding the drains (I don't think they were stitched in). Ever since then I make sure that adhesive tape is listed with my known allergies. I could use something to get the tape residue off. Days after my recent BMX I was finding places on my body where they must have taped things down during surgery.

Hi Cherry -- The hospital sent me home with many different types of pads to put over the incision and drain "holes". This was mostly for comfort, depending on what your Mom will need. My incision was closed with glue -- there were only one or two very small spots of blood left on the pads. At a pre-op appointment, ask what the hospital usually provides when the patient goes home. Or ask the breast care coordinator, if your hospital has one.

• minustwo
    edited August 2022
    Options

Bumping for new members