Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Comments

• suefly
    suefly Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2011

My sister just got me two soft, button fleece shirts from Lands End, and they have pockets on the INSIDE (for drains)! I looked them up though, and the only color they have left is white, and sizes are limited..but it may help some of you.

• PinkPockets
    PinkPockets Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2011

Best wishes on your Feb 8 BiMX. I'm 2 years out from mine - had tissue expanders for 5 months then swapped to silicone implants (don't believe this new nonsense news about 60 people in some million+ users over 13 years contracting a very rare kind of lymphoma - its junk news). In any event, you mention having a good solution for drains - I have come up with another in case what you have doesn't work or you have someone who will need drain relief too. www.pink-pockets.com.  Patients love them - my plastic and breast surgeons love them and tell their patients - my oncologist does as well. You never know what kind of lemonade you can make out of (pink) lemons. My best to you!

• suefly
    suefly Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2011

Thanks for the info, and support!

• Huskerkkc
    Huskerkkc Member Posts: 471
    edited February 2011

Had a lumpectomy three days ago. I had trouble finding front-hook or zip sports bras. I found one at Dillards but it is a tad too tight on my incision right now. I much prefer the soft camisoles in place of a bra. The nurses got me a "Softees" brand to wear from the hospital and it was very comfortable. I also bought a few camisoles at Younkers, bamboo fabric. Jockey brand. I don't think it would be as good for mastectomy because of limited arm movement, but it has worked great for me. I don't think I'll look for another bra and hoping these will see me through radiation. 

• cling
    cling Member Posts: 263
    edited February 2011

Sophie mentioned to wear a hoodie inside out which would have built-in pockets, so I headed to store to buy a hoodie.  I found in Walmart that "Danskin Now" brand has hoodies with outside pockets and inside pockets!  It is a single layer light weight material, but should work as a PJ with drain pockets for the needed time.  It costs $10, with several cheerful colors!

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797
    edited February 2011

Do you know what the order number for those are?

• lou10
    lou10 Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2011

Sorry if this duplicates points already made.

I bought a loose and very cozy button-up fleece top to wear to the hospital. Big mistake. It was great for after surgery, but I was stifling for hours waiting in crowded waiting room before surgery. I should have worn something underneath so I could take off the fleece before surgery.

No one told me that my throat would be extremely sore ... I sure needed numbing throat lozenges.

I needed an expectorant to dislodge mucous in my chest. Not sure if that's because I have asthma.

I didn't think I would need a laxative as I have IBS -- say the word diarrhea and I have it. But I did need a gentle one initially after the pain meds they gave me in hospital.

I was on antibiotics for a week after surgery. With my IBS, I had a dreadful time with cramping and diarrhea. Ended up crawling on the floor the cramps were so bad! That lasted until a day after my last antibiotic. Next time I'll get some acidophilus supplements (unfortunately I don't like yoghurt) to see if that helps.

• ChrissyMH
    ChrissyMH Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2011

Wow - renting a recliner.  Who knew?  What a great idea - especially when your condo will only fit one temporarily.  I'm going to research this.  Thanks!

• motherofpatient
    motherofpatient Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2011

Keep bumping - I put this into my favorites for my daughter's future surgery. Thanks

• HKCrazee
    HKCrazee Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2011

Ear plugs - there seems to be continuous noises all night in a hospital unless you are in a private room!

Also business / calling cards to keep in touch with the other ladies who share your ward and also your BC journey with you,. -

• A_pallens
    A_pallens Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2011

JBinOK,

I am 2 weeks out (scheduled for March 21 or 24) from bilateral mastectomy with sentinel node biopsy on left side.  I LOVE the idea of renting a recliner.  I am in South Florida.  Where did you find one to rent for such a cheap price?  Anyone else have ideas?

• SuebeeBC
    SuebeeBC Member Posts: 545
    edited March 2011

JBinOK - good reminder on the recliner.  We have a dual recliner couch with the pull down table in the middle - I was able to push in the button on the left recliner but wouldnt have been able to on the right side.  If I had a BMX, I wouldve had to call in my hubby to do it.

As for pillows, a standard bed pillow was too large for me personally on the recliner, so my daughter made a couple of varying lengths/fluffiness.  I used one for my arm because when it was all the way against the chair, I would lose feeling in my arm...the other had dual purpose as a night pillow for my head and a laptop cusion in the day.  But pillows were crucial.

As for ear plugs - I used my iPod and put the earbuds on my chest at night....I could hear the music and it dulled the rest of the noises - but didnt keep me from hearing when someone came in to check on me of give me meds.  I also had my cell phone so I could call my BFF once everything was quiet and I needed somone to talk to.

• A_pallens
    A_pallens Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2011

@ JBinOK

Thanks so much for the reply!!!  We have those stores here in Florida so I'm going to check it out.  I might also look into buying an inexpensive one and just donating it after I'm through all this. 

• certified
    certified Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2011

Great idea.  But how/why is sleeping in a recliner better than in bed? 

• certified
    certified Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2011

I live alone and have no one to stay with me post-op.  Can I manage by myself?  I've always been self sufficent doing most things with no help.

Quite frankly the whole idea of mastectomy/lumpectomy really scares me, much more than chemo or rads.  Probably because of the recovery time and not being able to do everything for myself.

I have  6 more weeks of Taxol then the surgery probably in May or June..

• JeanneR
    JeanneR Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2011

Certified - Personnaly, I would have found it hard with nobody, specially in the night, I needed somebody to help me out of bed as I was in so much pain. I did sleep in a recliner, it probably would have been better. I think I really needed somebody for at least 2 days, however, I have read in other treads, where some people have not much pain and are quite good after the operation. Mind you, I had a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. It is apparently a lot easier if you do not have an immediate reconstruction or if you only have a mastectomy in one side. Good Luck Honey.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    edited April 2011

I had a dbl mx and slept in bed the whole time. Just used lots of pillows and slept in silky type P.J.'s. That way I could slide in & out of bed very easily. Didn't have anyone extra staying with me. My husband still had to work so was alone most of the time. And when he was there, he wasn't much help. Actually I think I may have gotten along better if I had been alone. The more he tried to help, the worse it was. Finally just had to tell him to let me do it myself. Didn't really have a lot of pain the whole time. Everyone is different. Here's praying you will have an easy time of it. God Bless & Good Luck. Leisa

• Unknown
    edited April 2011

I've had 3 lumpectomires over the last six years (now I'm headed for BMX and reconstruction).  After each lumpectomy they told me to wear a sports bra for the first 24 hours.   Not hugely comfortable, but I am also small breasted (barely a B), so I normally come home and immediately take off my bra after work.  The sports bra did seem to help with the swelling-and I had minimal after one, and none after the other two.  Slight disocloration, but nothing drastic.

• Unknown
    edited April 2011

I've heard alot about chamis with little built in pouches for your drains.  I know they sell them at the store in the hospital where I'm going, but I've also heard you can get them on line-I think at "pretty in pink".  I have had a couple of friends who wore them post BMX and said they were very comfortable and an easy way to deal with the drains.

• shinypop
    shinypop Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2011

The suggestion of Rentacenter and getting a recliner that way is such a huge relief of anxiety. Found a couple of nice jog bras on amazon and the nice list at the beginning and it sounds like I'm all set for a double mastectomy with spacers in my pecs. Now we just need to teach the bunny and kitty that running across my chest is not the best plan for the middle of the night. 

• okeefe7544
    okeefe7544 Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2011

Just thought I would add to this list, Had my surgery April 1st, "April Fools Day!!"  Double Mastectomy with spacers.  I too slept in a recliner for the first few days but couldn't wait to get back in my bed.  The best idea, a wedge pillow.  A friend gave me one, I think you can buy them at Bed, Bath and beyond? Allows you to sleep upright, making it easier to get in and out of bed.  You can not have enough pillows!!  Use panty liners for your drains, cut them to fit under your drain, prevents them from rubbing.  After the first week when you can wear a regular sport bra, could not find the right one, all of them were too tight.  Went from a 36 to 42 or larger if I could find one but still two tight, now wearing camisoles without the inside bra and feels much better. 

Is anyone frustrated with spacers, so tight!!  Feels like I am wearing a metal bra held together with a rubber band!!

• BirdyRobin
    BirdyRobin Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2011

Hi all,

I like the idea of panty liners under the drains, I have herd the drains can rub the skin a bit. I will have four drains (my surgery is this Monday and I am have a double mx) two on each side. I am hoping to come up with an idea on how to handle 4 at the same time. Did anyone else have to deal with 4?

Shintpop, lol on the bunny and cat, sometimes I think my kittys use my body as a supper-kitty hwy.Smile

I have recliners in my family room, my bed also adjusts, but dh can only sleep on it flat at night. I think I will use the recliners at night, bed during day...something like that. Really good ideas!

Thanks Robin

• BirdyRobin
    BirdyRobin Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2011

Oh, I might add I am in love with Lavender so I figured I would take a sachet or my little neck pillow filled with lavender.

Robin

• okeefe7544
    okeefe7544 Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2011
    Best of luck on your surgery Robin, we will keep you in our prayers!!  Never heard of 4 drains?  I just pinned my grenades to my sports bra.  When taking a shower i tied them up with a shoe lace around my neck.  The best day is when they took them out Embarassed 
  • Unknown
    edited May 2011

Robin,  I just saw my PS for my final pre-op and he told me I will have 4 drains as well.  Two out after the first week (depending on the amount of drainage) and the other two the next week.  I didn't remember this from my first conversation-thought he had said 2 and out the first week...sometimes I think I just get on information overload....Good luck

• mommaof4
    mommaof4 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2011

I just wanted to add a few things

- Ponds (or other brand) face cleaning wipes, baby wipes, and those disposable Wisp toothbrushes has made my first week of recovery much easier. Just not having to get up to wash my face etc...  if I'm not feeling up to it I just do it in the recliner :) 

• Lili2
    Lili2 Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2011

Hi all,

I'm about 2 weeks out from my double mastectomy (w expanders). I wish I had gone on this forum before surgery, there are so many great tips from all of you, especially on the little pink pockets and inside out hoodies for those darn drains!! Undecided

Here are some post-op tips that I would like to share with those of you getting ready for surgery...

Don't overpack for the hospital - you'll be wearing a hospital gown until you leave, you'll be drowsy from pain meds, and mostly healing and resting. If you can, have friends/family bring what you need as you need it.

Bras - found a GREAT replacement bra for the post-op bra you get at the surgery (once you're allowed to change bras...): Fruit of the Loom, front-close (hooks) racerback sports bra. Comfy and low profile, cotton w 5% lycra (it breathes!), machine wash and dry, cute under T-shirts/shirts, etc, and CHEAP - no use in spending a ton of money until you know what size you'll eventually need. And my plastic surgeon gave it the thumbs up, too!

I bought a few medium sized flax-seed pillows (a lucky find at my local Japanese market), that turned out to be life savers as they were pretty heavy, and stayed firm but shaped nicely around my body and gave me great neck/arm/back support wherever I was laying or sitting.

I also got a Japanese water cooker. You'll have hot water (boiling, or just under as per your wishes) all day at just the press of a button - no heavy lifting involved! Have someone help you fill it up in the morning, and clean it at night, and you're good the whole day. If you love your tea (or instant coffee, chocolate or soup, I guess) it's perfect and well worth the expense.

Placing things so that they are within post-op reach - this turned out to be key! Taking it easy, being mindful and careful, and realizing that you do need help is really important! But if you're anything like me, very self-sufficient, you'll go crazy asking for help the whole time. Being able to pick out my own clothes (hang low, with easy access - no heavy closet doors, or drawers!), reaching the tooth brush, toilet paper, meds, snacks, books, remote controls, and making a cup of tea, etc, without constantly asking for help made me feel really good.

Non-childproof caps for meds - as mentioned in the original post... Pushing and twisting simultaneously was almost impossible for me the first week after surgery - it got really annoying, and it comes back to that whole self-sufficient thing...

Short hair - I'm starting chemo in a week, and I'll most likely loose all my hair during treatment. Although I'm planning to shave it all off before it starts to go on its own, I wanted to keep it for as long as I could without going from semi-long to completely bald in one step. Enter the pixie-cut. The bonus was the super easy, and hygienic, upkeep post-surgery - I highly recommend!!

The most important thing: As much as you can, fill your pre- and post-op life with positive friends, and fun entertainment. A lot of people want to help and/or visit, and if they bring smiles and light, can-do attitudes and energy, let them! You'll appreciate the diversion, and a great laugh (although be careful with laughing out loud too close after surgery ;) is the best medicine. Smile

• didigro
    didigro Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011

one thing you MUST have if you're going to have drains, is a sleeveless button down loose shirt! also a belt(from a bathrobe) to tie around ur waist that u can strap ur drains to! AS for sleeping, unless you're used to sleeping on ur back(Im not) then I suggest you get a body pillow. If you get pain pills like percoset make sure you EAT before taking them or you will get a naseous,a banana or yogurt is fine! I stayed only 1 night in the hospital after my double mastectomy and the next day I was up and around on my computer-lol-right in THIS FORUM! This was in 1996, I was 35. Everyone thought I was nuts cause I wasnt in bed..but we all recover at our own pace. No lifting, get a binding bra, like a very snug sports bra. drink plenty of fluids..I had my drains for about 10 days-after that it was a walk in the park. Good luck....I wish you the best hon...

• misszed
    misszed Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2011

Hello - l am 11 days post op and came home with 3 drains..they are a pain. Getting the last 2 removed first thing tomorrow thank god!!  l packed my bag but only used my button shirt that had my pink pockets in it.....nothing else...hospital had wipes, lotion, wipes and my nurse gave me a sponge bath 3 days in a row!  I only used my ipod to sleep due to all the beeping noises but l had a private room so not much outside noise. Best thing to do is call the hopital surgery dept and ask what is provided.  i did have my soft pillow for the ride home, to shield the seat belt.  Good luck and wish you a speedy recovery!

• JulieGeek
    JulieGeek Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011

I went on a bilateral mastectomy trip and this is what I took:

1) A short haircut

2) A house coat with pockets that snapped up the front (from Kohl's)

3) The nifty heart-shaped pillow that was a gift from a local church (thanks Northpark Presbyterian!) for the seat belt

4) Two small soft pillows, one for under each arm

5) iPod and netbook

6) My sister who's an RN (thanks Sissy!)

7) A twin bed in the guest bedroom attached to a bathroom with a reading pillow/backrest and pillows under my knees

8) The cats

9) A back brush for the shower to wash my hair and everything else I couldn't reach

10) The wildly attractive lavender flowered stretchy tube top Velcro front binder thingy they put me in at the hospital

11) Two Moving Comfort Grace zip-front sports bras

12) Button front men's shirts in fashionable fabrics sized large

13) Leggings and knit elastic waist pants

14) Slip on shoes

15) A hook that is the right height to hang shirts and coats on so you can dress yourself

16) Dishes and food set out on the counter where you can reach them

17) Patience and a sense of humor. Seriously--some of this is freaking hysterical. Some time I'll share about trying to get the cat inside during the ice storm...